Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mickolution posted:

I like it. It's really stupid, no doubt, but it's so ridiculous it's sort of enjoyable. Like a weak TV Go Home entry.

It really is beyond parody, like if MItchell and Webb had done this a few years ago it would have been a funny joke, now it just makes me sad for the TV industry and humanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Did anyone else watch Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norell? It's surprisingly good.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Ghetto Prince posted:

It was pretty good fun, and done well on what was clearly a fairly limited budget. Only complaint is the way they've distorted The Gentlemans' voice, they were going for menacing and it just came off as silly.

Eddie Marsan is perfect for the part of Mr Norrell though, all cranky and socially awkward and blinking out from under his horrible wig like a mole who's never seen sunlight or a female before.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Ghetto Prince posted:

I wish the scene in York Minster lasted a little longer, the idea of bickering medieval kings and gargoyles is a wet dream for me. It was excellently done, though.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Ghetto Prince posted:

I think you'll find that's pronounced Nor-ELLE.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I watched The Detectives on BBC 2 instead of the new drama thing. It's about the specially trained police officers who have to deal with sexual offences. It's brilliantly made, but really difficult to watch, the subject matter being what it is. It's on again tonight and Wednesday. Worth watching.

Maybe the only time I've ever had respect for officers of the law.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Hahah. Its unsurprising you'd have little respect for police given you've admitted in other threads about your criminal past.

Not all cops are like Detective Burnside from the Bill you know.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

The Big Taff Man posted:

Hahah. Its unsurprising you'd have little respect for police given you've admitted in other threads about your criminal past.

Not all cops are like Detective Burnside from the Bill you know.

You're an idiot.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The only copper I respect is DCI Gene Hunt. All other pigs are useless.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That man really loves his cheese.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I watched The Detectives on BBC 2 instead of the new drama thing. It's about the specially trained police officers who have to deal with sexual offences. It's brilliantly made, but really difficult to watch, the subject matter being what it is. It's on again tonight and Wednesday. Worth watching.

I saw it in the listings and hoped it was a new series of the sitcom. Then I looked up what Jasper's been up to and found out he's 70. Never really occurred to me that he's that old, I guess because he's not been on TV much in so long. I used to love his shows as a kid.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Whybird posted:

I think you'll find that's pronounced Nor-ELLE.
Yeah, Drawlight is... a bit much.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Eurovision semi-finals relegated to BBC3? Beeb confirmed as forever poo poo.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

This means nothing to me.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Haven't they always been on BBC3? Or for at least the last 5-6 years anyway?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Watching the semi-finals would ruin the main event. I like the element of surprise that comes with the really crazy acts.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

WeAreTheRomans posted:

The semis have always been on BBC3, the grand final on Saturday is on BBC1

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I don't think they've ever shown the semis on BBC1 or 2 since they started doing them.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Captain Mediocre posted:

The Alan Partridge movie is on iPlayer for those who never saw it.
Just finished watching it. The final toilet scene is amazing...

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Pablo Bluth posted:

Just finished watching it. The final toilet scene is amazing...

Never seen Alan Partriddge stuff myself before and I was concerned that he'd be a Mr Bean like character, but it was suprisingly good.

For fans of Peter Capaldi, have a look at In the Loop, also on iPlayer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Angrymog posted:

Never seen Alan Partriddge stuff myself before and I was concerned that he'd be a Mr Bean like character, but it was suprisingly good.

Oh boy there's so much stuff for you to watch/listen/read...

On The Hour (radio)
The Day Today (TV)
Knowing Me, Knowing You with Alan Partridge (both radio and TV)
I'm Alan Partridge (TV)
The web series that was also aired by Sky Atlantic
His autobiography (read in character if you get the audiobook version)

There's more stuff, but that covers the character and his continued downfall. It's all pretty much amazing too.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Partridge turned into one of those cross-media franchises, only it happened purely by accident and its all fits together perfectly.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

But if you only watch one thing, make it season 1 of I'm Alan Partridge, which is approaching the absolute zenith of sitcom.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

netally posted:

Watching the semi-finals would ruin the main event. I like the element of surprise that comes with the really crazy acts.

