Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Jehde posted:

Finished 15 Storeys High and moving on to Ideal, another great recommendation. Apparently blokes in a flat is my favourite type of sitcom.

If you like physical comedy, Bottom is pretty great.

On that note, did anyone watch the Rik Mayall tribute last night? I got pretty choked up at the end there. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

So did nobody watch Babylon at all? I thought it was really good, a "comedy-drama" that actually managed to be both funny and dramatic. Johnson from Peep Show actually becoming a competent leader was a good moment as well

I did. 99% of the time it managed to walk the line between comedy and serious really well. And the times it failed were t xringeworthy enough to ruin the show.
Wish the finale had offered a bit more resolution and left less hanging.

Those riot scenes must have been expensive to shoot.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Kin posted:

But we pretty much do know because that drawing was in the snow.

What? The dad drew it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The problem I had with The Missing was nothing to do with the 'it wasn't paedophiles' thing. It would simply have been a better ending to have both parents just move on.

Edit: it felt forced and was actually really cringey, rather than harrowing.
One did and the other one didn't. I'm really not sure what you mean by forced, the ending matches with the way the characters were portrayed. Emily managed to cope the tragedy by leaning on her new family. Tony isolated himself and had nothing, so he spends years wandering Europe, unable to find closure. Had the show ended by finding Olly's body, he'd have just spent the next few years trying to hunt down the Romanian who killed him. Hes doomed until he accepts that an opportunity for relief has already presented itself and all he needs to do is to take it. But hes not going to do that. Hence the reason why the final shot of the show is a close up of his distraught face.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Gorn Myson posted:

One did and the other one didn't. I'm really not sure what you mean by forced, the ending matches with the way the characters were portrayed. Emily managed to cope the tragedy by leaning on her new family. Tony isolated himself and had nothing, so he spends years wandering Europe, unable to find closure. Had the show ended by finding Olly's body, he'd have just spent the next few years trying to hunt down the Romanian who killed him. Hes doomed until he accepts that an opportunity for relief has already presented itself and all he needs to do is to take it. But hes not going to do that. Hence the reason why the final shot of the show is a close up of his distraught face.

This is exactly how I read it and why I liked it - maybe because in truth, I think I'd be like Tony until it destroyed me or put me in jail.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Doakes posted:

What? The dad drew it.

How do you figure that?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kin posted:

How do you figure that?

He's been shown drawing this this stick figure in his notepad in the episode.

Anyway, the most unrealistic part of The Missing is how so many French could speak English, let alone understand what the father said.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Kin posted:

How do you figure that?

It was pretty heavily signalled - at the start, we were meant to think that the shadowy figure in the jacket filmed from behind had come from the room with the snow painting, as he was pretty close and coming from that direction. The whole "kids running away" was meant to signal "look, evil kidnapper person, even the kids can see it" - so the obvious conclusion is that he has Olly in his house and Olly painted the picture. Only we learn right at the end that the shadowy figure is actually Tony, so the obvious conclusion is that he's just been there, painted it in a moment of distraction and then continued the hunt to the flat with the boy where the police catch him. The only is he alive/isn't he moment comes at the end where the boy is staring at the paper with what might be a faint glimmer of recognition.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

Having to move on and attempt a normal life after such a devastating loss is a much scarier, and far more realistic, thought than anything they did to end it here. Never mind that he had no job and no money, he's still off round Russia looking for his dead kid?

We knew he was desperate and distraught at his loss, it was really obvious. The show was, up until the last few scenes, written well enough, and acted well enough, that subtlety at the end would have been enough.

The way they finished it was almost as if they were spelling it out for any idiots watching. 'Look how distraught he is and how hard he's finding the loss of his kid! look at his face!'. Ruined it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Jonnty posted:

It was pretty heavily signalled - at the start, we were meant to think that the shadowy figure in the jacket filmed from behind had come from the room with the snow painting, as he was pretty close and coming from that direction. The whole "kids running away" was meant to signal "look, evil kidnapper person, even the kids can see it" - so the obvious conclusion is that he has Olly in his house and Olly painted the picture. Only we learn right at the end that the shadowy figure is actually Tony, so the obvious conclusion is that he's just been there, painted it in a moment of distraction and then continued the hunt to the flat with the boy where the police catch him. The only is he alive/isn't he moment comes at the end where the boy is staring at the paper with what might be a faint glimmer of recognition.

Or, it was drawn in the car window, Tony saw it and started looking at the kids in the park to see if one of them was Ollie before going up to the flat and showing the kid the same picture saying "look its the picture you drew". Which makes more sense than him idly drawing the picture all over the place which isn't something he did in the series at all.

