Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Thankyou so much for making a new thread!

Cbouncerrun posted:

I guess I'll start off the new thread with a question.

Is there any way to check the total amount of memory available/being used on the PS3? The only way I've found is to check each individual file and add it all up.

Yup. Go to the settings tab in the XMB and scroll down to System Settings, then something along the lines of general info or some such. I forget exactly but you should be able to find it in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Yechezkel posted:

Here is another accessory that many people may be interested in:

Power A's Pro Elite Wireless Controller with concave L2/R2 buttons, concave analog sticks, and swapped positions of the directional buttons and left analog stick. It has rumble and Sixaxis support, but no Bluetooth. It uses a USB dongle, and it has a built-in rechargeable battery that can be charged up with a USB cable.

Both Amazon and Toys R Us have it for $35 this week.

Thing about controllers like this though, is are the face buttons analogue or digital? Many third party controllers just go digital because it's cheaper which really screws you over if you want to play something like MGS4 or GT5 with the controller. The Amazon page doesn't say anything about it either so I'd be cautious.

Edit: You might wanna put a little info about the 3D capabilities of the PS3 also OP, since the PS3 can now play some games in 3D and I think Blu Rays too? Unless that firmware update is coming later on? Also since so many people ask, perhaps a small section to let people know that cross game chat is being worked on might be useful too.

MUFFlNS fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 3, 2010

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

gently caress that game is amazing.

Someone still updated it to 3D after Liverpool was closed :(

Such a legendary studio.

Yup. They brought us Wipeout, Destruction Derby, Colony Wars, G Police etc. Those guys are one of the main reasons the PlayStation brand became popular in the first place, without them in the PS1 days Sony would have been completely hosed. It's a shame to see them dropped like that when they should be one of Sony's most important studios. Absolutely baffling that they get axed yet the team that brought us such classics as Buzz and Eyepet get to hang around :rolleyes:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

They laid off a buttload of staff and the remaining ones got sent to work in the same building as Evolution Studios (Motorstorm series). So unless Sony ever gets bored of Motorstorm games don't expect another Wipeout game ever :(

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Something interesting I just read about PS Jailbreak is that the next release for it (firmware or whatever) will allow you to play backups of PS2 games on any model of PS3, even Slims. I guess Sony really were just holding back backwards compatability to try and make a little cash with HD rereleases of games such as God of War and Sly Cooper :(

Edit: Apparently the next update will also add support for playback of .MKV files and the update after that will bring back Linux support. I wonder how long until they bring us crossgame chat too? At this rate the PSJailbreak people are bringing out the features PS3 owners have wanted for years in a matter of weeks :pwn:

MUFFlNS fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 6, 2010

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

To be honest from what they're saying (which is basically "Hey we'll have PS2 emulation shortly!") I'm under the impression that they know what they're doing and aren't bullshitting at all. I just hope that they make some real progress here with the PS3. I mean playing backups is one thing sure, but if they're gonna be bringing back PS2 support, .MKV playback, Linux and hopefully more stuff (emulators for old home consoles and MAME etc) then I'll gladly pick one of these things up. Originally I assumed they were just setting out to allow people to play copied games but now that they're demonstrating an interest in actually bringing really useful features that PS3 owners have been wanting for years I'm interested in what they're doing.

We've already seen great things come from PSP custom firmware (one example being custom soundtracks for every PSP game) so I'm hoping the PS3 really opens up to a lot of great things now.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I think it's a real shame that with the online stores on consoles (PlayStation Store, Xbox Marketplace and Wii Shopping Channel) that we're only able to buy games. I'd love it if consoles were opened up to independantly developed applications like what we see on the iPhone etc, since it seems such a waste to hold things such as that back.

I'm hoping that when the PS4 comes around, Sony open up development a little bit more and let people bring their own applications/themes/whatever to the PS3. It seems like the natural evolution from where we currently are.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Apparently the PCSX2 guy is getting to work already on a PS2 emulator AND a Dreamcast emulator. I'll say no more since some people are going to start crying about piracy or whatever.

