Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

teekun posted:

Yeah, it's an OS-level feature that doesn't require any specific hardware to work. Why bother taking it out, especially when you're supporting the transferral of data between a BC system and one that isn't?

Well the current conspiracy theory is to sell HD remixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Hugh Grant Superfan posted:

I just got a PS3 Slim 160 GB and set everything up. I turned it on and plugged in the controller and pressed the PS button as instructed. Then it took me to language selection where it hovered over English for a second and then began quickly alternating between the first two options (Dansk and Deutsch). I restarted and quickly pressed X while it was hovering over English and this took me to the HDMI selection screen. I selected yes the first time but subsequent times I noticed I could only select yes. The issue seems to be that the triangle, square, circle and X buttons work and nothing else. I've tried both the included AV cable and HDMI and neither works. Did I get a defective controller? If so, what should I do about it?

Depends on your store's policy. If your store permits you can probably just return the whole console and get a new one. If not, call sony and they'll replace it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

ColdCock posted:

I keep seeing boxes for Slims that seem to imply that a NetFlix client is installed on them. Is that the case? Either way, has there been any word on when it's going to be converted to an installable application?

No, they're just advertising it because it's a bullet point they need to get their disc like everyone else.

No precise word on when we get an application but its supposed to be this fall so soon I guess.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Bob Cthulhu posted:

In theory, you can do things with the jailbreak besides pirate games. And if you're in it for the piracy, you'll get your updates and DLC...and probably online play too.

I dont see much for homebrew on the PS3. The wii and DS have a healthy legitimate homebrew market because of their unique control schemes. Until people can develop for the move there's nothing the PS3 can do a PC cant do all the same.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Sco Dylan posted:

Thing is, I just played SNES on my laptop an hour ago and it took a total of 5 minutes to get it going from scratch.

I wouldn't trade online functionality, especially add-ons and updates for something I set up in 5 minutes on my laptop.

Yeah I really dont get it. My toaster can practically run a SNES emulator at this point, why mess with another device to do it?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Sankis posted:

So, I haven't used my PS3 very much at all in the past year so I was considering selling it. Does anyone have any idea of what they sell for nowadays? It's an old, fat 40 gig from just before MGS4 came out (2008?). Gamestop.com is selling the same model, used, for $249 but that seems hard to believe considering you can get a much newer model with more HD space for $50 more.
The older models are often valued because of PS2 BC. So you might be able to make a decent price if you sell online

quote:

Edit: If I did sell it and buy another in a future where I am employed and not in need of money, I'd be able to just redownload all my PSN purchases, right? No fancy Xbox license transfer stuff?
Yes but disable your account before you sell it, otherwise your slot is lost forever. It says how to in the op.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 12, 2010

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

Along these lines, I'm going to be selling my backwards compatible, 60gb launch PS3 in a couple of weeks or so. Everything works perfectly and I haven't had any problems the entire time I've had it.

I'm letting any interested buyers have a crack at it here first before I put an ad up on craigslist or ebay.

PM me if you will be interested.

I think you need to put it up on SA Mart, soliciting outside of there is a no go.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Sankis posted:

Thanks. I thiiink I did this right, but if I didn't then I don't really care. I don't have any game shares so there should be no issue with the 4 remaining 'slots' if I remember how it works.

If I format my PS3's HDD I should be fine for everything else, right? All account details, etc will be wiped? I'm mostly just worried about my PSN account being attached to the PS3 somehow.

Yep just format the hard drive and all will be well.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

If you have a fat PS3 turn off the switch in the back. If you have a slim which I assume doesnt have those can unplug it I guess?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Palleon posted:

Tried the reset button, no luck. Guessing I'll have to find a friend with a PS3 and sync to his to get around this.

Or just turn off/unplug the PS3.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

Can't you just log in as your current profile on the new PS3? Or am I missing something? I'll like to know this as well since I'm in your same boat.

You can but you should disable your account on the old one first, the op tells you how, so you dont waste one of your 5 slots.

The trophy data thing is just because for some reason trophies do not automatically sync, so theyre warning you these "unsynced" trophied will not transfer.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

EC posted:

Edit: while I'm here, how do I know if a game supports listening to my own music while playing? I want to put on some Blockhead and chill to PJ Shooter, but I can't figure it out.

In general assume it doesnt. To check just try and play a song on the XMB while in-game. If it works it'll play. If it doesn't it'll warn you you have to exit the game first.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

If I can be brutally honest there really aren't 3rd party controllers that will stand up. In the long run paying the full price is just the better deal.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Hey guys, I'm totally going to drag my desktop PC (and all its wires and paraphernalia, as my laptop isn't ridiculous enough for some emulators) to my friend's house where my group of friends all conglomerate, hook it up to a TV and somehow to the sound system, and then go through a shitload of hassle to get multiple controllers all working and calibrated (separately for each emulator, in some cases. See Project64 and ePSXe) so that, a full 45 min- 1 hour later, after everyone's lost interest, we can settle down to have a jaunty romp through the old X-Men arcade game or play GoldenEye or NBA Jam or Twisted Metal Black, and reminisce about our childhood.

Yes, that is way easier than taking a single PS3 unit over, borrowing my friend's PS3's HDMI cable and power plug, resynching his controllers along with mine, and sitting down and playing the same poo poo within like 5 minutes.

Yeah, I totally don't see the utility of that. At all. Completely ridiculous!

You're already convinced what you want why did you even bother to ask?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah how long since you accessed the PSN? That splash has been there for a good year now I think.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Mantle posted:

What about the xbox1? People had to forfeit online for homebrew and homebrew still took off.

Online only meant playing games online. Online gaming on consoles wasn't really the big thing it is now and you could afford to not bother. Now not only is online gaming huge, consoles get patched with new features fairly often.

Chief problem I think is it's much too late for the PS3 to get involved. 360 and Wii both have established homebrew methods and the PS3 will need to go through a lot to catch up, I dont think it'll be worth the hassle.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

2reachmu posted:

Well if you are wanting to do something NOW I would just dig through your local craigslist for someone selling a jtaged 360 which will do pretty much what you are looking for.

This is probably better than waiting for something that may or may not happen yeah.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

250 GB is massive overkill. I have 60 and never have to lament over what to delete, so unless you can get a good deal stick with 120.

For bundles theres so many out there it's sort of luck based on what your store just happens to have.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I habitually delete stuff I don't need anymore so game installs haven't been an issue. I guess your mileage will vary though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

You can have an account "Registered" to up to 5 PS3s at once as long as only one is logged into it at a time.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Also hell, the idea of providing this kind of service isn't necessarily BAD, but it's the execution that's the problem. They should educate consumers on how to handle the products themselves and show them the installation and setup processes instead of taking it out of their hands. Give a man a fish/Teach a man to fish and all that.

Teaching a man to fish isn't nearly as profitable as opening a fish market in terms of time and money invested.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I think that only goes so far for local businesses. Big chains do not have that issue. Name recognition alone pushes them. It's why Wal Mart continues to succeed despite the fact that they exploit third world labor and deny unionization to their employees is well known.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Civil posted:

Disc-free Netflix next week

Christ finally? I'm so glad now.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

sentrygun posted:

The Netflix app is leaps and bounds better than the disc. It still could use some tweaking but I guess I can only ask for so much!

Wait is out? I thought it was out tomorrow?

Edit: Just popped up. Wow.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, I ran into one small problem: my TV's remote control can't run all the functions of this new interface, I need to actually use a controller to do a few things. That's annoying, I had gotten totally used to using my remote and not needing to worry about the controller's batteries running down and stuff.

edit: also I guess everyone and their dog is running it all at once and the interface has slowed to a crawl.

Just shut the controller off while youre watching stuff. Takes a second to turn back on and I always felt like the R2/L2 triggers got pressed too easily.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

He says he gets bored of random slaughter so JC2 may not be his thing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Oddly RDR was the first Rockstar game I 100%ed. Maybe because its slightly more leniant on the side quests (outside of the outfits you dont need to do them) but I definitely got my money's worth.

redreader posted:

Ok I'll go with this. It's not a 'bad game' but for me, it's no fun. I can't explain why. Maybe it's the ultra ridiculous auto aim, or the fact that it's a shooter on a console.

You can turn the Auto Aim to various levels, including completely off.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Edit: Nevermind, cant read.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

lollybo posted:

All this talk about consoles dying is making me nervous. I thought PS3 was supposed be have like less than a 1 percent failure rate?

Oh god no. It's between 7 and 10 depending on who you ask.

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_Xbox360_PS3_Wii_Reliability_0809.pdf

It just got overshadowed because the 360's failure rate is just absurd.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Sco Dylan posted:

Speaking of deactivating PS3s, my friend had his PS3 die like 8 months ago and got a new one, and I of course had my PSN on it and I've reached my 5 console limit.

Is there any way for them to know how to deactivate just that one? My friend is not that tech savvy and I'm sure he didn't do anything in regards to that kinda stuff (he just got a new PSN id and all that, didn't transfer or anything).

I assume they COULD but it sounds like a massive pain that they may not bother with.

quote:

Also, if I deactivate my PSN on a PS3, does that disable any games I've downloaded on that system? Or just videos?

When you deactive it you pick games or videos.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

teekun posted:

poo poo poo poo poo poo. I forgot to deactivate one of my accounts before my system transfer, and have just now realized that a small bit of my Rock Band DLC is tied to it. Can I put a HDD back in my old one, reformat it, update, and deactivate? Or would I have better luck contacting customer support?

You can but for all that effort seems better to just have support deactive them all.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I'm pretty sure the launch 60 GB is still the best SKU because it has no downsides at all aside from hard drive size, which is of course, fixable.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

LorneReams posted:

I always wondered how hard it would be to release an add on that plays PS2 games...add trophy support and then rake in the billions of dollars.

Not easy. Even the "software" BC PS3s had some PS2 hardware. Pure software emulation is a bitch and they basically have to tailor each game differently.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The PS3 doesn't have a particularly high failure rate for electronics. If you're asking if it'll NEVER fail then no, that's impossible.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It's not supposed to be out till tuesday, that might be a "preview" catalog.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

My bad I confused it with the VUDU service coming to the US PSN didnt realize you were in NZ.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Kiwillian posted:

No Problemo.

What is that though? Same poo poo, different box I guess?

Eh sort of. Comes out tuesday so we need more details but it's a service for streaming new movies (preview image had stuff like scott pilgrim) in HD. you pay between $4-6 per movie and we'll get a free $6 credit when it hits.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Ein Bear posted:

I wish they just ran the Kevin Butler adverts over here. The UK ones are embarrassing to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJmoSwhzqiA

Thats the most generic inoffensive advertising I've seen in a long time.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I just plug it into my computer when not using my PS3. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

nene. posted:

I do this as well, but I have a problem with it. Is there any kind of setting I can change so that the controller won't start blinking and turn on the PS3 the second I unplug it from the computer?

As long as I dont press the PS button I dont have this problem, do you? If so what's your Operating system?

• Locked thread