Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fuzz posted:

What's with all these people selling their PS3s? :smith:

I sold mine about a year ago, but I'm thinking of picking a Slim up one of these days because I never got the chance to play God Of War 3 and Uncharted 2, which both look absolutely incredible. I also want to replay Metal Gear Solid 4, because despite playing through it around 10 times, it's still my favorite game of all time and the only reason I got a PS3 in the first place (I had the MGS4 bundle system).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Somehow I just discovered PS3 Media Server yesterday. This thing is loving incredible. I watched an entire 13GB MKV movie through it yesterday with no loss of quality, and I got to surf the net on my computer while doing so! This is like one of those things I'd always hoped for but never knew it actually existed. loving magic. I love it.

Also, I'm playing through the first Uncharted now, and my PS3 has been making a weird disc read noise that it doesn't make for any other game. It's a brand new 160GB Slim Black Friday model. Any idea why that'd be happening? The game doesn't stutter at all while doing it.

I thought it might have been my copy of the game, but I mean I just bought the double-pack a few days ago brand new. Not like it's a used copy that may have been scratched previously or anything.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just finished the first Uncharted, and it was great, but it takes a while to really get going. I rented it from GameFly back in like 2008 and got a few levels into it before returning it. Couldn't get into it at all. But this time, I played past those few levels and started getting really into it.

I've heard 2 and 3 are even better, so I'm anxious to play those now.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is also amazing, but much more so if you've played the first 3. If you're going into it having never played an MGS game before, you'll probably be lost a good bit of the time, but you may still enjoy it.

It's my favorite game of all time, but I'm a huge MGS fan.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Would this be where we ask questions about PS3 Media Server? Or is there a different thread for that? I didn't see one in the OP.

I used to be able to stream movies over my PS3 with PSM with all the settings on and transcoding turned up as high as it would go just fine. I haven't changed any hardware inside my computer, but recently, movies are now stuttering and sometimes skipping ahead for me. I'm wondering if it was maybe the system update that brought this on?

I lowered the transcoding settings a bit and turned off some of the options and my movies play fine but don't look as clear as they did before. There doesn't seem like any reason why I shouldn't be able to play movies at the highest possible settings, since I have a beefy PC and I could do it before with no problems.

So does anyone know what the deal is?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

-Fish- posted:

Is there any way to distinguish an original backwards-compatible PS3 from a non? I'm looking to buy a used one off ebay with my next paycheck. My PS2 finally bit the big one and I need a Blu Ray player, so I figured I'd take out two birds with one stone.

I think the 20 gig, 60 gig, and 80 gig Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle were all backwards compatible. All other models are not.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Roman posted:

Seems there's a new model on the way. Price cut *speculated.*
http://www.screenrave.com/index.php...ames&Itemid=272

I'm a few eBay sales away from buying a PS3, but I might wait a little longer with Gamescom coming up.

Are they going the DS route with this and releasing multiple models? There's already a slim version, and in the case of the PSX and PS2, that was it, right?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That looks pretty small, but smaller than my Slim? Enough to make a difference?

Looks like the top-loading Blu-Ray drive is all that's really different. And I love the slot loading Blu-Ray drive my Slim has now, so the only reason to buy one would be if it's the size of a DVD case like the slim PS2 was.

Holding my old slim PS2 was crazy. It felt like I was holding a paperback book or something. Not a game console that wasn't a handheld.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Feenix posted:

Is MonoPrice still *the* place to get HDMI?

If you want a long, quality HDMI cable manufactured to the latest standards for under $10, then yes.

So yeah.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:rolleyes:

Corrugated top, top-loading disc system and louder than previous Slims for about the same MSRP as the previous Slims?

The previous Slims were fine. Why did Sony think this was a good idea?

Oh, right: more money.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bush-Glycerine.mp3 posted:

Lol and I was holding out on buying the last slim in case this one was cooler. It isnt . LOL.

The current slims are probably still being sold since the new ones haven't released yet, I would imagine. So jump on that soon before they're gone!

edit: Yep, they're definitely still available on Amazon at least: http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-160GB-System/dp/B003VUO6H4/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1348443698&sr=1-1

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Code Jockey posted:

You're kidding me.

What year is it, again?

Oh wait, money.

No HDMI cable either. loving composite :laffo:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

cyberia posted:

After reading the complaints about the new slim PS3 over the last few pages is it really going to be that terrible? I just want something that will reliably play games :ohdear:

It may very well do that for you, but it'll look cheap and sound louder while doing so. If you don't care much about aesthetics and noise, then it'll probably be fine for you.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yechezkel posted:

Did any store get the new model PS3 today?

Also, look what came out today as well. :pcgaming:

They're really going all out with the terrible design, huh? :ughh:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cyra posted:

So if I were to go to one of these midnight releases for Assassin's Creed, do you think I'd be able to pick up the bundle with the new PS3 model? I'm in the market to replace my broken 60gig (rip backwards compatibility) and I'd like to take care of it tonight if possible.

I would assume so. I don't know for sure, but when I went to the Metal Gear Solid 4 midnight launch at Best Buy a few years ago, I picked up the MGS4 PS3 bundle at that time. Waited in line beforehand with everyone else, I just had to take a different ticket that the employees were handing out which let them know I was getting the bundle and not just the game.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nintendo Revolution-ary! :smug:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

NESguerilla posted:

Is Bioshock 2 worth playing even if I never finished Bioshock 1 and was pretty luke warm on it?

Edit: whoops was trying to post this in the games thread

No.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

No optical drive and high-capacity USB3.0 flash drives (like 64GB or so) would have been pretty interesting. Would that be fast enough to support games streaming right from the drive with no installs or anything?

It'd be great if next-gen consoles had some sort of hybrid SSD/HDD setup, like a 32GB SSD for the OS to make it boot up near-instantaneously and a 120GB hard drive for storing DLC and downloaded movies and stuff. But that would probably drive the cost up too high, huh? :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Goddamnit, not a loving touchpad controller :negative:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The article said the touchpad would occupy the space where the Select/PS/Start buttons are on the current DualShock, so does that mean you'll just be able to touch for Select/PS/Start instead of pressing physical buttons? Or will it let you control the whole XMB?

Either way, it sounds like a pretty dumb idea to me. Leave that for the WiiU to do.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Spalec posted:

I have a feeling a touchscreen will be used like the SIXAXIS stuff is. Early games will crowbar in functionality for it and after a year or two it'll be mostly optional with a few devs coming up with a few clever uses for it.

I completely forgot about SIXAXIS :haw: I think the only games I ever played that really had it implemented well was the Killzone series.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Here's today's "Evolution of PlayStation" video, which covers the PS2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvcps5dFzfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Has just popped up.

:stare:

Well helloooo! I don't really care for that "PS4" display part, but aside from that, everything else is beautiful. USB3.0 ports :fap:

• Locked thread