Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd love to see an actual businessman take over Apprentice UK. The US can take Sugar and keep him.

Also, I'd love to live in a world where Vicious is a good, watchable program. Whenever I catch some of it I feel like the majority of people involved are genuinely talented and want the show to be great, but it's covered in that sickly ITV sneer that's impossible to get over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
So MMFD only got 3 episodes to finish? Maybe that's why it felt rushed, clunky, and the writing was poo poo.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

NaDy posted:

To be honest I don't think many people (including me) in the UK had heard of him before the apprentice. I mean who cares about amstrad really?

I don't think the Americans need to have heard of him. He's bossy and British which they seem to love. So far Simon Cowell, Gordon Ramsey, and that record producer guy who did Popstarz have all forged successful careers by being rude to yanks. God bless 'em.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The long arm of the license fee has extended to the BBCi player, meaning people who watch that now have to pay for one, they'd better not extend this to Netflix next the bastards.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07/06/bbc-iplayer-catchup-users_n_7737080.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Oh well, I guess that'll drop my average hours per week from ~2 to none.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
Wow, this is going to make things weird for me - I work in a residential school where we have about 100 students but just one TV - so we only ever had a licence for the one TV room. So now do we have to get every single student a TV licence for their laptop? Or do they share one? How would it work for students in dorms, do they need a TV licence for each person to watch on their computer?

This isn't up anywhere obvious on bbc news yet, is it definitely finalised?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It makes sense that you'll have to pay for watching their programmes (and just theirs, no word about hiding the other channels' equivalents behind the paywall) but it's like, a tiny concession as part of the government's grand new "gently caress the beeb" directive. It's packaged with the government no longer paying the fee for the over-75s.

Noonsaliwah posted:

Wow, this is going to make things weird for me - I work in a residential school where we have about 100 students but just one TV - so we only ever had a licence for the one TV room. So now do we have to get every single student a TV licence for their laptop? Or do they share one? How would it work for students in dorms, do they need a TV licence for each person to watch on their computer?

There are pre-existing arrangements for bulk-licences for hotels and the like but as it'd come to like 9 times as much I guess your lot would balk at it. As for it being finalized, it's not yet, we still have no idea how it's being enforced for example, but I wouldn't bet against it.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 6, 2015

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Noonsaliwah posted:

When I was in uni dorms we had to get individual TV licences, but in a shared student house we only needed one. I think it was because the dorms had locks on the bedroom doors and so counted as individual residences. So yeah, your students will probably have to fork out for a licence each.

I think they can get a refund for the summer months though if they're moving home temporarily.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

NaDy posted:

Fair enough, I'm not into football and was fairly young when the apprentice started so that's probably why!

You've not heard of him because you're young I'd say. Amstrad was huge in the early 90s and late 80s!
My first computer was them.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Taear posted:

You've not heard of him because you're young I'd say. Amstrad was huge in the early 90s and late 80s!
My first computer was them.

Was it overpriced poo poo that didn't work well and was clearly cobbled together by six amateur business-people in a day?

My acumen.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I hope he passes the UK apprentice torch to one of the many former contestants who are now titans of the business world in their own right.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Szmitten posted:

Was it overpriced poo poo that didn't work well and was clearly cobbled together by six amateur business-people in a day?

My acumen.

Not far wrong actually, Amstrad were well known for producing cheap tat that broke after a very short time.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Mr. Squishy posted:

I hope he passes the UK apprentice torch to one of the many former contestants who are now titans of the business world in their own right.

I wonder if they'd give it to Katie Hopkins? As lovely a person as she is the viewing figures would be spectacular.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

netally posted:

I wonder if they'd give it to Katie Hopkins? As lovely a person as she is the viewing figures would be spectacular.

I'd make it my life's work never to watch another second of the show.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

People would tune in for the first couple of episodes and then just switch off in their droves once they realise just how boring Katie Hopkins actually is.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Judge Tesla posted:

Not far wrong actually, Amstrad were well known for producing cheap tat that broke after a very short time.
I'll never forgive them for what they did to the Spectrum.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Did he really sell a hifi with the front facade made to look like separate-brand individual components?

Because that is actually genius.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Judge Tesla posted:

Their early Sky Boxes were loving shocking with the number of issues they had

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Szmitten posted:

My acumen.

The Amstrad CPC 464 was a beast of machine, could do anything the Commodore 64 did but better. Many happy memories coding crappy BASIC games out of a handbook as a nipper. Pretty sure I could dig it out of my mums attic after 30years and it'll work fine

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

J33uk posted:

Their early Sky Boxes were loving shocking with the number of issues they had

It got to the stage where Alan Sugar himself was answering complaints and calls about them on the Digital Spy forums.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

The Amstrad CPC 464 was a beast of machine, could do anything the Commodore 64 did but better. Many happy memories coding crappy BASIC games out of a handbook as a nipper. Pretty sure I could dig it out of my mums attic after 30years and it'll work fine

I've had three and they all eventually died. Which is a shame.

