Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mug
Apr 26, 2005
New firmware update out today, anyone know what it does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Murodese posted:

...it's somewhat hilarious that they've already done more to system functionality in two weeks than Sony have in 3 years (moreso, because Sony have gone backwards)...

What the gently caress? I think adding the ability to play pirated games is gently caress all in comparison to the loving massive improvements the PS3's operating system has seen over the past 3 years.

edit: The jailbreak doesn't add iView to Australian PS3s, either. You can get to it using a regular USA PSN account, though. There isn't actually any homebrew content other than the backup loader, at this point, right?

Mug fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 7, 2010

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
If you run out of slots, sony will just reset them all in a single phonecall for you.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
The emulator for the Minis is a fully fledged PSP emulator it's just arbitrarily locked to certain titles.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Supposedly (according to stirlo) the analog stick tension is way higher... like DS2 level high. As a guy that likes a stiffer stick (:dong: ) this is a good thing.

There's not more tension at all. I have two white japanese ones and two australian black ones. It's all the same thing.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Okay, someone talk me out of going out and buying another PS3 just to homebrew on it. I ama poor medical student who can't afford it, but goddammit the window for 3.41 is only going to get smaller!

Or conversely, find me a cheap guaranteed 3.41 or less PS3 for cheap. I don't even need controllers!

When you get your 2nd PS3 and your little jailbreak USB thing, what exactly are you going to do with it? There's no fun homebrew stuff to play with.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Oh but there will be... there will be.

If they manage to get a working MAME, SNES, Genesis, et al. and also PC Engine, Dreamcast, Saturn, XBMC, N64, and Gamecube emulators working on it, it would have been WELL worth the purchase. Cheaper than getting an HTPC, plus it plays basically every old console I love, has a built in 1080p HDMI port, AND it works with a remote? (which I already have)

Sign me up!

A theoretical Wii emulator via Move would just be icing on the cake. Icing I doubt will ever happen, but hey, whatever.

None of these things are worth buying a 2nd PS3 for the chance they might *eventually* happen. You can emulate all those things on your PC right now, faster than a PS3 can, in a much more polished form than any homebrew on the PS3 will ever achieve.

You can come over my place and play my old consoles if you want, they're not that fun anymore.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Hey guys, I'm totally going to drag my desktop PC (and all its wires and paraphernalia, as my laptop isn't ridiculous enough for some emulators) to my friend's house where my group of friends all conglomerate, hook it up to a TV and somehow to the sound system, and then go through a shitload of hassle to get multiple controllers all working and calibrated (separately for each emulator, in some cases. See Project64 and ePSXe) so that, a full 45 min- 1 hour later, after everyone's lost interest, we can settle down to have a jaunty romp through the old X-Men arcade game or play GoldenEye or NBA Jam or Twisted Metal Black, and reminisce about our childhood.

Yes, that is way easier than taking a single PS3 unit over, borrowing my friend's PS3's HDMI cable and power plug, resynching his controllers along with mine, and sitting down and playing the same poo poo within like 5 minutes.

Yeah, I totally don't see the utility of that. At all. Completely ridiculous!

You do realize that the PS3 can't do any of those things, right?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

gibbed posted:

Heh, apparently Sony's third-party USB blacklist in 3.50 is hitting more than what it should.

Really? I just read that it's causing bootlegged controllers to *possibly* stop working.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I got a 3D TV today, it's cool. Super Stardust looks great, wipeout HD not so much. Tumble is cool because Move and 3D work together well. This is virtual reality.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I'll just get every 3D game, probably. It's a 46" Samsung Series 7. I got 1 set of rechargable glasses for $150AUD because there's none included with the TV but if you send off the reciept they mail out two sets of non-rechargable ones and a 3D blu-ray player and a copy of Monsters VS Aliens on Blu-Ray 3D Disc.

