Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Fuzz posted:

These jailbreak dudes need to stop focusing on porting the app to all sorts of weird poo poo and instead focus on coding a new Firmware that will let me get back onto PSN, dammit.

But...my graphing calculator needs the app...:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Yechezkel posted:

What is this blue thing in the Playstation 15th anniversary logo?

I think it's the DVD remote.

e: f, b

Pandanaut fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 13, 2010

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Guy Axlerod posted:

I got a free copy of Pain from subway, so I go to download it. Background the download and set the PS3 to turn off when its finished. I watch TV while it downloads/installs and I know it's done when it turns off.

I go to start the game, update required. Wait, 7 updates required. Gigs and Gigs, 2 hours to download. What the gently caress. Would it kill them to roll up the updates in to the store download? I mean I understand when it's a disc sitting on a shelf, but a download shouldn't need an update, let alone 7!

Yep. I didn't even make it through the whole thing. I canceled with two to go, went into the game in offline mode, found out it sucked and begrudgingly deleted it. Ugh.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
I don't give a poo poo about Linux or whatever it is that people are so thrilled for, but I would love to have cross game chat and the ability to back up my saves on my laptop so I don't have to worry about a console farting out on me.

But I am irked by the fact that the floodgates have opened for pirates and potential online cheaters. Sucks, but it was bound to happen I guess with a security issue this massive.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

bluegoon posted:

I guess for all the awesome pros there are equally lovely cons too.

This whole development is moving at warp 9 though, it appears as if a PUP (Playstation Update Package?) is hours away from being released which installs custom firmware allowing execution without the need to be in service mode.

EDIT: Correction, it seems that it still requires the jailbreak device, it is however, a hybrid of some sorts, think I should rather just wait it out instead of trying to wrap my head around all this bullshit at the moment.

Yeah I'm not bothering with anything to do with this for a while.

What also grinds my gears is that a lot of people out there are saying if Sony had left OtherOS available none of this would have been a problem. I'm sorry, but I have to call bullshit on that one. As long as there is something that can be cracked, people are going to try to crack it. If Linux is that valuable then every machine from PlayStations to toasters should have goddamned Linux capabilities I suppose.

If it means potentially getting banned from PSN or something to play some lovely version of Pong, then more power to them. When it starts spilling online and affects my experience (with invincibility/aimbots/infinite boosts or whatever), I'm gonna be pissed.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

dis astranagant posted:

Realistically, OtherOS kept the people with actual skills busy enough that they didn't try too hard to break out of their little sandbox. Once that was taken away, they became rather annoyed and started looking for ways to get their toys back and in the process it was shown that the emperor was never actually wearing the clothes he was bragging about so much.

That's actually the best way I've heard it put. Well done. :golfclap:

And I'm not trying to be overly critical. It's obvious the gently caress up is entirely on Sony's end. I guess it just annoys me to read all of this "Sony is a billion dollar corporation, they don't care if they miss out on my game sales" and poo poo like that. Thankfully that's a very small minority. Obviously there's no going back so all we can do is buckle up and see what happens.

As an aside, it doesn't make that Geohot dude come off as any less of a douche. He may be a whiz kid, but (and even if it was tongue in cheek) to boast he can make the next console for Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft secure amuses me. I'm sure there are tens of people just as capable as him out there who just don't have the celebrity.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Dbhjed posted:

From all the YLOD that have been happening, I've started to back up all my games that are important to me on a three day game play basis (or if I hit a big mile stone)

I have an 80 gig ps3 that was released on Aug 20, 2008. Is that one at risk for the YLOD? (better question does it have the 90nm or the 65nm)

I think it's mainly the 60 GB that has the most problems, but I think the 80 GB also has some issues.

With two 60s biting the dust playing Brotherhood, I'm scared to try playing again. I hate what Sony did with the copy protected saves, because I'll need to have a new PS3 and my current one connected by a cable to get all of that stuff over, right? I don't want to lose something like my Demon's Souls playthrough. :ohdear:

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Palleon posted:

That's correct, the only conceivable way you'd get your saves back is if they repaired your unit and sent it back to you, and you held on to the original hard drive. But there's absolutely no way to guarantee that that would be the case (I honestly would have paid Sony a fair amount of money for them to make that the case, it's a shame they don't have the option).

I think even if he plugged in the original hard drive and held onto the one with all of his saves he'd have to reformat it when he put it in.

Ugh, I hate this.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Neon Knight posted:

My 80 gig YLOD'd in November, my brother fixed it by buying a $15 heat gun and watching a guy on youtube take it apart. Took a while to get around to it so I got a slim thinking the 80 was done for good. So here I am with 2, it was simple to put my red dead and borderlands saves on a USB stick from my 80 and play them on my slim. There may be a few exceptions but I believe most game saves are not protected in such a fashion.

Here is a list of games with copy protected saves (not up to date, but you get the idea).

For me, personally, this would directly impact stuff like Demon's Souls, Super Street Fighter IV (I am assuming since SFIV is), Sly Collection, among others.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Dbhjed posted:

For games that are PSN ID locked, I can transfer them over to another ps3 as long as I use the same account?

I'm assuming so. Anything on that list without an asterisk cannot be backed up and put on a separate machine short of using the link cable (I think, if I'm wrong someone please correct me).

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Dbhjed posted:

I don't understand 100% game save lock. Hard drives die and people upgrade consoles.

I think all games should be locked to your PSN to prevent sharing but to 100% disable backing up seems like a douche move. Have fun playing for 30 hours of your life but if your console breaks oh well.

