Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

The worst thing is that Saville often comes across as a man who has a secret he's desperate to tell you, but enjoys the power of knowing it, if that makes sense. There's a smugness to him.
I wonder in retrospect if he was expecting / hoping to get caught, the old cliche of the aging criminal tired of maintaining a lie.

Knowing what we now know certainly puts the whole thing into an interesting context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunk5
Jun 26, 2010

The Big Taff Man posted:

So thats a big post about Audiobooks?

It would appear so.

And here's me hoping that there was a 3rd series.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Just rewatched Sirens. It was really good and gently caress everyone for not watching it.

All my favourite shows get cancelled :(

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Anyone been watching The Honourable Woman? I loved the Shadow Line (by the same writer/director) so was looking forward to it, and have just realised I completely forgot it was on, and it's now three episodes in.

And iPlayer seems to be hosed for some reason.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Is ep 3 any good? I love Blick but this has been hard going so far.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's a bit boring, and they've ditched the centralized bastardry of uh... Whitehouse(?) in the Shadow Line with the more feasible arrangement of hundreds of agents, which is obviously less exciting. Other than that it seems to be TSL in the sun.
Is Iplayer still hosed? I noticed the radio was broken early yesterday and assumed it'd fix itself.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Has there been any news regarding the iPlayer exclusive Adam Curtis documentary?

Various sites list a July release date but I've heard nothing since.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

tdrules posted:

Has there been any news regarding the iPlayer exclusive Adam Curtis documentary?

Various sites list a July release date but I've heard nothing since.

It was a fantasy.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Did anyone watch Kids With Guns on channel 4 last night? It's like a real brasseye.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

James May has a new TV series :woop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVV_1fMRJiE

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

ineptmule posted:

It was a fantasy.

Any excuse to post this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1bX3F7uTrg

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just finished watching through all the episodes of 8 out of 10 Cats since Jon Richardson joined the show. The episode immediately following Jimmy Carr's tax scandal was pure gold.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

I just finished watching through all the episodes of 8 out of 10 Cats since Jon Richardson joined the show. The episode immediately following Jimmy Carr's tax scandal was pure gold.

Yeah, Richardson is the best team two captain they've had. I assume you've seen them already but if not don't forget to check out 8/10 Cats does Countdown.

Also, taking the opportunity to post my favourite Cats moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV8bVkplHc4

Ron's here.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
I just cannot loving wait for Q.I. to come back in September, it's onto L now. :neckbeard:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Paradox Personified posted:

I just cannot loving wait for Q.I. to come back in September, it's onto L now. :neckbeard:

Oh god next year will be M and we'll be halfway through.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

BSam posted:

Yeah, Richardson is the best team two captain they've had.

I went to see him live based on seeing him on 8 out of 10, and all the things Jimmy Carr makes fun of him for seem to be true. He's really ocd, at the start he put a hat stand at one side of the stage and a table at the other, and said it was so when he got stressed he starts pacing back and forth and if he didnt have things to stop him he'd end up just walking off stage. Then in the middle of his big closing the 1st half story he stopped at a crucial part because he got distracted by the shapes the microphone wire was making on the floor.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Big Taff Man posted:

I went to see him live based on seeing him on 8 out of 10, and all the things Jimmy Carr makes fun of him for seem to be true. He's really ocd, at the start he put a hat stand at one side of the stage and a table at the other, and said it was so when he got stressed he starts pacing back and forth and if he didnt have things to stop him he'd end up just walking off stage. Then in the middle of his big closing the 1st half story he stopped at a crucial part because he got distracted by the shapes the microphone wire was making on the floor.
That's the venue's fault for not providing him with a wireless mic. :colbert:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
He did a very good documentary about OCD.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Paradox Personified posted:

Wait, is each series named after a letter?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, and they try and make all the answers begin with the series letter.
And Rich Hall did another BBC4 America docu, this time about California. It... wasn't that good? In comparison to his Texas and Native American ones.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

Mr. Squishy posted:

And Rich Hall did another BBC4 America docu, this time about California. It... wasn't that good? In comparison to his Texas and Native American ones.

It was OK. Very much overstayed its welcome, though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I enjoyed it, but that said, I'm biased because I love just about everything Rich Hall does.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, I keep forgetting. The Last Leg is back. Dicks, etc.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

They've repeated last year's Olivia Coleman psychological thriller "The Thirteenth Tale." Well it's not really a Coleman show at all, she's limited to the main tale's framing device, showing that they've grasped the clichés of the genre if not quite how to use them. You'd think if they were going to spend money on a feature-length bit of telly they'd wait for a script that doesn't utterly botch a simple ghost story. It's mostly about creepy aristo twins and their utterly dissolute family like a cross between the Radlets in a Mittford novel and the children in Turn of the Screw. It toys with the idea of the uncanny doppelgänger for an hour before resolving it all with a revelation that might be compelling if they'd manage to ratchet any genuine tension but instead seems pat if not silly. What's worse is that the climax comes two thirds through, and so it limps on for 30 minutes more. They also spend ten minutes on an irrelevant side-plot where Olivia Coleman reveals her own sad story, presumably because they realized they'd cast Coleman and it'd be a shame to waste her.
It looked nice though, well acted.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Is anyone watching The Honourable Woman? It's turning out to be a great thriller, but I'm not sure if I like it more than most due to having lived in Israel for a while while growing up.

pat
Sep 20, 2001

Judy can pat the bunny. Now YOU pat the bunny.

Haha, that's awesome!

Felt much the same when I went to the Adam Curtis/Massive Attack thing at the Manchester International Festival last year.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

So I did a search and I found exactly one mention of Utopia. Is anyone else watching it because I think it's the best thing on at the moment.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
There's a separate thread for utopia.

definitely the best thing on TV.

Edit http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646128 there it is

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Utopia is fantastic, I was absolutely blown away by the way they adapted the modern aesthetic to the flashback scenes at the start of series 2.
Not sure how popular it is but hopefully it will be a cult hit once David Fincher gets his grubby mitts on it.

edit: ^^^ ooo nice.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

tdrules posted:

Utopia is fantastic, I was absolutely blown away by the way they adapted the modern aesthetic to the flashback scenes at the start of series 2.
Not sure how popular it is but hopefully it will be a cult hit once David Fincher gets his grubby mitts on it.

edit: ^^^ ooo nice.

If you like Utopia you should probably watch Edge of Darkness, which is getting repeated on BBC4 just now. Powerfully strange 1980s' conspiracy crime/thriller, all mixed up with nuclear paranoia and slightly weird mystic aspects. It's a truly amazing drama.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

stickyfngrdboy posted:

There's a separate thread for utopia.

definitely the best thing on TV.

Edit http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646128 there it is

Ok I missed this. Thank you!

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

tentish klown posted:

Is anyone watching The Honourable Woman? It's turning out to be a great thriller, but I'm not sure if I like it more than most due to having lived in Israel for a while while growing up.

I am really enjoying it, but its very slow and methodical Tinker Tailor-like pacing seems to be putting some off.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Irisi posted:

If you like Utopia you should probably watch Edge of Darkness, which is getting repeated on BBC4 just now. Powerfully strange 1980s' conspiracy crime/thriller, all mixed up with nuclear paranoia and slightly weird mystic aspects. It's a truly amazing drama.

Unfortunately it's not going onto iplayer, so maybe "you should have been watching" is more fitting.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Then again, it's only a fiver on iTunes.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Ricky Gervais: flogging a dead horse since 2001 http://www.totalfilm.com/news/ricky-gervais-to-bring-david-brent-to-the-big-screen

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

drat that man. Didn't they do a special that was this? Which was also poo poo? It seems at this point there is nothing he can do to scare off investors. I'm reporting him to Yewtree and HMRC.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

I think they've pulled down the Wernham Hogg building in Slough now - finally, that thing was a loving eyesore - so if I get at least one scene where reminisces about all the places that have gone, I'll be happy.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Bake Off starts again tonight

In true BBC style it is going to get it's own weekly review show, where they watch it again with Celebs!!! :gonk:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
If I were interested in getting to know Alan Partridge, where and how should I start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

CobiWann posted:

If I were interested in getting to know Alan Partridge, where and how should I start?

Well, Knowing Me Knowing You is on Netflix, It is quite nineties though be warned. But in a good way.