Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
This was sort of mentioned toward the end of the last thread, but what is involved in opening up your PS3 to make the fan stop spinning so fast so constantly? My warranty is long over, and it's a fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
So, in doing the preventative maintenance linked on page 2, I managed to do it in such a way that the PS3 is louder than ever before. I opened it again, figuring I had put too little thermal compound on the processors, when I find that I've screwed them in too tight and have apparently ruined the heads of the super-special screws that hold one of the pressure plates in place, so it seems it's gonna get louder and louder until I get YLOD.

What do I do in a case of transferring data from a functioning system, but wanting to keep the hard-drive from the first one? Would I just have to do 2 transfers, or does the data stay on the old hard drive as well and I can just change it out after it transfers all the system information?

e: Or, can I just activate the system with my account and move the HD?

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 7, 2010

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
How much interest is there, usually, for PS3s "for parts"?

As I said on the last page, I hosed up preventative maintenance in using way too little thermal paste, and now can't get it back open because I hosed up a screw on the plate that holds the fan in place. It "works", but it runs really loudly and very hot within a few minutes of playing a game.

Also, how long does data transfer usually take? I know it depends on the amount of stuff I have, but does it also depend on hard-drive speed?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Doc Cylon posted:

Well, when I did my 80GB, it did roughly 63GB of data in 6 hours to an external hard drive. However I would say this was an extreme case, I've seen someone do 30-40GB in about an hour and a half. It may just be that my external drive sucks.

I know external backups take awhile (I've done one before, and will have to do it again if teekun is to be believed) mostly due to the speed limitations of USB. I figured system-to-system transfer might not take as long since it uses the LAn ports.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Isn't there a reset button on the back of the controllers? Have you tried that?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Policenaut posted:

Hey, I have a quick question about the Data Transfer Utility. I'm about to go out and buy the PS3 Move bundle and I kind of wanted to get an answer before starting this thing up.

I read the whole thing up to this part and got a little confused

What does this mean exactly? Do I create a PlayStation Network account on the new PS3 or am I already fine with what I have on my old PS3. Because it sounds all fine (update both to new firmware, deactivate account, sync trophies) until I get to that part. It kind of just sounds like if I didn't have a PSN account on the original PS3 to begin with I'd have a problem but just checking.

The trophies thing just requires you to sync from the old one before you transfer, and sync with the other afterwards.

I don't think it'll allow you to use any saves that are locked, but I have no experience with that one, so I don't know for sure.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

RagnarokAngel posted:

The trophy data thing is just because for some reason trophies do not automatically sync, so theyre warning you these "unsynced" trophied will not transfer.

Yeah, it was werid. I forgot to re-sync, and started re-earning trophies.

I wouldn't mind the manual re-sync if it didn't take so drat long.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Coughing Hobo posted:

I have a bigtime favor to ask of someone with a non-80GB backwards-compatible PS3 and a copy of Tales of the Abyss for the PS2. I ran into an unfortunate bug in that game whereupon when you enter Choral Castle, you can no longer move, and cannot continue the game. Apparently it only occurs on 80GB BC PS3s, which is of course what I have.

This happens with alot of games for that model, apparently. I couldn't get past one of the earliest missions in Yakuza (Fuma/Kazuma got shot in the Dojima headquarters, and you had to jump out the window) because it would go to load a new area, and would just freeze on the loading screen, still playing the music. I can't do anything to help you, but I know your pain.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

wuLFe posted:

If you're looking for a great open world game for the PS3, I'd personally recommend either Prototype or Infamous over GTA4.

I bought GTA4 at launch, and after a few hours, was thoroughly bored with the whole concept, put it back in the cupboard, and there it sits to this day, gathering dust.

Infamous and Prototype were comparatively incredibly immersive, and just far more enjoyable in my opinion.

Also, you can probably pick up either of them for less than $20, which also helps.

While I would never disagree with a general recommendation of Infamous, I can't say that it works in this case. Instead of a true sandbox game where you can do anything and everything you want, they're more open-worlded adventure games. I don't like the GTA games, personally, but I will say that there's not much that gives you the freedom they do.
Maybe Just Cause 2 or Saint's Row 2 (neither of which I have played, but have heard generally good things about) would be a better alternate to GTA4

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Danthrax posted:

GTA4 owned but why is nobody recommending Red Dead Redemption? Best open-world game I've ever played, and better than GTA4 in pretty much every way.