Daaaaaaamn. I'll say it right now, a PS3 with full backwards compatability (PS1 and PS2) along with Dreamcast emulation, and the standard SNES/MegaDrive/MAME support you see with this kinda stuff would be the best console in the history of mankind :colbert:

What's interesting though is that whilst poking around the PS3s registry files or whatever, some people have found the PS2 emulation stuff along with PSP emulation too, which is really exciting because I'd much rather play my PSP games on a TV instead of that tiny little screen with awkward controls. I'm sure it's mainly there for people wanting to play PSP Minis on their PS3s (a standard feature) but if it ended up being a way to play proper PSP games on the PS3 then wahey :D

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I don't think having a dedicated homebrew thread is worth it yet since it's still very early days and 99% of people will have upgraded their firmware anyways. Might as well wait a while and see if/when something worthwhile develops, all it's capable of right now is playing pirated games.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Forbidden Donut posted:

Question I'm hoping someone can help with. I have a friend in England. I am in the US. When he or I try to invite the other one to a Beatles Rockband game it always says "Can't Connect to Session" or something very similar. I'm honestly at a loss as to what to do, I've played with other people randomly no problem. Is it a router problem? I have an Actiontec MI424WR router if that helps. I've tried adjusting some of the settings on it but I'm not exactly sure what to do.

Either or both of you have closed NATs. I can't remember how to set it to open but you basically have to fiddle with your router. Someone else here should know what ports to open or whatever.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Yup GT5 is in 3D.

Also chiming in to say that I have a launch 60gb that still works fine!!! However the fans aren't as quiet as they used to be and the Slim looks quite fancy so I'm gonna chuck this thing up on Ebay. Anxiously looking forward to the insane amount of time it takes to transfer everything from one console to another :suicide:

Edit: And who could forget those wonderful screws in the hard drive bay that strip if you so much as look at them funny :sigh:

MUFFlNS fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 31, 2010

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I have a wired FragFX which works brilliantly. I've heard bad things about the wireless one though.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Ok can some people give me advice on getting all my data from my old PS3 to my new PS3? I know there is a method involving just connecting two consoles together with an ethernet cable but I cannot do that in my situation. The thing is that I have a launch 60gb PS3 that I put a 320gb hard drive into, and I want to take that 320gb hard drive (ideally with all my data) and put it into my PS3 Slim.

What's the best way to do this? I know I could backup onto an external hard drive, then dump the 320gb into the Slim and restore from the external drive but I'm going to lose out on some game saves working via that method aren't I?

I also know I'm going to have to deactivate a bunch of PSN accounts but surely if you backup everything it saves all the User info on the console and copies them all over right? Any info/help would be much appreciated.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Cop posted:

I got a used copy for $25 and the few games I've played so far have been fine. What seems to be the problem?

Apparently since the PS3 was hacked MW2 has turned into an unplayable mess with every game being full of hackers. I'm not surprised that it's untrue, people said the same about Black Ops and I've yet to run into a single hacker there either.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah same here, I max out my download speed on the PSN and get stuff faster than I do off Xbox Live.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

This could be complete horsehit but apparently some Sony guy has been talking in the comments section of various articles over on ENGadget discussing possible things that Sony may be doing once the PSN comes back.

Things mentioned are Paypal being an option when purchasing things from the store (presumably since they apparently have quite good security) and features such as being able to change your PSN ID (already possible on Japanese PSN) making its way to the Euro and American PSN. Oh, and also the usual talk of cross-game chat.

Source.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Ok so everyone can stop worrying about firmware 3.61 killing your PS3, it's been confirmed that LA Noire is overheating Xbox 360s too and that it's a problem with the game.

quote:

Report: LA Noire To Blame For Consoles Overheating

Problem spreads to Xbox 360 as Sony denies culpability and Rockstar issues workaround.

Sony has told us unequivocally that there is no issue with its 3.61 firmware update. Earlier today it was thought that the update, which was released to upgrade security on the console, was causing units to overheat following complaints from some LA Noire players.

"As with the release of any System Update, we will invariably see a very small number of users whose console has failed following updating their console, which is an unfortunate coincidence" Sony explains.

The company pointed to Rockstar's recently published work around as an admission of blame for the overheating problem, which has now spread to Xbox 360 consoles too.

