Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Sankis posted:

So, I haven't used my PS3 very much at all in the past year so I was considering selling it. Does anyone have any idea of what they sell for nowadays? It's an old, fat 40 gig from just before MGS4 came out (2008?). Gamestop.com is selling the same model, used, for $249 but that seems hard to believe considering you can get a much newer model with more HD space for $50 more.

Edit: If I did sell it and buy another in a future where I am employed and not in need of money, I'd be able to just redownload all my PSN purchases, right? No fancy Xbox license transfer stuff?

Probably half, maybe more if you can find an IRL friend willing to buy it for a decent price.

For downloading your PSN content, yeah, you just have to sign into your account on whatever PS3 and go to your download list. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Sankis posted:

So, I haven't used my PS3 very much at all in the past year so I was considering selling it. Does anyone have any idea of what they sell for nowadays? It's an old, fat 40 gig from just before MGS4 came out (2008?). Gamestop.com is selling the same model, used, for $249 but that seems hard to believe considering you can get a much newer model with more HD space for $50 more.
The older models are often valued because of PS2 BC. So you might be able to make a decent price if you sell online

quote:

Edit: If I did sell it and buy another in a future where I am employed and not in need of money, I'd be able to just redownload all my PSN purchases, right? No fancy Xbox license transfer stuff?
Yes but disable your account before you sell it, otherwise your slot is lost forever. It says how to in the op.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 12, 2010

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

RagnarokAngel posted:

The older models are often valued because of PS2 BC. So you might be able to make a decent price if you sell online

The 40 gig is the first model without any sort of BC which is why it seems so high to me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sankis posted:

The 40 gig is the first model without any sort of BC which is why it seems so high to me.

Maybe $175 - $200 for it. Although I think whatever you sell it for I think you'll have no problem actually selling it. Especially if it has a older firmware. Everyone wants a PS3 nowadays. Older firmware PS3s are being very desirable right now.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Happy 15th birthday Playstation. :toot:

15 years of Sony dominating (in my opinion) the video game market with the best exclusives of any game console since the Playstation first came out. Plus the Playstation 2 is still, even a decade later now, on store shelves and has sold over 120,000,000 units world wide.

I'd agree with you for the PS1 and PS2 but I think this console generation 3rd party exclusives are more or less dead. Unless MS or Sony personally has some part in something it seems it comes out for PS3/360 either way.

I do really like Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles though :shobon:

Fubear
Jan 2, 2005
Smarter Than The Average Bear
Is there any way to disable the title screens when you have a game selected before launching it?

I often boot my PS3 without the intention of immediately using it and really hate having to listen to 10 seconds of obnoxious title music on repeat for whatever game I have in the drive until I deselect it.

It's even MORE annoying when you have your TV volume set too high and are suddenly blasted with that obnoxious title music full volume. I don't like my electronics making noise unless I ask them to.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

sentrygun posted:

Because plugging my computer into my HDTV to act as a monitor is so hard.

Like I said before, it'll make things easier. I don't think you can argue that hooking up any device is easier than not doing it.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Bob Cthulhu posted:

Like I said before, it'll make things easier. I don't think you can argue that hooking up any device is easier than not doing it.

The thing is, getting emulation to work on your PS3 would be a lot harder than hooking up a laptop to an hd television.

At this point, the only thing that I think that has me holding interest in the current hacking of the PS3 is the possibility of cheat codes. I loved gamebreaking cheats from the older consoles and miss them here. With that said, I'd much rather be able to have an online functional PS3 and I don't want to see assholes cheating in multiplayer.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

ghostwritingduck posted:

I don't want to see assholes cheating in multiplayer.

heh, good avatar/post combo.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So anyne want to start a PS3 Homebrew thread, since there's enough info around for it to be warranted, and that way we can stop making GBS threads up this thread and don't have to worry about the peanut gallery chiming in about how PIRACY IS WRONG or whatever?
I'd do it but I know I won't have the time to stay up on the news and keep it updated, so I'd rather have a real OP instead of be the cause of the usual bullshit routine of no one updating the OP for 2 years and it turning to poo poo.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I don't think having a dedicated homebrew thread is worth it yet since it's still very early days and 99% of people will have upgraded their firmware anyways. Might as well wait a while and see if/when something worthwhile develops, all it's capable of right now is playing pirated games.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

MUFFlNS posted:

I don't think having a dedicated homebrew thread is worth it yet since it's still very early days and 99% of people will have upgraded their firmware anyways. Might as well wait a while and see if/when something worthwhile develops, all it's capable of right now is playing pirated games.

Cant you also back up your games onto the system? Thats the main reason i want this.

Tarradax
Jan 8, 2008

It will work!
I finally went and bought a PS3 early this week (Why the hell didn't I do this sooner? Playing God of War is RELAXING!) and am trying to decide right now if I should or should not update the firmware - With the jailbreak and all, I'm really undecided. Any advice would be appreciated.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tarradax posted:

I finally went and bought a PS3 early this week (Why the hell didn't I do this sooner? Playing God of War is RELAXING!) and am trying to decide right now if I should or should not update the firmware - With the jailbreak and all, I'm really undecided. Any advice would be appreciated.

You won't be able to play any games online, a lot of backups don't work or crash a lot (where their legit disc versions don't crash at all), and who knows if any real homebrew will be made or not. The only homebrew so far is a FTP program and it's pretty unreliable.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Fubear posted:

Is there any way to disable the title screens when you have a game selected before launching it?

I often boot my PS3 without the intention of immediately using it and really hate having to listen to 10 seconds of obnoxious title music on repeat for whatever game I have in the drive until I deselect it.

It's even MORE annoying when you have your TV volume set too high and are suddenly blasted with that obnoxious title music full volume. I don't like my electronics making noise unless I ask them to.

You can't turn it off unfortunately, but you can set it to start on the "What's New" screen instead. Not sure where it is in the options, take a poke around.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

I said come in! posted:

a FTP program
This isn't homebrew, it's (illegally) produced with the Sony SDK. This goes for the backup manager too.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sankis posted:

You'll probably get more if you wait until early to mid December.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The Walrus posted:

You'll probably get more if you wait until early to mid December.

Why's that? Just christmas or something I'm missing?

And it's probably 3.40 firmware. I updated it about a month ago when I wanted to check PSN for something.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

Along these lines, I'm going to be selling my backwards compatible, 60gb launch PS3 in a couple of weeks or so. Everything works perfectly and I haven't had any problems the entire time I've had it.

I'm letting any interested buyers have a crack at it here first before I put an ad up on craigslist or ebay.

PM me if you will be interested.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

Along these lines, I'm going to be selling my backwards compatible, 60gb launch PS3 in a couple of weeks or so. Everything works perfectly and I haven't had any problems the entire time I've had it.

I'm letting any interested buyers have a crack at it here first before I put an ad up on craigslist or ebay.

PM me if you will be interested.

I think you need to put it up on SA Mart, soliciting outside of there is a no go.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think you need to put it up on SA Mart, soliciting outside of there is a no go.

I will once I'm ready to sell it. Just wanted to drop a note here first to let the readers of the thread know about it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yes but disable your account before you sell it, otherwise your slot is lost forever.. It says how to in the op.

Thanks. I thiiink I did this right, but if I didn't then I don't really care. I don't have any game shares so there should be no issue with the 4 remaining 'slots' if I remember how it works.

If I format my PS3's HDD I should be fine for everything else, right? All account details, etc will be wiped? I'm mostly just worried about my PSN account being attached to the PS3 somehow.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Sankis posted:

Thanks. I thiiink I did this right, but if I didn't then I don't really care. I don't have any game shares so there should be no issue with the 4 remaining 'slots' if I remember how it works.

If I format my PS3's HDD I should be fine for everything else, right? All account details, etc will be wiped? I'm mostly just worried about my PSN account being attached to the PS3 somehow.

Yep just format the hard drive and all will be well.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
If you run out of slots, sony will just reset them all in a single phonecall for you.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

What's with all these people selling their PS3s? :smith:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Yeah really. What a bunch of scrubs. Gonna miss out on Gran Turismo 5.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fuzz posted:

I sold mine about a year ago, but I'm thinking of picking a Slim up one of these days because I never got the chance to play God Of War 3 and Uncharted 2, which both look absolutely incredible. I also want to replay Metal Gear Solid 4, because despite playing through it around 10 times, it's still my favorite game of all time and the only reason I got a PS3 in the first place (I had the MGS4 bundle system).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Mug posted:

If you run out of slots, sony will just reset them all in a single phonecall for you.

Really? Because I'm in this weird set up where I have only like 2 slots left and 1 belongs to another person and the other is on my dying PS3. I've heard like "Oh you MIGHT get them reset if you're lucky I guess" from people but they really will reset your Account Activations on your PS3 if you just call?

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Policenaut posted:

Really? Because I'm in this weird set up where I have only like 2 slots left and 1 belongs to another person and the other is on my dying PS3. I've heard like "Oh you MIGHT get them reset if you're lucky I guess" from people but they really will reset your Account Activations on your PS3 if you just call?

I've heard of other people calling and getting their slots reset with no issues. I had purchased a slim after my 60 gig imploded on me twice (and I was sick of repairing it). I tried to download that God of War 3 documentary that came with the limited edition and it told me my PS3 wasn't authorized to play the video. I just called them up and they took care of it. They told me to wait up to 2 days for it to go through.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
What is this blue thing in the Playstation 15th anniversary logo?

edit after answer : I kept thinking it was an unused console design.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 13, 2010

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
Blu-ray Remote I think.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Yechezkel posted:

I think it's the DVD remote.

e: f, b

Pandanaut fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 13, 2010

Doc Cylon
May 5, 2010

This is John Crichton paging Doctor Cylon, pick up the phone imperious leader.

Alucardd posted:

Blu-ray Remote I think.

Aye I've seen the PS3 pictured with it plenty. Makes sense with Blu-Ray selling point.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Sorry to cross post an SA-Mart thing, but if anyone's in the market for another (or new) Dualshock 3, I'm selling a brand new one.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3347588&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post381991158

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Yechezkel posted:

edit after answer : I kept thinking it was an unused console design.

That's ugly as sin.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

nmfree posted:

Firefox FIREFOX FIREFOX FIREFOX
Seriously, this. Aside from the SNES emulator so my wife could play Secret of Mana and Super Mario World, being able to pull up a web browser that wasn't a bag of poo poo was what I used linux for.

Mug posted:

That's true, but leaving out an important detail. They will reset one slot for every PS3 you send in to them for service. If you run out, you can have them reset all 5 slots, but that's it. Even if you have a PS3 that shits the bed and you send it in to them, they WILL NOT do any more deactivations. Ever. Period. I was on the phone with them about this for well over an hour. This is the policy as it stands right now.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

never mind

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to de-sync a controller short of plugging it into a different PS3? I got my six-axis working with my PC, but whenever I unplug it from my computer, it starts flashing and activates my PS3 downstairs, which is really annoying. I figure my only options are to get it associated with something else so that it won't find it and shut down, and/or shield my office in lead so that the signal can't reach it. Any ideas?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

If you have a fat PS3 turn off the switch in the back. If you have a slim which I assume doesnt have those can unplug it I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Isn't there a reset button on the back of the controllers? Have you tried that?

• Locked thread