Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

As poo poo as "Life's Too Short" is, its shown alongside the new series of Rev which is as awesome as ever and deserves more attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

Mr. Squishy posted:

At first I was unconvinced, but then somebody laughed for five straight minutes at her own joke. Give this show a BAFTA.

I caught this too, thought it was great. Was flicking through the iPlayer and thought "Why not?" best decision I made that night!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah, Lifes Too Short is pretty much a flop. It feels more and more like it was thrown together to dodge some sort of hidden government TV tax on Gervais, Merchant and Warrick.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

That wolf/bison fight on Frozen Planet was amazing and I'm loving the 'making of' pieces at the end of each episode. Got to admire that camera man not legging it when twenty tons of bison were charging at him. Though even that paled in comparison to the guys on the little boat filming a pod of killer whales heading right at them as if they were delicious seals.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
What the gently caress are those freaky blue things on the new Argos commercials?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Gram-O-Phone posted:

What the gently caress are those freaky blue things on the new Argos commercials?

They're aliens bemused by our earthling winter shopping habits. To be fair, aliens have about as much relevance to the original point of Christmas as most of the iconography now associated with it.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Lionel RichTea posted:

I think it's pretty bad to be honest. I've got the same problem with it that I've got with the US version of The Office - it's supposed to be a fake/parody documentary style, but all pretence is lost straight away because the scenarios are so outrageous. It's like they've thrown together The Office and Extras (with Davis straight up playing David Brent), and watched a lot of Curb Your Enthusiasm at the same time, and disregarded that they're different types of comedy, and what made The Office work is different to what makes something like Curb Your Enthusiasm work. Also, let's be honest, it seems like a lot of it is lifted straight out of Extras and The Office.
What I found unintentionally amusing about this weeks episode was how Warwick told the BBC guy that the chairman was afraid of cameras, BBC guy says "there's only one camera".

Cut to news report showing the feature and it's shown as shot-reverse-shot. Thought there was only one camera?

It's a very minor point in the grand scheme of things but it's pretty shoddy. LTS is easily Gervais/Merchant's laziest and uninspiring piece of work to date.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

ChuckDHead posted:

They're aliens bemused by our earthling winter shopping habits. To be fair, aliens have about as much relevance to the original point of Christmas as most of the iconography now associated with it.

My sister is convinced they are sperm, somehow grown to human size. Again, it makes about as much sense as anything else.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

That was a particulary depressing episode of Eastenders.

ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011
Yeah. They should have mixed it up with scenes of Derek doing Knees Up Mother Brown with Dot in the living room.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

workinonit posted:

I think tired is the best word for it yeah. It just gets boring real quick when the punchline of a scene is inevitably gonna be "hurr hurr he's disabled, geddit? ooooh isn't that awkward?"

Even the cameos get tired really quick, when all the guest starts essentially play the same character of "Fame's gone to my head. I have no self awareness."

Liam Neeson was good, and I guess Shaun Williamson's minor cameo was decent too. Johnny and Helena were pretty wasted though.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

That was a particulary depressing episode of Eastenders.

I'm sure they can come up with something more depressing soon enough. After all, Christmas is just around the corner.

That's usually where they really go mad with depressing plots like homeless teenagers abandoning newly-born babies, death, mental breakdowns, suicide threats, divorce, breakups, domestic abuse, cliff-pushings (well, that was New Year, but close enough), people dying alone in the snow without being able to make amends with estranged family and friends, and hitmen. Merry Christmas, everyone!

Mr Toes
Jan 2, 2008
Digitally Challenged
Paul Merton looked like he was about to top himself on HIGNFY tonight. Surely that can't have been the first time he's encountered the Internet's ability to turn anything into a meme?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

ChuckDHead posted:

I'm sure they can come up with something more depressing soon enough. After all, Christmas is just around the corner.

That's usually where they really go mad with depressing plots like homeless teenagers abandoning newly-born babies, death, mental breakdowns, suicide threats, divorce, breakups, domestic abuse, cliff-pushings (well, that was New Year, but close enough), people dying alone in the snow without being able to make amends with estranged family and friends, and hitmen. Merry Christmas, everyone!

You forgot Little Mo braining her husband with an iron. That was the very first time my posh relatives had ever seen Eastenders. They still talk about it to this day!

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Irisi posted:

My sister is convinced they are sperm, somehow grown to human size. Again, it makes about as much sense as anything else.

But they're blue! :stare:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Gram-O-Phone posted:

But they're blue! :stare:

What, aren't yours? :smug:

Goons watching Eastenders, you have lost all credibility to me. :colbert:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They're doing it ironically, for us. So we can all giggle when thye talk about Phil on a crack binge.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2011/nov/26/frankie-boyle-interview

quote:

Do you like anything, comedy-wise at the moment? Stewart Lee, perhaps?

It seems to me [he's] irrelevant and flabby. OK, you don't like Russell Howard; that's fine. But don't put on your posters "a new kind of political comedy". Yeah, without any politics. Crisps? What the gently caress is that about? People internalise marketing. You sell yourself and people sell stuff to you. He ends up going, "Michael McIntyre, Russell Howard, not like me." What the gently caress is that? Sick of that old washing powder?

Well I guess we can't all make Tramadol Nights

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Ahahaha, oh that is just absolutely perfect. Delightful.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So Howard, you want to tell us that joke about the pedophile priests again? the one I swear you roll out every time I see you?