"Rockstar have now updated their FAQ on the matter, have admitted that it is a fault with their latest title LA Noire and have offered a work around," says Sony. "It should also be noted that the issue with this title is not PS3 specific and is also affecting other consoles."

Source

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Question about user accounts on the PS3 here. Basically, I have a whole bunch of user accounts for various regions, and from various gameshares I've joined in the past. Is it possible to delete those user accounts and still be able to use the content on my main account?

Thinking about it logically, I'd assume the content would still work because even though the accounts are deleted, they are still activated on the console itself right? I thought it best to make sure however, especially since I've long forgotten all the login info for these accounts and if I deleted them and were unable to play the games on my main account, I'd have no way of getting them back on there.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Roman posted:

Powerful hardware is good but it would be nice if they also upgraded PSN to be as good as XBL (party chat etc). Keeping it free would be nice too. I would really like to see XBL's subscription model get a kick in the balls.

PSN on Vita already has cross-game party voice chat that's available to use for free, and the only reason the PS3 doesn't also have it is due to memory constraints. It's pretty much a given that PS4 will have that functionality since it's already a feature of the PSN.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I'll reserve judgement on the touchscreen until I can see what the controller actually looks like and how the functionality will be integrated with the OS and games. By the sounds of it, it will be much smaller than what's seen on the Wii U and just occupy a central position on the controller that won't interfere with anything.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I think the Sixaxis controls for flying in Warhawk were pretty great too, actually. I recall it giving the same impression that I had when playing Flower, in that it felt like a pretty natural and intuitive way to fly around.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I think the Twisted Metal franchise is dead. After the latest PS3 game the developers (Eat Sleep Play) went off to start making mobile games while David Jaffe left them and started up a new studio to work on a new IP.

The game bombed commercially as far as I know which is a real shame because it's one of the best games of 2012 and easily the best Twisted Metal game as well, it's ridiculously fun. The problem though is that the demo for the game was completely broken which turned everybody off, and it took them a couple weeks to get online working properly once the game launched as well.

Starhawk suffered a similar fate too, being another fantastic multiplayer game that nobody bought. Now the studio has abandoned console development and decided to chase up mobile gaming like ESP did. Shame really.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I would love to be surprised with a Wipeout game for the launch of the PS4, but given that Sony Liverpool is dead and Wipeout HD apparently sold terribly I can't see it happening. Rumor has it though that prior to being shut down, Sony Liverpool had been working on a Wipeout game for the launch of the PS4 for about a year and a half. Maybe there's a slim chance that Evolution Studios (who absorbed part of SL I think?) continued work on it and we'll still see it though, which would be preferable to another Motorstorm game in my opinion.

Really tragic though to see these great classic PlayStation franchises such as Twisted Metal and Wipeout just die like that, especially when both franchises had their best entries on the PS3. That's a big part of why I hope that the PS4 has some form of backwards compatibility actually, because I'll probably continue to play Twisted Metal and Wipeout HD for a long time to come.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

...! posted:

Oh and it continually records your gameplay? I hope that can be turned off because the amount of hard drive space that would use can't be small. And that loving Share button? Are you loving kidding me? I don't even use the PS3's Facebook functionality because I think even that is oversharing. What happens if I accidentally push the button? There's suddenly a Youtube video of me playing vidja games? I sure hope not.

According to the Edge report it only saves the last 15 minutes of gameplay which wouldn't clog up the hard drive much, and I've no doubt that it's a feature that you can disable in your console settings if you wish. As for why they would include it? Well YouTube has absolutely exploded this past few years with Let's Play videos and other footage of videogames that people like to record and upload. I mean heck, some people actually make a living off uploading footage of themselves playing COD or something, and if Sony can push out a console that doesn't require a capture card and does all the hard work for people, then that's pretty cool I think.

Granted, the video upload thing is something I probably wouldn't use that much although I'm sure everybody has had a moment where something funny has happened in a game and they've wished that they could share it. I think that being able to take screenshots whenever you want is pretty cool though :shobon:

I get the impression that Sony might be aiming to make the PS4 one very socially connected console. Safe bet would be cross-game chat and such, but having other integration like sharing screenshots/video and who knows what else could end up being pretty neat, like XBL+++ or something.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I guess it all depends on how much Cell processors cost to manufacture right now, and if it will be worth chucking one inside the PS4 for the sake of emulation. I mean say for example if the Cell costs $50 (pure guess) then that's a hell of a lot of money to ship a million consoles with backwards compatibility.

