Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Would you mind naming this? I'm a dirty euro and wish-a to a-partake :sweden:

It's Secrets Of The Castle.
I also had to google the names of the historians involved to find the name.
Looks like a fun show. As long as my central heating doesn't break down again. Then it might look too realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

mrfart posted:

It's Secrets Of The Castle.
I also had to google the names of the historians involved to find the name.
Looks like a fun show. As long as my central heating doesn't break down again. Then it might look too realistic.

Yeah, sorry, thought I'd put that in my post. Whoops!

Was terribly good fun though. I like Ruth Goodman, the lady who enters into the life of various working-class women through history with such open enthusiasm. It's so rare and so wonderful to watch someone work at a project that they obviously adore.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Irisi posted:

Yeah, sorry, thought I'd put that in my post. Whoops!

Was terribly good fun though. I like Ruth Goodman, the lady who enters into the life of various working-class women through history with such open enthusiasm. It's so rare and so wonderful to watch someone work at a project that they obviously adore.

I'll definitely check it out.

About the missing.
It's great, but gut churning.
Even more so because I'm belgian.
I don't know how many of you realize this, but almost all of this series is filmed in Belgium.
They use a lot of French flags in the background, but it's usually Brussels, Binche, Dinant.
The majority is shot just minutes away from the crime case that changed the country, it's justice and police system forever in the early nineties.
A case so horrible and similar to what this series is about, that I find it very hard to think it wasn't done on purpose.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mrfart posted:

About the missing.
I don't know how many of you realize this, but almost all of this series is filmed in Belgium.
They use a lot of French flags in the background, but it's usually Brussels, Binche, Dinant.
The majority is shot just minutes away from the crime case that changed the country, it's justice and police system forever in the early nineties.
A case so horrible and similar to what this series is about, that I find it very hard to think it wasn't done on purpose.

Can you pick up Belgian accents there or do Belgian actors actually put on French ones for the show?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Paladinus posted:

Can you pick up Belgian accents there or do Belgian actors actually put on French ones for the show?

Yeah there are a lot of Belgian actors with a Belgian accent.
Especially the Flemish actors(who normally speak Dutch like myself) have a very recognizable accent.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
Watched all the episodes of The Missing, back-to-back.
:smith:
Might need counseling now

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

mrfart posted:

About the missing.

I keep saying to my girlfriend 'That part of France looks a lot like Belgium. Probably because they're so close :shobon:'

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

mrfart posted:

About the missing.

I'm not sure there are a great many countries they could film it in which has never had an abduction case or six.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What I find really compelling about The Missing is how media are shown to directly interfere often damaging the investigation instead of just reporting. Sensationalism around missing children is pretty unsettling.

Re similar cases, I think the show obviously took some inspiration from disappearance of Madeleine McCann, which took place in Portugal.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Paladinus posted:

Re similar cases, I think the show obviously took some inspiration from disappearance of Madeleine McCann, which took place in Portugal.

The mum's hair does it for me.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Paladinus posted:

What I find really compelling about The Missing is how media are shown to directly interfere often damaging the investigation instead of just reporting. Sensationalism around missing children is pretty unsettling.

It's about a child abduction, there are thousands of similar cases it could have taken inspiration from.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yeah, but McCann is the touchstone case at the moment.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Paladinus posted:

I love how unscrupulous he is, but at the same time shares a lot in common with your bog standard, idealistic journalist character that often appears in dramas.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Belgium has a problem with child abduction and police corruption though, especially relative to it's size. In 2011 there were around 500 international abductions in Belgium vs 700 in Germany which has x8 the population, although frankly the UK is much worse.

There is a push at the moment to reform international law and reporting in this area because it is a complete shambles, especially when it comes to migrant children (60% of migrant minors in social care in the UK go missing and never get found again). So I guess if the missing raises awareness in this regard, it can only help.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Hope everybody is watching David Attenboroughs' Life Story tonight. The male Peacock Spiders' mating dance and his eventual fate is the funniest thing I've seen in my life. Probably the BBC sound departments' decision to set the entire thing to tango music is what really tipped it from informative to ridiculous.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I don't care what it says about me, I love Sun/Snow, Sex and Suspicious Parents. It's usually pretty loving hilarious. My particular favourites are the parents who can't stand watching their poor sweet babies getting falling-down drunk.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Surprised there's no talk about Babylon, it's back after the pilot and pretty great. It certainly works better as a proper series than as a one-off.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

Surprised there's no talk about Babylon, it's back after the pilot and pretty great. It certainly works better as a proper series than as a one-off.

Watched the first episode and enjoyed it. Came across as a less silly version of "Touch of Cloth".

