Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Red7 posted:

You would have thought they would have smashed out a special considering whats going on. Ian Hislop must be bouncing off the walls somewhere.

The new issue Private Eye can't come soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red7
Sep 10, 2008
I imagine the smug factor will be off the carts!

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

J33uk posted:

If you want to realize that the entire education system in the UK is utterly hosed, feel free to check out "Classroom Secrets" that aired on BBC on Thursday. Apparently if you're a 9 year old in school you can now get taken out of class for a little private breakfast if you say you're hungry.

What's the show like - is there much analysis as to why what's happening in the schools is happening? From your mention of breakfasts, I'm guessing that it has a bit of a nanny state / 'elf and safety gone mad slant, is that right? My partner and I saw the trailer for it but decided against watching the show because she's a primary school teacher and there's probably a million ways it could end up making her blood boil.

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007

Firing Cirrus posted:

What's the show like - is there much analysis as to why what's happening in the schools is happening? From your mention of breakfasts, I'm guessing that it has a bit of a nanny state / 'elf and safety gone mad slant, is that right? My partner and I saw the trailer for it but decided against watching the show because she's a primary school teacher and there's probably a million ways it could end up making her blood boil.
I thought it was actually pretty sympathetic towards teachers and well worth watching. It pointed out the challenges of behaviour management and made incredibly clear the need for greater cooperation from home (even if it just means sending a child to school well rested and well fed). It was pretty clear that the child in J33uk's post had a bunch of other problems going on too.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Jawidar posted:

I thought it was actually pretty sympathetic towards teachers and well worth watching. It pointed out the challenges of behaviour management and made incredibly clear the need for greater cooperation from home (even if it just means sending a child to school well rested and well fed). It was pretty clear that the child in J33uk's post had a bunch of other problems going on too.

Cheers, we'll have a watch then as that's allayed most concerns.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Firing Cirrus posted:

It's actually pretty reasonable and fair, the teachers come out in a good light with the exception of one incident involving the apparently the great idea of putting a disruptive student next to successful one. Guess how well that worked. I suppose the biggest shock was seeing how much had changed since my days in school only 15 years ago.

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock
Penn & Teller's Fool Us was pretty good this week, a good mix of excellent illusions, even those that didn't fool were very enjoyable viewing. No clue how the trick with the Frenchmen's box worked and I normally have at least a rudimentary idea on how most tricks could be done.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've started watching Luther, and while the acting is generally very good, there are more plotholes than Edward J. Olmos' face.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
I just want to know where he got the key for that bike lock in episode 2 (series 1), I'm pretty sure it came out of nowhere. The other general plothole-y thing is that Luther often jsut suddenly decides he knows that so-and-so is the killer without any real evidence or reason to to lead him to that person.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Looking forward to The Hour.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Red7 posted:

You would have thought they would have smashed out a special considering whats going on. Ian Hislop must be bouncing off the walls somewhere.

Z-Magic posted:

The new issue Private Eye can't come soon enough.

The last Private Eye appeared on my doormat a day after this all broke and therefore had absolutely nothing about it.

I cannot wait for Wednesday.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Wafflecop posted:

The other general plothole-y thing is that Luther often jsut suddenly decides he knows that so-and-so is the killer without any real evidence or reason to to lead him to that person.

Just like a real copper then.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Trin Tragula posted:

The last Private Eye appeared on my doormat a day after this all broke and therefore had absolutely nothing about it.

I cannot wait for Wednesday.

Indeed, it remarked on the immutable law of the media "what Rupert wants, Rupert gets".
Next Eye will just be one giant Eye Told You So. It will be embarrassingly smug.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I've started watching Luther, and while the acting is generally very good, there are more plotholes than Edward J. Olmos' face.

I watched both series recently and that was my opinion of it. The atmosphere, some fine performances, and a psychotic redhead femme fatale all made it worth watching. I'm not the kind of person who normally picks up on plot holes until long after the event but I noticed them constantly while watching the show. That, combined with conveniences like Alice's "...and with a single bound she was free!" escape from a secure facility spoiled it a bit for me.

But only a little bit.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, overall it is great, but I think it's the gritty police drama realism not gelling very well with the almost comic book aspects that is so jarring.

Or I'm being overly generous to some very lazy script editing.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, overall it is great, but I think it's the gritty police drama realism not gelling very well with the almost comic book aspects that is so jarring.

Or I'm being overly generous to some very lazy script editing.