I'll send off the redemption thingie tomorrow if I get a chance.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Ghost Cockfighter posted:

Having trouble finding a definitive answer to this so I thought I'd ask in here. I am an expatriate living in a country that doesn't support Playstation's network (Mainland China). I heard somewhere that you can still use the network if you register an outside address, in my case that would be Australia. The console however will likely be from Hong Kong, Korea or Japan, as these are what commonly get into China. Legitimate copies of games are available for sale and I'm aware the games aren't region locked. Are there any issues with all network conflicts and console origin however?

I want to be able to play games with my friends back home, and I'd also like to be able to buy content but I've heard that the virtual currency is locked to only what you can buy in your region. Does this mean I have to get credits from where I register (Australia) or where the console is from (Hong Kong)? Can I just pay with a credit card or online banking or something?

If you set up an Aussie PSN account, you'll be able to play any Blu-Ray disk games, but if you want to buy DLC (free DLC doesn't apply) from the store for your disk games, you'll need the aussie disks to go along with your aussie store account. You'll need an Australian billing address on your Visa to make purchases, or you can buy aussie PSN vouchers from me using PayPal if you like.

edit: Your console's origins have no effect on anything, the games/store account are all that really matters.

edit 2: I just bought that 3D Rift game. I thought it was a free patch for motorstorm but apparently it's a stand alone game? i'll go check it out now I guess.

Mug fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 24, 2010

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
If you have a reliable source of games that you know will also be the same region, and a source of PSN vouchers from that same region, just make a PSN store account for that region. You don't need a valid address, just do like 123 Fake St, Henryville or something. You only need a valid address if you are using a Visa, which you don't need if you can buy PSN vouchers to use instead.

edit: 3D Rift has no loving trophies, gently caress that poo poo.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

davebo posted:

Edit: these don't look very friendly to people who already wear glasses. Any thoughts on this?

They work fine if you already wear glasses, they just go over the top. My wife wears glasses.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I find like 10% of people I've talked to who've tried 3D at a store say "Oh it doesnt work for me because I'm a delicate flower who is special and those gimmicks are too silly for my super smart brain" or something to that effect. If you can see 3D in real life, you should be able to see 3D with shutter glasses, as it works the same, just at a way lower framerate than real life.

Also, I tried it in a store before buying it, and if I hadn't seen it before outside of a store, I would have thought it was loving terrible. They store had fluorescent lighting which flickers HORRIBLY when wearing shutter glasses, so it made the whole experience awful. If you use it at home with normal light bulbs (or ideally in the dark) it's great.

Like I said, Samsung give you two sets of glasses free with a TV, but you have to send away for them, along with a free bluray player. Sony don't, you have to buy the glasses, and you also have to buy a "sensor bar" for them to synchronise with, which is >$200. Don't buy Sony 3D.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

The more I hear about the 3D features for the PS3 and the TVs that support them, the less inclined I am to jump on the bandwagon at the current prices. It doesn't help that every time I hear "shutter glasses" I'm thinking of my Sega Master System. Zaxxon 3D :hellyeah:

How did the Sega glasses work anyway? Did they literally open and shut or something? The modern ones aren't literally "shutters" if you didn't know, they just have a layer of LCD on each lens that darkens and lightens really fast.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Connellingus posted:

If you have a 3D TV I would also check out the demo for Motorstorm: Pacific Rift. There's a first person view option and it looks darn cool in 3D...

Its a $20 demo and it has no trophies. It's okay.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Uh, seems the obvious thing to do would be to call Sony and ask for help, have you tried that? They're a pretty helpful bunch over the phone (in Australia, anyway)

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Nux posted:

I seem to remember people having no problem getting everything deactivated, the only problem is you can only do that once, and after that Sony will never do it for you again.

They do it whenever you call as often as you like. i do it every time I call for any reason because I've gone through about 7 consoles through trade-ins and break-downs. I think I've gotten them to reset my activations about 4 times now.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Wikipedia says Black Ops is gonna be in 3D, but I haven't really seen it confirmed anywhere. I preordered it pretty much based on the hopts of a decent retail-grade 3D game. Are there any other good 3D games out before christmas other than Gran Turismo 5?

..GT5 is going to be in 3D, right?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Call of Duty: Black Ops is definitely the game to show off your new 3D TV. Beats the effect of anything else I've got by a pretty big margin.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

beedeebee posted:

My slim PS3 is acting weird and I don't like it!
The last couple of days, it sometimes randomly shuts down, and then there's nothing. No lights on the console, nothing. It won't turn on. It isn't until I unplug the power cord and plug it back in that I can start it up again. What the gently caress?
I first thought heat might have something to do with it, since it shut down the first time after some hours of MW2 and it wasn't in a super ventilated place. But I replaced it, tried again today and it shut down again after I got done playing MW2 and started browsing the PS store.
I also noticed it was pretty loud, but perhaps I only noticed that because it was closer to me than normal. Anyone got any idea what's wrong? It's 1 year and 1 month old, so my warranty is over :smithicide:

Mine did this too within the first year, it sent it back and they sent me a new one.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Peacec posted:

Need some help. Just got a PS3 160 tonight (yay!) but I'm already running into problems. I went to play God of War 3 and it is having all sorts of loading issues. The game starts and gets to the initial loading screen then I could hear the intro sound but no video. Tried it again and I got to the main menu and when I went to new game in started but Kratos' voice was off then it was another blank screen. Are there any fixes or issues with this game or do I have a faulty PS3? Any help would be great.

Just take it back where you got it. There's no way an okay PS3 would do that. It's not a known issue or anything.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Node posted:

I'm considering getting a triple with my leftover holiday funds. Do the 'newer' models (pretty much all of them) that don't have backwards compatibility have features that I would want, that the older BC models didn't? I'm especially curious if one of the models is quieter than the other. Thanks.

The new ones are quieter and run cooler.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Scyron posted:

Call them and they will deactivate all the ps3's, the only problem is that you only can do this once, ever. They have been straight forward with me about it, whenever I have asked about it.

They can do it as many times as they want, I've done it about 4 times.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

Well, the PS2 compatibility happened because they put the actual PS2 hardware inside of the PS3. So, I would think the only they would be able to have PS3 compatibility in the PS4 is if they include the actual PS3 hardware, which I seriously doubt will happen.

Yeah, hasn't Cell Architecture development been dropped by one of the key parties or something? I remember originally Sony planned to use the Cell Architecture in the next console just with much more power, but I think Toshiba dropped support or some poo poo.

I dunno.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

Nope, Toshiba dropped out but IBM has kept advancing the Cell hardware.

Ah so I was right about Toshiba dropping, just good that IBM is still working with it I guess.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

No, it's pretty well documented.

Launch consoles had both the PS2 CPU and GPU.

The second group had just the GPU, the CPU was emulated.

Yeah. In PAL territory we never got the ones with the EE in them. Everyone was raging that in Australia we weren't getting "true backwards compatibility". Then they just removed the whole thing and we're happy to have what we got.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Insane Totoro posted:

I was playing some Assassin's Creed today and suddenly my PS3 decided to turn off of it's own accord. When it suddenly turned off everything went dark and then the red light on the front started flashing.

When I go to turn it on again it spins up, a green light turns on... then a yellow light blinks once and it goes to red again.

Please tell me this isn't a Yellow Light of Death. This is a launch day 60 GB fat PS3 with one of my 500 GB 2.5" drives.

Is there a possible fix for this?

This is probably the least of my concerns but Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is stuck inside too.

Edit: Yup, guess this is the Yellow Light of Death. If I send this thing in will I get my stuck game back? I can obviously take the hard drive out... though is there any way to back that up without having to reformat first?

Sykic has been fixing YLODs lately a lot. He's been buying YLOD systems, fixing, and reselling them. Ask him for help. He's in the IRC chatroom a lot. His PSN id is Cikys.

