Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Judging by muscle nerds Twitter, you can now jailbreak your PS3 with a calculator!

MuscleNerd PS3 jailbreak has been ported to common classroom calculator (TI-84+/SE), courtesy of @brandonlwilson http://is.gd/eXju3
about 2 hours ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I like all the people who are being so goody-two-shoes about the whole thing. Like you have owned every single song you ever had on your computer, or owned every single NES cart for your emulating needs.

While i don't think piracy is great either, this constant "gee, theres nothing but piracy" talk is just boring. While it could start and stop at piracy, you know it won't.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Bob Cthulhu posted:

I'm crossing my fingers for an XBMC-type thing, and maybe some competent emulators. Mostly things that would make my (entertainment) life a little bit easier.

No man, don't you see? Only the Wii and DS make sense to use for emulating. Apparently our friend above thinks that nothing good has come out of any of the other systems.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

MUFFlNS posted:

I don't think having a dedicated homebrew thread is worth it yet since it's still very early days and 99% of people will have upgraded their firmware anyways. Might as well wait a while and see if/when something worthwhile develops, all it's capable of right now is playing pirated games.

Cant you also back up your games onto the system? Thats the main reason i want this.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

The Walrus posted:

I love these forums. :bravo:

Seriously. I was thinking who the gently caress would have that game / want to do it...and there ya go

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Ehud posted:

My wife just bought me a PS3 for my birthday because she is awesome. I want to pick up another controller so we can play together. The Sony branded controllers are pretty pricey. Are there any third party options that are less expensive but don't suck, or am I better off just biting the bullet on a $45 - $55 first party controller?

Oh and right now I've just got Little Big Planet. What other games would be good to play together? Castle Crashers looks like a good purchase that would be easy for us to pick up and play.

Playstation Move has my girlfriend asking me to play

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Isnak posted:

I've realised I adore fighting games and PC has gently caress all choice of current gen titles, but I don't want to shell out £250 for a new PS3, is there anywhere in the UK you can get a secondhand 80gb or so PS3 with a warranty for less than 150? Should I just get an Xbox 4gb for 150?

People sell their used PS3's for $200 CDN here, which is less in UK pounds. No warranty usually though as they're older models.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

keyframe posted:

Holy poo poo Canada is getting xmb netflix app today. It will be launched in us in october apparently.

It loving blows in terms of selection:

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=2765056849626104020&postID=119025387422615662

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Amused Frog posted:

Well, I found out that Sainbury in the UK are selling 320gig console + Move Starter pack for £239.99 instore, so I caved at lunchtime and, instead of waiting another week until payday, went and picked one up.

Another half hour and I can take this baby home and fire her up. Then sulk as I have no games yet, just a demo disc.

Buy Sports Champions or else you will not like your purchase, I'm not joking.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Amused Frog posted:

I'm going to pick it up along with another controller. Thinking of getting a navigator too as they're not too expensive and it'll be nice to have it around for the odd game I want to play that uses it.

I mostly got the bundle because I've been planning to get a PS3 for ages and a 320 gig for £240, with or without the Move bundle, is cheaper than I'd seen any 120 or 250 gig models.

It's a killer system, but yeah, SC is the only worthwhile game for Move. Start The Party is good for multiple people and alcohol makes it better.

Tumble is a great little game as well, and can be $2 if you do a Game Share.

The Shoot is actually really fun, and you should play the demo, but it's like $40 new. Not worth it.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

ColdCock posted:

I don't get the firmware thing. It seems pretty drat scammy. Even after Best Buy updates your firmware, if you want to get online, you still have to know or figure out how to configure your network settings. After that, a firmware update is drat near automatic. Having the most recent firmware is only required for connecting to the PSN anyway.

To me, this is an example of Best Buy taking advantage of someone who is new to a product, by making them think setting it up is a monumental task.

I guess you hate mechanics, plumbers, electricians, or anyone else who "specializes" in something that you can't really defend because you don't know better.

A family friend of ours can service his own plane's engine, but downloads Bonzai Buddy.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

ColdCock posted:

I think you're missing the point. The only thing about updating your firmware that requires any knowledge of, well, anything is configuring your network settings (which Best Buy can't do). The only reason you NEED the most recent firmware is to get online. Are these people supposed to take their PS3 back to Best Buy every time there is a new firmware update?

Yes?

Like, I am playing Devil's Advocate here, but sure. People will sell a service if they know there's other people out there that will pay. What's so hard about this?

Some people don't know what the gently caress firmware even is. They need the Geek Squad's help. A fellow co-worker recently paid Best Buy to install Norton 360 on her laptop. Are you telling me she could have put the CD in and clicked Next 90 times? Sure, but she didn't.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I'm interested in hacking my PS3. Problem seems to be not knowing where to start on all these "PS3 hack" websites. I'm pretty sure i'm upgraded to the latest firmware, or the firmware before that.

I'm guessing I have to downgrade to then install this? Then I'm guessing some games might not work because the FW is too low? Is there an easy A -> B tutorial? Is there a thread somewhere i'm missing that explains all this?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Thanks for the replies. Didn't know you didn't have to downgrade anymore, thats awesome. I didn't think this would be a taboo topic as it seems to be kosher, but maybe there's some encrypted key they're using that's illegal, who knows.

Anyways, I'll hold off for the time being, but I cant wait to rip this thing apart and make it into a wicked HTPC. I'll then take out my Mac Mini and sell the poo poo out of it.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Civil posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you want your PS3 to be able to do, that it can't currently do?

I have a burning desire to jailbreak anything that can be jail broken. Phones, remotes, computers (hackintosh) and systems. I find more fun in doing the process than what comes from it, with some exceptions. Remembering what the XBox turned into after XBMC was installed, I'm anxious to see what an updated version of that could be, considering the PS3 has a web browser, blue ray player and plays games. My Mac Mini does some of those things but I'd rather have another desktop computer instead of it being tethered to my TV.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Isn't the PS3 not a jailbreak and they're just using the term for familiarity?

As am I. No need to split hairs :)

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

I recently decided to bite the bullet and get a new PSN ID. I had to fiddle with e-mail addresses, changing PS3 IDs as well, and the worst part was losing my save files (and my Trophies, omg). They really should allow you to change your ID, just like you can with the Xbox.

It pained me to do it, but after I lost all my saves, I realized I didn't really care and all it meant is that (if I wanted them back) that I had to play through great games again.

Couldn't you have backed up your saves and then transferred them over, except for certain games that wont allow it?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Checked the OP and it just said I can install whatever HD I want, obviously as long as it fits.

I just got into homebrewing and my old fat Ps3's hard drive wont be big enough for what I want to do with it.

Questions:

I would like to keep all my saves/PSN downloads/accounts and transfer them onto my new HDD. I don't think I own any saves that can't be transferred, but is there some way to find out which ones do or something so this process wont be screwed up, or will it just skip over those files? For instance, I used to own Modnation Racers and I think that save was fixed to your console or something? Or was that LBP? I doubt I own any of those games but would like to know so there's no weird Xxxx0055454 error while trying to back up.

What size/cost ratio would be best? I'd love a huge fuckoff drive and then never have to worry.

I'm in Canada, so sites like tigerdirect.ca would work best for me.

Thanks Goons!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

This has probably been covered before, but I need to know somewhat quickly and Google is giving mixed results. Can I copy a gamesave to USB and play it on a different PS3, or is there some sort of protection that stops that from working? I'm going to be out of town this weekend with a lot of downtime but I'll have access to a PS3.

The gamesave in question will help us let you know.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

3.56 just came out, but it won't download for me. The download just stops in the middle.

Sony's page only lists 3.55 still (http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/).

I googled the issue and just found a thread where someone else was having the same issue.

So, I can't download it manually, I can't update through the system, and it won't let me sign in and play until I apply the update. I've never experienced this before with the PS3. :(

Edit, found this:
http://dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net/update/ps3/image/us/2011_0127_6e070c96e0464e993aaf9deac3660863/PS3UPDAT.PUP

I wonder what the changes are?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

How long is that cable? If it's much under 20 feet, you got ripped off.

$10 for a HDMI cable from a brick and mortar store isn't being ripped off at all man. I understand Goons live and die by ordering literally everything online so they don't have to move, but sometimes it's nice to put a face to the product and be able to drive back within 30 minutes in case something's wrong.

Now purchasing a HDMI cable from Future Shop / Best Buy and paying Monster prices on the other hand...

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Chinaski posted:

I bought a PS3 the other day. Is there anything to Playstation Home other than some sort of Second Life style social nonsense?

You used to be able to use voice chat. I'd go into the game after getting really baked and gently caress with them

You can't do this anymore

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

quote:

So there I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night. So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Keith Moon, and David Crosby, breaking into that little sweets shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shopowner and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really. But, sure enough, I got the M&Ms, and Ozzy went on stage and did a great show.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

I said come in! posted:

What happens if only one is turned on?

I don't know if that was a mistake or not Dr. Video Games 0050 but please don't edit it out because its awesome.

It's from Wayne's World 2. There's some really good quotes in that movie. I hope I'm not probated or anything because God drat Mike Myers.

quote:

Del Preston: Woodstock? That was quite a show, man.
Garth: You were at Woodstock?
Wayne: Excellent! What was it like?
Del Preston: It rained all morning, and then it cleared up in the afternoon. And that's it, I almost remembered something else, but it's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Last one:

quote:

Garth: Wow. Look at this scrapbook.
Wayne: Wow!
Garth: That's you with Led Zeppelin.
Del Preston: Yeh. My old lady put that together. We must've toured every concert hall and venue in America. Me, my old lady, and the road.
Wayne: Is that you and Bob Dylan? Who's that old lady?
Del Preston: That's my old lady.

• Locked thread