Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Trin Tragula posted:

The one good thing Channel 5 ever did was the British version of The Mole, which was absolute genius but died after two years because no fucker watched it because it was on Channel 5 :argh:
drat straight. I remember being 9 or 10 and squinting at it with the family because this was back in the days before digital was commonplace and our old TV aerial barely picked up that bloody channel.

When it was canceled I spent the next few years in denial because there were contestant calls for Series Three drat it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Cerv posted:

You've got to be loving joking. Please?
I'm sorry.

I'm so so sorry.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

made of paper posted:

Yes, or they are so meek they just go along with it as to not embarrass anybody.
"I don't want to be the one guy who makes Derren Brown look bad" thinks the man, whilst Derren narrates "Now this man isn't afraid of being the one man who stands up".

I think Derren Brown can make people do things through the sheer power of his own reputation at this point.

Russ posted:

Derren Brown's countdown is on!!! In the next 30 days he's going to follow someone else and make them a hero too!!! It could be you!!!
I think the idea was more along the lines that now people are going to seize opportunities for themselves now that they think Derren Brown might be involved. They'll make heroes out of themselves! It's inspirational don't you see?!

e: Also the pilot looked like Leslie Nielsen which kind of killed the mood because I kept expecting him to say, "I just wanted to tell you good luck. We're all counting on you."

Some Strange Flea fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 8, 2010

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Lady Galaga posted:

That Derren Brown thing was pretty crazy, but how can that dude sign up for TV Show and go to interviews but cant do the same for switching to a career in the Police?
I was actually thinking this exact thought earlier today. The most plausible reason is that it's not real.

Derren Brown annoys me because so much of what he does is completely batshit and beyond the realm of an illusionist and yet I'm compelled to believe it's true for no real reason other than wishful thinking. "There's no way that guy on the plane and his family were all actors because that would be so lame." "Oh man, that would totally suck if his Lottery prediction was just a camera trick." This kind of bullshit logic must be how cults and MLMs and poo poo get popular. :(

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I want to watch THE CUBE but UTV have decided that Tuesday at 11:05pm is a better time slot than Sunday primetime.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Fat Turkey posted:

Seems harsh that 4OD can have so many programs up for free streaming, but the BBC don't have anything like that for their own content, especially after the taxpayers have paid for it anyway.
I don't know the entire story but I gather that this is all Murdoch's fault somehow.

e: also yeah the money vvvvvv

Some Strange Flea fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 26, 2010

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
The same background music is being used for the adverts for QI and Rude Tube.

Something is not right in the world of TV.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
TV Burp is getting worse. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad which is bad because it used to be all good, all the time.

I think there's too much reliance on callbacks and poo poo like that. Yes, Heather from EastEnders is an unattractive woman but I don't need to see some fat gently caress dressed up like her acting like a moron every time something vaguely food-related happens.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

A5H posted:

Did anyone see that essex thing? What the gently caress?! It just seems like hollyoaks or something. No way that that's not 90% scripted or something.
Oh lord yes. It would be like The Hills with colour balance all wrong, except this show starts and ends with an announcer desperately yelling "THIS IS REAL" and not convincing anybody.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

seregrail7 posted:

TV Burp is great so far this week.
Much better than last week. Maybe ran the The Rectangular Cuboid jokes too long but still pretty good.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Kin posted:

Have I got news for you; You have been watching; The Bubble; Mock the week; Would i Lie to you. Amongst others.
Took me three reads to realise that "have i got news for you" was one of the examples you were giving and not just a smug sentence opener.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Ddraig posted:

I remember his segment on Gameswipe about how he couldn't get past the berserker in gears of war.
Can't get to Manhattan in GTA4 either. Poor Dara.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Fatkraken posted:

The apparent target audience was about 13, but this was on primetime BBC3.
Makes sense to me.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

reality_groove posted:

I'm looking at you Russell Howard's Good News
Good News gets a very, very tiny excuse because a lot of its stuff is user-submitted so of course it's gonna be from poo poo like failblog.

Of course, this still leaves the huge problem of a stand-up comedian getting the general public to tell him about funny things instead of, you know, the exact reverse of that.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Guys, there's a thread for this.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Leyburn posted:

No, he's the Scottish Jimmy Carr.
Jimmy Carr has released a DVD in early November every year since 2004. I've watched a few of them, but I gather from this that a lot of his stuff is recycled?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

paint dry posted:

Ann "global warming doesn't exist and gays shouldn't have equal rights" Widdecombe is out of Strictly Come Dancing, which is cause for celebration even if you don't watch it.
She is a joke and a pretty funny one. Listening to her pull the "let's see you do better" card week on week was starting to tire though so eh, not really going to miss her.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I hope the tram conductor wins a BAFTA because that was some amazing button pushing.