If you send it to sony, they'll send your game back. My 60gb YLODed and I just paid them the fee to get it refurbished. You lose everything on the hard drive if you send it to them. If you can get the YLOD fixed without replacing parts, you wont lose any data.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Insane Totoro posted:

Hmm, I don't mind paying the refurbishment fee since I am absolutely the worst when it comes to repairing things.

I'm mainly worried about losing all my save data...

You will lose all your save data if you send your console to sony, even if you keep the HDD. The HDD won't work in the refurbished system they send back. If you want to keep the saves, talk to someone about repairing it yourself, or mail the system to someone who can repair it and send the same system back to you.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I enjoy games more when there's trophies, and I try to get the trophies and it's fun when I do it. I have lots of them. When I get one it even goes on my facebook page.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
It would be so great if they just said "Trophy reset coming 14/02/2011" with NO explanation and no follow-up information.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Most of the people I care out regarding trophies are my IRL friends and we use the facebook PSN app to check them, it's way better than using the PS3.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Locked saves have nothing to do with trophies. When a save is created, it remembers what the profile name on the console was called, and if that profile has a PSN account attached, it records that to.

If the save isn't locked, and you copy it to another console or just use it on a different profile/PSN account, whenever you should get a trophy, it says "You did not earn a trophy" in the corner of the screen.

Locked or unlocked, sharing saves doesn't share trophies.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

henpod posted:

I am new to the PS3 world, and as such made the silly mistake of buying the 160GB model. I heard that it's fairly easy to replace the HD with another one so I want to see if I can stick a 500GB/1TB drive in there. Would this be possible? Would the Playsation automatically re-load the OS and all that stuff?

And finally, for those of you have done this, which drives would you guys recommend and are there any dangers or is this quite idiot-proof.

I just stick Seagate 2.5" SATA II drives in mine. Speed doesn't matter at all. On some PS3s, you have to have the OS on a memory stick to install it when you put a new drive in. It might be the way on all PS3s, but I can only confirm it for the fat models.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

henpod posted:

Is there a way to make subfolders?

I have sorted things by album name, and have one folder for movies, and one for tv. However, within these folders, there is just a big list, I want to sort them into respective folders/shows. From what google says, I cant do this. For a 'media center' this is a little bit of an oversight isnt it?

Can't do it. Most people store their media on a PC in folders and stream it with a media sharing thingie where it retains the folder structure. Well, that's what I do.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

tendrilsfor20 posted:

So I finally finished the quadrafecta and have a 360, Wii, competently-powered PC and (just now) a PS3. I went to set it up (bought it second-hand, so no instructions, but I got an older model that is BC for both PS1 and PS2, which is very important to me), but when I went to take it online it said "no ethernet cable detected"; what?? I thought *all* PS3's had onboard 802.11 cards? Is there some setting I'm missing? I read the OP, but the drop-down menu isn't second nature to navigate yet, so if someone could post step-by-step how to get my PS3 to see my home's wireless, I'd appreciate it.

There's an option, "View Online Owner's Manual" but it requires an internet connection. :hurr:

The 20gb doesn't have Wifi.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

spasticColon posted:

I'm referring to a 7200RPM HDD or does the PS3 not support 7200RPM 2.5" drives?

As for ventilation I have adequate space around it but there is a layer of dust on top (the side actually since its on a vertical stand) so can I hit it with compressed air without having to take it apart?

It supports them no problem. There's no downside to using them, and very rarely you might see a slight improvement in one or two games.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Puddin posted:

Not true. If he puts the old hard drive in he will have to format it and it will be as if its a brand new ps3, nothing will be on there.

No, you can just put your old hard drive back in if your restore fails. I've had to do it. I backed up my 60gb drive to a USB drive, put a 250gb drive in, formatted the 250gb drive so the PS3 accepted that that was it's new drive. Then I started the restore utility and the backup was corrupt.

I just put the 60gb back in and backed it up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I loving hate it when I download some movie or something and it's in MKV. I have no idea what MKV is, all I know is it doesn't work on my PS3 and I have to use a transcoder. When did this container show up? Everything used to just be DivX and everyone was happy.

• Locked thread