Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You need to toss the Frag FX and put the Frag N Stein in that OP in its place. Very very few of us have FragFXs. I can think of at least 10 of us that have FnSes, however, and we all love the poo poo out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

I read a review of the Fragnstein which said it has a noticable dead zone when playing MW2 - is this true? The reviewer said he has played with XIM, fragFX, and this thing, and that the best he could come up with was Fragnstein+XIM.

Does anyone also have any experience with XIM? I have a laptop sitting next to my TV at all times anyways to play videos, so I was considering trying that out. I don't know a reliable place to pick one up though.

He was probably retarded and didn't know how to tweak the firmware. The behavior of the FragNStein in many games depends entirely on which firmware you're running on it. Thankfully the FnS guys keep every useful firmwares copy on their site, and it's ridiculously simple to hotswap out firmwares. I played through all of MW2 with my FnS, and I had no problems at all... it was drat responsive. Forgot which firmware I used since MW2 is kinda poo poo and I traded it back like a week after I beat the SP part.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Goetta posted:

Is the bluetooth headset in the OP the current favorite of everyone or is there something better that people tend to buy like a cell phone one?

I use a random Plantronics one I got on woot for $20 like 2 years ago. No one has ever had any complaints about it, and I like it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Crows Turn Off posted:

All of them can play PS1 games. The newer ones cannot play PS2 games. They did that because it's cheaper to manufacture the system.

Thing is, the MGS4 editon PS3s had BC, and the extra cost in hardware was minimal... they don't have the whole Emotion chip or whatever the CPU of the PS2 was called, all they have is a GPU chip for the PS2, as I understand it. Rest of the emulation is all software.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

I'm honestly surprised this tired argument isn't bannable yet. My psp makes a nice portable ps1, snes, genesis, nes, dos box, ebook reader and runs several roguelikes it wouldn't otherwise. My ps3 will probably make a decent htpc when people stop yelling piracy long enough to do something useful with their time.

The first time I played Snatcher was using the SegaCD emulator on my PSP. It was loving awesome.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

You just listed like at least 3 ways you're using it to pirate.

I normally like your posts, but what the gently caress, seriously? You have your SNES still hooked up and an old PC you keep setup with MS DOS, just so you can play all those old games you bought as a kid? Get your head out of your rear end.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

He is actually correct. You don't get to pick and choose which copyright laws you want to follow. These games are still protected, and it is piracy to play them on your psp. Especially since a lot of these games are available still for digital purchase on other platforms. If you are playing Super Mario RPG on your PSP, thats a pretty clear cut case of piracy.

Aphrodite posted:

Oh, it's hard to do? Well that makes piracy legal then!

What exactly is your argument? That it's not piracy? Because it is. Or are you arguing that it's justified and/or victimless piracy? That may be so, and I'm definitely not getting in to that, but it's a really dumb list of things to use when trying to counter a piracy argument.

I'm saying that if I go out and buy a copy of Snatcher on Sega CD (which I did) and then I choose to rip a ROM of that game and then play it on my PSP, that's perfectly within my right to do because I own a copy of that game. Same for the SNES games I play, or any other system.

Just because I'm playing the ROM, doesn't mean I don't already actually own the game. I have loving shitload of SNES games that I picked up during a clearance sale way back in like 1996. My computer monitor (which is my only TV, I'm a medical student and live in a small studio) has no composite video input, nor does it have a VGA input meaning the vast majority of VGA boxes won't even work with it (I already bought one and tried to no avail :smith: ) so hooking up an SNES isn't really an option.

Yeah, I'm probably the minority by far, but the fact remains, if I have the ability to play these games that I already own on another system, is that ethically wrong?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I was being sarcastic. :p

Oh we all know. You just need to realize that Ham is retarded. (and also from Egypt, didn't you know that Arabs have no sense of humor?) :buddy:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Someone had mentioned before that there was a way to revert firmware on your PS3... I haven't found any evidence to confirm this, do you have a link, or is it in fact impossible?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Murodese posted:

Yeah, it hasn't worked for a long time. There are tricks (proxy servers) to block mandatory updates while retaining psn access though, which I know a couple of people are using so they don't lose OtherOS.

Dammit, really? Well poo poo, now I'm sad I don't have OtherOS anymore. Apparently the PCSX2 guy is getting to work already on a PS2 emulator AND a Dreamcast emulator. I'll say no more since some people are going to start crying about piracy or whatever.

Suffice it to say, how does one setup a proxy to still get onto PSN without updating?

EDIT: Found this, don't see why it wouldn't work.

http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-guides-tutorials/psn-firmware-bypass-using-only-ps3-proxy-98033.html

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 8, 2010

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

http://psx-scene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65511

Even easier than the proxy workaround, you just set your DNS to a specific IP. They can't ban you because you're using that IP because that's not proof that you're really doing anything illegal.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

To me, the PS2 was the "second SNES". To me [and most, I think] the SNES dominated the market during its time with its amazing selection of titles and developers. I'd say, while the PS1 was one hell of a console with some legendary titles, we didn't see that kind of astounding selection of titles again until the PS2. Soooo much good stuff.

Goddamn PS3, don't you know I have PS2 stuff to beat still? Stop sitting there mocking me with your impressive library and gorgeous graphics and sound. :argh:

I think the PS1 was the first successor to the SNES, simply because at the time of its life, there really wasn't any alternative other than the N64, and PSX had literally like 3 times the library of the N64.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

These jailbreak dudes need to stop focusing on porting the app to all sorts of weird poo poo and instead focus on coding a new Firmware that will let me get back onto PSN, dammit.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Sco Dylan posted:

I still don't get why anybody would lock their PS3 in time and disable online functionality just to be able to copy vanilla single player games.

You won't get DLC, online, or updates. And sometimes those updates are crucial, see Bayonetta and Red Dead.

You assume it will lock you out of PSN and they won't figure out a firmware that can spoof PSN and fool it, and you also assume it's for copying games... gently caress that, I want some goddamn emulators! Being able to take just my PS3 and 4 controllers to a friend's house and suddenly we have a full on MAME box hooked up to an HD TV in the living room via 2 wires in 5 seconds = win.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So anyne want to start a PS3 Homebrew thread, since there's enough info around for it to be warranted, and that way we can stop making GBS threads up this thread and don't have to worry about the peanut gallery chiming in about how PIRACY IS WRONG or whatever?
I'd do it but I know I won't have the time to stay up on the news and keep it updated, so I'd rather have a real OP instead of be the cause of the usual bullshit routine of no one updating the OP for 2 years and it turning to poo poo.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

What's with all these people selling their PS3s? :smith:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Sorry to cross post an SA-Mart thing, but if anyone's in the market for another (or new) Dualshock 3, I'm selling a brand new one.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3347588&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post381991158

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

SpacePig posted:

Isn't there a reset button on the back of the controllers? Have you tried that?

Yeah, it's a little hole on the top right in the middle.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Pain is crap. It's the only PSN game I have gotten off of my sharegroup and actually gone out of my way to delete because it was so bad.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm more interested in them making fake firmware to spoof PSN at the moment. I miss being able to play games with you guys.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I really want a white or silver Japanese DS3.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Is there a difference? You can get them easily enough from Amazon, they are just expensive. :/

Supposedly (according to stirlo) the analog stick tension is way higher... like DS2 level high. As a guy that likes a stiffer stick (:dong: ) this is a good thing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Okay, someone talk me out of going out and buying another PS3 just to homebrew on it. I ama poor medical student who can't afford it, but goddammit the window for 3.41 is only going to get smaller!

Or conversely, find me a cheap guaranteed 3.41 or less PS3 for cheap. I don't even need controllers!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mug posted:

When you get your 2nd PS3 and your little jailbreak USB thing, what exactly are you going to do with it? There's no fun homebrew stuff to play with.

Oh but there will be... there will be.

If they manage to get a working MAME, SNES, Genesis, et al. and also PC Engine, Dreamcast, Saturn, XBMC, N64, and Gamecube emulators working on it, it would have been WELL worth the purchase. Cheaper than getting an HTPC, plus it plays basically every old console I love, has a built in 1080p HDMI port, AND it works with a remote? (which I already have)

Sign me up!

A theoretical Wii emulator via Move would just be icing on the cake. Icing I doubt will ever happen, but hey, whatever.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hey guys, I'm totally going to drag my desktop PC (and all its wires and paraphernalia, as my laptop isn't ridiculous enough for some emulators) to my friend's house where my group of friends all conglomerate, hook it up to a TV and somehow to the sound system, and then go through a shitload of hassle to get multiple controllers all working and calibrated (separately for each emulator, in some cases. See Project64 and ePSXe) so that, a full 45 min- 1 hour later, after everyone's lost interest, we can settle down to have a jaunty romp through the old X-Men arcade game or play GoldenEye or NBA Jam or Twisted Metal Black, and reminisce about our childhood.

Yes, that is way easier than taking a single PS3 unit over, borrowing my friend's PS3's HDMI cable and power plug, resynching his controllers along with mine, and sitting down and playing the same poo poo within like 5 minutes.

Yeah, I totally don't see the utility of that. At all. Completely ridiculous!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mantle posted:

If you read just a few posts back he knows that but is expecting the PS3 to have that functionality in the future as long as he gets a 3.41 PS3 now.

Why not?

This guy knows what's what. And they say Reading Comprehension doesn't exist on these forums...