I've still got my fingers crossed for multiple SKUs (which seems to be commonplace with hardware launches now) with a higher end model offering backwards compatibility for a higher price.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Hahaha, yeah okay sure. Everyone is going to pack up and leave those sweet sweet profits behind over some magical number that actually isn't that hard to reach.

Well I think that at the end of the day, any development studio could make a game running at 60fps. The difficulty arises when attempting to make a game that runs at that framerate and still looks good graphically, which is where you require some very talented people and a custom development engine, since popular ones such as Unreal Engine are designed around looking as good as possible at 30fps.

Your point is proven quite easily however by Call of Duty being hands-down the most popular and best-selling franchise of this console generation and running at 60fps. The developers employ a heavily modified version of the Quake 3 engine that did originally run at sub-720p resolutions, but given how nice Black Ops 2 looks I wouldn't be surprised if they had optimized and tweaked it to such a level that it's now running in true HD (can't be bothered checking Digital Foundry).

The problem however is that most publishers and developers would rather invest their time into as many graphical effects as possible than worrying about framerate, since they want a game that looks great more than they want a game that runs great. I think EA are particularly bad for this since their console games as of late not only run like poo poo, but don't look particularly great either, so they'll always rely on PC footage for adverts to mislead consumers.

If Sony and Microsoft did add requirements of 60fps into their certification processes however? I think assumptions that the vast majority of studios and publishers would die is absurd. They wouldn't go anywhere, you'd just see a smaller graphical leap to the next generation than most would be expecting sure, but everybody would hop on the 60fps train because everybody is capable of creating software like that, they're just not willing to due to the compromises it would require in the eyecandy department.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

evilalien posted:

It's 880x720 at best (it sometimes drops lower on PS3), which is still very far away from 1280x720.

Ah, so they have slowly been upping the resolution then. I remember originally it was what, 600p or maybe less?

It's worth noting that there are plenty of other games that also run at sub-HD resolutions. I think the Halo franchise has been another one of the most notable examples (until Halo 4 anyways). Still, there are plenty of great games that have run at 60fps but it seems to mainly be a target for developers of racing games and action games. Call of Duty is really the odd one out for targeting such a smooth framerate given the genre it's in, but for racing games in particular a target of 60fps appears to be important to both developers and consumers, and the same applies for the action genre (Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising).

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Also I have to kind of agree with you on the choosing between microsoft/sony. The Xbox had a really good couple of years in the beginning when compared against Sony, but now Sony is pulling out in the lead (at least to me).

This is how it's been for me too.

I got an Xbox 360 at launch and had an absolute blast. Project Gotham Racing 3 and Condemned were absolutely freakin' amazing games that I had a ton of fun with, and really blew my socks off graphically. Then there was Chromehounds which is one of my favorite online games ever, Crackdown which was excellent, the first Gears of War which I played the hell out of and Forza Motorsport 2 which I considered God's gift to gaming at the time. The Xbox 360 had an amazing start and some great software which blew my socks off with how great it was.

Then there was just problems galore. The RROD issue which hit me and all my friends, then Xbox Live had that major downtime for roughly a whole freakin' month which was frustrating as hell because it's a paid service, and then Microsoft's idea of an apology was giving us some lovely XBLA submarine game for free a few months later. Then Gears of War 2 launched and had busted online for the entire time I owned it (I eventually got fed up and sold it in disgust along with everybody else) which added more frustrations to the fact I was being charged money for a service that wasn't working correctly on hardware prone to malfunctioning. Then Xbox 360 exclusives started to dry up or be horribly disappointing while Sony was starting to come out with some incredible software and yeah, my Xbox 360 started collecting dust and I cancelled my XBL subscription.

