Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

marktheando posted:

What was the point of your post?

what im saying is its cool to take complex social issues and boil them down to a bunch of hip buzzwords and witty one liners without actually providing a plan of action for change for the entertainment of a bunch of middle class goobers who are in no way affected by said social issues so they can nod their heads sagely and go home feeling good about themselves and maybe have something intelligent sounding to say to their coworkers the following day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

corn in the fridge posted:

what im saying is its cool to take complex social issues and boil them down to a bunch of hip buzzwords and witty one liners without actually providing a plan of action for change for the entertainment of a bunch of middle class goobers who are in no way affected by said social issues so they can nod their heads sagely and go home feeling good about themselves and maybe have something intelligent sounding to say to their coworkers the following day

Yeah I agree, those blacks need to either come up with a plan to solve racism forever, or they should shut the gently caress up about it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Just saw an ad for new series of Man Down soon :dance:

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

marktheando posted:

Yeah I agree, those blacks need to either come up with a plan to solve racism forever, or they should shut the gently caress up about it.

haha youre very cute but you've managed to miss my point entirely. i agree with what he's saying for the most part but he can write his poems and get his message out to millions of people till he's blue in the face and it won't do a single loving thing. the reason he hasn't got a solution to his problem is because there is no solution to his problem. society likes to champion the struggle of the little man but true change can only be enacted from the top, not the bottom and even then it will only occur out of necessity not desire

this bloke is essentially no different to russell brand

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I'm not sure if change comes from the top down, Tony Blair didn't teach me how to use the internet or anything. I think the real change comes from shifts in the culture, the combination of a desire for novelty, wanting to be shocked or whichever, until that becomes the norm. Are the 1960's the same as the 1930's? The 1930's the same as the 1630's? I think the arts, including television, are a good opportunity to change peoples perspectives moreso than law or economy. Not to say that they aren't intertwined, feeding each other, but to dismiss anyone saying something that needs to be said more should be encouraged. I thought it clever of him to bring up the involvement of India in World War 2 as that is especially held up as something to be patriotic about. It might not necessarily speak to you, but it might have been the right words for someone else to reconsider their stance on issues of race and equality. Better that than people being entertained by Nigel Farage and the like surely?

Murder In Successville is still good by the way.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'm cringing so hard at this episode of HIGNFY that I can no longer remember a time before cringing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It wasn't so bad except when Jon Ronson opened his mouth.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

i loving love sharks man

thanks bbc

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Dude who was doing Newsnight's report on eurovision tonight seemed to be channeling Charlie Brooker. Good craic.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Mr. Squishy posted:

It wasn't so bad except when Jon Ronson opened his mouth.

I thought the Psychopath Test was balls with no critical analysis whatsoever, and felt finally justified when he spoke and said absolutely nothing worth listening to.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

justcola posted:

Murder In Successville is still good by the way.

I never thought I'd see Deborah Meaden arguing about "he who smelt it dealt it". The whole episode was incredibly surreal, half the time I couldn't tell if she was completely out of touch with the idea of the show, or if she has a massive undiscovered talent for playing the straight man.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Ghetto Prince posted:

Did anyone else watch Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norell? It's surprisingly good.
It was pretty sweet. Vinculus wasn't quite how I imagined him in the book, but it makes sense. On the other hand, the man with the thistle-down hair looked kind of ridiculous.

I'm so used to anything in a remotely historical setting flash "CITY CIRCA TIME" at the opening of a scene that I was thrown off a bit when they didn't bother with that.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

The Supreme Court posted:

I thought the Psychopath Test was balls with no critical analysis whatsoever, and felt finally justified when he spoke and said absolutely nothing worth listening to.

Yeah when I got to the end of Psychopath Test I had to check to make sure my copy didn't have half the pages missing or something, completely worthless book.

The guy playing Sleet in Successville is a genius and also a massive terrifying giant of a man, Deborah Meaden slapping his arm away hahaha. I think it's funnier when the celeb plays along with it, but the bed scene was pretty amazing.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I really enjoyed Them, Adventures With Extremists. Also I love the whole Jon Ronson On... radio series.

I can definitely imagine that he'd be pretty rubbish as a HIGNFY panellist.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

The Supreme Court posted:

Whenever he talked it was like white noise

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I like Ronson a lot, but I really don't understand why anyone would think putting him on a panel show was a good idea. His whole schtick is that he's very awkward and nebbishy. He's the opposite of a good panel show guest.

It was like that time John Hodgman went on QI as his deranged millionaire character. It's just a terrible idea.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I would assume he told loads of really boring stores that they cut, which would explain Merton doing his "here we go again, wake me up when you are done" thing after he started to say something for the second time (and his first story was really quick).

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Just binged Peter Kay's Car Share.

Can't believe how bloody good it was. Got a little emotional in the final episode :blush:

Also, the daft adverts and the mad radio stuff where they mentioned a terrible disaster as a clue to the date of the next track :laffo:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Adverts are always the best part of a Peter Kay show.

Chorley FM: Coming in our listener's ears.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I loved Car Share. The crap radio station ads for local colleges, tile shops etc were so spot on.

Have they left the ending open for season two?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Adverts are always the best part of a Peter Kay show.

Chorley FM: Coming in our listener's ears.
Disappointed they didn't use that as their slogan when Chorley FM actually launched.

There's a mural that says it in Chorley train station, though. Or there used to be when I lived there 10 years ago, anyway.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh boy there's so much stuff for you to watch/listen/read...

On The Hour (radio)
The Day Today (TV)
Knowing Me, Knowing You with Alan Partridge (both radio and TV)
I'm Alan Partridge (TV)
The web series that was also aired by Sky Atlantic
His autobiography (read in character if you get the audiobook version)

There's more stuff, but that covers the character and his continued downfall. It's all pretty much amazing too.

You mention the reason but it should be made clear that the audiobook I the only way to experience I Partridge, its more than just in character its one of the funniest Partridge things ever, there are bits when he gets text message whilst hes meant to be recording and talks out loud as he responds, it's fantastic.

On a different note has anybody been watching No Offence? Its pretty good and a different route for Abbott, its good to see him not just trying to make another Shameless.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Akuma posted:

Disappointed they didn't use that as their slogan when Chorley FM actually launched.

There's a mural that says it in Chorley train station, though. Or there used to be when I lived there 10 years ago, anyway.

There still is.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

StoneOfShame posted:

On a different note has anybody been watching No Offence? Its pretty good and a different route for Abbott, its good to see him not just trying to make another Shameless.

I'm quite enjoying it, although it is laden to the gunnels with eye-rolling nonsense. Inspirational monologues and MOMENTS OF EMOTION just kinda thrown in willy-nilly.

Disgusting Coward fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 26, 2015

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I binged Car Share on the weekend too, I find Peter Kay self indulgent at times but was really shocked by how funny it was. The whole thing with Kayleigh getting confused about dogging was brilliant for me, because once I was taking my mum to the dog races and she ended up going to work and telling everyone she was going dogging with her son and she couldnt understand why everyone was so shocked.

StoneOfShame posted:

You mention the reason but it should be made clear that the audiobook I the only way to experience I Partridge, its more than just in character its one of the funniest Partridge things ever, there are bits when he gets text message whilst hes meant to be recording and talks out loud as he responds, it's fantastic.

This has come up before and I disagree. Theres a bunch of jokes that work on paper and so get skipped around on the audio book. I think you have to read it and listen to it to fully appreciate.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/05/26/never-mind-the-buzzcocks-axed-bbc_n_7441254.html?1432643525&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

Buzzcocks has been given the axe after 18 years on air, I think this is the first of the long running comedy panel shows to go, shame really as I enjoyed watching it now and again.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Judge Tesla posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/05/26/never-mind-the-buzzcocks-axed-bbc_n_7441254.html?1432643525&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

Buzzcocks has been given the axe after 18 years on air, I think this is the first of the long running comedy panel shows to go, shame really as I enjoyed watching it now and again.

Too many people enjoyed it only now and then, I reckon. Can't say I didn't, but I won't miss it too much.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

I only ever really liked it when it was Simon Amstell seeing how nasty he could get away with being.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it was best when it was spiteful, with running arcs of hatred and guests who really didn't seem to know what they were getting into. I assume it got sued into mediocrity. They didn't have someone like Hislop on board who's personally lawyered up to the teeth.