Overall i'd say it was good, but that's only compared to the rest of the stuff that's shovelled out. Like you said, it's got some good performances, and a few interesting cases for criminals, but overall it's a senseless mess. I mean, the concept of a psychological foil for Luther is all well and good, but she's a sociopathic brutal murderer who stalked Luther and threatened to kill his (ex)wife and he breaks her out of the mental prison she ends up in for murdering that other (dirty)copper.

It didn't help that The Shadow Line came out in between series 1 and 2 and raised the bar for urban police crime drama.

On another note, this is the first time i've watched an episode of Miranda. How the gently caress did she win an award for this shite. Was it the hamfisted breaking the 4th wall she always does? :psyduck:

Kin fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 17, 2011

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

J33uk posted:

It's actually pretty reasonable and fair, the teachers come out in a good light with the exception of one incident involving the apparently the great idea of putting a disruptive student next to successful one. Guess how well that worked. I suppose the biggest shock was seeing how much had changed since my days in school only 15 years ago.

It was like that at my primary 17 years ago. Year after year they'd sit me next to some disruptive oval office.

FractionMan posted:

Penn & Teller's Fool Us was pretty good this week, a good mix of excellent illusions, even those that didn't fool were very enjoyable viewing. No clue how the trick with the Frenchmen's box worked and I normally have at least a rudimentary idea on how most tricks could be done.

There's a few things to look out for in a magic trick. There's a reason everything is on the stage. Some are just for misdirection, the rest are important components, and will often be shown to be mere props. They played around the the lampost for a bit, so you accept it has a reason for being there.

I had two ideas:

1. She wrapped her legs around the lamp post like a stripper/gymnast, and then moved her torso around.

2. She had a mini-harness on, and hooked herself to the lamppost as and when she needed to.

They showed that pressing the sides of the box would make it stretch like a trampoline, which means there was probably a platform inside to stand on, placed on a thick metal frame.

It can't really be anything else.

Those other guys, they must've lied about switching the deck. I thought they were using body language to convey the correct answer, but Penn caught them switching, even though they denied it. Ross had to pull the cards out one at a time from the top, rather than randomly. Swiping half the cards towards the end is a contrived measure to convince the audience that there can't be a set order, because he took an untold amount of cards away, although if that were the case, they would've had Ross shuffle the deck after every turn, or pull cards out randomly.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Padje posted:

Those other guys, they must've lied about switching the deck.
I'm not so sure. Penn said afterwards that if they hadn't switched the deck he had a pretty good idea how they did it, but Woss told him it was too late.

I think they did lie, but only about not making the obvious fake switch to throw P&T off the scent.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!

Semprini posted:

I'm not so sure. Penn said afterwards that if they hadn't switched the deck he had a pretty good idea how they did it, but Woss told him it was too late.

I think they did lie, but only about not making the obvious fake switch to throw P&T off the scent.

I think they still have that "adjudicator magician" watching for disagreements, who I'm sure would have stepped in if it was a complete lie.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I was surprised to see a Mock the Week special pop up on iPlayer and, though it's usually crap, I was quite excited to see what they'd done with the News of the World palaver.

"Hello and welcome to a special edition of Mock the Week where we show highlights from throughout the season"

:supaburn:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
The lass in Sirens is properly fit.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Semprini posted:

Having watched it again on ITV Player it does look like the deck could have been switched but I'd guess that was misdirection for P&T to pick up on rather than the actual basis of the trick (instead probably a combination of words and body language - watch how the smaller guy is looking at the cards when Ross turns them over). Throwing away most of the deck just cuts down on the number of signs to give and therefore the opportunity for them to be seen.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I think that they added some extra cards, not switched the deck. I suspect the reason they revealed the top cards one at a time was because after a general shuffle many of the cards will still be in the same order, so after they reveal card x, then card y and then card z have a good chance of following, so the one with Ross just has to give a signal for card x, and if he makes no other signalling moves then the other guy knows that y and z follow. That's my theory!

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Anybody want to guess how/if the current Murdoch and News International kafuffle will affect the beeb? I'm hoping that we will finally get bbc archives but, we'll see. And they'll probably only go back to 2002 anyway since they threw away everything to make room for the Top Gear studio.

Also: http://www.chortle.co.uk/features/2011/07/19/13653/stewart_lee%3A_what_i_really_think_about_michael_mcintyre

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

The original article is hilarious.

Also it includes this picture.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Run Dodo Run posted:

The original article is hilarious.

Also it includes this picture.

Why do you look like a 50 year old man Stewart? Why do you like like that? Stop it.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Kin posted:

It didn't help that The Shadow Line came out in between series 1 and 2 and raised the bar for urban police crime drama.

I've been watching a few Cracker episodes recently on ITV2 and I'm struggling to think of a modern police drama that compares to it in quality. The depth of writing and storytelling on Cracker elevates it above every crime drama I've on watched on British television since the '90s.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The Shadow Line was fantastic except for that one bit where the guy on the bike goes down a hill out of view while a car comes the other way, then there's a bang and the car comically comes back into view but the bike doesn't.

It wouldn't have been out of place to have that character twirl a moustache at various points but that was the worst.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Quanta posted:

I've been watching a few Cracker episodes recently on ITV2 and I'm struggling to think of a modern police drama that compares to it in quality. The depth of writing and storytelling on Cracker elevates it above every crime drama I've on watched on British television since the '90s.

This is correct. It's aged suprisingly well as well. You can get the box set pretty cheap these days and it's a good investment.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Did anyone watch The Hour? oh look, it's turned in to yet another British crime drama.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

Did anyone watch The Hour? oh look, it's turned in to yet another British crime drama.

Watching it now. Seeing Jimmy McNulty as a suave, debonair actor with a posh accent is blowing my mind.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Caught some parents being shown 2girls1cup on some sex show and one of the mothers cried and had to leave the room because it was "all so degrading" while her husband said "oh its terrible...yeah" with a look on his face to say "i've seen much worse, this doenst even compare :smug:"

It was all a bit bizarre.

Bishy
May 2, 2003

Come on now Master Eugene

justcola posted:

Anybody want to guess how/if the current Murdoch and News International kafuffle will affect the beeb? I'm hoping that we will finally get bbc archives but, we'll see. And they'll probably only go back to 2002 anyway since they threw away everything to make room for the Top Gear studio.

Also: http://www.chortle.co.uk/features/2011/07/19/13653/stewart_lee%3A_what_i_really_think_about_michael_mcintyre

Good article, and my favourite bit was:

quote:

These days I mainly meet other comics at the 60 or so unpaid charity benefit shows I do every year

Absolutely glorious.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Bugger I forgot.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

LE0N posted:

Caught some parents being shown 2girls1cup on some sex show and one of the mothers cried and had to leave the room because it was "all so degrading" while her husband said "oh its terrible...yeah" with a look on his face to say "i've seen much worse, this doenst even compare :smug:"

It was all a bit bizarre.

This isn't the first time they've done this. Another group of parents left thinking their 14 year old just can't wait to shitfist a random stranger.

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011

Akuma posted:

The Shadow Line was fantastic except for that one bit where the guy on the bike goes down a hill out of view while a car comes the other way, then there's a bang and the car comically comes back into view but the bike doesn't.

It wouldn't have been out of place to have that character twirl a moustache at various points but that was the worst.

Considering the lovely little car that Gatehouse was driving, and the nonchalant metal bat, I think that was meant to sort of silly looking? Shadow Line was far more interested in imagery and fiction and metaphor then anything realistic.

E. I thought not being preoccupied with realism was a good thing by the way, not sure if that came across. Shadow Line was loving perfect.

E2. I've not seen Cracker! The box set is now in an amazon basket.

ScipioAfro fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 20, 2011

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

I quite enjoyed it. Although I think I missed some key points because I kept having to go outside to give in to my nicotine cravings, I can't think think why.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I lost interest in The Shadow Line when the villain took several bullets to the chest, survived, and walked out of hospital a few days later (after foiling an expert assassin). Its best episodes are before Glickman and the psychopathic twink become players in the story, and then it mutates into a bit of a mess.

Those episodes were genuinely absorbing as noir drama before the tone turned silly.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Quanta posted:

I lost interest in The Shadow Line when the villain took several bullets to the chest, survived, and walked out of hospital a few days later (after foiling an expert assassin). Its best episodes are before Glickman and the psychopathic twink become players in the story, and then it mutates into a bit of a mess.

Those episodes were genuinely absorbing as noir drama before the tone turned silly.

This is exactly my opinion as well. I thought it was really, really good until the scene where Glickman accidentally shoots the kid. (I guess we should still spoiler?)

Everything after that felt like a completely different show. I didn't really like the last two episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Reshid in Sirens has gone beyond being the dim and slightly annoying one (half the cast of the office), to full on ignorant prick.
Not as funny, when I'm sitting here wishing he'd get run over by the ambulance moved on after Ash makes a complaint.