I've still had some fun with my Xbox 360 here and there, but there's been a serious lack of exclusive software from Microsoft and their big guns such as Gears of War 3, Halo 4 and Forza 4 have all been incredibly disappointing for various reasons, so I can't see myself investing in a Microsoft console ever again to be honest, because I feel like I've been treated awfully by them as a customer.

That's not to say that Sony is perfect either, but the way that they handled the PSN downtime didn't leave me feeling as hosed as I did with how Microsoft handled the Xbox Live downtime for example. When you add in their commitment to great software and how good PS+ has been though (nevermind how they don't screw customers over on accessories like Microsoft does) they've definitely won me over when I started this console generation with the intention of sticking solely with my Xbox 360.

Zedicus Mann posted:

How likely or unlikely is it that the PS4 will not support PS3 games?

I'd put it as 50/50 right now. They could offer a version of the PS4 with a Cell processor in there for an extra $50-$100 perhaps, or maybe use Gaikai for some kind of streaming solution, or maybe just abandon the idea of backwards compatibility completely. There's no way of knowing for sure until Sony says.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I'd expect the next Xbox to have Blu Ray purely because we're a loooooooooong way from consoles going exclusively digital and also because Microsoft will be marketing the next Xbox as being the only device anybody needs under their TV.

They're probably going to make a huge push with the features of Xbox Live in regards to TV, music and movies and position it as an all-in-one family entertainment center. They'll target families by showing off how the kids can enjoy Kinect games, the teenagers can play Halo, and the parents can watch TV and Blu Ray movies or use Netflix and everything else that the device offers.

This is the same strategy that Sony had for the PS3 but lack of foresight in regards to how much memory they allocated to the OS to upgrade it and add new features over time limited what they were able to do, unfortunately. I've no doubt though that both companies will be making a huge fuss over what the consoles are capable of outside of playing videogames though.

Microsoft will definitely suck it up and pay the Blu Ray licensing fees, just like they did with DVD for the Xbox and Xbox 360 (which was developed by Sony and three other companies) because they will be going all-out aggressive to get an Xbox in every home, and Blu Ray playback combined with all the other multimedia features will be all the justification that many families need to purchase a video game console.

That's what I think anyways. I also suspect that Microsoft will come out guns blazing given their difficulties in other markets as of late v:shobon:v

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

So Edge, about the only reputable place when it comes to news regarding next generation consoles (who revealed news/specs of the upcoming PS4) have just dropped a bit of a bombshell regarding the next Xbox. According to Edge, the next Xbox will block used games via one-time activation codes provided with them at purchase and on top of that, apparently their next console will also require an internet connection in order to function.

Why am I mentioning that in this thread? Well firstly, if Edge are claiming that this is true, that automatically elevates the possibility beyond rumor and secondly, if Microsoft is actually going ahead with this then there is the very real chance that Sony could follow suit, purely due to pressure from major publishers.

There's been rumors of the next Xbox blocking used game sales for roughly a year now, and since Edge has finally come out and confirmed it, I'd consider it something worth taking notice of now. You can find a link to the article here. You can also read it below.

Edge posted:

Microsoft’s next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft’s next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

Our source has also confirmed that the next Xbox’s recently rumoured specs are entirely accurate. That means an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. As of now, the console’s hard drive capacity is said to be undecided, but Microsoft’s extended commitment to online delivery suggests that it will be the largest unit it has put inside a console to date.

Though the architectures of the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation both resemble that of PCs, several development sources have told us that Sony’s solution is preferable when it comes to leveraging power. Studios working with the next-gen Xbox are currently being forced to work with only approved development libraries, while Sony is encouraging coders to get closer to the metal of its box. Furthermore, the operating system overhead of Microsoft’s next console is more oppressive than Sony’s equivalent, giving the PlayStation-badged unit another advantage.

Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft is continuing to invest heavily in motion-control interfaces, and a new, more reliably responsive Kinect will also ship alongside the next Xbox. Sony’s next-generation console camera system is said to have a similar set of features, and is expected to be discussed at the company’s PlayStation event on February 20.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

So if that's true I think it would be safe to assume digital distribution is going to be a big part of the next generation. Why buy a physical copy when it has no more resale value than a digital copy? Also if true, I bet this turns Gamestop into a primarily retro store, which would be nice.

