Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

CJ posted:

I was rewatching the peeing in public episode of Screenwipe just now and apparently after they filmed the episode Charlie brooker and Konnie Huq started dating and are now married. :psyduck:

I hope he asked her out by shouting at her in a childish voice whilst making a face. Then told her to go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

Padje posted:

Please everybody watch Community when it starts on VIVA. It's the closest thing we have to Arrested Development, but probably more appealing to a wider audience, as all the characters look like they've fallen out of different genres, providing different types of jokes (some of which, sadly, are the aforementioned 'you are a black person' jokes).

Chevy Chase hasn't been this funny in decades, and another guy, Danny Pudi, playing a borderline aspie who views everyone else's life as if it's a tv show, is going to be the biggest comic star of the next few years.

I kind of think it's just... alright? More comparable to Scrubs than Arrested Development.

I work for a major defence contractor and have worked with the RAF in the past, but I missed the Dispatches report. Just ordered the book. People have been moaning about it today, though. It's like any other large business though, bloated and overcomplicated and full of poo poo decisions.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

cloudchamber posted:

In the film they mention they're in Brighton.

I thought the film was set in Grimsby? They're on the coast, I think...

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

MannerlyHighbrow posted:

I bet this is the one cocky guy who charges headfirst into the first challenge as project leader and inevitably crashes and burns and blames everyone else.
He is a liar. I invented the bendy-bus.

I hate pretty much all the Apprentice candidates already. Looking forward to next Wednesday!

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
This is England was loving good. Utterly depressing, but brilliant.

Was a bit annoyed at C4 for pretty much spoiling it. Halfway through they announced that there would be "scenes of sexual violence", which was pretty much followed by a scene featuring Lol and her delightful Father.

Wasn't particularly impressed with John Sweeney's Scientology follow-up.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

Junkenstein posted:

I've been mentioning it in here after every episode, but it seems like either no one's watching it or no one likes it.

I love it. Well written, realistic, understated and genuinely funny. It's better than Inbetweeners, and I'm enjoying that well enough.

It's not better than the Inbetweeners. It's a completely different animal. It's nice, and enjoyable, but it's not unmissable.

The Phone Shop trailer looks horrible too, although I was quite surprised they didn't plaster Ricky Gervais' name over that despite how loose his connection to it is. Or maybe that says something about how bad it is.

Todd Margaret is now a US thing? At least Sharon Horgan is still involved.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
I am currently watching Paxman interviewing Russell Brand, and it's delightful. I like Russell Brand, but it's clear who the dominant intellect is despite Mr Brand's forced vocabulary.

Also, our American friends make such a noise about Stewart and Colbert. We have to remember that we have loving Paxman.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

Holy Doughnuts! posted:

I've always loved Milton Jones since I saw him live, once, years ago, for about 5 minutes, and I think he's consistently really good on Mock the Week as well.

That man works hard. There are a LOT of episodes of The Very World of Milton Jones.

Tsaedje posted:

He was on one podcast or another and told an anecdote about himself and Harry Hill before a gig. Hill, who used to be a GP before he went into comedy, told Jupitus "if you want to see your little daughters growing up you should probably think about losing some weight". Jupitus gave the impression that he thought that was out of order.

I heard that. I think it was on Robin Ince & Josie Long's Utter Shambles, which is an excellent podcast. I don't think Jupitus thought it was out of order, he's pretty loving blunt with himself about being a fat gently caress. If you listen to the Perfect 10, he's constantly on diets and usually off alcohol too.

slotbadger fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 22, 2010

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

The pHo posted:

It's a shame, because it's a format we do well but with, generally, terrible guests. With the right mix of both American and British people (e.g. it was evident for a long time that Peter Serafinowicz and Will Arnett got along even before Running Wilde, and it extends beyond those guys)

Just out of curiosity, where was this evident? I can remember a scene in, maybe the Peter Serafonowicz show where they're both strolling with their showbiz wives and bump into each other, but are there any other instances of collaboration?

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

Junkenstein posted:

I had no idea Him off of This Life and Teachers was the main character in The Walking Dead.

Yeah, I was kind of thrown with that too. Same with Combo from off of This is England playing Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire. I think this means they both count as British shows now. Oh, both Boardwalk Empire and The Walking Dead are fantastic. Watch them when they are on!

I really enjoyed The Trip, but I'm a big Coogan/Brydon fan. It's nice to see Coogan not doing lovely American films for the time being.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
Didn't realise there was a new series. Thanks for letting us know.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Wogan was spot on with that "only popular with the public" line. Blunt really does come across as a genuinely decent, funny person, who gets poo poo on by TV personalities because he has a posh voice.* After his last two panel show performances I'd take him over most of the regular circuit guests.

*And his name rhymes with oval office.

I think the main reason he gets poo poo on is because of the horrible, horrible music that is so dearly loved by the public. He is rather good on panel shows, though.

Phoon posted:

I dispute that any of the people on the only connect celebrity special were celebrities.

...Except for Adam Hart Davis.

They're celebrities to the sort of people that watch Only Connect. A columnist for the Independent, a Reverend/Popstar/Newsnight Review regualr, a 6Music DJ, a Documentary Champion, a Poet Laureate, and someone who plays poker with Victoria Coren.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
It was lovely to see my delightful home town of Wakefield on the old goggle box last night. At least I can say hi to the coppers now.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Quick question that I've asked before, but I'd love to hear more opinions: I'm an American who loves QI and likes 8 Out of 10 Cats and also really likes listening to The Unbelievable Truth. Are there any panel shows of similar quality? Radio or TV.

Radio 4 Panel Shows:
  • Heresy
  • Museum of Curiosity
  • I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue
  • Just a Minute
  • The News Quiz
  • Armando Iannucci's Charm Offensive
  • Banter
  • So Wrong It's Right

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

LE0N posted:

Also apparently lee otway is a massive oval office in real life.

Yes, he is. He used to strut his stuff in the many nightclubs of Wakefield. He is most definitely a oval office.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Chris Addison.

Has the BBC decided Andy Zaltzman has "a face for radio"? Why is he never on the panel shows? Think he'd be good in place of Merton.

Chris Addison and Andy Zaltzman currently do an excellent news show for Radio 5, along with thread-confirmed goon-totty Sarah Millican. It is called "Seven Day Sunday". You should all go get the podcast.

slotbadger fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 6, 2010

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

Smeep posted:

I would have sworn I read about a new series, based on the last election. Or maybe it was just a special.

He's definitely doing a HBO show called "Veep" with Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Sounds like The Thick Of It USA.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
Ashes to Ashes is definitely worse than Life on Mars, but the third season was excellent and it really tied things up very nicely.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
I *promise* the ending wraps things up nicely.

Also, this list is pretty much every re-made US TV show.

slotbadger fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 17, 2010

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
Andi Osha is actually alright. Gina Yashere is god awful. Miles Jupp is ace.

As for bad-panel show line-up:

Jack Whitehall, Gina Yashere, Andy Parson, Katy Brand, Janet Street Porter, Patrick Kielty, James Corden, Alan Carr, David Walliams... I could probably think of a few more.

You could probably even add Stewart Lee to that list, he's admittedly terrible at panel shows.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
Just watched the US Shameless pilot... it's actually very good. Despite being pretty much a carbon copy of the UK pilot. This shouldn't work.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

themonkeythatcried posted:

Didn't this thread used to be about TV?

There's a new improv comedy show on BBC2 tonight called Fast and Loose with Hugh Dennis and a bunch of people I've never heard of. Some details can be found here: http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/fast_and_loose/

It looks quite interesting, like an updated Who's Line Is It Anyway?, so I'll be giving it a chance tonight to see how it goes.

Well, Greg Davies is the tall off of We Are Klang and The Inbetweeners, and his stand-up is awesome. Marek Larwood is also in We Are Klang. Laura Solon won the Edinburgh award thing and is in Harry & Paul's latest show. Pippa Evens does the (slightly hit and miss) country music character Loretta main, (Basically a female Otis Lee Crenshaw). David Armand is the guy who dances to the lyrics of torn, and is also in How Not to Live Your Life. I don't really know who the rest of those people are, but it's not a bad line-up really.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

Kid Moe posted:

Simon Amstell guest presenting Buzzcocks tonight with that oval office Noel Fielding replaced by Russel Brand.

Actually it was filmed ages ago but didn't air due to Sachsgate.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

Both were still immeasurably better than loving Miranda, even if you think they were mediocre, which I don't personally. You generalised them way too much as well, both shows had some excellent writing and it's kind of a shame that Amstell wasn't very good at acting but I do think he got better as it went on.

Don't they fulfil completely different needs? I'm no big fan of her sitcom, but I can appreciate it's quite good for what it is. Although Grandma's House should have won.

Miranda Hart as a person, however, is loving amazing.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
Why did people think that "How TV Ruined Your Life" would be shite? When has Brooker put a foot wrong? His part on 10 o'clock was fine, and there's only been one episode... Or is this to do with him retiring his Screen Burn column due to his ever-increasing media presence?

I enjoyed it anyway. Charlie must feel guilty about being paid all that money to tit about. Seems like he compensates by doing massive amounts of research digging through thousands of old ridiculous archived clips, which always pays off as far as I'm concerned.

[edited for sense]

slotbadger fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 26, 2011

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
YHBW was excellent and 10 o clock live is live and has had one episode. Bit early to dismiss it.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

Ratjaculation posted:

Once again I think Adam & Joe summed up Skins perfectly-

Digital skateboard turd spliff text trilby swearing indie-rock community police ponce pub lady

There's a clip here. Anyone who does not like Adam and Joe is wrong.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

Metrication posted:

I don't like Jimmy Carr's suit.

One-button arrogance.

Although I think 10 o'clock live is actually pretty excellent, and should be on every week forever.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

Hoops posted:

Josie Long's too nice.

Have you seen Josie Long in the past few years? She's still whimsically delightful, but now with a massively vehement anti-tory streak. But yeah, that's not entirely appropriate. I mean, 10 o'clock wife is blatantly left-wing, but I like to think there's the guise that it might be all balanced and that.

goatface posted:

Addison could probably hold his own in a big political argument too. Or at least his appearances on various panel shows suggest that he could.

He presents this! If you listen to comedy podcasts, you will appreciate it.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
Damnit, I wish I knew this was on. Hope the BBC makes the full stream available.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

Kin posted:

It's greed in the way that they obviously don't want anyone else to profit from the event. I hardly doubt they have fairness in mind when it comes to ticket allocation, if they did it would be a huge thing they'd be running with in terms of PR against ticket resales.

Buying one ticket per person is something i can understand as a measure to prevent mass purchase and resale, but charging retardedly high fines isn't.

I don't understand why people are bitching at how the Olympic ticket sales are working. A lottery system is fine, far better and safer for the customer than allowing scalping (Even if the proposed "fine" is bullshit unenforceable fear-mongering). I'd rather have a slightly random system where anyone has a decent change of getting into an event for £20 than tickets going for £100+ from unreliable sources.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

N3RDSTER posted:

I know this isn't exactly TV, but I've seen radio chat in here before. Just thought I'd let everyone know that, for comic relief, Radio 1 is trying to break their record for the longest broadcast by one team. Chris Moyles (who I imagine most goons hate) and his sidekick Comedy Dave are attempting to break Simon Mayo's record of 37 hours, and going to try and push through to 52+ hours to break the world record.

Chris Moyles is a tedious oval office. I hope he fails in his record-breaking. I will also settle for exhaustion causing his heart to fail.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

Hoisin Crispy Owl posted:

Christ on a Bike was his Fringe show in 2001, and I think half of the original show is intact, or he's added a lot more stuff. That being said some of the material can be found in TMWRNJ, and maybe even further back. If anyone gets the chance to see COAB still I highly recommend it. I don't know much about the UK comedy circuit but I'd hazard Richard Herring is a very hardworking comedian and he deserves as much exposure as he can get.

In the past five years Herring has put out 5 different stand-up shows (ménage à un, Oh gently caress, I'm 40!, The Headmaster's Son, Hitler Moustache, Christ on a Bike), 2 books (Bye Bye Balham & How Not To Grow Up), Over 200 podcasts (Collings & Herrin, AIOTM), and four radio shows (Richard Herring's Objective, Collins & Herring, TWTTIN, Banter). He also writes a pretty lengthy blog post every bloody day.

Man works hard.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

Padje posted:

His appearance and attire (unwashed, unironed out of fashion suit that doesn't fit right) fit the stereotype well.

He even had his tie slightly undone. He would have been chain-smoking if it were allowed in the studio.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

Ratjaculation posted:

I've been really enjoying Friday Night Dinner. Mark Heap is always fantastic.

What?

What?

What?

I watched the first two episodes and it didn't take. Finished the series off last week, it's actually pretty good. The final episode in particular was excellent.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Louis CK, arguably one of the best stand up comedians working, produces a new hour of material each year. He doesn't reuse anything at all. Once he's performed it he's done.

I'd love to see Peter Kay try that.

Don't quite a lot of comedians produce a new hour of material each year? Tim Vine has at least four hours worth of horrible-yet-amazing jokes. You see the same faces show up at Edinburgh every year with a new set. Most comedians do their job.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007

The Supreme Court posted:

I loved Jason Bourne the first time I saw him :smith:

You mean Jason Byrne, right? Bourne would be rubbish at stand-up.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
SLCV was actually his verbatim stand-up set what he done toured recently, albeit with the Armando bits.

Prefer this to last seasons format. Hope it's not all directly lifted from Vegetable Stew though.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
I love how Stewart Lee fans tend to become blinded and overly worthy due to their own superior comedic tastes and opinions. I know that I instantly dismiss anyone who has ever clapped eyes on Avid Merrion as an insignificant prole. Think I might move on to looking down my nose at Adam and Joe, casting them off as prosaic, banal, time-sinks of no value.

I missed Comedy Vehicle last night, went to see Attack the Block last night. It's very good. There were a gently caress-lot of 16-year old twats in the cinema, waggling their iPhones and talking about Pokemon or whatever. Last time I go at 7.30 on an Orange Wednesday.

slotbadger fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
It's Brass Eye Chris Morris.