Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mr. Squishy posted:

Lamar cares about vinyl records, and he used to care about playing them on radio 2. Then he walked into the building after a holiday and they had Elton John's piano in the lobby and he quit on the spot.

Wait, why did that make him quit? The two don't really seem connected to each other at all to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He didn't like the direction the musical content was going. Thought the piano was a clear sign that they'd given up on being anything other than a soft, classic hits station.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

goatface posted:

He didn't like the direction the musical content was going. Thought the piano was a clear sign that they'd given up on being anything other than a soft, classic hits station.

Which is almost exclusively what R2 has always been. During daytime anyway.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

StoneOfShame posted:

Did Mark Lamarr actually ever care about anything? I remember when he got replaced by Will Self on Shooting Stars and Self seemed to care more, on that note how did Self end up on that show, does anyone know if there's a story behind it, I mean he is one of the most how brow authors who thinks highly of himself, it goes against everything he puts across about himself completely.

I have a pal who like the guardian and constantly bangs on about Will Self articles, but then I always think back to his time on Shooting Stars and prefer remembering that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkSPh5Qq1yQ

Speaking of which, I remember an old video tape of Will Self talking about how much he loves motorways whilst driving around the m25 and at one point gets into the back seat as he lets the car drive itself. Does anyone remember?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
In Marc's defence, the sole direction he was given on Shooting Stars was to sit there and look like he wasn't enjoying himself, which he accomplished with at least 90% success.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Think everybody should watch last nights' episode of 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown, just for Greg Davies doing an impression of Chris Eubank that was so astonishingly poor it nearly made Jimmy Carry wet himself.

It's incredibly funny, and I'm not quite sure why.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Irisi posted:

Think everybody should watch last nights' episode of 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown, just for Greg Davies doing an impression of Chris Eubank that was so astonishingly poor it nearly made Jimmy Carry wet himself.

It's incredibly funny, and I'm not quite sure why.

Can't watch right now, but I'm imagining it being exactly the same as his Peter Andre.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Can't watch right now, but I'm imagining it being exactly the same as his Peter Andre.

For some reason, I read that as Andi Peters. And that made it so much worse/funnier.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Reminds me of the time "They Think It's All Over" nearly booked Joanna Lumley instead of Jonah Lomu.

My girlfriend is enjoying Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell and wants me to watch it too, but it's rubbish, can anyone give me any soundbites to describe it positively in case she wants my opinion? Opinions are hard.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Squalitude posted:

Reminds me of the time "They Think It's All Over" nearly booked Joanna Lumley instead of Jonah Lomu.

My girlfriend is enjoying Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell and wants me to watch it too, but it's rubbish, can anyone give me any soundbites to describe it positively in case she wants my opinion? Opinions are hard.

The book is amazing, but the show seems kinda poo poo after watching the first episode. Read the book, it has good footnotes

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He's confessing to being too lazy to form opinions and your advice is to read an 800 page book.
I'm liking it still, it's good all-the-family fun, CGI is surprisingly not-poo poo, and they're making the sets sing.And I guess I'm a sucker for a mix of Trollope and Harry Potter.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Squishy posted:

He's confessing to being too lazy to form opinions and your advice is to read an 800 page book.

Yeah but it's not like I'm timing her or anything. It took me like 6 months to read on and off

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So TFI Friday is finally back.

It might just be nostalgia but i definitely thought it was one of the best late night shows of its type.

I remember always having the feeling that the celebs liked being there, like they were just hanging about and having a laugh instead of this podium based guff we have these days where it's blatant they're only putting on a happy appearance because they want to flog something.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
It was great, but it was also very much of it's time and place. I'm sure a one off episode will be fine, but I reckon any plans to bring it back properly would fail miserably.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
All I can remember is Slipknot doing 'Wait & Bleed', the cameras getting knocked out in the crowd and Evans getting the name of the single wrong, all before 7pm

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Any good documentaries out this year?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

tekz posted:

Any good documentaries out this year?

Shark has been good so far.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Mickolution posted:

It was great, but it was also very much of it's time and place. I'm sure a one off episode will be fine, but I reckon any plans to bring it back properly would fail miserably.