It just really sucks because I won't get to experience as many games as I have this generation thanks to trading stuff in for new stuff, with the added hit of not even being able to attribute value to a collection because no one will be able to buy or use my Xbox 3/PS4 games 20 years from now.

What was Edge's source? How often are they right with their rumors?

It's worth noting that Gamestop recently announced the closure of about 500 stores, so maybe they already know about this as well.

Regarding Edge, I can't recall any time their reports have ended up being wrong. They're pretty reputable and credible, and wouldn't be running these stories unless they were certain of their accuracy.

Scyron posted:

I would love it, since I rarely buy used, but I'll be damned if gamestop will let that happen, seeing as they pressure developers to make exclusive dlc just for them.

I don't think that Gamestop has the power over the industry that many people assume it does. Remember when Game collapsed in the UK last year? A big contributing factor to that was major publishers such as EA saying "gently caress you, we're not sending you our games to sell" and lo and behold, it completely and utterly hosed the company and put them into administration. Of course they're still going now after a buyout and major downsizing, but retailers are nowhere near as powerful as people think they are. If Microsoft said "gently caress you" to them, they would be utterly powerless, even more so if Sony decided to take the same route.

There's no shortage of other retailers that don't specialize in gaming who would be more than happy to sell the next Xbox for Microsoft.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

You don't think Sony/MS would match prices if they jump into Steam's pool like these rumors suggest?

They wouldn't. Publishers set the prices of their DD games, not Sony or Microsoft. That's why a Sony published game will launch for a sensible price on the PSN, whereas EA games are always horrifically overpriced and even more expensive than retail. This is also why publishers will be pushing to eliminate used games and why Gamestop doesn't have the power that people think they do, because once the industry shifts to a situation where publishers have full control, game prices will go high and stay high. Whereas the used price of a game that's a year old might be $20 or so, it's still $40+ on DD services on consoles. All that Microsoft and Sony can do is say "We think you should lower the price..." but if publishers decide to say no, it's their call.

Why is Steam different? Smaller market and ease of piracy in my opinion, it's not the same as consoles at all which is why there's a price difference. You could also argue that since PC games have no used market (like next console gen games will apparently be) that's also why prices are lower. Does this mean prices of games could lower next console generation? I doubt it. Publishers set prices and as we've seen with their absurd console DD prices, multiplayer activation codes and on-disc DLC, given the opportunity to gently caress the consumer they will take it, with the justification that development costs have increased because of more powerful hardware.

Valve making the jump to the home console business could present an interesting situation though, either with publishers not being as eager to participate in Steam sales any more due to Valve suddenly being in the same boat as Microsoft/Sony or ~something nice~ happening.

Of course, this is all going off of assumptions and wild speculation in regards to what Edge has said. Perhaps used games will go the way of multiplayer activation codes? There's a chance that used games don't work unless you purchase a $10 activation code off the online store? That would still allow for a used game market, just with lower prices is all. That could be wishful thinking though.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

katkillad2 posted:

If it's true, that's a big if, I seriously don't think Microsoft would be doing this without Sony on board as well. Just take a look at the cell phone, banking, or airline industries for examples of this kind of thing. It's too large of an advantage to let your competition have.

Yeah, I doubt Microsoft would go ahead with this unless they knew that Sony was doing it as well. It's likely that publishers would have wrangled Microsoft and Sony into integrating similar systems and it would be difficult for one to back down and say "No, we don't want to do this" because while they would win favor with consumers, they would be on a lot of major publishers shitlists.

So say for example if Sony declined to integrate anti-used tech into the PS4, while many of us would cheer them for such a move, you can guarantee that Microsoft would use their favor with publishers to then ensure a constant stream of exclusive DLC and games that PS4 owners would not receive.

In other news, Gamestop's stock value is already plummeting now that this news has started to circulate.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, come Feb 20th I'd just expect an announcement, overview of new features and the reveal of some games like whatever racer Evolution Studios is working on and some fancy shooter from Guerrilla Games to make jaws drop. No price, no release date, no comment on used games etc.

Neo Rasa posted:

Also did it not recently become legal for a person to privately sell the digital rites to a product? Was this only in Europe?

