Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
When the hell is Legally Sane gonna review something?

That's what I wanna know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Vargo posted:

Also regarding "Legally Sane" (Don't scroll if you don't want everything ruined.)

He's a character created by Professor Clumsy

That hasn't stopped Donovan Laird from contributing from beyond the apocalypse :colbert:

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Vargo posted:

I'd actually like to hear more about this idea. Do other people feel this way? What exactly is it that make it seem out of place with the rest of the site? Off-hand, I'm guessing it's that the Current Release page is (somewhat) straightforward, but I don't think you can even say that when this week's ends with Jay Dub telling a (assumedly fictional) director's assistant "MAKE BETTER HORROR MOVIES rear end in a top hat!"

A while back I remember seeing Current Releases described as "Relatively straightforward reviews (for Something Awful standards)" or something like that. It's a tough balance to strike. Go too far in one direction and we're just reviewing movies like every other toolbag on the Internet. Too far in the other direction and we're a bunch of braying jackasses with nothing interesting to say.

This week I tried something a little different because I didn't have too much to say about The Last Exorcism other than "Yeah it's pretty good, check it out." Ironically, it's probably closer to what we ought to be doing more of anyway. V:shobon:V

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

ProfessorClumsy posted:

1) That was Vargo, not Jay Dub.

I wasn't gonna say anything...

:argh:

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Johnny Walker posted:

On another note, I now want to see Winter's Bone, a film until now I had never heard of. Maybe you guys should work in more lesser-known movies every once in a while. Not every week or anything, since I doubt many would find that all that entertaining, but it's something to consider.

I'd love to review more of the lesser-known stuff, but that's entirely up to the theater managers and whether or not they decide to schedule a talking animal movie that week.

Speaking of which, the only reason RE: Afterlife is numerically worse than Marmaduke is because...um...well I guess I was feeling generous that day?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Dear real film critics,

It is entirely possible, and indeed quite easy, to write a full review of Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole without making a single owl-related pun.

Yours Truly,

Current Releases

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Vargo posted:

A message from the future from Donovan Laird

What the gently caress, how the hell do you know that? Is Gmail's time-o-gram feature out of beta yet or something?

I thought I was special. :sigh:

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Aww, gee... :blush:

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
From where I'm sitting, it's smooth sailing until at least August.

I've got a bullseye painted on the back of my head with the word "Smurfs" in the middle.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I noticed this on GBS last night...

FlamingLiberal posted:

[The Nostalgia Critic] just released his Christmas special, and it was actually pretty funny. It was a sendoff of the 'It's a Wonderful Life' trope, except in reverse.

NC decides to quit reviewing, and his 'guardian angel' shows up to try and convince him otherwise. He then shows what would happen if NC was never born.

Even though the end results aren't quite the same and they're different mediums and blah blah blah, I'd just like to state for the record:

Goddamn it.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

CowOnCrack posted:

This one:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/gamer-ad-pictures.php

I really enjoy articles that string together random pictures into a narrative, and this one is my favorite. This one hit all the right buttons as I am a shameful video game addict. The first two made me giggle like a little schoolgirl.

Yes, that sure was a good article I wrote. Yes, indeed.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Now watch me hate on True Grit.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

You didn't like it?

Nah, I'm kidding. It's good.

Wouldn't that be a bitch, though?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
We started doing reviews well after The Wrestler left theaters.

For my part, I really dug it. In terms of Aronofsky's resume, it does a lot of the same things that Black Swan does, albeit not necessarily to the same effect or for the same purpose. They both really feel of a piece, but I think I might prefer The Wrestler. Then again, that may just be because I watched a lot of WCW wrestling as a kid. And of course, Mickey Rourke 100% loving owned that movie. And Marisa Tomei? :drat:

Also, positive reviews are hard to write and even harder to make entertaining (see above).

e: "see above" regarding me, not Vargo.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Let that be a lesson. Ask us to talk about a good movie, and we'll loving pounce on it and never shut up.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Vargo posted:

I think I prefer Black Swan, but that may only be because I've seen it more recently, and it's much more the kind of film that stays with you.

