Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
This column and the A/V Club are my reviews of choice. All others can gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Vargo posted:

You picked them, didn't you? Everyone always picks them.

Well duh...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I really liked Skyline...Devil on the other hand....................

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Something Awfilm?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

ProfessorClumsy posted:

That's terrible.

How about Somefilm Awful?

Well you're a bug stupid-head! (Actually, yours is so much better)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Who got stuck with Hall Pass and what kind of revenge are they plotting?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Who is John Galt?

A extremely poorly written character with wooden dialogue.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I'd like to see all the reviewers tackle an older movie and see how their reviews differ...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Nucular Carmul posted:

Professor Clumsy: wrong about Iron Man, wrong about Thor :colbert:

Agreed. :colbert::colbert:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This. And we disagree with you

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Bridesmaids for the sweet sweet tears it shall bring. Tell you what, I'll watch it too so you won't feel so alone.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Jay Dub screaming always starts my week out right.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I enjoyed Columbiana only because of Zoe Saldana.

The rest of the cast, especially Michael Vartan, was awful, but Saldana was so good as an action hero it overrode my 'get up and walk out' instincts.

That being said; the reviews this week were perfect for the poo poo that was just released.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Nucular Carmul posted:

It begs the question: Is SJP actually capable of doing anything that isn't in some way a ripoff of Sex and the City?

Dressage and Sulky Pulling

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
But they were very nice tits.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Jay Dub posted:

From a strictly business sense, it's pretty simple. The Stieg Larsson books are really popular in the US. Foreign language films generally are not. Studios know there's money to be made from remaking the film for American audiences.

I'm a fan of plenty of foreign language films, but if Hollywood wants to remake one of them with a talented director, I'm certainly not against it.

compare Infernal Affairs/The Departed

with

[REC]/Quarantine

or

anything entertaining/Jack and Jill...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Jay Dub posted:

Do I really need to go back to my last post and italicize/underline the word 'talented'? I'm not saying I want all foreign language films remade into English. I'm saying if David Fincher wants to take a crack at Dragon Tattoo or if Spike Lee really wants to remake Oldboy, I'm willing to at least see what they do with the material before dismissing it completely. If the news breaks tomorrow that some nobody got the job to direct an American version of Akira, I'd be much less interested than if they hired, say, the Coen brothers.

Speaking of which, it turns out Contraband is a remake of an Icelandic film called Reykjavik-Rotterdam. Now I've never heard of this film before, nor have I heard of the directors of either film (turns out the director of Contraband played the Mark Wahlberg role in the Icelandic version). That said, I'm now at least interested in seeing the original, which is not something I would have said this morning. Whether or not a person gives two shits about a film being a remake is entirely up to that person's taste in movies. A lot of people don't care about the original and only want to watch it in English; that's fine. Like Bedevere said, those people are just gonna miss out on some excellent movies that happen to be in another language.

Sometimes a remake can come from some really talented people; sometimes it's completely motivated by money. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo strikes me as an instance where it happens to be both.

No, I'm absolutely agreeing with you. Scorsese and Fincher did excellent jobs of reinterpreting the material because they are talented and not hacks. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo had astonishing boring legal poo poo in both versions so it wasn't that the remake added it.

Now if Dennis Dugan attempted a remake I would run screaming.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Sheldrake posted:

To a point. But Heigl has still been in better movies than Aniston, handily.

Like 'Killers'?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Messages are for IMs and phone calls. Movies are for entertainment.

Sure, some are art but not all of them by any means. I'll watch just about any type (except rom-coms) once, because by-god somebody thought it would be worth making. If I get entertainment out of it, I'll be more than likely to watch the next director/screenwriter/actor's effort. If I don't I'll be a lot more wary of their work.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Gyges posted:

Perhaps you don't speak a lick of Italian, but love to listen to Italian opera because you find the way it sounds enthralling. Or maybe you like the look of an arrhythmic fiber optic pulse, but don't notice the Morse Code message. You are always free to ignore the message and engage art on your own terms, but that doesn't mean that there is no message contained therein.

Substitute Russian for Italian and that's it exactly.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Oh gently caress no.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I think all the reviewers threatened to drink strychnine instead.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Dark Knight Returns was a cool Christopher Nolan techno-thriller that just happened to have Batman in it as the protagonist. It was not a Batman movie. I liked it anyway, because I like good techno-thrillers and it was easily good enough that my love for the Batman character wasn't crushed by it not being a Batman movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I watch Nigerian action movies and this looks like a step beyond their legendary production quality. I have to see this.

• Locked thread