It was great because of how naive Channel 4 were and how little shits were given by Even's and his gang.

Now Channel 4 is far too clued up and would only allow that kind of poo poo after 11 o'clock in the evening, not 6 o'clock.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
I'm fairly sure if any of you sat down and watched an old episode of TFI you'd cringe all the way through unless forced, zany 90s humour has a cult following itt

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I've just noticed the Spooks movie has been and gone from the cinemas. Did anyone watch it?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah, it was all right. Didn't really watch the TV show though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, it was OK. Pretty basic spy thriller.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Lots of Lamarr talk here, but no mention of his best moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSv1t8YpUJQ

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Squalitude posted:

The first episode is confusing, but it gets good after that. The CGI is working on a budget, but it's never really bad, and the practical effects and costumes are nice. I like how the show will trick you into thinking you're watching a period drama and then suddenly pull out some eerie magic poo poo.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Ghetto Prince posted:

The first episode is confusing, but it gets good after that. The CGI is working on a budget, but it's never really bad, and the practical effects and costumes are nice. I like how the show will trick you into thinking you're watching a period drama and then suddenly pull out some eerie magic poo poo.

Yeah. It's been a decade since I read the book and...wow, I'd forgotten just how gruesome the section where Strange is fighting in the Napoleonic Wars is. His face when he realised he couldn't rid the enemy corpses of their terrible shambling half-life was really well done. Walked the line between horror and black comedy quite well.

Wellington being so grumpy and pragmatic was aces too.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I'm really disappointed at how rushed the adaptation is, but the show won me over with the horse shoal scene.

That and Lascelles/Drawlight are the most perfect casting choices.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

I've just noticed the Spooks movie has been and gone from the cinemas. Did anyone watch it?

If you liked the TV show it is worth a watch. Lots of nods to the past events and characters and is all part of the show continuity.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

Lots of Lamarr talk here, but no mention of his best moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSv1t8YpUJQ

Nah mate his best moment is telling Shabba Ranks he's talking crap

https://youtu.be/eEKC3CaGCV4?t=1m24s

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Mr Beens posted:

If you liked the TV show it is worth a watch. Lots of nods to the past events and characters and is all part of the show continuity.

So is this set before or after London gets annihilated in a nuclear blast and some sexy young agents are forced into service? You forgot about Spooks: Code 9 didn't you? You should never forget about Spooks: Code 9...

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Kin posted:

So TFI Friday is finally back.

It might just be nostalgia but i definitely thought it was one of the best late night shows of its type.

I remember always having the feeling that the celebs liked being there, like they were just hanging about and having a laugh instead of this podium based guff we have these days where it's blatant they're only putting on a happy appearance because they want to flog something.

Will Chris Evans still be hosting? Will it be on at 6pm? It'll be like a weird version of The One Show.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Man Down is back on channel 4. I still like it a lot, because Greg Davies is in it.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Man Down is back on channel 4. I still like it a lot, because Greg Davies is in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl7igzca2_g

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I just watched The Savage Peace. loving hell, that was tough.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Padje posted:

Will Chris Evans still be hosting? Will it be on at 6pm? It'll be like a weird version of The One Show.

gently caress knows but the ads for it already make it look much more interesting than the rest of the shite that's the current friday night lineup.

Remember when it used to be red dwarf, blackadder and bit of TFI or whatever? Friday nights used to be good telly so they did. Now it's loving cakes, panel shows and and reruns of US sitcoms.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
ffs, I thought she was going to live

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 5, 2015

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
finished watching life on mars and it was v enjoyable and funny but the last episode was maybe about 10 minutes too long

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
edit: misunderstood the post

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Is it weird that I think Hoff the Record might actually be good?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Ratjaculation posted:

Is it weird that I think Hoff the Record might actually be good?

I'm worried I'm thinking this too.

Undercover, however, does look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
So I finished watching The Game. I enjoyed it, despite some fairly ludicrous moments in the early episodes throughout. I thought the ending was brilliant, and I really liked the central cast.

Edit: Also just rewatched Jonny Worricker Part 2 and that is good poo poo. Awesome.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 8, 2015