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
The adverts for Babylon look pretty good, though I can't see Johnson from peep show not being Johnson.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

The tone is a bit off at times. Like the Welsh copper recycling Inbetweeners cruditty. Could drop him entirely from the show and lost nothing.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, I'm really liking Babylon. "Who's the oval office in the car" made me laugh far too much. James Nesbit is really great.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Whoa - on the recommendation of this thread, I've started to watch The Missing. Intense, compelling stuff.

The pushy, nasty journalist reminds me in some instances (just the look he gets on his face) of Clem Fandango which adds a whole new dimension to his twattery.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Irisi posted:

Hope everybody is watching David Attenboroughs' Life Story tonight. The male Peacock Spiders' mating dance and his eventual fate is the funniest thing I've seen in my life. Probably the BBC sound departments' decision to set the entire thing to tango music is what really tipped it from informative to ridiculous.

Life Stories has had some amazing editing all series, honestly.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Shelf Adventure posted:

The adverts for Babylon look pretty good, though I can't see Johnson from peep show not being Johnson.

I've just been rewatching the Survivors 2008 series and am having the exact same problem. JOHNSON.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006

Captain Mediocre posted:

I've just been rewatching the Survivors 2008 series and am having the exact same problem. JOHNSON.

More fool you, rear end in a top hat.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

It's not that bad! Not great, but still.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I've just sat down and watched all of babylon so far. It's great. There are one or two characters that are a bit too cartoony, but overall it's really well done.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Tenebrais posted:

Life Stories has had some amazing editing all series, honestly.

I need to catch up with most of the series, but I don't think I've ever watched anything more tense than the footage of the tiny geese leaping off the edge.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Shelf Adventure posted:

More fool you, rear end in a top hat.

We could easily have a Peep Show quote thread, and Johnson could fill 90% of it.

Pointless trivia: The original script for the end of series 3 was to have Johnson kill himself.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
I'm enjoying The Missing but the journalist character is horrible. Like, I understand he's meant to be a slimy piece of poo poo but he's so one-note that it's infuriating.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Pablo Bluth posted:

I need to catch up with most of the series, but I don't think I've ever watched anything more tense than the footage of the tiny geese leaping off the edge.

The worst part of that was if you watched the follow on making of bit, the camera people said all the babies were promptly eaten by a fox anyway.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

david... posted:

The worst part of that was if you watched the follow on making of bit, the camera people said all the babies were promptly eaten by a fox anyway.

No, that was during their first attempt at capturing the jump, the second nest they found is the one in the series proper and the event happened as shown.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
What's everyone else's views on the 2nd series of The Fall so far? Like The missing, i kinda feel the sense of dread a lot more than your regular murder/thriller shows because there's no real mystery to it, we just have the killers perspective and the police's perspective.

There's no big sharkjumping conspiracy, there doesn't seem to be any nonsensical bits (that i can remember), it's just a clever guy going around murdering women with almost equally clever detectives going after him and it's just good.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Kin posted:

The Fall

it's just good.

It is, and what's more Gillian Anderson is very good in it, and fit, unless that is politically incorrect to say.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Did anyone else watch Remember Me? It's a ghost story in 3 hour-long parts with Michael Palin in it. He's good, the rest of the actors are good, the story is probably about dealing with Britain's colonial past, and it's filled to the brim with clichés from every 15-rated ghost story from the past 20 years.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

stickyfngrdboy posted:

It is, and what's more Gillian Anderson is very good in it, and fit, unless that is politically incorrect to say.
I find her attractive. Would like to know Taff's thoughts

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Gillian Anderson's voice is like a cat getting stepped on. I'll pass.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Rarity posted:

Gillian Anderson's voice is like a cat getting stepped on. I'll pass.

as in, both are sexy as hell, you mean?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Remember Me was alright, picked up a lot in the last 10 minutes, although it was a bit reliant on "quiet quiet LOUD quiet" for some of it's scares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Did anyone else watch Remember Me? It's a ghost story in 3 hour-long parts with Michael Palin in it. He's good, the rest of the actors are good, the story is probably about dealing with Britain's colonial past, and it's filled to the brim with clichés from every 15-rated ghost story from the past 20 years.

Really I watched it and the whole conversation was, "is she gonna break in against his wishes? Yep. Rearranging the photographs against his wishes? Yep. I bet she sits down and plays the pia-, yep there we go, now she's taking his stuff out of the wardrobe? He's gonna be really mad about that. Oh hey, Jumanji! I remember this film!"

We managed to call every plot point about 5 minutes before it happened.

It was a little better after we turned all the lights off, put the subs on and upped the brightness on the telly slightly.