Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
That video of Kevin Butler as the viking eating the drumstick to promote the Move almost makes we want to buy one. He really has a way of making me want to buy things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

MUFFlNS posted:

Thing about controllers like this though, is are the face buttons analogue or digital? Many third party controllers just go digital because it's cheaper which really screws you over if you want to play something like MGS4 or GT5 with the controller. The Amazon page doesn't say anything about it either so I'd be cautious.
You know, the only game I ever actually noticed taking use of the analog abilities of the face buttons was Bouncer for PS2, which would do either a light or heavy kick based on how hard you pressed the button. I could NEVER consciously do the type of attack I wanted. I would always either push it too hard or too lightly, it was bullshit and I resented the controller just for having that ability. And frankly I felt the same way about the sixaxis at first when you were forced to use tilt for poo poo like balancing in Uncharted or controls in Lair which I never bought because of the controls. They were just adding a function to the controller that made my user experience less fun.

Now I haven't played the MGS series and I just use the analog triggers to drive in GT5, so I can't sympathize with those two. I'm just saying I would love if the whole industry just kept analog for the trigger buttons and let the face buttons be digital.

Edit: Just so everyone doesn't think I'm some bitter old man pining for his NES Advantage, I do enjoy the sixaxis ability on all the many games it's been utilized properly in. I just hated the way it got shoehorned into everything when the ps3 was new. That's why I like the Move over the Wii. They either have to design games specifically for the Move or they have to shoehorn Move functionality into regular games without screwing up the games for people who use the dualshock. As a related question, how many of you are planning to play Killzone 3 with the Move instead of DS3?

davebo fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 3, 2010

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

ghostwritingduck posted:

I don't want to see assholes cheating in multiplayer.

heh, good avatar/post combo.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I certainly got $10 worth out of Pain at the time it was released, but keep in mind there weren't many games to choose from when it was released. Also it's one of those games that every time they release DLC, you basically have to download the dlc even if you didn't buy it, for who knows what reason. It was an okay time waster to pass a controller around with friends while chatting, but now it's pretty useless which I imagine is why you got it free, and also the trophy list is a joke.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Mantle posted:

r2x posted:
There probably won't be a huge homebrew base on the ps3 like the xbox1 or dc had.

Why not?

Because with the Dreamcast all you had to do to play homebrew was absolutely nothing. For the PS3 you have to forfeit a good chunk of the console's functionality. That means less people are going to want to do it, which means less interest from people for it and less incentive for people to make it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
almost all of my friends list are on netflix right now, and i was streaming netflix on my pc when i just read this thread. switching over now!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

sheepdemon posted:

Ahh ok thanks. Would have been a bit lovely playing without getting any trophies anyway.

Yeah remember the days when you could just take a memory card to friends' houses and play games and continue progress and have fun? Those days are over now because we need to poopsock our e-peens or something.

Progress!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Whalley posted:

The Saboteur is the best drat GTA-alike I've ever played. RDR is really, really tiring :/

RDR has one of the best stories I've experienced in a video game and the sheer amount of poo poo they give you to do both in single player and multiplayer is impressive. As for GTA4 if you didn't like GTA3 I probably wouldn't recommend 4 either. As others said the driving is way different but they didn't make it realistic at all, they just made it ridiculous in the opposite direction. The cars may seem heavier, but a heavy car wouldn't accidentally spin 180 degrees while turning at 10mph or jump 15 feet in the air when you hit a curb. I'm a crazy GTA fan so I loved it anyway, but to bring this back from a games discussion to a PS3 hardware discussion, the PC port of GTA4 (once they patched it a bunch) played on a decent rig is so much prettier than the PS3 port that it's almost gross to go back and play it, if that factors into your decision at all.

One great thing that Fuzz just mentioned about Uncharted 2 that is really beneficial is the use of surround sound in GTA4 and RDR. Especially with RDR surround sound doesn't just make the experience better, but it actually helps you play. There are all sorts of people and animals making noise in the distance and knowing the difference between it being somewhere off to the right and somewhere behind you to the right means the difference between turning around and shooting a cougar in the face or turning slightly to the right then getting raped in the rear end by a cougar from behind.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
These recent responses have made me feel like there's a serious lack of attention span or appreciation for any sort of storyline or characters in video games nowadays. Can this somehow be blamed on the Wii?

Edit: vv So the problem with a game like RDR is that if it's not written in such a way that grabs people and makes them instantly care about the characters in the first hour or so of gameplay then it isn't worth playing. See this is why that fantastic movie Armageddon started right off the bat with the asteroids hitting New York. Everything else takes too long to get real :P

davebo fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 22, 2010

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Palleon posted:

Saboteur is awesome, RDR is awesome, Saints Row 2 is awesome. Buy them all and forget about GTAIV.
I think this sufficiently answers his question on whether or not to spend $20 on a PS3 game :) Mr. Funny Pants you have your orders.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Kin posted:

Can you link me to this media that showed a distinct lack of overall content in the vast open world of the game?
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-trailer-red-dead/48934
That's the debut trailer, which starts out saying they fought Indians for 10 years, then bandits, which clearly implies Indians aren't their main problem anymore. Starts out showing a bunch of shots from the game world which look pretty barren to me, then shows more action towards the end. Seems like a pretty accurate representation of the game world. All the content-less area was full of all kinds of wildlife and randomly spawning instances including hunting challenges and that dudes' wife being hung by some gang that I could never quite shoot the rope and save her in time. Also there's no rule that you have to ride through the desert, you can just warp wherever you want if you don't appreciate the journey.

Edit: vv it's a clear indication that the game has a bunch of different terrain that aren't cities in it. I'm not sure what you'd expect to be in a desert or plains other than animals, some randomly spawning events, and events triggered by missions. Which is exactly what there were in the places that didn't have buildings in them.

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 22, 2010

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

I said come in! posted:

Now that everyone has a HDTV, the PAL/NTSC thing really doesn't mean anything anymore. There's no difference in frame rate.
Well I don't know about video games but the PAL hd standard still uses 25fps.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Mug posted:

I got 1 set of rechargable glasses for $150AUD

The glasses use batteries? What?

Edit: these don't look very friendly to people who already wear glasses. Any thoughts on this?

davebo fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 24, 2010

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

LorneReams posted:

Well, I was thinking of a hardware add-on actually.

Seriously those PS2 slims were so small. My launch PS2 still works fine (knock on wood) but it'd be pretty cool if they just released a usb dongle the size of the Rock Band instrument dongles that had all the ps2's hardware inside it, and just used the ps3 disc drive they'd probably make some good money. That idea about adding trophy support is pretty good. The real problem is why do they want people to be playing old ps2 games for free when they should be spending money on new PS3 games?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Boo This Man posted:

Have the PS2 games that are for sale on the PSN that offer trophy support.
Well yeah but you had to pay money for that. It's always a great idea to take existing content and just rerelease it. I can think of a few PS2 titles I'd pay for again if I didn't have a working ps2.

gotly posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that USB 2.0 isn't quite up to the challenge of replacing an actual motherboard bus.
Not with that attitude it's not!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

I don't even have a hacked PSP either. It's crazy. At least i'm getting my stuff back. I learned a valuable lesson.

That it's okay for Sony to throw ridiculous DRM at consumers to protect their properties and money but don't feel the need to be as protective of their customers' money?

Or did you just mean the thing about password questions.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Not to save credit card stuff on anything because i'm too lazy to find my wallet.

Sony gave me a refund and restored my account. They were very pleasant.

Well, I'm going to keep my CC info saved on my PS3. Maybe I'm getting cocky and will get my comeuppance one day, but I've been buying stuff online with CC's since the mid 90's and never had a problem once. I just pick passwords no one could guess and use security questions no one could know, normally because I make up imaginary answers. Pro tip: my first pet's name wasn't actually P00pdog

One thing that confused me about your situation though, you had said some security question's answer had to do with your birthday, which is conceivable that someone could know, but then you said they actually got your account from the PSP store. Did you mean that that's where they used your security question to get access, or did you mean it wasn't the security question after all and they just hacked the PSP store somehow?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Throwdown posted:

So I impulse subscribed to hulu plus, should I regret this decision? I'm kind of pissed that some shows dont come on my ps3 and I still get commercials.
What do you mean some shows don't come on the PS3? Does Hulu.com have shows that they aren't putting on Hulu Plus?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Nux posted:

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-12/air-forces-new-supercomputer-made-1760-playstation-3s

Holy crap, that's a lot of playstations.

Is the ps3s processor actually really good or what?

Look at those jerks hogging all the BC units! Seriously if the US Air Forced asked nicely wouldn't Sony just give them a firmware for the slim models that let them install linux?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

I.T Zander posted:

How do I know if the other person can hear me?

I can always tell because I hear myself coming back through their microphone into my speakers. Seriously I think everyone either has their speakers way too loud or their mic sensitivity way too high.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

slidebite posted:

I doubt it.

:siren: Anecdotal Alert :siren:

The PS3 has made pretty large inroads in the mass market and 30+ age group, way over and above the 360 (and Wii) largely due to the inclusion of a blu-ray and kick-rear end gaming was a pleasant bonus. I personally know about 20 people with a PS3 and not a single one is younger than 35. And not a single one could probably care a less to mod it, no matter how easy it is.

Yeah does anyone remember that statistic from like 2 years ago about just what percentage of ps3 owners had even bothered to connect it to the internet? A lot of people at the time got one just because it was the best blu-ray player for the money. So obviously when it comes to actually bootlegging games I'd care more about the percentage of actual gamers doing it, but as for homebrew who really cares if someone wants to play Excitebike on their next-gen console?

davebo fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 3, 2011

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

McLarenF1 posted:

And that can be counteracted by the single download can be much more than one hacked console arguement. Also this doesn't account for any other file servers online.

e: I bet Sony could seriously curb hacked consoles by simply releasing emulators for the older gaming consoles.
How would they legally offer say a NES emulator in the psn store when Nintendo wouldn't allow them to actually sell games for it?

Edit: VV no I get that people could just load the roms themselves, I'm saying doesn't that get legally sticky for them if they discourage homebrew by releasing their own NES emulator, then tell everyone well we can't actually sell you the games but you can go steal them online if you're savy. Wouldn't Nintendo just throw a fit about that? It seems like by making it an official Sony emulator available in the PSN store, a lot more people would see it and go looking for roms than would have otherwise known about homebrew's existence. And at that point you could just use downloading roms from the web as a launching point to find whatever other homebrew is out there and it's a short leap from there to just pirating ps3 games. I just think openly supporting it isn't really beneficial to Sony. They're better off just trying to minimize popularity of it and if they are able to make it a hassle then try to do that.

davebo fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 3, 2011

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I don't understand when companies remove capabilities. For the past two console generations we were all able to save our games on a memory card and none of this poo poo would have mattered for a second. Flash memory is cheap as dirt and everyone can buy all the usb sticks they like. Sony should have just put some funky USB port on the ps3 that maybe looks perfect when used with an official Sony USB thumb stick and if people have their own them maybe it sticks out more and looks goofy but still works fine. They'd have made more money and a lot of people would be happier.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Fuzz posted:

All the trophy hate is pointless. Ignore them if they bother you, for the rest of us they sometimes provide fun alternative objectives to reach, just to see if you can. I really prefer the sorts of games that have trophies that aren't just "get a 100x combo" and "Beat the game" and are more "do these random feats in this order" or "find the random doohicky!" They're just fun little diversions, then.