It's not the first to die though, They Think It's All Over went in the mid 2000's, that had been running for over a decade.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

We'd have heard about it if anyone tried to sue, more likely the one agent going in Britain said that if they were going to keep making people walk off, then they won't get any guests in the first place. Which, I mean, is fair?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

What will Phil Jupitus do now? Besides be on QI and probably the radio 4 equivalent now and then. Which reminds me;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnEVdocCIBs

Carpool was the first time I saw two comedians in a car talking about poo poo generally, then I think Seinfeld and Ru Paul did it, now it's built on by Peter Kay and the like. Although it might have a distant evolutionary cousin in Marion and Geoff, I'd be surprised slightly if Robert Llewellyn started the kind of format of driving around talking about poo poo. Can anyone think of anything earlier?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I enjoyed the period leading up to Lamarr's departure, when he was getting visibly bored with the entire thing and just loving around having standoffs with pirates and assaulting Bill for constantly going on about owls and weasels.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Late-era Lamarr was the best because he clearly just didn't give a poo poo. Which ironically made him funnier, and more likely to be kept on.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

justcola posted:

What will Phil Jupitus do now? Besides be on QI and probably the radio 4 equivalent now and then.

I've seen people on Facebook saying that Jupitus had a lot of creative control recently but I haven't watched it in a while. Used to love it with Amstell though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

It was pretty sweet. Vinculus wasn't quite how I imagined him in the book, but it makes sense. On the other hand, the man with the thistle-down hair looked kind of ridiculous.

I'm so used to anything in a remotely historical setting flash "CITY CIRCA TIME" at the opening of a scene that I was thrown off a bit when they didn't bother with that.

The gentleman with the thistle-down hair is the character who isn't quite how I imagined him in the book. In the show, he's coming across as really obviously sinister, like he's consciously manipulating Stephen, like he's lying and he knows it. In the book, at least to me, he came across... well, not quite "innocent," but more like everything he's doing makes perfect sense to him and it never even crosses his mind that anyone else could possibly think differently. Less "sinister manipulator," more "kid who doesn't understand why the cat scratches him when he's just trying to play." More manic, I think.

I'm still really pleasantly surprised by the adaptation, though. Everything else is great.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

http://youtu.be/jeNKbgU1Sho

Mark Lamarr making a fool out of Pete Burns, my favourite Buzzcocks moment. Phone posting so can't embed

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Late-era Lamarr was the best because he clearly just didn't give a poo poo. Which ironically made him funnier, and more likely to be kept on.

:agreed:

Bye Buzzcles

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

Disgusting Coward posted:

I'm quite enjoying it, although it is laden to the gunnels with eye-rolling nonsense. Inspirational monologues and MOMENTS OF EMOTION just kinda thrown in willy-nilly.

On a note to do with this and it does has to be taken with many pinches of salt but an old school friend of mine (he did work on a few early seasons of Shameless and I know this to be true) is good casual friends with Paul Abbott (he at least was, I dont know if he still is hence where the doubt comes in) was saying he met him recently, sort after No Offense was written to talk about his next project. Apparently (as I said dont take this as gospel) Paul's mental health problems, particularly his bipolar were really obvious, he was apparently speaking a million miles an hour and talking about how everyone is trying to gently caress him because they dont want working class fellas in TV. I wouldn't normally give any credence to such tales but a. I sort of trust my friend and b. He once told me a tale when he was writing with Paul and Paul got a call off one of his brothers out of the blue asking to borrow tens of thousands of pounds and years after I heard that tale I read a similar story in a Guardian interview with Paul. Anyway take from that what you will it could all be crap, personally I dont know how much I believe.

Dicky B posted:

I enjoyed the period leading up to Lamarr's departure, when he was getting visibly bored with the entire thing and just loving around having standoffs with pirates and assaulting Bill for constantly going on about owls and weasels.

Did Mark Lamarr actually ever care about anything? I remember when he got replaced by Will Self on Shooting Stars and Self seemed to care more, on that note how did Self end up on that show, does anyone know if there's a story behind it, I mean he is one of the most how brow authors who thinks highly of himself, it goes against everything he puts across about himself completely.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Lamar cares about vinyl records, and he used to care about playing them on radio 2. Then he walked into the building after a holiday and they had Elton John's piano in the lobby and he quit on the spot. I think he's still a DJ in london but I really don't know. RIP God's Jukebox anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Nah Will Self loves weird stupid poo poo and is on panel shows pretty often, I still remember the episode of Room 101 he went on where he just started putting every item possible into his drink