I love RDR, but it really comes down to whether you like/can put up with the cowboy/Wild West aesthetic. It's definitely well worth the full purchase pirce, but it might not be what he's looking for.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
e: Nevermind. This argument belongs in the Games thread, anyway.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Samurai Sanders posted:

I should probably know this but do downloads continue in the background if you play a DVD?

As long as it's not something connected to the internet while in use, it should be fine.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

abagofcheetos posted:

You sure about Playstation games? I've been playing Symphony of the Night and it has been notifying me of friends signing in, and let me download the Mass Effect 2 demo while I played.

Is it the PSN version? Because that's technically still a PS3 program, like watching a downloaded video or playing a DLC game.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Kramdar posted:

I doubt they'd use two different methods to run the game, disc and download should run the same.

Oh. Well then.

Don't mind me.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Palleon posted:

There is a transfer tool that lets you transfer EVERYTHING to another PS3, I'm not sure if it maintains the data on the original PS3 or not though, I've never used it.

I have, and I don't think they give you the option. I'm pretty sure there's a warning before you start the transfer tool that the information will be lost on the original, but I may be wrong.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Fremry posted:

Does it transfer accounts, too? Like, will I have to unlink the accounts from the original PS3 and then reactivate them on the new one, or does it do that all for you?

IIRC, you have to do it all yourself. It transfers the individual accounts and such, but you need to de-activate the old and activate the new yourself.

I did this all in a flurry of anger and desperation, so my memory's a bit hazy, but I'm pretty sure it won't let you transfer without deactivating. It also gives you step-by-step instructions, so it doesn't end up being particuarly difficult, just frustrating.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Fremry posted:

I'm just afraid that I may have lost the passwords to the accounts as they are like 2 years old.

If you had the passwords saved, I'm pretty sure it transfers them, it's just that you have to tie the system to that account.

Again, don't quote me on any of this, because I had a bit of a frustrating time with it, and was just glad to be done with it, and pretty much forgot about it. But i'm pretty sure I'm right.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

thomas kingo posted:

I recently bought a PS3 and Heavy Rain to go with it, but I've been noticing quite a bit of motion blur in some sequences of Heavy Rain. Is this normal for the PS3, the game or does it have something to with my tv? It just doesn't look very smooth.

It could be any combination of things. Make sure the video settings for the PS3 match what your TV can handle. Also, it could just be the game, but I'm not sure how much motion blur you're talking, so I can't properly comment.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
E: poo poo, this is the General thread. Nothing to see here.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Be careful disassembling and re-assembling it, though, because the screws are kinda easy to thread or break. There are plates that have specialty screw in them, and I managed to gently caress them up in asuch a way that the fans won't run and I can't re-open it. I'm not sure what the gently caress I did, and I had to buy a new system.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Get rid of the stuff you can re-download, like DLC and PSN games, and store any media files, like songs and videos, somewhere else. This will make the backup go more quickly and smoothly, and gives it less of a chance at leaving you hanging somewhere in the middle of doing it. Also, make copies of your saves and such if you're not feeling confident. Then, use the Backup tool that's in the system menu to backup install info and saves.

Simply copying files doesn't always work, for some reason, but the backup itself should work assuming you restore as soon as the hard-drive is initialized.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Ok, well, I guess I'm taking that card off and investing in PSN cards.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I think this might be the first real incentive to actually make me consider getting PS+. Anyone here have it that thinks it's worth it otherwise?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

teethgrinder posted:

It's been absolutely worth it to me for the freebies and discounts. If you don't buy a lot of PSN stuff anyway though it probably wouldn't be worthwhile.

I buy an almost ebarrassing amount of stuff from the PSN, so I may just sign up for PS+ once the PSN is back up.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

revolther posted:

Ya, I've been holding out on PS+ because I feel stupid not jumping on Sam & Max for free, but might as well now that they are adding cloud saving.

How do shares work with free/discount things with PS+? I usually make a separate account, but I have a nephew and a friend I give games by keeping my main account on their systems, they can still enjoy free games without being logged into my account right?

I'm pretty sure you can't share PS+ accounts.

e: The year is just a 1-time payment, right? Not a discounted monthly fee?