Of the two, sure, Black Swan is the more visually distinct. The Wrestler seemed much more like a docudrama about an aging wrestler. It was shot much more in the style of, well, a crappy pro-wrestling program. Black Swan is far more of a cinematic experience, but The Wrestler seems much more grounded in reality. Then again, it's also less of a body horror movie. Oh well.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
It's okay, you can say it.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Honestly, is there anyone we don't have a fake longstanding rivalry with?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Typo correction:

"I may not be a fan of Kevin James' comedy, but I'm now jealous of the man for doing something I'll probably never get the chance to do."

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Last week, TheBigBudgetSequel drew up an awesome fake poster promoting a fake podcast that ProfessorClumsy, Vargo and I would fake record every week.

Then I made this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tt-uw9WgqA

And now it looks like it may actually happen. :haw:

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Clamknuckle posted:

You should do custom banners because they're cool. The review of Son of the Mask reminded me of that "documentary" Jamie Kennedy did which was basically him crying for an hour and a half because no one liked the movie.

Kickin' It Old School?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I still stand by my review of Easy A. 80s nostalgia can officially go gently caress itself. (I'm looking at you, Take Me Home Tonight.)

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
So 80s nostalgia is totally awesome and writing a script where the main character goes "John Hughes this! and Cameron Crowe that!" is something people actually like?

Okay, fine. If that makes me wrong, I'll be happy and wrong until the day I die.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

This. This is why you get to see movies like The Smurfs.

Mr. Wrong Wrongington.

Yes, that's the reason. It has nothing to do with ProfessorClumsy being a sick bastard sadist who likes wasting my money for the sake of comedy.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
When I say it out loud, I can't help but pronounce "Awfilm" like I'm saying "Awwwww yeah..."

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Hey Jay Dub, what movies are you guys doing this week? I assume Drive Angry, but anything else?

I've got a thing or two to say about Hall Pass.

Also, this week's reviews will be up on Wednesday due to circumstances entirely within beyond our control. To make up for it, we're preparing a special post-Oscar surprise.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

I wonder if he likes the photoshop banners :ohdear:

What the hell's all this photoshop crap? That's what Phridays are phor! :argh:

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Vargo posted:

Martin R. "Circle-Jerking human being" Schneider.

The Planet's HarshestTM Film Critic

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I'll take these things into consideration this week, because Sucker Punch looks completely loving stupid.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

King of Bleh posted:

SA has a long, long history of reviewing things, and, yes, Current Releases is probably the least funny, least spiteful, and most sincere of these features, but the difference isn't as great as you're making it out to be, and to a certain extent the change does reflect the changing tastes of a certain subset of the community.

I think people are just weirded out by Current Releases because it's not super mean and elitist like the music reviews generally are, silly like the video game articles generally are, or steeped in loathing like the old school hentai/awful game/awful movie reviews were. That doesn't mean it's not Good.

Trust me, we're acutely aware of this. It's not easy trying to marry the SA brand of humor and serious film criticism, and sometimes we may not make it work, but it's an ongoing experiment that we enjoy doing and some people seem to enjoy reading.

Where I think The Ace is wrong is that, yes, we do still try to poke holes in our own corner of the internet. Look at how often we call out "real" film critics for doing some of the stupid poo poo they tend to do. Taking potshots at blurb-whoring critics like Peter Travers and Ben Lyons is kind of our thing. Sure, we could probably call Vince Vaughn an assbutt more often, but would that really make what we do any funnier or more thoughtful? (It might, what do I know?)

I try not to say a whole lot in this thread because I don't want to give the impression that I'm desperate for attention, but this is the kind of feedback that really keeps us focused. We appreciate it, really (you too, The Ace).

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I'd like to thank Vargo for asking me to write the foreward to his upcoming tell-all memoir Making Babies with Vargo. Lord knows he didn't have to, especially after completely ignoring my advice on not making babies with strange women in truckstop bathrooms.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Hahaha, that is awesome. At least the guy's mixing it up a bit.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Dectilon posted:

That was a much more apologetic review of Atlas Shrugged than I expected.

Honestly, there is nothing less interesting to me than political discourse. I understand why the political Right would want to make such a movie and I understand why the political Left would hate such a movie. None of that bullshit has anything to do with Atlas Shrugged as a piece of cinematic storytelling.

It's political intentions are amazingly childlike in their simplicity, but the film itself is only somewhat incompetent. It would be perfectly at home on the Hallmark Channel or Lifetime or one of those other stupid TV channels that think they can make real movies.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Y-Hat posted:

Would you say that the movie is very heavy-handed with its agenda or is it overshadowed by boredom?

There's plenty about the film that is definitely boring, but the moments where it starts to beat on the Agenda Drum are some of the most comically heavy-handed bits in the whole film.

Like there's a scene where Congress passes a bill limiting the number of businesses a person can control to one, and Rearden acts like this is the end of the world because he's been building his business empire all on his own and blah blah blah. So it comes down to this silly emotional scene where he signs away all his mining and oil companies one by one to family and friends, when as far as I could tell, nothing was stopping him from simply consolidating all his companies into one. But because this is a capitalist fantasy, there's no such thing as loopholes or anything that would make Rearden and Taggart's mission any easier.

The way the movie pares down its conflict into "Business Good, Regulation Bad" is really only done to make the government look like a pack of meddling children pitching a fit because the rich kids won't share their toys.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Dectilon posted:

Something I'm hoping you'll do some time is have a 'round table' discussion about movies in general, the health of the medium and maybe even the state of professional criticism. :tipshat:

This right here is exactly why we need a podcast or something.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I'm thinking maybe it's time we added pointless videos that play automatically at the top of all our reviews.

Everyone else is doing it.

e: Like that guy. VVV

Jay Dub fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 2, 2011

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Vargo posted:

The truth is... I didn't think Thor was great either. It's not as bad as Clumsy says, but it's not that good.

I guess I'm gonna have to be the white knight on this one. I had a lot of fun with Thor. Granted, that might be the 2AM daze of the midnight screening talking, but I really dug how thoroughly the film committed to the combination of Branagh's Shakespeare-crazy and Jack Kirby-celestial crazy. The film goes balls-out nuts in the design work and the silly operatics, and I really think that makes the film as a whole more palatable. It could've easily fallen into parody or drab/grittiness if it tipped its hand too far in either direction, but I thought it toed the line nicely.

I'll admit that character development really isn't the film's strong suit, but I'm willing to forgive it because of how ultimately simple the story is. Some of the action sequences aren't shot particularly well and parts of the plot seem like pure happenstance, but otherwise I found Thor to be a perfectly serviceable superhero flick.

It's a far sight more fun than most of the recent superhero films, anyway.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Y-Hat posted:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/current-movie-reviews/priest-something-borrowed.php

Why wasn't there more of a fight over who would see the movie Kate Hudson wasn't in? Also, the "Barack and Michelle Obama" comparison isn't un-PC at all.

Vargo let me choose. I chose. Wisely.

And I realize it's no big deal to talk about the Obama comparison, I just figured it'd be a little funnier to pretend to make a big deal about it. Oh well. V:v:V

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Vargo posted:

I actually escaped my captors long enough to get access to a laptop. This is what I chose to do with that time.

I told those idiots to password-lock that poo poo.

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

ThemeMusicC posted:

You know, if the highest rated movie for a week is a 6/50, I think it's okay if you guys don't have a Movie of the Week.

But if you're under extreme duress and must choose between Priest, Something Borrowed, and Jumping the Broom (for example, in the event that you find yourself in a Saw-esque cinematic death trap), how will you know what to choose?

• Locked thread