Also a regular old X-Box can't play Twisted Metal Black. (a PS2 game) It also can't emulate the Dreamcast, as far as I know. I want my awesome version of Soul Reaver, dammit!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Good news!

Neither will the PS3.

My current one already does. :colbert:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

You're already convinced what you want why did you even bother to ask?

Because I was hoping someone would give me a GOOD reason.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

a japanese pop icon posted:

You don't have the money to spare and irresponsible spending is something that should stop after age 16.

Is that a good enough reason?

drat you, appealing to my mature sensibilities.

Fine, you win. :smith:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Anyone that updated try using their FragNStein yet? I'd hate to find out that that thing suddenly doesn't work anymore, either.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Civil posted:

I decided to go out and pick up a move controller today and best buys in Emeryville and Sacramento were sold out. It seems to be doing okay.

I don't like hunting, so I just ordered off amazon.

You should have gone to K-Mart, they have a $25 GC if you get the bundle, and a $10 GC for every other Move component you buy, including the charging stand.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Amused Frog posted:

Yeah. Still no dice.

Did you wire it in and press the PS button a bunch of times? That's how you have to sync it up the first time. Turn on the PS3 with the power stich on it, not with another controller, and then plug this one in and just press the PS button a few times and it'll eventually sync.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=217388823

Funky XFPS like gadget that lets you use a mouse and keyboard instead of a controller for games... dunno how well it works, but it's way cheaper than the old XFPS was, and seems far, far simpler to setup. (XFPS needed like a PS2 adapter plug and all this jiggery pokery)

I'm sticking to my FragNStein, but if anyone's in the market for a mouse solution, may want to try this out. Definitely cheaper, although you'd need to get a wired mouse+kb to use with it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Scyron posted:

I would try it out, but with the latest firmware, 3.50, there is a possibility it wouldn't work as other third party input methods have become invalid.

Wait what? 3.5 invalidates the Frag N Stein? What the gently caress, Sony.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ehud posted:

Eh nevermind. I just peeled the prongs back and it works.

Er... it looks like that plug is a 3.5mm and any AV cable you have would be an RCA connection... just jamming it in there wouldn't actually be a good idea, yous hould get a real adapter, they cost like $2 on Monoprice.

On an aside, I dunno how kosher it is to post here, but if you have a broken PS3 and are trying to sell it, I'm buying!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3355274

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ColdCock posted:

To me, this is an example of Best Buy taking advantage of someone who is new to a product, by making them think setting it up is a monumental task.

Welcome to Best Buy!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ColdCock posted:

I don't think anyone here is arguing that they should do it for free.

They're pissed because Best Buy is charging $30 for a service that should cost 5 or maybe 10.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Kalix posted:

So I'm not sure if this is the best place, but here goes:

I'm looking at picking up a console to play casually. I've found I can't bring myself to get totally immerrsed in a game anymore.

I've got a PC and used to play a lot of shooters on it...probably would avoid carrying the FPS genre over since I find a mouse and keyboard very comfortable for that. I fired up TF2 not long ago and it is very different with that store junk.

I just want stuff that I can pick up, play around with for a bit, and put it away. Don't see that much on the PC (that I don't already have , world of goo - portal) that does this.

It wouldn't hurt if I could play with friends or the gf - the latter being a huge plus.

I'm a huge fan of the PS3 streaming features already, and don't have a blu ray player.

Would the PS3 work for me?

Honestly, I'd say stick to your PC and actually look at the Steam catalogue, because there's a lot of little games on there that are pretty fun. Also check out GoG for a lot of really great older games. The monetary investment for a PS3 probably won't be worth it to you, unless you're also really looking for a BD drive, then sure why not. Just go get a good controller for your PC.

Throwdown posted:

A fool and his money.

http://aphroditecu29.com/WireWorld/HDMICable.aspx

That lovely website posted:

The Platinum Starlight HDMI cable incorporates carbon fiber connectors and 24 solid silver conductors in the DNA Helix design, to deliver the richest sonic textures and the most tactile images that the finest A/V systems can produce.

Ahahaha, nice advertising. Let's throw a bunch of flashy adjectives in there, that'll sell them! I also love the horrendous background, reminds me of GeoCities circa 1996.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 9, 2010

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

If you don't pay at least $900 for your USB cables with DNA Helix design, you won't get the most vivacious charging and the maximal data transfer speeds to your PSP. Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ziploc posted:

It has DVI which is primarily for my computer with the VGA used for gaming on the Xbox (Or potentially PS3). Ideally I would like a VGA dongle. But I suppose I could live with DVI. But I would need to unplug the computer to play PS3.

No, you'd just need a DVI-switch. Way cheaper and the video quality would be way better than converting a digital signal to lovely VGA.

• Locked thread