I wish Billy Connolly would head butt some sense into that twat. Or any Scottish comedian that is actually funny or not a egotistical prick.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
The youthful anger of Frankie Boyle.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

That interview is so bizarre. I'm not sure if he was drunk or high when it took place because so very little of it makes sense.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

SeanBeansShako posted:

So Howard, you want to tell us that joke about the pedophile priests again? the one I swear you roll out every time I see you?

I wish Billy Connolly would head butt some sense into that twat. Or any Scottish comedian that is actually funny or not a egotistical prick.

Jerry Sadowitz perhaps?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Gorn Myson posted:

That interview is so bizarre. I'm not sure if he was drunk or high when it took place because so very little of it makes sense.

Isn't he an alcoholic?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

He used to be, he doesn't drink anymore. He has strong opinions about alcohol when it suits him. There was that thing a while back where Mark Watson made a post on his blog mentioning Boyle arguing with the mother of a child with Down's Syndrome, Boyle saw it months later and replied with something about Watson being a sellout, and selling alcohol to teenagers in a "country of alcoholics". That's Frankie Boyle, star of Tramadol Nights sponsored by Fosters, author of a column in The Sun.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
He's fallen so far since he was the funny one on Mock the Week. Tramadol Nights was such a lazy mess, almost all the stand up came from his DVD that he was trying to sell at the time, he was actually reusing material from Mock the Week and the sketches were so terrible that I started to suspect he had made something deliberately bad for some reason. But no, he's actually really happy with how it turned out.

I seen him live years ago, pre-Mock the Week and his material was nothing like what it has turned in to. Then I seen him in 2006 and most of his whole act was just his Mock the Week material, and the rest presumably the stuff that didn't make the cut on Mock the Week. But even then, I think the darkest he got was maybe a joke about Princess Di.

Then a lot of my mates went to see him on his "final" tour and none of them were particularly impressed, they seemed more enthusiastic about the support than they did about Boyle.

It's frustrating because he's obviously genuinely talented and very witty, but he's not this incisive political comedian he perceives himself as. On the contrary it seems the environment he shines in the most in recent years has been as the loving guest host of NMTB. And if 'lol the army just bomb niggers' is the extent of his political comment (and it was about the extent of it in his last DVD), then that puts him on the same level as, I dunno, Jeremy from Peep Show.

I'd love for him to get his poo poo together and make a really great final show that is genuinely political and thoughtful, but I'm no longer convinced he's capable. Better just to poo poo out a book every Christmas I guess.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 26, 2011

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Black Mirror starts on the 4th!!!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Leyburn posted:

He's fallen so far since he was the funny one on Mock the Week

Not really sure this is the pedestal you're making it out to be.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Is nobody watching I'm A Celebrity this year? There doesn't seem to be a thread that I've missed.

I'm finding myself kind of shocked at how much of a horrible oval office Pat Sharpe is. Who knew?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Taear posted:

I'm finding myself kind of shocked at how much of a horrible oval office Pat Sharpe is. Who knew?

I guess there isn't any Fun in his House :(

ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011

Taear posted:

Is nobody watching I'm A Celebrity this year? There doesn't seem to be a thread that I've missed.

He had a wicked cool mullet and two spunky blonde sisters, take that away and anyone would be miserable.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A5H posted:

Isn't he an alcoholic?

He was and dropped out of university because of it, but he's meant to be teetotal now.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Leyburn posted:

the funny one on Mock the Week.

Dara Ó Briain, surely?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Durzel posted:

What I found unintentionally amusing about this weeks episode was how Warwick told the BBC guy that the chairman was afraid of cameras, BBC guy says "there's only one camera".

Cut to news report showing the feature and it's shown as shot-reverse-shot. Thought there was only one camera?

"He might freeze in front of the cameras"
"Its only one camera"

Key word being in front, he was behind the other camera?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Taear posted:

Had things gone differently, you wouldn't have even noticed that he was a dick since he'd have been completely overshadowed by the Daily Mail's truly horrible Liz Jones, who was meant to be in it this year, but pulled out.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

ChuckDHead posted:

Had things gone differently, you wouldn't have even noticed that he was a dick since he'd have been completely overshadowed by the Daily Mail's truly horrible Liz Jones, who was meant to be in it this year, but pulled out.

Roughing it: Liz knows all about camping after her weekend at the Glastonbury Music Festival

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Wait a minute. She didn't actually pull out because she didn't actually get it. She jumps from "I was in the last three for one spot" to "Well actually I knew I couldn't do it anyway." Doesn't sound like she was offered it. The article was weird. It's all "yeah man this is ace I am sooo witty it's a shoe-in" until right at the end where she quickly turns around to "wait no couldn't harm insects for any money, you lesser beings."

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

Roughing it: Liz knows all about camping after her weekend at the Glastonbury Music Festival

To be fair, Liz is a very quick learner. She also completely understood homelessness after she maxed out her credit card and couldn't get into a hotel room until her publicist showed up.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
You guys might be interested in a work by acclaimed filmmaker Ken Korda, who filmed a TV special on Pat Sharp. I am happy to be able to present it to you because a patron of the arts has uploaded it to youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cd2TLIbhMg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

ChuckDHead posted:

To be fair, Liz is a very quick learner. She also completely understood homelessness after she maxed out her credit card and couldn't get into a hotel room until her publicist showed up.

jesus christ :stare: