Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Sandi Toksvig is on QI a lot and she is not funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
2 pages of chat about girl comedians and not one mention of Sarah Millicombe? Good job, goons!

...Dammit

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think anyone can be funny on QI any more. The whole concept's been beaten to death.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

XMNN posted:

Who cares whether she's a good or a bad ventriloquist, ventriloquism is pretty much never funny regardless of quality.

Woah lets not say things we cant take back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzwbNh-9CMk

I cant stand the duck!

Lemon
May 22, 2003

XMNN posted:

Who cares whether she's a good or a bad ventriloquist, ventriloquism is pretty much never funny regardless of quality.

There are plenty of funny women in general, though. Most of the ones I can think of seem to be mostly radio rather than TV eg Sandi Toksvig.

Come now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4znpOdPRrg

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Paperhouse posted:

Sandi Toksvig is on QI a lot and she is not funny

She's quite interesting though. Which pretty much qualifies.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

This ones brilliant as well

I went to see "The Dirty Orville Show" and its was brilliant

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Tim vine's ventriloquism bit was funny I don't care what anyone says

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

Answers Me posted:

I used to like Lucy Porter on panel shows, but haven't seen her on one in a while.

Probably busy with that recent court case...

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

The Big Taff Man posted:

Woah lets not say things we cant take back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzwbNh-9CMk

I cant stand the duck!

I am related to Keith Harris.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

tdrules posted:

Probably busy with that recent court case...

Just googled. VERY interesting. Although the fact that she used it in a routine is a little weird.

Dave Gorman gave evidence as well didn't he?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

goatface posted:

He did those huge shits on channel 4.

Luxury something? Wasn't that ages ago?

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Geokinesis posted:

Luxury something? Wasn't that ages ago?

They gave him a second series

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

thehustler posted:

I am related to Keith Harris.

Can you get me his autograph?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

goatface posted:

I don't think anyone can be funny on QI any more. The whole concept's been beaten to death.

there was this big thing in Curious by Ian Leslie about how the producer of QI who had won 50 baftas for Blackadder and not the nine ocloock news was really depressed and wanted to kill himself in the 2000s and suddenly had the idea for QI because he worked out that Facts Are Fascinating, needless to say as someone who starts barking at the tv whenever a panel show or Stephen Fry comes on I wish he'd done the honourable thing!!

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
There really are some poo poo "opinions" being expressed in this thread tonight.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

onoflalks posted:

They gave him a second series

poo poo, I was hoping that as there hadn't been too much fuss about the last one his career would die faster.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
The main problem with QI now is that they're not even bothering with general ignorance any more or even specifically worded questions to trick you, they're just flat out saying "no that's wrong because there's another answer to my question." I know it's not like there's a winner or anything, but it's just annoying.

On the most recent episode there was a picture of a toilet and the question was something like "What is this called?" And every name was wrong because they were all originally euphemisms. But it does have a name, and it's toilet. That's how language works.

They shouldn't even bother with the questions any more and just discuss weird facts.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
Sue Perkins is one of my favourite Just a Minute people. Along with Giles Brandreth and Graham Norton. Josie Lawrence is good too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shelf Adventure posted:

The main problem with QI now is that they're not even bothering with general ignorance any more or even specifically worded questions to trick you, they're just flat out saying "no that's wrong because there's another answer to my question." I know it's not like there's a winner or anything, but it's just annoying.

I'm going to apologize because me and people like me must be why they're doing it, because I love that about the show. Mostly for how it frustrates some of the guests, Phil Jupitus springing to mind, but also because the way the question is framed is often used to point out something trivial - like the fact that all the words for lavatory are euphemisms. Sure, they could just say that, but it kind of skips over an opportunity for humor in a humorous quiz show.

Also, since it's vaguely relevant to the earlier thread chat I was channel flicking a while ago and Joan Rivers was on Live at the Apollo so I'm gonna throw her out as another possible good female stand up for people to consider. If her stage persona carried over to real life she'd probably be a terrible person to know (but then, so would George Carlin among others), but as comedy I loved the poo poo out of her act and was grinning or laughing for most of the 20 odd minutes she was on.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

The Big Taff Man posted:

Can you get me his autograph?

I never see him nor do I really know him, I'm afraid.

I did deliver a paper to his house once before I knew I was related to him when I helped my mate out on his paper round one day. Weird.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

tsob posted:

, but also because the way the question is framed is often used to point out something trivial -

That's my issue though; they've given up framing the question in an interesting way. Instead it's just "nope, you're wrong because there's a different answer." Instead of "nope you're wrong because of the specific way I worded my question", which is fine.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

DominoDancing posted:

There really are some poo poo "opinions" being expressed in this thread tonight.

It really is something, innit. "Err, but I can't think of any funny men either, so I'm equal opportunities" it's practically one step away from sixth form models of lovely nihilistic equality. It's like nobody ever saw Smack the Pony.

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

Chocolate Teapot posted:

It really is something, innit. "Err, but I can't think of any funny men either, so I'm equal opportunities" it's practically one step away from sixth form models of lovely nihilistic equality. It's like nobody ever saw Smack the Pony.

At least no one has yet done what my boss did a few weeks ago and said '[Female comedian] is funny, but it's obvious that she has a man writing all her jokes'.

(It was Jo Brand and he also called her 'nice and motherly'. His opinions are bad opinions.)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Maud Moonshine posted:

At least no one has yet done what my boss did a few weeks ago and said '[Female comedian] is funny, but it's obvious that she has a man writing all her jokes'.

(It was Jo Brand and he also called her 'nice and motherly'. His opinions are bad opinions.)

All that sexism and the most misguided opinion there is still that Jo Brand is funny. loving hell.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Katherine Ryan's incredibly funny, but she's not really British.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shelf Adventure posted:

That's my issue though; they've given up framing the question in an interesting way. Instead it's just "nope, you're wrong because there's a different answer." Instead of "nope you're wrong because of the specific way I worded my question", which is fine.

They've always mixed in those kind of questions though, like asking "what age are you" and all the guests refusing to respond because they knew it was going to be a trick in some manner and so on. Usually to trap Alan and cost him points because he jumps in to those ones, originally out of ignorance and a desire to keep things rolling when the show was still in it's infancy and now more for the sake of a laugh than anything I suspect.

PriorMarcus posted:

All that sexism and the most misguided opinion there is still that Jo Brand is funny. loving hell.

She can be funny when she's talking about her past in psychology and medical training, but she seems to mostly stick to telling jokes about how she hates housework, how men are poo poo and, at least when it comes to QI, lots of really random Z-list celebrity guesses to answers about completely unrelated stuff.

KoldPT posted:

Katherine Ryan's incredibly funny, but she's not really British.

She is working the British tv circuit quite a bit though by the looks of things, so I imagine she's fine to talk about here in that regard.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

She's basically moved here lock, stock, and barrel and is married to a British guy, I think she's been here for like 5-10 years.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Maud Moonshine posted:

I wouldn't associate Jo Brand with "motherly", how strange. I seem to recall a time about 15 years ago when Jo Brand was funny, but I might be wrong. Certainly now all she shits out are incredibly corny "take my husband, please"-style jokes and talking about being fat/eating cake. Which makes her kind of perfect on the Extra Slice, but that's about it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Well if anyone was wondering what made Jo Brand qualified to judging a diving competition you just need to look at her career over the last few years.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Shelf Adventure posted:

Not that I'm a huge fan of QI but I saw this one and as far as I recall Stephen Fry asked could they name the toilet 'without mincing words', he emphasised it when he repeated the question, so it was to do with how it was worded.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Lemon posted:

Not that I'm a huge fan of QI but I saw this one and as far as I recall Stephen Fry asked could they name the toilet 'without mincing words', he emphasised it when he repeated the question, so it was to do with how it was worded.

My mistake.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I just saw an advert for Not Going Out where Lee Macks character appears on Pointless. Why the gently caress is this a thing? Quiz shows cant mix with sitcoms! Its so loving annoying.

I don't know why it makes me so angry.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3HvchF49AM

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

God, I already miss Rik :smith:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

God, I already miss Rik :smith:

I came across the episode with him and Edmundson from Blackadder Goes Forth yesterday on Dave. It's probably one of the best Blackadder episodes, thanks in no small part to the two of them - though his Lord Flasheart in Blackadder II was great too. He plays the charming rear end in a top hat in such an over the top way it's impossible not to love him in both.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Bogmonster posted:

I just saw an advert for Not Going Out where Lee Macks character appears on Pointless. Why the gently caress is this a thing? Quiz shows cant mix with sitcoms! Its so loving annoying.

this seems like a weird thing to get angry about

like when in the third touch of cloth when jon hanna is doing his monologue and is talking about broken dreams and pointless memories and it flicks to a picture of him on pointless did you get up from your chair and go into the kitchen and cry while mrs bogmonster puts her head in her hands and experiences yet another existential crisis or something

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Bogmonster posted:

Just don't watch this ok?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49UakIHb1yI

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I wouldn't associate Jo Brand with "motherly", how strange. I seem to recall a time about 15 years ago when Jo Brand was funny, but I might be wrong. Certainly now all she shits out are incredibly corny "take my husband, please"-style jokes and talking about being fat/eating cake. Which makes her kind of perfect on the Extra Slice, but that's about it.

No, nor would I. I don't find her particularly funny either, but I was kind of outraged by his 'there must be a man writing her material' attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I didn't (and still don't really) like Jo Brand appearing as herself on panels and that, but having seen her sitcom Getting On I can confirm that she is, in fact, funny. It is quite underrated and her writing and acting in it is very good