Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jay Dub posted:

I'd like to thank Vargo for asking me to write the foreward to his upcoming tell-all memoir Making Babies with Vargo. Lord knows he didn't have to, especially after completely ignoring my advice on not making babies with strange women in truckstop bathrooms.

Those weren't women, they were congressmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Who is John Galt?

A extremely poorly written character with wooden dialogue.

And in the movie played by the director....

Dectilon posted:

Except perhaps the Hypocrites.

I am hypocritically with you...

Bedevere fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 19, 2011

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Wait till his wife finds out!

:downsrim:

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jay Dub posted:

We may have to face the apocalyptic possibility that Smurfette, the one and only female Smurf, is a lesbian.

Great, this thread is about to be derailed over the whole "how do smurfs reproduce" thing.

I hope they reproduce like mammals and go extinct, because smurfette really has a whole bestiality thing going with Azrael. I just made this poo poo up and yet I can guarantee someone has even drawn that exact coupling on deviantart.com...Took 2 seconds to find something close...

http://kojinkaluigigodzilla.deviantart.com/art/A-Smurfy-Friendship-91266072

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Way to get the site sued, assholes! Now Rick Lowtax is gonna have to shut this place down! :(

And the heathens have been bitching that Current Releases wasn't funny enough for a comedy site...I hope they are laughing now!

Actually I am surprised it took so long for someone to get all 'sperggie about the reviews. I guess poking fun at Christians is always a surefire way to get a response.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The Pfeiffer office scenes were shot at the EMI Publishing offices in NY over a two week period. It was pretty annoying to people who actually work there because Pfeiffer didn't want anyone to actually look at her while she did her scenes, and no one was allowed to move around when she was there. It was even more aggravating because they built a whole office inside an office smack dab in the middle of the actual office space leading everyone to wonder why they didn't just use a sound stage since there was almost nothing of the actual office space showing in the movie.

Also the entire conversations of every person was recorded separately and edited together. Meaning any shot of Pfeiffer talking to Effron, or anyone else, literally never took place, but was edited together after the fact. They never even appeared on the set on the same days, leading me to wonder if conversations are pieced together ala Lucas camera 1 to camera 2 style.

Effron was pretty cool and actually hung out and let the ladies chat him up.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Re the Dragon Tattoo...

I hadn't seen the original movie and did so after reading the review and thought it was a decent film. So thanks for that.

I am unsure why we need American versions of films that were perfectly fine in their own language (Let the right one In comes to mind). I have heard people who otherwise seem pretty intelligent and capable go on about how they can't stand subtitled movies, baffles the poo poo out of me. Guess they don't get to partake in Kurosawa and so their lives will forever be lacking.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Along these lines sometimes altering the time frame or perspective, or putting a remake in the right hands can be a great thing - I am just baffled about the mentality around a film being panned because it isn't in "American."

I am also baffled about the need to remake good movies. There is an incredible array of films that didn't need to be remade; Stepford Wives, Fame/Center Stage, Planet of the Apes, Rollerball, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Psycho, Disturbia/Rear Window and so on. Seriously, how big are your balls when you think "I can do a Hitchcock film better than Hitchcock!"

Oh wait, it isn't in color, which means it's un-American.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sheldrake posted:

October Baby discussion? Why not.

Well, I actually kind of liked that since it implicates October Baby's parents who were on the verge of admitting that it was either keeping that baby alive or being able to pay for medical school, and they went with the latter. Which is loving vicious on some level, but fits with the stated message of 'forgiving the sinner, not the sin', even if their sin is fairly glossed over. As if it's more okay since the kid was deformed anyway.

Actually my first reaction to the whole thing was "imagine the irony of them going to medical school to be able to do abortions." I am not the demographic here and am going to some religion's hell.

Vargo posted:

In Thomas Kinkade's memory, here's the review I wrote of Thomas Kinkade's Christmas Cottage.

I am waiting for the front page article on this news item. They got on Levi pretty drat quick.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jay Dub posted:

In all honesty, I'm actually surprised they didn't jam an LMFAO song into the movie, given how heavily all the marketing leans on "Sexy and I Know It". I'm willing to bet there was a heated argument in the Dreamworks office over what song should close out the film's big dance party.

Well imagine that....

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
If it hasn't been mentioned, "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" comes out tomorrow. I want this to be as bad rear end as they are playing it up to be. Would love to see a review of that.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Professor Clumsy posted:

Don't worry. It is getting reviewed and it is brilliant.

Thank you!

:neckbeard: No one I know around here seems to understand.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Your review of Seeking a Friend for the End of the World got me to watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The bookstore scene with things disappearing, pages blanking out, etc, was creepy and incredibly subtle. Thanks for the suggestion!

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Finally got to see AL:VH and I agree it is incredible. I am amazed at how they really wove the fiction into historical facts. The CGI on the train and horses was a bit much and gravity defying but I guess that's what movies do now. The pace left me breathless, they got a lot of story in and only slowed down for a speech or two. The story moves fast and is pretty relentless.

For once I actually liked the ending.

The only real downer was the audience. Once incredibly overweight guy in front of me was sitting in the handicap row (wide aisle wheelchairs can fit in) and he fell asleep within 5 minutes and snored the entire time. The family behind me never stopped talking about the snoring guy and discussing Civil War era history that they were clearly fuzzy on. At least they understood the basic context.

Edit: I meant to mention I felt like some political flag waving was very intentional - the vampires wanting a nation of their own (are we mirroring isreal/palastine?) and the position taken by Henry on slavery (and the rather pointed question coming out of that conversation). I liked it but at the same time felt it was almost too obvious.

Bedevere fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 9, 2012

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is there some joke here? My anti-virus has a poo poo over that site and it's listed in a bunch of block lists.

CORRECTION: Only Trend Micro has an issue with the domain.

Bedevere fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 16, 2012

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
No kidding:
http://global.sitesafety.trendmicro.com/

BTW I did check blacklisting and I don't see any blocks so not sure why Trend is all in a wad about your site.

Bedevere fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Now that Oprah has gotten all over the Beasts of the Southern Wild every middle aged woman is going to wet their panties over it. I'm glad for the film maker because the exposure will allow him to do more but the whole Oprah-fest bit is hard to watch.

• Locked thread