Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Just to update on Todd Margaret which was mentioned a few pages pack, it should be surfacing on More4 pretty soon, so keep an eye out for it.

Another comedy from the Comedy Lab that gave us Todd Margaret and PhoneShop, Campus, is appearing in early 2011. The team behind Green Wing is behind it so it could be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Obama's on the Daily Show tonight.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Million pound drop is a suprisingly decent gameshow. I played along online last night which was good fun,

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Jason Mansford quit the One Show after sending more explicit messages to girls over Twitter.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Dappy from N Dubz is doing the Alt. Xmas Speech this year.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Meltdown321 posted:

Did anyone watch an odd little show on CITV called Roger and the Rottentrolls? It was a bit past my time on children`s TV but a friend had it on once and it`s a work of genius.

Yes, I remember this being brilliant for its time. Very clever.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Apparently a maternity nurse from the One Born Every Minute Xmas special is giving the alternative christmas message on Channel 4. Dappy's either doing one on T4 or E4 or something like that.

Still, either is better than Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

HOLIDAYS ARE COMING HOLIDAYS ARE COMING
THE TRUCKS ARE BACK!

Downton is TV crack for anyone over 40. It's the best period drama in a loooong time. It would make a smart gift.

I decided to start watching True Blood tonight with the last two episodes of Series 2. I am an idiot. Still, fun trying to work out who's who and what's going on.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Hey, you know what, You've Been Framed is loving hilarious. Forget all these Rude Tubes and Robert's Webs, YBF is the original and best clip show. Say what you will about Harry Hill but he makes that show ten times more watchable, I randomly tuned in last weekend and laughed a lot mroe than I have at any other recent show (bar the Apprentice).

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I've just seen Robert's Web and Graham Norton make fun of the same Yahoo Answers 'Is there such a thing as gay hips' question.

I'm so loving sick and tired of comedy shows plundering the internet for cheap laughs. The internet is no doubt chock full of hilarity as most of us are aware, however it seems that every comedy show now uses youtube clips and website comments to replace actual content. I'm looking at you Russell Howard's Good News and Have I Got News for You.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Ratjaculation posted:

Haven't seen it posted but Adam and Joe are back on Christmas Day.

Hell yeah!

:siren: Quoting for posterity and importance :siren:

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Battle for Barking on More4 True Stories documenting general election campaigns of Nick Griffin and Margaret Hodge. Very good.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

America has always had a greater proportion of comedy through sitcoms and stand-up. There are a lot of hypothoses as to why this is but I'm going to leave them alone because it spirals into that terrible US humour v UK humour debacle. Suffice to say: countries be different.

(There have been numerous attempts to bring shows like have I Got News for You over to America, I believe pilots were filmed, but they've never really gone anywhere.)

Funnily enough the long running panel show format in the UK is starting to become stale and audiences are starting to get bored or irritated by them while straight stand up has made a massive comeback through Michael MacIntyre and Comedy Roadshow.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Points tend to be an unimportant part of panel shows because they always film more games/rounds than they use and have to cut some, so the points would be all over the place if strictly counted.

The nearest to a US panel show I could come up with was Lewis Black's Root of all Evil which even then was basically their single-player version of Argumental. It was just a way of packaging stand up comedians, but that's what most panel shows are anyway.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

pisshead posted:

I've just realised that Have I Got News For Your and Russel Howard's Good News are the same programme with different presenters.

And Robert's Web is Harry Hill's Internet Burp.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Some Strange Flea posted:

I can't get Harry Hill's Ken! out of my head after catching it on a Corrie thing with Paul O'Grady.

It's on his new Christmas album if you're so inclined to want a permanent copy.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Graviton v2 posted:

Anyone know if UK on demand ratings count towards the official ratings these days?

I ask cos I pretty much only watch TV on demand on the net.

The regular BARB ratings that are published in newspapers and often quoted by the media are just the TV ratings and are published the morning after a show is broadcast (aka overnights).

Broadcasters also receive a consolidated report 8 days after transmission that includes 7 days worth of on demand viewing figures.

Over time hopefully these consolidated figures will become more important as popular shows can rack up tens and even hundreds of thousands of extra views over the course of a week.

Anyway, yeah don't worry your viewing is measured.

reality_groove fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 20, 2010

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I thought Come Fly with Me was quite funny. Some bits had me in stitches (mostly the ethnic minorities, does that make me a bad person?)

(Yes, it does.)

Eastenders was disappointing,no baby deaths or anything.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I really enjoyed Penn and Teller's show, although it's a shame they don't explain how the tricks are done, you have to kind of believe that they know what they're talking about. I made me wish for the glory days of BREAKING THE MAGICIANS CODE: MAGICS GREATEST SECRETS FINALLY REVEALED WITH THE MASKED MAGICIAN AND SKINNER FROM XFILES. That man had the sexiest assistants.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I was in the studio audience for an episode of Fast and Loose, like all improv shows it's a hit and miss bunch depending on the talent of the performers (mixed) and the potential of the rounds (mixed).

There was some really lazy "in a variety of movie genre" and "answer questions in character" stuff and a really bizarre round where the comedians' faces were mapped on to CGI animals which really didn't work. On the other hand there was some fantastic stuff especially when Greg and Marek were paired together obviously. Hugh is a great host as well.

Oddly they had a few singers there who I think were from one of those improvised musical troupes who did a few rounds and were far moer talented than the regular players.