That said my favourite games (lords of midnight and doomdark's revenge) are now available as phone apps so I guess it isn't the end of the world.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mr. Squishy posted:

Would watch so much of Tom Pellereau's the Apprentice :3:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So it's been a while (2011) since this was brought up but Matthew "Applemask" Harris has been going though ITV in the face armed with a significantly better (patreon funded) set up and has been releasing them weekly having just uploaded the fifth one (Yorkshire Television) today.

The TV-AM episode is downright gripping and well worth a watch in of itself.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Applemask is loving great and ITV in the Face is genuinely one of the best things on YouTube. The channel 4 episode is great too

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I really hope 4Sight (which is technicaly not an ITV In The Face but is in all but in name) that's next on the todo list.

Though episodes based on GMTV and CITV which were mentioned in In The Face ver. 1 but never appeared, presumably because of him doing Hard Sell, would be nice too.

Also he knows who dun murdered Reboot over here so he's an aright guy by me :colbert:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 7, 2015

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Haha, indeed

Good shout on The Hard Sell by the way, people here will like that as well.

He's obviously taken inspiration from Charlie Brooker but it doesn't come off like a straight copy and his enthusiasm for the subject makes it all the better.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

thehustler posted:

Haha, indeed

Good shout on The Hard Sell by the way, people here will like that as well.

He's obviously taken inspiration from Charlie Brooker but it doesn't come off like a straight copy and his enthusiasm for the subject makes it all the better.

He is to Charlie Brooker as Gainax was to the stuff that came before them.

I wonder about Hard Sell, the content itself is alright, but the 3D Work is, it's something.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 7, 2015

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Yes, they are weird as gently caress and what bothers me most is the really odd pacing with the editing around them.

Since I actually edit for a living I was tempted to offer my services but I've got too many projects on.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

I just wish these recordings weren't so quiet, and I didn't have to listen to his breathing on the dodgy recording. He really knows his stuff and that in itself is very pleasant to watch but I can barely hear what he's saying, other than the breathing, with everything as loud as it can go.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Steve2911 posted:

I'd love to see an actual businessman take over Apprentice UK. The US can take Sugar and keep him.

they've probably got better things to be doing than presenting a wanky remake of the Generation Game

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Green Wing posted:

I just wish these recordings weren't so quiet, and I didn't have to listen to his breathing on the dodgy recording. He really knows his stuff and that in itself is very pleasant to watch but I can barely hear what he's saying, other than the breathing, with everything as loud as it can go.

Huh. I thought his newer recordings have fixed that.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

1 800 J JAMES posted:

Did he really sell a hifi with the front facade made to look like separate-brand individual components?

Because that is actually genius.

Yes he did. Big empty plywood box with the facade at the front and a tiny slice of actual machinery. Served me well though, copied loads of spectrum games on the tape to tape setup :)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So the ending of My Mad Fat Diary was actually kinda nice :3:

It definitely wasn't as good as season 1, but it did tie up most loose ends, and was a generally happy ending.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

Rarity posted:

Speaking of Fresh Meat, Zowie Ashton's got a new show going on called Not Safe For Work. In a parallel world where Vod grew out of her alt phase and got into government work it makes a good companion piece.

This has actually been pretty good so far. Not sure where it's going, but Vod is good in it and I quite fancy the really annoying girl.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

So People Just Do Nothing starts again on BBC Three on Wednesday.

I totally recommend it. Mockumentary about a group of idiots who run a pirate radio station. The first series is up on iplayer, and it's only 4 episodes. I've been waiting for series 2 for ages.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 13, 2015

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

So People Just Do Nothing starts again on BBC Three on Wednesday.

I totally recommend it. Mockumentary about a group of idiots who run a pirate radio station. The first series is up on iplayer, and it's only 4 episodes. I've been waiting for series 2 for ages.

So excited to see this. My mate is involved with the show. Glad to see its well received.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

ineptmule posted:

So excited to see this. My mate is involved with the show. Glad to see its well received.

Well, you can tell them that at least one anonymous internet person on a forum likes it, so they should continue.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I liked the first series, although it started to feel a bit too David Brent at times. I've noticed that the bloke who plays Chabuddy G is in some new shite adverts, and I'm glad to know that's not all he's doing because he's funny

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!
Are people still watching Humans? What's the consensus on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

It's alright. It's not stellar but it's alright.