Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Fubear posted:

Is there any way to disable the title screens when you have a game selected before launching it?

I often boot my PS3 without the intention of immediately using it and really hate having to listen to 10 seconds of obnoxious title music on repeat for whatever game I have in the drive until I deselect it.

It's even MORE annoying when you have your TV volume set too high and are suddenly blasted with that obnoxious title music full volume. I don't like my electronics making noise unless I ask them to.

You can't turn it off unfortunately, but you can set it to start on the "What's New" screen instead. Not sure where it is in the options, take a poke around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Sarchasm posted:

Are there any emulation issues or otherwise compelling reasons for me to not purchase Gunstar Heroes on PSN? How does the port stand up the Genesis original?

I haven't noticed any issues except that it's loving awesome and you should buy it.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Fauxtool posted:

put in a ziploc bag and freeze it overnight

Use a dental pick to scrape out as much of the now solid goo as you can.

:aaaaa: That is brilliant.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

slidebite posted:

I've got a fat BC 80GB. I'm thinking of putting in a bigger HD and find myself considering an SSD. I am assuming they're compatible. Anyone use one? Any reason not to (other than cost?)

SSD would just be a waste, you won't notice any real speed increase. Plus the fact the PS3 doesn't support features like trim makes it pretty pointless.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
I really don't recommend it, but http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10430&cs_id=1043009&p_id=7236&seq=1&format=2 and http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023501&p_id=2776&seq=1&format=2 combined with a ps3 av cable will probably work.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

fount of knowledge posted:

I loving love Monoprice.

I have a 50' one I got like 6 years ago for my projector, worked great and was cheapppp.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Whalley posted:

If someone ever managed to hack a PS3 to play Wii games, I'm pretty sure Move sales would go up like crazy.

There's a Wii emulator port in progress.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
Stop shaking the can.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Ah thanks for the info :)

One more question: the HDD were looking at is this bad boy:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7332879&sku=TSD-500AS9

We shouldn't have to do anything besides pop this in right?

That's a 3.5" drive which is too big for the ps3. You want a 2.5" sata drive http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=2676&name=2.5-SATA-Drive&Nav=%7Cc:1277%7C&Sort=0&Recs=10

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

OtherCubed posted:

I just put in a new hard drive a couple of weeks ago, and now my ps3 has died... is it just a coincidence? don't want to get a new one to have it crap out again if it was the hard drive's fault.

Also, if I put the hard drive in a new unit, will there be any chance of getting back the save files etc? I've realised I probably won't get back all my game shares (hadn't even played infamous 2 yet :sigh:), but I was on the last mission of saints row 2... and the disk is now stuck inside my dead console :(

Nope. Each hard drives data is encrypted to the ps3 it was in. If you put it in another unit it will just ask you to format it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Vengarr posted:

Hope its alright to ask a PS2 question here, since I don't see a thread and its not worth starting a new one.

I had my cousins over for Thanksgiving and I set them up to play DDR on my PS2. Just checked on it today to discover that they physically yanked the disc drive out somehow, and now its stuck.

I went to open the case to try the various fixes posted online, to discover that my version's case apparently won't open if the disc drive is stuck open. Wonderful. Is there any way to jimmy a solution here or am I hosed? I really loved that PS2.

If you look at the bottom of the drive sled there should be a groove that a pin rides in. Sounds like the pin thing is stuck and needs to be moved. Google PS2 slide card for information and some videos about how it works. It's mostly the same procedure.

• Locked thread