German courts are suing Valve for their TOS that prevents people from legally reselling their Steam accounts. Germany says "That's loving bullshit" and demanded Valve change their policy. Valve ignored them and now they're being sued.

Personally, I love Valve but I hope that this hits them just so that it can set a precedent that screwing consumers isn't okay. If you have a Steam account with a whole bunch of games you no longer play and you want to sell your account to somebody to recoup a little cash, that should be perfectly legal and not run you the risk of getting your account banned.

MUFFlNS fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 6, 2013

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

There's also the fact that without competition from a marketplace of used games, or even crowded shelf space factors, there is no incentive for publishers to lower the price of their games and we're going to end up with a bunch of lovely Origin-like services where EA says: "Sales cheapen our IP."

EA released Dead Space 3 on the European PSN store today, with the price set at £59.99 (Sony gets no say in what they charge) which is just utterly batshit insane. For reference, the game is officially sold in physical format at retail stores at a price of £39.99 for both PS3 and Xbox 360, which is the standard price for all games sold at retail (save for Call of Duty games which are sold at £44.99).

I dread to think how much games would cost without a used market and publishers having more control over how much their games are sold for, because companies such as EA are downright disgusting with their pricing strategies.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I don't know why I would want to buy a console at launch anyways. New consoles are always just shiny looking doorstops for the first two years until actual good games come out. Don't be a sucker, wait until a price drop, and the first few big titles get released before buying the PS4. It's always the same song and dance; the announcement of the PS4 will have a couple real big name titles, that show off the power of the system, but they'll get delayed for a couple years.

This is why it needs backwards compatibility :negative:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I remember getting it and the Space Hulk remake when they first came out and being blown away. You might also like the PSX Alien Resurrection game actually believe it or not. It began life as a third person Resident Evil clone but quickly got turned into an FPS. So the end result inadvertently has that deliberate and oppressive pacing to it. It's pretty technically impressive for a PSX game also honestly. One of the few truly great sounding PS1 games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ucl5Q3KXUY&t=3m50s

Just watched some of that video and that game looks amazing. I remember when it came out and being excited but I think it got pretty crappy reviews? Shame really since it looks fantastic, and certainly seems to have the more recent Aliens: Colonial Marines beat when it comes to atmosphere.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Cardboard Fox posted:

Gran Turismo 3
SSX
Twisted Metal: Black

These games are what had me wanting a PS2, which really is saying something because the Dreamcast was just hitting it's stride and had some amazing software, but then I'd look at what the PS2 was getting and be all "drat".

What had me wanting the PS3 was seeing Ratchet & Clank Future, Warhawk, Uncharted, Formula One: CE, Resistance, Motorstorm and then all the jazzed-up ports of multiplat games like Fight Night 3 and Oblivion. Then seeing future games like MGS4 and Wipeout HD blowing my socks off :aaa:

MUFFlNS fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 7, 2013

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Since we're discussing the next console generation and also Steam, I think people here might be interested in hearing Gabe's keynote at the DICE summit. It's really interesting and he talks about Valve's intentions for the future and their goals of getting the PC into the living room along with his thoughts on Cloud gaming. Definitely worth a watch if you're interested, although unfortunately you'll have to skip forward in the video a little bit (2 minutes in) to see the start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeYxKIDGh8I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I am pretty excited for the PlayStation 4 announcement, but I have a feeling i'm still going to hate everything about next week, and just avoid gaming news sites outright. They are already over doing it with the hyping up of Sony's announcement.

It's getting ridiculous. Ueda posted a small blurb about The Last Guardian on his website to basically say, "Hey, I'm still working on this game, don't worry!" and straight away Neogaf erupts with "PS4 launch title confirmed" and it's just utterly ridiculous. I can actually see now why so many lovely gaming websites run with so many dumb rumors all the time, because there's so many morons constantly hyping this crap that it simply never ends.

I mean even I've said that I think The Last Guardian might have been pushed over to PS4 to bolster the launch lineup, but there's a big difference between speculation and taking some guys words and spinning them to be some kind of confirmation when he makes zero mention of the PS4 or the launch date of the game :rolleyes:

• Locked thread