Yes, the reason the picture in the snow was there was to make you think that "poo poo Ollie is alive and in Russia, here's a bad man coming to get more kids or maybe Ollie himself", but there's no indication that Tony drew it at all.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

The CIA torture report has less blacked out text than this page.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Just binged on both series of the Fall this past week and I have to say it is the most accurate police procedural I have ever seen. The fact they went to such effort to get everything as realistic as possible really blew me away. All the things most crime dramas do away with because it's deemed too boring, too mundane, not exciting enough. I seriously appreciated the realism and I had to keep pausing it to gush to my husband 'that's the first time I've ever seen a crime drama get it right!'. I think a favourite yet kind of unexciting part was Spector's voluntary interview. The interviewer took his time to probe every drat thing Spector said. What was on TV that night, what room were you in, what websites did you look at, describe what work you did, what did you have for dinner, what time did you have dinner? On and on. It's such a boring set of questions put forward in a very calm and monotone voice, but drat, it's exactly what those interviews are like and I loved it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rewatching Him & Her since Netflix have just added the third series.

Forgot how good it is, and how Laura is one of the most horrific characters ever created. She's universally a terrible person and that's why she's amazing.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
The Wrong Mans is back on and it is good

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Is James Corden really James Corden-y in it?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I thought he was quite good in it, personally. Both lead actors are.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

I'd say James Corden was less James Corden-y than I was expecting.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah it was pretty good, I didn't watch the first series but I was a little disappointed browsing the TV guide earlier and seeing tonight was the second and final episode. Considering what a big plot it was I think they could have easily gotten 4 episodes out of it, maybe 6, and it should have still been quite enjoyable.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
On a radio programming note, the adaptation of Good Omens with Peter Serafinowicz and Mark Heap started last night on Radio 4 with a double bill, and it's just as good as I'd hoped. There's now not enough time to catch up before the 3rd episode airs live, but it's all there on iplayer to enjoy...

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Rewatching Him & Her since Netflix have just added the third series.

Forgot how good it is, and how Laura is one of the most horrific characters ever created. She's universally a terrible person and that's why she's amazing.

Pah, you would have thought that Netflix would have told me this, seeing as both the first two series have been watched through a bunch of times, but no, it just carries on pimping House at me as if I've been tracked under a rock for the past ten years.

On the other hand, I'm delighted that the third series of him and her is up, so yay.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS

Dr Scoofles posted:

Just binged on both series of the Fall this past week and I have to say it is the most accurate police procedural I have ever seen. The fact they went to such effort to get everything as realistic as possible really blew me away. All the things most crime dramas do away with because it's deemed too boring, too mundane, not exciting enough. I seriously appreciated the realism and I had to keep pausing it to gush to my husband 'that's the first time I've ever seen a crime drama get it right!'. I think a favourite yet kind of unexciting part was Spector's voluntary interview. The interviewer took his time to probe every drat thing Spector said. What was on TV that night, what room were you in, what websites did you look at, describe what work you did, what did you have for dinner, what time did you have dinner? On and on. It's such a boring set of questions put forward in a very calm and monotone voice, but drat, it's exactly what those interviews are like and I loved it.

It was great but petered out a towards the end of series 2 I think. Everything came together a bit too neatly.

Check out Line of Duty if you like realistic police procedurals! I'm about half way through series 2 and it really is excellent.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Anyone see the Professor Branestawm special? I enjoyed it, very true to the books.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just watched the last episode of Brian Pern: A Life in Rock with the family, the whole series was magnificent. Seems the first series wasn't released on DVD, hoping they release them together now. If you've not seen it, I'm worried I'll spoil stuff by explaining how good it is, besides Inspector Alleyn swearing the house down.

Edit:

BioEnchanted posted:

Anyone see the Professor Branestawm special? I enjoyed it, very true to the books.

Yeah it was sweet, very well cast. Seemed to continue the apparent tradition of putting Harry Hill out much later than really seems necessary or appropriate.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 25, 2014

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It's pretty funny that The British Comedy Awards astonishingly managed to cajole Stewart Lee into turning up this year, only to not give him any awards and then give a lifetime achievement award to the Mrs Brown's Boys bloke.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Comrade Fakename posted:

It's pretty funny that The British Comedy Awards astonishingly managed to cajole Stewart Lee into turning up this year, only to not give him any awards and then give a lifetime achievement award to the Mrs Brown's Boys bloke.

That's the funniest thing Stewart Lee has ever been involved in.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Flatscan posted:

That's the funniest thing Stewart Lee has ever been involved in.