The really crazy acts tend to be voted out in the semis though, especially since they introduced jury voting.

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!
Nick Helm has his own show on iPlayer at the moment. It's good.

ookiimarukochan posted:

The really crazy acts tend to be voted out in the semis though, especially since they introduced jury voting.

The Eurovision jury voting system seems crazy. Last year the UK public voted the Polish entry (boobs in traditional costumes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ920cN2HmA) number 1, but after the jury votes were included Poland didn't get any points from the UK. It makes phone voting pretty much worthless. Although it's hard to get too :argh: about Eurovision.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
There's a thing on iPlayer called Frankie Boyle's Election Autopsy, which I wasn't going to mention at first. It's pretty funny throughout, but the reason i mention it is for the last five or six minutes, when akala (rapper/poet/brother of ms. dynamite) turns up to talk about racism in Britain.

Not funny at all but definitely worth seeing.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

stickyfngrdboy posted:

There's a thing on iPlayer called Frankie Boyle's Election Autopsy, which I wasn't going to mention at first. It's pretty funny throughout, but the reason i mention it is for the last five or six minutes, when akala (rapper/poet/brother of ms. dynamite) turns up to talk about racism in Britain.

Not funny at all but definitely worth seeing.

Yeah, that segment pulled no punches, and quite rightfully so.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
That guy was loving amazing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Thanks for mentioning him, I'd have skipped that thing entirely and missed out.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Here's the clip on Youtube. Definitely an interesting watch. Never heard of the guy, but there's a couple of related links with him so they're probably worth checking out too. Does he appear on tv much?

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

thehustler posted:

That guy was loving amazing.

yeah the best part was when he said things definitely no one had said ever before and how he was speaking to an audience that in no way already agreed with what he was saying before he even said it whew loving phenomenal m8

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

lionlegs posted:

The Eurovision jury voting system seems crazy. Last year the UK public voted the Polish entry number 1, but after the jury votes were included Poland didn't get any points from the UK. It makes phone voting pretty much worthless. Although it's hard to get too :argh: about Eurovision.

I'm trying to get my head around that.

It's like The Jury gives 20 points to their favourite, 19 for the next, 18, etc all the way to their number 10 pick getting 11 points. Then the public vote, the favourite gets 10 points (and the next gets 9, etc), so if the most voted for on the phonelines doesn't appear on the Jury list, it's automatically locked out. You may as well tell the UK crowd which 10 they are allowed to vote to change the order of.

(nb. I can't remember if the eurovision has 8 or 10 countries that are given points, but u get the idea)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

corn in the fridge posted:

yeah the best part was when he said things definitely no one had said ever before and how he was speaking to an audience that in no way already agreed with what he was saying before he even said it whew loving phenomenal m8

It gives me much hope that more or less everyone in the crowd thought that Aussie talk show clip was racist as gently caress. Seriously, what the hell?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SeanBeansShako posted:

It gives me much hope that more or less everyone in the crowd thought that Aussie talk show clip was racist as gently caress. Seriously, what the hell?

But was it really?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...t-10210768.html

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

People should definitely stop saying important things if some other people said them first and some other people already agree with those things, yeah.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Still made people think, even it was a weird not well thought out slip of the tounge.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

stickyfngrdboy posted:

People should definitely stop saying important things if some other people said them first and some other people already agree with those things, yeah.

i think you missed the point of my post

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Still made people think, even it was a weird not well thought out slip of the tounge.

Think about what? That all Aussies are (violent inbred criminals and) racists? Because clearly, if a news anchor says something openly racist, such behaviour is tolerated and maybe encouraged there. Is that what we want for our country? What horror.

There's a lot to be said about their immigration policies, treatment of indigenous Australians, and many other things, but it should be said not through a viral 10 seconds video clip from youtube dot com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

i think you missed the point of my post

What was the point of your post?