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 9, 2011

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Ohhhh yes you can. A buddy shares his between his own PS3 and mine. Sometimes I download old PS1 games and things with his Plus account.

Oh. Well then, I guess I was misinformed. That's pretty neat, then.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

revolther posted:

Here's a question: How many of you can't add the precise amount of funds to your PSN wallet from credit card for purchases?

I have a friend who always has to round up to the nearest 5 dollar increment, but mine just does the exact amount.

You might be adding funds at the time of purchase, which will let you add just enough to buy what you're buying, but if you're just adding fund without an immediate purchase, I'm pretty sure it's $5 increments. That's been my experience with it, at least.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

teethgrinder posted:

Finally got around to upgrading my drive. 2.5 hours to back up the 80 GB drive. Half an hour to change the drives because ... naturally I completely stripped two screws. I had a perfectly matching screwdriver and everything.

It's estimating 1.75 hours to restore my data.

If I counted the time it took me to repartition and reformat an external drive to FAT32, this would be a 6-7 hour job.

Y~up

The smart thing to have done would've been to delete all PSN games and Home if you have it, and move any locked saves to a thumb drive or soemthing, then back it up. Games can be re-doanloaded as can home, and it would cut the backup/restore time dramatically.
I learned this the hard way, BTW.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have a question:

What do you like about it (the ps3)? What do you wish the ps3 would do differently?

What about the PS3 would make you choose it again if you went back in time, other than game choices/variety?

I would prefer you answered as critically as possible while still being a bit realistic in your statements. :v:

I had a PS1 and a PS2, and enjoyed them more than any other system, so I was leaning pretty strongly to a PS3 in the first place a PS3. At the time when I decided to buy it, though, I thought I'd be getting a 360 because I had a few friends that had them. All in all, it came down to exclusives, affiliated studios, and brand loyalty, in addition to the overwhelming number of Red Ring horror stories I'd been hearing at the time, and a having gaming-capable PC.

I'll echo Apocadall and say that wireless speeds are attrocious, but I'm more than satisfied with just about everythin else about the system itself. What would make me choose it again knowing what I know now, excluding knowledge of game releases, is exactly what made me get it in the first place: Brand loyalty/satisfaction/familiarity, and hearing the dissatisfaction of 360 owners with the systems' failure rate.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

frogg posted:

Wait so is the PS1 emulator region free? If this means I can dig up my old stash of PS1 games I bought when I was 10 and living in England it's the first thing I'm doing when I get back to my parents house over the summer.

Independence Day and the Die Hard Trilogy ruled my life then. I miss being young and stupid and loving every movie tie-in game ever.

I'm pretty sure PS1 is hardware, so I doubt it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

kojicolnair posted:

My PS3 froze yesterday in the middle of playing 3d dot heroes, kind of annoying but just hoping it won't start doing this regularly as I have a lot to lose if it were to die.

You may want to take this opportunity to back everything up, then.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Fuzz posted:

Because of this Facebook contest I won, I am now this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh1jB4hVJRg

Except both of my hands are fully functional, and I don't look like a total creep. Also my house doesn't have a fugly bathroom.

:smugbert:

Do you have a cake, too? This is important.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Seriously. I was skeptical at first, too, but it really is a huge upgrade.

If you're gonna do more than, like, 30 inches, make sure to go for 1080p. Under that, the difference is pretty much negligible.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Just saw this on Penny Arcade:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I don't really mind that it's down. It doesn't effect me as much as it would most people, and I don't pay for it. I just thought the comic was funny.

I only just noticed "CEO of loving Bullshit" at the bottom there, which is a bit much IMO.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Now in 3D, PSN stuck in 4th dimension.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
People always over-react to the word "indefinitely". It pretty much means "we don't know when the gently caress, and we don't wanna make any promises".

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Yeah. I don't know why they think they're on some sort of righteous crusade for their "right" to play pirated games or whatever.

Luckily, I've got some Playoff hockey and single-player games to keep me occupied for the duration.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Oh, I believe you. People tend to freak out over ambiguous wording. They assume the absolute worst. It's bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

yellowcar posted:

Depending on how tonight goes there might not be much of playoff hockey left for me to watch. :v:

(who am I kidding I'm still gonna watch it all)

Oh, me too. I don't know if you can tell, but I'm a Flyers fan. It's do or die tonight, and even though they've got the lead right now, i'm not super-confident.

• Locked thread