Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

SpacePig posted:

Isn't there a reset button on the back of the controllers? Have you tried that?

Yeah, it's a little hole on the top right in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, it's a little hole on the top right in the middle.

Tried the reset button, no luck. Guessing I'll have to find a friend with a PS3 and sync to his to get around this.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Palleon posted:

Tried the reset button, no luck. Guessing I'll have to find a friend with a PS3 and sync to his to get around this.

Or just turn off/unplug the PS3.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

Or just turn off/unplug the PS3.

I'd rather not have to turn off the PS3 every time I use my controller, it's used pretty regularly, if I'm going to take a trip downstairs to turn off the power each time I use it, I might as well let it stay synced and use the trip downstairs to turn it back off when I'm done.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

3.50 out on September 21. Also known as the 3D Blu-Ray movie update.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I got a free copy of Pain from subway, so I go to download it. Background the download and set the PS3 to turn off when its finished. I watch TV while it downloads/installs and I know it's done when it turns off.

I go to start the game, update required. Wait, 7 updates required. Gigs and Gigs, 2 hours to download. What the gently caress. Would it kill them to roll up the updates in to the store download? I mean I understand when it's a disc sitting on a shelf, but a download shouldn't need an update, let alone 7!

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Guy Axlerod posted:

I got a free copy of Pain from subway, so I go to download it. Background the download and set the PS3 to turn off when its finished. I watch TV while it downloads/installs and I know it's done when it turns off.

I go to start the game, update required. Wait, 7 updates required. Gigs and Gigs, 2 hours to download. What the gently caress. Would it kill them to roll up the updates in to the store download? I mean I understand when it's a disc sitting on a shelf, but a download shouldn't need an update, let alone 7!

Yep. I didn't even make it through the whole thing. I canceled with two to go, went into the game in offline mode, found out it sucked and begrudgingly deleted it. Ugh.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Pain is crap. It's the only PSN game I have gotten off of my sharegroup and actually gone out of my way to delete because it was so bad.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I would actually pay to get Pain off my Trophy list. It defiles it like disgusting water at the bottom of a trash bin.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I certainly got $10 worth out of Pain at the time it was released, but keep in mind there weren't many games to choose from when it was released. Also it's one of those games that every time they release DLC, you basically have to download the dlc even if you didn't buy it, for who knows what reason. It was an okay time waster to pass a controller around with friends while chatting, but now it's pretty useless which I imagine is why you got it free, and also the trophy list is a joke.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I got pain for free from my MGS PS3 bundle and I refuse to even pop the blu-ray it is on in my system. :smug:

I got to try the MOVE at work, I sort of liked it. Felt very wii-ish but I will buy it for HD lightgun games indefinately.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey, I have a quick question about the Data Transfer Utility. I'm about to go out and buy the PS3 Move bundle and I kind of wanted to get an answer before starting this thing up.

I read the whole thing up to this part and got a little confused

quote:

Notice
The following restrictions apply if you perform the data transfer operation without creating a PlayStationŽNetwork account:
You may not be able to use the saved data on the destination PS3™ system.
You may no longer be able to earn trophies using the saved data that you transferred.
Trophy information is not transferred.

What does this mean exactly? Do I create a PlayStation Network account on the new PS3 or am I already fine with what I have on my old PS3. Because it sounds all fine (update both to new firmware, deactivate account, sync trophies) until I get to that part. It kind of just sounds like if I didn't have a PSN account on the original PS3 to begin with I'd have a problem but just checking.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Policenaut posted:

Hey, I have a quick question about the Data Transfer Utility. I'm about to go out and buy the PS3 Move bundle and I kind of wanted to get an answer before starting this thing up.

What does this mean exactly? Do I create a PlayStation Network account on the new PS3 or am I already fine with what I have on my old PS3. Because it sounds all fine (update both to new firmware, deactivate account, sync trophies) until I get to that part. It kind of just sounds like if I didn't have a PSN account on the original PS3 to begin with I'd have a problem but just checking.

The trophies thing just requires you to sync from the old one before you transfer, and sync with the other afterwards.

I don't think it'll allow you to use any saves that are locked, but I have no experience with that one, so I don't know for sure.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Miscellaneous blu-ray question that hopefully you guys can answer: Season 4, Disc 1 of How I Met your Mother won't read in my PS3 anymore. Discs 2 and 3, along with any game I have work fine, but for this disk, it will recognize it, it will boot up, give me the intro FBI warning, then crash back to the dashboard. The disk looks immaculate, I've wiped it down anyway, don't see any evidence of scratches or smudges, yet I just can't get it to get into the main menu. Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can look for or try to do to get it readable again?

Edit: Also, it used to work fine, even as late as last week, so it wasn't defective to begin with.

Palleon fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 17, 2010

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Can't you just log in as your current profile on the new PS3? Or am I missing something? I'll like to know this as well since I'm in your same boat.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

MrMidnight posted:

Can't you just log in as your current profile on the new PS3? Or am I missing something? I'll like to know this as well since I'm in your same boat.

You can but you should disable your account on the old one first, the op tells you how, so you dont waste one of your 5 slots.

The trophy data thing is just because for some reason trophies do not automatically sync, so theyre warning you these "unsynced" trophied will not transfer.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

RagnarokAngel posted:

The trophy data thing is just because for some reason trophies do not automatically sync, so theyre warning you these "unsynced" trophied will not transfer.

Yeah, it was werid. I forgot to re-sync, and started re-earning trophies.

I wouldn't mind the manual re-sync if it didn't take so drat long.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Policenaut posted:

That seems to be for people who created a PS3 user account but never went online and made it into a PSN account. Shouldn't be a worry for anyone else.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I have a bigtime favor to ask of someone with a non-80GB backwards-compatible PS3 and a copy of Tales of the Abyss for the PS2. I ran into an unfortunate bug in that game whereupon when you enter Choral Castle, you can no longer move, and cannot continue the game. Apparently it only occurs on 80GB BC PS3s, which is of course what I have.

Could a kind, generous soul take my save file, enter Choral Castle, go through the surprise attack tutorial, and save at the save point in the first room? I would forever be in your debt, and I promise I'll find a way to make it up to you.

Here's the save file; I'm right outside of said Choral Castle. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70742/Files/BASLUS-213865F544F415F303030.PSV

Thank you so much in advance.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Coughing Hobo posted:

I have a bigtime favor to ask of someone with a non-80GB backwards-compatible PS3 and a copy of Tales of the Abyss for the PS2. I ran into an unfortunate bug in that game whereupon when you enter Choral Castle, you can no longer move, and cannot continue the game. Apparently it only occurs on 80GB BC PS3s, which is of course what I have.

This happens with alot of games for that model, apparently. I couldn't get past one of the earliest missions in Yakuza (Fuma/Kazuma got shot in the Dojima headquarters, and you had to jump out the window) because it would go to load a new area, and would just freeze on the loading screen, still playing the music. I can't do anything to help you, but I know your pain.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Could a kind, generous soul take my save file, enter Choral Castle, go through the surprise attack tutorial, and save at the save point in the first room? I would forever be in your debt, and I promise I'll find a way to make it up to you.

Here's the save file; I'm right outside of said Choral Castle. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70742/Files/BASLUS-213865F544F415F303030.PSV

Thank you so much in advance.

Well, I'm bored enough right now to do this for you. Give me 10 mins.

Edit - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50856/BASLUS-213865F544F415F303030.PSV

evilalien fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 17, 2010

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

evilalien posted:

I love these forums. :bravo:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

evilalien posted:

You are amazing. Thank you so much.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Coughing Hobo posted:

You are amazing. Thank you so much.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50856/BASLUS-213865F544F415F303030.PSV

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
Is there any way to arrange your PSN games alphabetically? I'm only seeing options for sorting them by download date, or by how recently they were played.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

The Walrus posted:

I love these forums. :bravo:

Seriously. I was thinking who the gently caress would have that game / want to do it...and there ya go

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
On the list of friends on my PS3, the small space under the username, where it says what game the friend is playing, stays blank.

Does anyone else here have this problem?

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Yechezkel posted:

On the list of friends on my PS3, the small space under the username, where it says what game the friend is playing, stays blank.

Does anyone else here have this problem?

They could be watching a movie or not doing anything.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Why don't you save yourself $300 and buy just the move?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Simstim posted:

They could be watching a movie or not doing anything.

One friend has a PSN trophies update on Facebook posted during the time the PS3 said he was playing nothing. :confused:
Also when I tried in invite him to a co-op game, the game said the friend was playing another game, but didn't say what game it was.

The guy has a crap router that knocks him offline occasionally, so I'm checking if it's PSN or the router that is causing this odd omission.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Once again, thank you very much.

... unfortunately, it seems like the entirety of Choral Castle is the issue. I'm going to order a memory card adapter, so I can transfer my save file to and from my PC. I'll take care of Choral Castle on emulator, then toss it back onto my PS3 and finish it up from there.

Thanks again, I really, really appreciate it.

Karl Ontario
Jan 1, 2006

Maybe if I'm part of that mob, I can help steer it in wise directions.
So I recently got the Lost collection on Blu-Ray and I watched the extras disc first without a problem but when I tried using any of the other discs my PS3 would recognize them and then give me a message saying unable to place the disc. Is this a common problem and is there any way to fix it? My games and DVDs still work properly.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
Fixed my PS3 with the heat gun method today, so so happy I don't lose any of my saves now! :D

Quick question about transfering data: It says that LBP game data doesn't transfer, but isn't this where most of the save is kept now, or is it just character info? Should I try and back these up to a stick just in case?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

SNES emulator

http://www.ps3news.com/PS3-Hacks/snes9x-super-nintendo-emulator-ps3-port-arrives/

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

http://github.com/eiz/ps3_snes9x/blob/master/README
http://github.com/eiz/ps3_snes9x/blob/master/Makefile

Yep, totally want to get into that. :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Homebrew of any kind is still very early and not really worth posting about. I think we should come back to the subject in like 6 months, see where it is and start a thread if it still isn't a huge pain. The steps you have to go through to do it are a bit much right now and I don't even know any goons yet who have jailbroken their PS3.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Homebrew of any kind is still very early and not really worth posting about. I think we should come back to the subject in like 6 months, see where it is and start a thread if it still isn't a huge pain. The steps you have to go through to do it are a bit much right now and I don't even know any goons yet who have jailbroken their PS3.
I have, but I'm not touching the stolen SDK. Too many people are relying on that and it's really annoying that they are (like that snes9x port).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

gibbed posted:

I have, but I'm not touching the stolen SDK. Too many people are relying on that and it's really annoying that they are (like that snes9x port).

How was the process for you? What method did you go through?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

I said come in! posted:

How was the process for you? What method did you go through?
I've got a Teensy 2.0, built psgroove with the settings for that, flashed my Teensy with the code. All I have to do is plug it in to my PS3 and do the boot trick and it's working. It's dead simple really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm more interested in them making fake firmware to spoof PSN at the moment. I miss being able to play games with you guys.

• Locked thread