Hopefully it will find it's niche over time as they work out which rounds work and which don't.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

It was the one "piloted" by John, the Tracey that even Gerry Anderson didn't like. Which actually makes it fit Channel 5 all the more.

Haha, that reminds me I must crack open my Thunderbirds DVD boxed set. It was my favourite TV show growing up.

The Guardian was reporting that Dicky Desmond is bringing a TV version of OK magazine, possibly to replace Live from Studio 5. One can only hope it won't try to masquerade as news programming like its predecessor.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I think a lot of you have pointed out a lot of the preliminary flaws with 10 o'clock live but here's a few more:

There's absolutely no reason this show needs to be live. It puts unneccesary pressure on the comedians and mucks with the pacing. Tape it the night before or on the day.

Scheduling it opposite Question Time and Newsnight is ballsy but is it wise?

The set looks like a Saturday morning kids show from 10 years ago. Where's the faux professional set from the adverts?

More interviews and chats, less 'bits'.

They need to structure the show more around the comdians' strengths. Keep Carr to the headlines/punchlines stuff, keep Mitchell for interviews and debates, let Brooker rant and use Laverne to link between segments.

They should bring in bring in guest comedians who have satirical backgrounds such as Andy Zaltzman, Marcus Brigstocke etc. who are used to riffing on current events. It would be brilliant if they could get someone to represent the Conservative viewpoint. All British comedy is very left wing at the moment, we need somoene from the other side even if it's in a Colbert style pastiche.

reality_groove fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 21, 2011

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

That's the problem, when you watch HIGNFY and Mock the Week and listen to The News Quiz and The Now Show and whatever other topical stuff is around you hear the same jokes made about the same targets and it's all quite liberal.

I don't know if there is a solution, maybe it's just the angle I'm looking at things. It's like how every comedian seems to be aetheistic and making jokes about the catholic church but no-one's making jokes about atheists.

Perhaps my idea of comedy harmony is a pipedream.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Comedy is still such a male-oriented landscape that when a show like Miranda turns up that women like more than men, people respond strangely. It's really not that bad. It might not be a goon favourite but it earned and grew it's audeince.

If the British Comedy Awards proved anything it's that 2010 was a very very very thin year for TV comedy.

I'm suprised they didn't create a new category for Best Appearance at The Apollo or on A Roadshow or Best Panel Guest since that seems to be the way comedy is going at the moment.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Metrication posted:

Oh no they're still doing the Carr news round up at the start.

Where else would you put headlines?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

What's happened to Masterchef? Has it always had the cooking equivalent of an X Factor auditions stage complete with family members hanging around to celebrate/commiserate hopefuls? So bizarre.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Guys, Dispatches blew open a huge scoop last night.

Hospital food. Is kind of lovely.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Friday Night Dinner starts tonight at 10pm. It's nothing groundbreaking and nowhere near laugh out lound funny as the Inbetweeners, but is very well put together and does the 'aren't families weird' stuff very well. It's written by Look Around You's Robert Popper, stars Simon Bird basically being Will, Jim Rosenthal's son, Tamsin Grieg and Paul Ritter.

Also the indescribably talented Mark Heap is a creepy neighbour.

And the first episode has Matthew Holness aka Garth Merenghi in a guest role.

I think it's a grower.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Are there any movie review/news shows on TV anymore (apart from Film 2011)?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

For any feature doc fans, last year's Oscar winning The Cove is being repeated on More4 tonight at 10.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

:siren:
ADAM AND JOE
are back at 6 Music

From April

For realsies this time

:siren:

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Apparently a global version of the Iplayer is coming, allowing dirty foreigners of all kinds access to our wonderful imperial programming for a few sheckels per month.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Crufts starts on More4 tonight.

I only mention it because everyone thinks that Crufts isn't shown anymore because it's not on BBC.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Eurotrash

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I think there's a great fear within television that putting up all popular TV shows on the on-demand players will kill ratings of daytime and repeats and everyone will realise how little original content is on tv nowadays. It certainly seems to explain why broadcasters are taking retarded babysteps instead of embracing a completely now format of viewing.

The one big hope for a sensible on demand viewing is YouView which should be rolled out at the end of the year.

(This is all conjecture on my part btw.)

By the way, I can highly recommend Katie Piper: My Beautiful Friends which starts at 9pm on 4 tomorrow. My cousin is in the first episode and it's incredibly honest and heart-warming.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

You also have to remember that one of the conditions of the BBC getting all of our lovely licence fee money is that they have to cover areas and audiences which aren't commercially attractive or popular. Which is why you get BBC Alba and BBC Four and BBC Parliament and the shipping forecast and Radio 3 Folk Music awards. If the BBC didn't do that stuff, no-one would.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

MY FAMILY HAS BEEN CANCELLED

You can all leave your bunkers now. A new world awaits us.

Also, very early on Sunday morning there's a show on C4 called Crunchtime about a competition held in Dundee between groups of students to design a computer game in 10 weeks. I know there are a lot of Dundee goons around so you'll probbaly recognise a lot of faces and places.

reality_groove fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 25, 2011

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I still find it odd when I see Lizo on the 10 O'Clock News and he's not talking about Harry Potter or David Beckham.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Apart from Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, are there any other goons working at TV production companies? My internship is finishing soon and I want to get my CV out there as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Oh god I've missed Adam and Joe so much. I just watched that Jools Holland episode that Adam was talking about and it was pretty hilarious.

Especially how you can still hear them playing when he goes over to introduce Elbow. I like to think they kept playing through the entire of Elbow's set, but they just turned the mics off.

Why be Denny Different? WHY?