I doubt you'd find a single person on the face of the planet that disagrees with you (unless they work at Sony). I have no idea why they chose to do it the way they did.

I shouldn't have to sit here, wondering if I should go out and buy a Slim just so I can make sure my saves are safe. I mean, yeah I always have the option of getting someone to repair it, but it just sucks that I can't directly trade my current PS3 to a new one since I literally have to have them connected by a cable.

So stupid. Ugh.

E: Another fun fact I found when looking into it more: before firmware 3.15 you couldn't even transfer protected saves. When it came out Sony (on the European Blog) denied that you could even move stuff like Killzone 2 save data. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions because this whole thing annoys me beyond belief, but it's almost as though they actively want to prevent people from doing this. Whatever, hopefully someone can figure out something with the system being hacked (and it's pathetic that it has to come to me rooting for hackers to figure out a solution).

Pandanaut fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 10, 2011

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Everything I have read points to this being that plastic Move rifle attachment thingy.

I hope Target just sends out a couple hundred of those instead.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Martytoof posted:

Server based savegames? YES PLEASE! :f5:

Now that means I have to get PlayStation Plus, I guess.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

I said come in! posted:

It might not be but pretty much assume it is so you aren't disappointed.

Why do I have this sinking feeling all of the games I'll want to back up will have developers who will opt out? :qq:

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

I said come in! posted:

I really wish people wouldn't link to a picture of my hot abs.

I thought you were a girl.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

I said come in! posted:

I thought I was too but obviously the truth is out now and I was full of poo poo. Now i'm some goon with hot abs. God drat look at how sexy I am. :allears:

Do you bring your PS3 along when you go to the Olive Garden?

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
I have no idea where to post this, so I'm gonna hope this is the correct thread.

Sony and Geohot settled.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Fuzz posted:

EDIT: ^^^- And this latest update above basically validates what I'm saying.

I'd be very careful about the type of plane they put you on. It may spontaneously explode at a certain altitude. :ohdear:

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
I can't say that I see myself getting pissed off enough that I want to jump ship.

I'll be happy once the PSN is up and running, I can play Uncharted 3 and Twisted Metal, and from now on I'll just stick to PSN cards.

Probably is a bad sign for those who want to get Brink on the triple. SOCOM 4 should rebound since it's SOCOM, but most Brink users will probably go to the 360 (the ones that want to buy it for a console that is).

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
How many memes does it take to talk your way out of this one?

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

I said come in! posted:

They still have to find the specific people behind this. Anon is a large group and of course not everyone apart of it took part in this attack. At least they can narrow it down though.

Just lock up the first fucker you see in a Guy Fawkes mask and be done with it. Gimme my Motorstorms!

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Kirios posted:

Either backup / restore or Data transfer work to transfer information from one PS3 to another.

I seriously didn't know this. That's awesome.

And it's also what they should have done in the first place.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Yechezkel posted:

:siren: 3.61 update is now available! :siren:

Just started the download and hoo-boy is this gonna take forever.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I got it in about 2 minutes; actually much faster than I'm used to for PS3 system updates.

Yeah, mine's going quickly. Just the first time it crashed around 20% (which seems to be happening to a lot of people).

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a list of available free items? I'm away from my PS3 till the end of june or so.

If you're in the US,

-Wipeout HD + Fury
-inFamous
-LittleBigPlanet
-Super Stardust HD
-Dead Nation

Pick two.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
This has probably been answered hundreds of times, but I wanted to ask before I drop :10bux: on another HDMI cable.

I have used the same cable on my fatty PS3 for years now. I've changed TVs fine with it and everything was hunky dory. Today I just got a slim and it refuses to pick up the signal. It's nothing to do with the TV or ports (booted up my fatty to check and it still works fine) but for some reason the slim doesn't like this cord. It's running fine right now in SD, but it won't go to HD for whatever reason. I don't have any other HDMI ones around to compare it to.

Is this a common issue?

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Bah, nothing worked. Unplugging it gave me sound for about half a second then it just went to a dead, black screen.

Thanks for Monoprice though, I ordered another cable from them. Hopefully that'll sort it out. :)

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Turns out it was just the cord. I don't know if it's the age or the fact that it was plugged strictly into my fat PS3 but that HDMI cable seems shot. Oh well.

Thanks again, everyone. :)

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
So my new slim is great and all, but I think it's haunted.

After use every once and a while (once a day or so) it creaks like floorboard or something. Reading online it seems this is the case of the system being new and getting use to the heat/fan being on? I don't know, it doesn't impact anything it just weirds me out each time.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
That's good to know. I didn't want to call Ghost Hunters and have them sit in my house showing me how haunted my PS3 is with EVP recordings.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

VoidAltoid posted:

Neither controller is perfect. The sticks and triggers on the DS3 are crap, the D-pad on the 360 is crap. Who cares, after a couple hours with either one you stop noticing the controller anyway.

My biggest probably with the DS3 was the triggers, but Real Triggers completely fixed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

AxeManiac posted:

Nice, got my new PS3 Slim to replace my dying one. The dying one still works, just it over heats sometimes. Any idea what I can/could charge for that? Would Gamestop buy it for store credit or something? Or do they do cash? I'm moving this week and would rather do cash, can't pay movers with gift cards.

Also going to do the whole account deactivation and transfer thing tonight, should be fun, I always manage to mess these things up somehow by not following a rule or step.

You can do cash but it's like 40% of what they offer in credit.

• Locked thread