Top Gear fan, eh? :whatup:

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
I've finally gotten round to watching 15 Storeys High. I'm four episodes in and holy Christmas it's good. It's fairly dark and dry, but there's a certain warmth to it. I'm still not sure whether I'm supposed to like his character or not. Why isn't anything else Sean Locke's done been this good?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

7seven7 posted:

I've finally gotten round to watching 15 Storeys High. I'm four episodes in and holy Christmas it's good. It's fairly dark and dry, but there's a certain warmth to it. I'm still not sure whether I'm supposed to like his character or not. Why isn't anything else Sean Locke's done been this good?
He's not really done any other writing in the same way, has he? I liked his first standup DVD (haven't seen the others) and enjoy him on panel shows and that, which seems to be all he really does. 15 Storeys High is really good though, I agree.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just watched the last episode of Brian Pern: A Life in Rock with the family, the whole series was magnificent. Seems the first series wasn't released on DVD, hoping they release them together now. If you've not seen it, I'm worried I'll spoil stuff by explaining how good it is, besides Inspector Alleyn swearing the house down.

As someone else who absolutely loved that series, I completely agree. Thoughts in spoiler tags.

I loved how despite often showing Brian's often frankly bizarre and petty behaviour, they showed at the end of the day he still did the right thing with the charity record. And John also telling the recording lady to gently caress off after she clearly didn't give a poo poo about Brian, just making money off him. And also that his bandmates still came through for him in the end. Although that Peter Gabriel cameo at the end...:stonk: is this the end of Brian Pern? I sure as hell hope not.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

As someone else who absolutely loved that series, I completely agree. Thoughts in spoiler tags.

I loved how despite often showing Brian's often frankly bizarre and petty behaviour, they showed at the end of the day he still did the right thing with the charity record. And John also telling the recording lady to gently caress off after she clearly didn't give a poo poo about Brian, just making money off him. And also that his bandmates still came through for him in the end. Although that Peter Gabriel cameo at the end...:stonk: is this the end of Brian Pern? I sure as hell hope not.

Also don't think there was a single caption that wasn't side-splittingly hilarious.

And specifically in the last ep, I utterly loved how they clearly didn't tell any of the guest stars about the "bipolar polar bears" and got thier real reactions.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Doublepost- Carrie Fisher turned out to be far from the most baffled participant QI has had, and was a really good sport about the Star Wars talk. I was expecting another John Hodgeman situation.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Oh, there was a QI Christmas special? You just made my day, sir!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DominoDancing posted:

Oh, there was a QI Christmas special? You just made my day, sir!
I was about to ask, other than Doctor Who and Top Gear, what other high profile Christmas specials should an American check out?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

I was about to ask, other than Doctor Who and Top Gear, what other high profile Christmas specials should an American check out?

8 out of ten cats

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
I enjoyed the Mrs Brown Christmas special. I laughed a few times, unlike the Miranda special. That was just.... brutal.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
For the first time since the reboot began I didn't watch the Doctor Who Christmas special. It's odd, I like Capaldi more than any of the other doctors but I just don't have any interest in the rest of the show.

goatface posted:

Just watch Cracker.

Seconding this, Cracker is fantastic.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Doublepost- Carrie Fisher turned out to be far from the most baffled participant QI has had, and was a really good sport about the Star Wars talk. I was expecting another John Hodgeman situation.

What happened with Hodgeman? He seems like he'd be a perfect fit for QI.

Also, Carrie Fisher is a huge surprise guest for a BBC panel show. It's like she was hanging around the studio waiting to do some The Force Awakens presser and they relentlessly begged her to come on the show and she agreed.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 26, 2014

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

pentyne posted:

What happened with Hodgeman? He seems like he'd be a perfect fit for QI.

I don't think Hodgman was particularly baffled, it's just that he was literally the fifth person on the panel, and him being unfamiliar with the format meant that he didn't participate that much. Still, I didn't think he fared particularly badly at all.
I'd really like to know what booking quirk led to them having five guests that week in the first place.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 26, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

DrNewton posted:

I enjoyed the Mrs Brown Christmas special. I laughed a few times, unlike the Miranda special. That was just.... brutal.

I'm very sorry to hear about your head injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I was forced to watch the Miranda live dvd yesterday...

:suicide:

I urge you all to never watch such horrendous poo poo. There were vox pops of the audience saying that she was an inspiration for women everywhere.

Really? Being popular on the telly for lowest common denominator, shite unfunny, jokes makes you a role model now does it?

A good 10 minutes of her loving set was about sometimes farting when you bend over as you get older. Or how changing the sheets on your bed is such a terrible task.

"Have you ever tried changing the sheets on your bed?" :rolleyes: