Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Sion posted:

Hollyoaks is deeply, deeply challenging. It forces the viewer to question everything, even the very fabric of reality.
I like the way that in the first couple of minutes of Hollyoaks they try to have this weird sort of arty, different opening for every episode. It's poo poo, pretty much every time, but I appreciate the effort.

also I've been wanting to watch Red Riding for ages, still not got round to it though. Maybe this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Brown Moses posted:

Was that Karl Pilkington thing on Sky One last night?
going to guess yes because it is apparently on Sky2 later tonight at 11pm

e: it's actually a half hour preview show, not the actual thing

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 6, 2010

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
baseball generally sends me to sleep too

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

meme posted:

I'm sad the old thread has gone :(

Ah well. Looking forward to the next few months, some good TV to be viewed, Inbetweeners and QI I'm especially looking forward to.
new Misfits in November as well :neckbeard:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Rory McGrath has always come across as a bit of a oval office to me on QI, would not be at all surprised if it was him

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
QI isn't just about being funny though, it's often not very funny but obviously makes up for it by being very interesting.

Anyway, they're both far from being the unfunniest things on TV. Ever watched Miranda?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

The Perfect Element posted:

What did everybody think of This Is England 86, then? I thought it was about on a par with the movie, and I'm fairly sure it's gonna get much more intense as more episodes come out.
I enjoyed it a lot. Hard to compare to the film because I've not seen it for ages and also, it seems different in some way. But yeah I'm sure things will get more interesting as it progresses.

Nice to see Chris from Skins getting good work as well, always thought he was the best actor in his 2 series

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Dell_Zincht posted:

The first part of This is England '86 was brilliant. Funny and touching at the same time.

Who's the guy who played the bully ordering Shaun to insult that girl? Because I thought he was fantastic.
No idea but yeah, he was really funny. And like I said, his mate was Chris from Skins, would like to see him get a few more lines.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I bet Americans probably like him, they think he's a nice English chap what's on the telly and that's it. Little do they know... :negative:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Some Strange Flea posted:

I was actually thinking this exact thought earlier today. The most plausible reason is that it's not real.

Derren Brown annoys me because so much of what he does is completely batshit and beyond the realm of an illusionist and yet I'm compelled to believe it's true for no real reason other than wishful thinking. "There's no way that guy on the plane and his family were all actors because that would be so lame." "Oh man, that would totally suck if his Lottery prediction was just a camera trick." This kind of bullshit logic must be how cults and MLMs and poo poo get popular. :(
same here

and there's a bit in one of his books about the use of actors or stooges:

wiki posted:

Brown claims to never use actors or "stooges" in his work. In Tricks of the Mind, Brown writes that such a ploy is "artistically repugnant and simply unnecessary"; furthermore, he "would not want any participant to watch the TV show when it airs and see a different or radically re-edited version of what he understood to have happened

But then he would say that he doesn't use actors, whether he does or not, and he's built an amazing reputation up so people are likely to believe him. Hard to know what to think but I'd rather believe it's not just a con because he clearly is incredibly skilled at what he does and it would just be a bit poo poo if some of what he does is all faked

the lottery thing was a camera trick though blatantly

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Am I alone in thinking that new Inbetweeners wasn't that good? I did enjoy it but I seem to remember the first series being a fair bit funnier, possibly I'm just imagining that though

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 14, 2010

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh god, should I ask?

And I do hope that we get decent ending for a couple episodes for Will and company.
So do I but I don't think there will be one, they will always gently caress everything up in the end somehow. Really would be better if a few lasting good things happened to them though, if it's just relentless humiliation it kind of takes the fun out a bit.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

henpod posted:

I'm really liking it, all of the characters are very well acted and I dig the cinematography also. The only problem is they have too much 'Lol' acting all moody and bitching/being emo.
yeah I agree with this, tbf Woody did freak out at their marriage and the flat he bought is shite but he's really good to her otherwise and she just calls him a dickhead all the time and storms about in a mood. And now she's gone and shagged his best mate and all. Women eh

also, predicting that Combo returns and has changed his ways and tries to make peace but they're having none of it and then a bad thing happens

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
tim westwood might be so bad he's good though

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

ibroxmassive posted:

Wait Virgin Media sold Virgin One to BskyB who renamed it to Channel One and then killed it?
that appears to be the case

it literally only just got rebranded though, like last month. And now it's dead. what the gently caress sky

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Adrianics posted:

That episode of The Inbetweeners wasn't as out-and-out funny as I'd like and the ending was way too much (it's seriously reaching Peep Show levels in terms of misery for the main character) but holy poo poo I think that's the most accurate portrayal of the first drugs experience I've ever seen in any medium.
I thought Will's experience was terribly unrealistic, kind of ruined it for me although I think a lot of it was funnier than last week's episode.

Also I like that Simon has a hot girlfriend but ultimately it'll obviously end in some horribly embarrassing way which is a bit annoying. Some embarrassment is fine but like you said, it gets a bit much and detracts from the whole show if it's just non-stop misery and humiliation

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Phoon posted:

They sometimes show the British versions. They are infinitely more hilarious.

Once I watched an upper class girl ride into a tent on a horse painted like a zebra. She was angry she couldn't get an actual zebra.
I love the UK version, it is amazing, probably because of how I can actually relate to the people in it. I saw one once where it was a rich girl from Cheltenham, which is very close to where I live, and everyone in it was just the exact kind of slightly snobby idiot that I've met many times before. Needless to say it was brilliant

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
smoking weed could make you vom anyway I guess, especially if it's your first time and you'd been drinking too

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Akuma posted:

Ahhh, I don't think I was paying enough attention. Thanks.
Really? Bit of a stretch...
less of a stretch than "please get me my mummy I can't control my arms anymore"

and I guess also it would be possible to get high off of only that much if it was strong and they'd not done it before. It wasn't that which brought it down for me at least, it was Will's silly experience.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

John_Anon_Smith posted:

will would have been funnier if he hadn't gone random arms mental. that's way too much energy for someone hosed on weed
its just not something weed would do to you

I know it's just a sitcom but when it's shows like Peep Show or Inbetweeners that sort of rely on a sense of realism that you can usually relate to, it's a bit irritating when something unrealistic or over the top happens. It was still a very funny episode though

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

The Perfect Element posted:

Pretty much the only show which has portrayed pot in a realistic light is Spaced, I think. They just casually smoke joints and don't act like twats, unlike in virtually every other show ever made.
the one where Daisy goes to an interview when really stoned was actually quite a realistic depiction of what it can be like when you're high and paranoid and need to act normal

plus it was hilarious obviously

"did you say "girl power?"

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Neris posted:

Yes yes but it's just not very Peepshow or subtle or realistic or based on sliiightly exaggerated cringe situations that very awkward people encounter. It was just completely over the top and unbelievable, regardless of how funny it is or isn't.
yeah thats the thing, and Inbetweeners sort of sometimes veers into that territory as well and it's a little disappointing

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
only seen the first two eps of Him and Her but it's pretty enjoyable, best BBC3 thing in a while probably

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

slotbadger posted:

I am currently watching Paxman interviewing Russell Brand, and it's delightful. I like Russell Brand, but it's clear who the dominant intellect is despite Mr Brand's forced vocabulary.

Also, our American friends make such a noise about Stewart and Colbert. We have to remember that we have loving Paxman.
it's a really weird interview, Brand seems so cartoonish even though he's trying to be serious and he's talking to bloody Paxman.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
yeah this was the best Inbetweeners episode for a good while I think, absurd but still fairly believable and lots of the jokes were fantastic. Hope they keep up that quality for the rest

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
the silly thing is that Simon obviously knows Jay is a huge bullshitter yet he continues to take his awful and ridiculous advice

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

A5H posted:

Hahahaha this is the best thing to ever come from the x factor:

:nws: http://www.buzzfeed.com/empressmaruja/x-factor-reject-abbey-johnstone-goes-topless-for-t-1fox
i literally can not imagine how that has happened

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
i've only seen Harry and Paul once ages ago, thought it was awful. Shame because The Fast Show is really good

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Smeep posted:

I've just started watching This is England '86 and I'm a little underwhelmed (and a little lost). Should I watch the movie before going any further into the series?
yes

it's a really great film and everything will make far more sense

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

bhlaab posted:

American Q- Who the gently caress is Jeremy Kyle and why does the british public accept the 'tough guy telling it like it is' schtick from such a god drat weiner.

When he got hit and turned around like "ooo you done it now mate" it was absoloutely pathetic. Do people there actually buy that crap?
of course they do, he's hugely popular despite being such an obvious bellend. But it's hardly like this is a uniquely British thing, everywhere has stupid people who like terrible TV personalities

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
tbh the only positive thing about The Jeremy Kyle Show is that it makes me feel good about myself when compared to the mutants who go on

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

bhlaab posted:

I suppose my point is that our daytime crap presenters tend to hide behind a veil of compassion, concerns over society...
Jeremy Kyle does that in bucketloads too, though

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Another thing is that everybody knows what they're in for if they go on the show, I don't know why they all act surprised and indignant they get screamed at for having affairs when he's been through that process on thousands of other shows.
presumably they get paid for it, it's the only reason that so many cunty "possible dads" would go on it for

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Al2001 posted:

Tried to watch that Him and Her thing but couldn't really do it. My friends are alot more entertaining than that when drunk. Is it meant to be a comedy or a drama or both? All the characters seemed really dull and self-absorbed.
it's a comedy, suppose it's fairly subtle though. How much have you watched? It's intentionally meant to follow a couple of rather uninteresting people doing uninteresting things, but the humour kind of lies in that. If you don't get it after watching a few episodes you may as well give up because it doesn't change a lot, but I really enjoyed it after just the first episode and the quality is consistent throughout.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
At least Frankie Boyle genuinely has a very quick wit, most of the people on Mock The Week don't seem to

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Akuma posted:

Sean Lock is pretty much the same way. I know some people don't like him but I think he's consistently hilarious on every panel show he's on, but his stand up is just... wooden, and he doesn't seem very comfortable with it, and it's kind of boring.
really? Sean Lock's standup is one of the only standups I actually like, I think he's excellent.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

pisshead posted:

Just been watching the second-division game on BBC2, and I can't help noticing that Sky's non-league converage has better production values. It's like they've given the camera to some random drunk in the crowd.
makes it a more authentic viewing experience

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

SeanBeansShako posted:

I don't see the hate for Gavin and Stacey. It is okay to watch.
yeah, I think it's alright

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
they look like American actors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

keveh posted:

Jonathan Creek is bloody brilliant. I did something similar to you, my girlfriend had watched a good few episodes and I'd never seen it, so got the box set and watched one or two a night.

I think that they are shooting a new series soon, or may actually be in the process already. Can't wait!
that's good news, I love Jonathan Creek

I can never guess any of the mysteries though :negative: