Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I know it falls foul of the children's rule but wasn't Five on the production committee for The Tribe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Ive gone back and found the episodes of Taskmaster that I'd missed, and I think it is by far the funniest show on TV at the moment.

Tim Keys cheating is absolutely superb. I cant usually stand Rosheen but she's great here, and Romseshs anger works just right.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

The Big Taff Man posted:

I cant name 5 shows on Channel 5, let alone when you add in that they have to be great, made by them and cant be a kids show.

Last time I checked, 5 was the CSI channel.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Szmitten posted:

outTHERE

Wonder how many goons will remember that.

As a 16 year old at the time, I remember it fondly.

CydonianKnight
May 7, 2007

What do you want? Toothpaste in my eye!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I saw someone putting out a challenge on Twitter that's harder than it sounds.

Name 5 great shows on Channel 5. Has to be made by C5 (no imports), can't be kids shows.

Night fever
The mole
Fort boyard
100%
Whittle
Naked Jungle (kidding)
The royal institution Christmas lectures for a few years back in the day

There's probably 5 in there you can all agree on.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I'm yet to be convinced that Channel 5 is not some kind of front for an extremely long con of some kind.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

CydonianKnight posted:

Night fever
The mole
Fort boyard
100%
Whittle
Naked Jungle (kidding)
The royal institution Christmas lectures for a few years back in the day

There's probably 5 in there you can all agree on.
Fort Boyard is an import.

Had to :eng101: a friend about the history of FB and it's link to Crystal Maze (and CW to Games Workshop) today so yeah.

Go google it, it's a bit bonkers.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Had to :eng101: a friend about the history of FB and it's link to Crystal Maze (and CW to Games Workshop) today so yeah.

The mole is a Belgian show. But maybe bought formats count?

CydonianKnight
May 7, 2007

What do you want? Toothpaste in my eye!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Well in which case this game is impossible as since I don't think channel 5 has an in-house production capability, and almost all of its formats (with the exception of some of its news output) will have been commissioned by the channel but made by independent production companies.

I thought by "import" we were meaning shows like CSI where direct episodes are copied and screened, rather than format buying (a la Fort Boyard UK which was made by Grundy/Freemantle but based on french Adventure Line) where we make our own British episodes.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

thehustler posted:

The Mole was fantastic.

Also I'm voting the entirety of their American Sports coverage. They helped get a load more fans over here.

Jonny Gould and David Langel/Josh Chetwynd wearing tuxedos for the first game of the world series was a personal highlight

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Jonny Gould and David Langel/Josh Chetwynd wearing tuxedos for the first game of the world series was a personal highlight

Haha, yes. I also enjoyed their rating of national anthems

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
And the time the ASG didn't finish till about 6am and they were clearly exhausted but kept going anyway. I'm a baseball fan today because of that show.

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

And the time the ASG didn't finish till about 6am and they were clearly exhausted but kept going anyway. I'm a baseball fan today because of that show.
There was a World Series game that didn't end till gone 7, once; Jonny wasn't able to present Brainteaser that day.

Channel 5 deserve credit for introducing a generation of (invariably) students to US sport :)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Jawidar posted:

There was a World Series game that didn't end till gone 7, once; Jonny wasn't able to present Brainteaser that day.

I remember that game, forget what year it was but I was living with my mum at the time and she was all getting up to go to work as I was finishing watching that. half 7 finish maybe?

They frequently had to give up early on some of the less important games during the regular season if they didn't finish before around 6am. Channel 5 used to use a lot of studios at ITN on Gray's Inn Road because they didn't have many of their own, and ITN could turf them out to set up for early news shows. I think there was some very quick negotiation for that World Series game. Wasn't it on at the weekend? I seem to remember they ditched Milkshake for it.

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007
Wikipedia says that it was Game 3 of the 2005 series, which apparently was a Tuesday (so Wednesday morning our time). Game lasted nearly six hours.

Hilarious looking back what a ragtag operation it was (and all the better for it).

quote:

If a game ever went past 5am, alternative studio arrangements had to be hastily made. An example of this was during Game 5, the last game of the 2000 World Series, in which the presenters, suddenly in a tiny studio without the benefit of monitors to watch the post game presentation, mused on who the MVP may be
I ended up supporting the loving Seattle Mariners because they were good back in 1997, when Channel 5 started showing baseball. :suicide:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I know David Jason often got the plaudits for Only Fools And Horses, but Nicholas Lyndhurst has some amazing comic timing. His reaction shots alone can make a scene all the more funnier.

Been laid up for the weekend and threw the show on and ended up watching most of it, skipping a few. It's amazing how steeply it goes off a cliff towards the end. Whatever gifts John Sullivan had they had truly left him by the time they brought it back around. Even David Jason seemed to forget how to play Del (It's not his fault so much, but his heart clearly wasn't in it). And the addition of the kid is the worst kind of hackneyed sitcom bullshit.

Still, as a time capsule of Britain spanning the early 80s up until 2000s it's pretty interesting viewing. Though I had to do a double take as Albert repeatedly refers to the 'Paki shop'.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Mate, I think you're forgetting about Del-Boy falling through the bar, the 9/11 of British comedy.

Personally I can't watch the episodes with Grandad. Not only are they poo poo, but I find something repulsive about that actor/character. Albert's the man though, and war heroes get a pass on casual racism

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I really don't like Only Fools.

edit - My mum won't even be in the same room as it. She's like me and Downton Abbey.

goatface fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 31, 2015

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Mate, I think you're forgetting about Del-Boy falling through the bar, the 9/11 of British comedy.

Personally I can't watch the episodes with Grandad. Not only are they poo poo, but I find something repulsive about that actor/character. Albert's the man though, and war heroes get a pass on casual racism

Though I couldn't help have that bit in my head when I was watching it, the buildup to that scene is still really well done. And Trigger's reaction makes it.

I don't think the Grandad era is poo poo (First series is so-so), but Grandad has this grating delivery that sounds like a perpetual whine that's really hard to get past.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Only fools was fantastic for its time. It should never have made a comeback, but prior to the last episodes it was consistently funny.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
The theme tune opens with someone singing about a pony in their pocket. To me, a pony is a pony and trap - crap. (Yes, I know it's supposed to refer to money.)

I'm surprised they haven't made endless Christmas specials where Del Boy moves back to gentrified Peckham with hilarious results. The actors don't appear to be very busy. I did meet that Trigger guy at a car show once. Along with Beppe from Eastenders.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

netally posted:

The actors don't appear to be very busy. I did meet that Trigger guy at a car show once.

He certainly isn't doing much at the moment.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Can you confirm: Did he make a face?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm probably late to the party but I just binged watched all of Catastrophe and it was really good.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Can you confirm: Did he make a face?

Yes, whenever the local radio DJ asked him a question. Oh, how the crowd erupted in laughter.

Did anyone watch the Harry and Paul tribute? It was pretty good. I've only really seen their older stuff, so it's interesting to see how they've changed. Plus, anyone who takes a pop at Ricky Gervais is ok by me.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Jawidar posted:

I ended up supporting the loving Seattle Mariners because they were good back in 1997, when Channel 5 started showing baseball. :suicide:

Haha, same here. And also the Supersonics on the basketball side. But that was more because of... grunge. :shobon:

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

The Big Taff Man posted:

Tila Tequila has been kicked out of the Celeb Big Brother house for previously "posing in front of Auschwitz in Nazi gear and claimed to be 'Hitler reborn'."

How did they miss that when they recruited her? Surely it took a two minute google.

It's literally on her wikipedia page.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So ITV in the Face is in the Final Furlong with UTV and props to Harris on handling the issue of the Troubles with due care (in both directions). Didn't know UTV was looking to sell up shop though. Starting to get a bit last bastion of humanity over here in STV.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

That actor, unkind as it may be to say, was a repellent monstrous loving freak. He looked like Captain Black transmuted into something approximating flesh. His acting was still wooden though.

That was John Hensley. I watched The Sopranos last winter and he was in the episode "Happy Wanderer", in series two. He was so bad that he was outperformed by the clunky CGI Ma Soprano that they put in to wrap up the character after her actor died. :laugh:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

ConanThe3rd posted:

So ITV in the Face is in the Final Furlong with UTV and props to Harris on handling the issue of the Troubles with due care (in both directions). Didn't know UTV was looking to sell up shop though. Starting to get a bit last bastion of humanity over here in STV.

It's already on the way to being done. STV remains the last independent part of ITV after Channel went a few years back.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That said if STV goes there's something far more worrying going down than the balance sheets not adding up.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Is Penn and teller no longer on ITV, it seems like it's only on some US station?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

This ITV dinosaur documentary that is half talking heads and half a drama about dinosaurs attacking people is weird, but kind of good.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Do the heads ever talk about how Dinos and man never co-existed?

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Crankit posted:

Is Penn and teller no longer on ITV, it seems like it's only on some US station?

Despite doing quite well ratings wise, certainly better than some of the poo poo ITV have put on on a Saturday night, they cancelled Fool Us.

The CW in America picked up the rights to air the show last summer, and it did so well for them that THEY renewed the show, bringing back Jonathan Ross, but it's all filmed in Las Vegas now. Already been renewed for another season next summer too.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Daedo posted:

Despite doing quite well ratings wise, certainly better than some of the poo poo ITV have put on on a Saturday night, they cancelled Fool Us.

The CW in America picked up the rights to air the show last summer, and it did so well for them that THEY renewed the show, bringing back Jonathan Ross, but it's all filmed in Las Vegas now. Already been renewed for another season next summer too.

That's good, I've been watching some of the new stuff on youtube, and i've been a little confused because they film it in vegas, and then they're talking about the acts if they fool Penn and Teller going to vegas... but they're already there.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
I hope they do a second series of taskmaster, it's brilliant

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Taskmaster might be my favorite show right now. It certainly was the one I looked forward to most each week.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 2, 2015

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Dave Gorman takes over from Taskmaster.

Sad to lose TM, because it was so great, but I'm glad Goodish is back. It's hilarious and also very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Wow, Taskmaster is over already? Time to try out Dave's online service, I missed a couple. Excellent show, Alex Horne deserves a lot of credit, partly for conceiving and planning it, partly for each off-handed sarcastic comment. No way they won't recommission it, seems like it has to be a good return on the money, but I wouldn't be surprised if the lineup changes, if only for matters of practicality. Really hope Tim Key stays, he doesn't get the TV work he should.

But yay for Goodish, I hope at least one episode has him mocking Sir Alan Lord Sugar again.