I think the point is that if trophies are the reason that we can't do what we want with our own savegames, then we don't want them. Frankly I'd be on that side too if more games had locked saves, but as it is there are just few enough that I don't really mind too much. But here's what I don't get about the whole "other people can copy savegames and steal trophies oh noes!" I just tried to copy my GT5 savegame to the ps3 at work so we'd have some cars, and it knew that unit didn't match that savegame and wouldn't let me use it. So... what exactly is the excuse?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Insane Totoro posted:

Pre morning coffee. Misread.

Really, because I thought it was funnier reading it as this guy who wants some kind of mouse for his PS3, but you recommend he not bother getting a mouse and playing games, and instead just get a hard drive and spend all his time just backing up saves as it would be the only way to prevent ending up in your situation.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Digital Scumbag posted:

OPM has a boner about this game called "Catherine".
From the team that made Demon's Souls and Persona, Katsura Hashino has made an interesting psychological horror game not unlike the animes in the vein of "Perfect Blue".
Sorry for the derail since this probably belongs in the games thread, but is Catherine getting a North American release? I saw the cover art for the xbox and ps3 versions a while back but thought they were just the Japanese releases. The game looks pretty insane but the videos I saw didn't give much indication of what the actual gameplay was like. In my head it's like Heavy Rain but with more nudity and cat drugs.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Palleon posted:

2) People don't post when everything goes well, so you only see the bad news.
Every time that gets mentioned I make it a point to post and say both my launch 60gb a friend now has and my slim are working just dandy!

Posting that will surely jinx me.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

ElPottoGrande posted:

The thing is I don't have room for another system, so the PS2 will have to go. But I've heard rather damning things about the backwards compatibility, and I don't want to shell out all that money for just those games.

tl;dr - What exactly are the PS1/PS2/PS3 limitations?
As has been said you can't get a new PS3 that plays PS2 games. You already have a PS2 that presumably works fine, so your only problem is you don't have room for both? Maybe get a slim PS2? Or just bring it out and hook it up when you want to play old games?

Do you have an HDTV? Are you interested in high definition movies and video games? If not you might be better off just waiting a few years to get around to the two new games you mentioned. I mean it's nice they rereleased ICO and Colossus, but judging from screenshots it's not like they redid the games from the ground up in terms of visuals. Uncharted 2 it is not.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

teethgrinder posted:

Yeah, that's a loving killer feature. I'm so excited. I'm so paranoid about all my in-progress saves... I have total gaming ADD.

I've put insane amounts of time into GT5 lately. I couldn't imagine starting that all over again.

Just for my own edification, did you mean you have gaming OCD in the sense that you're obsessed about constant saving and backing up, or gaming ADD in the sense that one game can't keep your attention so you have a lot of games you're working through concurrently?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's a Westinghouse TX-42F450S, if that matters.

I don't have one but do I recall someone like 3 years ago saying some Westinghouse had handshake issues over hdmi or something to that effect? Have you googled it and found any common problems?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

TheJoker138 posted:

This is not true at all.

Maybe he meant in terms of sheer uptime and not so much everything working properly? Or maybe he meant more reliable per dollar spent?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Edit: ^^ I hope the peons at Sony aren't literally having to work 20 hour shifts or anything to fix this asap. I know this is costing everyone a ton of money but it is just video games and I hate working all night on some bullshit project so I wouldn't want some guy in Japan giving himself a heart attack just so we can have our GT5 races by Thursday.

ZombieSnot posted:

I kind of wonder the validity of this being Anonymous myself. They have for the most part always taken credit for their actions, and they publicly stated that they wanted to attack Sony and Playstation. So why deny it shortly after it occurs, especially when your going to leave a "text file" afterwards?
Plus didn't whatever you consider the command structure of Anonymous specifically release orders to stop attacking Sony like a week or so before this happened? Seems like they were taking enough flak from users and realized they weren't teaching Sony a lesson, just pissing off users so they backed off. Sounds a lot more likely that one dude wanted to keep crusading against the man. I'd wager it's either one dude who either is or isn't affiliated with Anonymous in any way (doesn't matter) and I hope they catch him and no one else has to take any heat for it.

I wish the rest would just go back to making GBS threads on scientologists though.

davebo fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 4, 2011

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Going back to the voice chat for a second, I remember the first time I used it I found the voice modifier thing, and while talking to my friend I started ramping it up one notch at a time while quoting Roger Rabbit.
Remember when I killed your brother Eddie? and I sounded just... like... THIS!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
In regards to getting a cheap PS3 in Australia, Edge had an article on how hardcore FPS players are dumping their PS3's and getting xboxes just to keep playing the few specific games they're into. Maybe you could post a wanted ad on craigslist or bruceslist or whatever you have there and just offer slightly more than the local used game store would give people for a ps3?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

SpacePig posted:

I think it has to do with the community. I'm not really sure, though.

Because the PC fps community is too nerdy, with not nearly enough 12 year old racists screaming at their mom for more chocolate milk. But really it probably has more to do with the fact all their friends are getting a game for a specific console or they prefer lounging on the couch with the HDTV instead of being at a desk. The kind of gamers who only really play CoD and Madden games online are definitely the type who'd sell their console and switch to the other if they couldn't do the one thing they used their console for, and I can't blame them.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I just got the e-mail about the one free year of identity theft protection, but I was thinking since I had deleted my credit card info from the psn a few months prior to the break-in, I wouldn't bother with it. Are you all signing up for this Debix thing?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

SwissCM posted:

You're an idiot if you think that if Sony didn't do that, this would have still happened. The anger was the catalyst.

Yeah I agree, removing OtherOS is probably what stepped up the development of "breaking" the normal playstation OS's security to run homebrew, but even if it hadn't, and the jailbreak or whatever you want to call it got released, what I understand to be the single action that Anonymous went after Sony for was when they tried to get a California judge to release IP addresses of anyone who had gone to GeoHot's website so that they could try him in the state of California. I think the act of treating anyone who simply visits a website as some sort of accomplice and using their actions to prosecute one guy is what people found offensive. And once Anonymous backed off then of course the more "childish" in the group are going to break off and throw whatever tantrum they want. I mean at least when there was some sort of reasoning behind it I could empathize with their point of view, but now that it's just about the "lulz" I hope he/they get hit by a bus.

davebo fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 3, 2011

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I had a launch 60gb which I sold to my friend for the price of a slim when the slims came out, because he wanted ps2 compatibility and I used it once in the 2 years or so between launch and slim launch. It was a nice feature when the PS3 had no games but now it has a ton of games, and I just can't imagine the lower power consumption, larger hard drive, smaller size and increased reliability not being a better idea than a launch 60, although I do miss having 4 usb ports. If you really have a ton of games for xbox and have no desire to play blu-rays then it's probably not worth getting any PS3 just for 2 free games, but if the funds are there you might as well buy while you can get the two games, because the price isn't coming down in the near future it seems.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Martytoof posted:

It's not going to stop after it's "new". My Slim was purchased something like Nov 2009 and it still creaks like a victorian house in a hurricane after I've been playing for an hour or two.

I definitely remember my slim doing that when they first launched and for a while after, and it may be the case that I just don't play video games for as long as I used to, but I really haven't noticed mine doing that the past year. And certainly not when watching blurays. Would it do it more if your room temperature were pretty cool then being on warmed it up? Maybe I just keep my house kind of warm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I'm going to take personal responsibility for the dualshock design never significantly changing. Sony knows people like me know the controller so well that it's become a part of us and will not welcome any major changes. I would throw a poo poo-fit if they switched to concave pads and we had to glue some crazy crap in there to try to make them convex again. The triggers on the other hand should be a little concave. I got those $5 trigger adapters and they're okay but they're too bulky and too concave. I like the thickness of the original triggers, I just want the bottoms to go out instead of in.

I also like the analog sticks being symmetrical because for the first year or two of the PS3 all there was to play were downloadable twin-stick shooters :P

• Locked thread