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

The effects on Corrie tonight were piss poor, it looked like stopmotion from the 60's.
I remember reading somewhere that it cost around a million pounds. Whether that means the stunt, the scene, the episode, whatever, I'm not sure.

A million pounds.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I can't get Harry Hill's Ken! out of my head after catching it on a Corrie thing with Paul O'Grady.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just a few more years until those shows run out of steam, a few more years!
X Factor and BGT are contracted to run until 2013.

So, uh, a few more than a few more years.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

My girlfriend made me watch the christmas special, and I honestly couldn't believe that anyone would buy it as real. Do they? Are there people at home thinknig this is a fly on the wall thing? Or is it all some sort of meta joke thing?
The official line is something like "They're real people, but some things that they do are made up!" which is as vague as it could possibly be without ending with "OR ARE THEY?"

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Paperhouse posted:

Friends is being axed from C4 and E4 sometime this year, not sure exactly when though.
I can narrow that down to "summer sometime".

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Kin posted:

HIMYM is compared to friends (particularly so by E4)
E4 really didn't do HIMYM any favours with that bullshit. I remember one of their first ads literally talking about Ross I MEAN TED and Joey ahem Barney and when I actually watched it it seemed like a really dumb comparison to make.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

DaWolfey posted:

That whole mystery adjudicator thing, what the gently caress was that about? Some guy in Rosses ear who he uses to gloat "Nope guys! He beat you!" Seems like some sort of misdirection to me :colbert:
It wasn't made very clear on the show, but I think the adjudicator was someone well versed in magic who had been told the secrets of each act in advance, so they could verify Penn & Teller's answers in case some prick just went "Nope guys, you're wrong! Take me to Vegas!". There was some miscommunication between Ross, P&T and the adjudicator between concepts which I can only assume are fairly similar, but Ross acted like a twat about it.

It was definitely a lame thing and cutting "backstage" didn't really help.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
WNN! was poo poo and Holiday Hotspots was kind of lame. Mitchell's debate around the table with the ex-banker and the other folk was far, far too short considering the number of people actually involved. The highlight for me was definitely Brooker's Newswipe style spiel about Tunisia (line flubbing aside). Everything else was pretty decent.

Hopefully they'll be able to distill it down to just the things that worked over the next fifteen weeks, but I could see a lack of willingness to drop pre-recorded material loving that up a bit.

Oh, and the audience needs to shut the gently caress up. Laughing is fine, but going WOOOOOOOO in the middle of a Serious Conversation is not only kind of retarded but actually wastes a fair bit of time, which they already have precious little of.

luvd posted:

Not getting the Carr hate.
I like Carr, but I definitely think that Mitchell and Brooker could carry a show like this between the two of them. Mitchell's definitely a lot better at reading off an autocue than when he was hosting The Bubble too, so that's nice.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Episodes has it's own thread but it is not a particularly active one. I think it's decent, but the network executive guy is far too two-dimensional and basically just a plot device to get people mad at each other. Matt LeBlanc is definitely the strongest part of it, as far as I'm concerned.

e:

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Geordie Shore
But we already had that Essex show and it was awful!

Won't you people ever learn?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Just out of curiosity, what's the general feeling about that radio show what he did? So Wrong It's Right. I thought it was pretty funny!

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Well it might.

And lo the opinion quota is filled.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

DaWolfey posted:

Instead he's stuttering out what he wants to say, he's making statements rather than asking questions. He's just listening, paralysed with no angle to make a joke.
Absolutely. He's trying too hard to have an opinion and "do" the interview than being funny.

I'd almost go so far as saying he's maybe too polite?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Mitchell at the roundtable coming up a funny thing about Alastair Campbell. Should have said it at the time, silly!

Oh, and am I just imagining it, or does the pace seem slower and calmer this week than the franticness of last week?

edit: I'm liking the Carr interview a lot better than the Mitchell one!

Some Strange Flea fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 27, 2011

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Irisi posted:

I have no idea why these people talk about being too embarrassed to go to their GP with their terrible bisected vaginas/prolapsed rectums/warty penises, but will quite happily go on national telly and flash them to the world.
They must get paid, surely. Otherwise it makes literally no sense, at all.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Meanwhile on Tool Academy:
The Maturity course involves carrying sandbags equal to the exact weight of their girlfriends over a mile and reading out a eulogy for their girlfriends at a fake funeral.

What the poo poo?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

I just wish they'd drop the live studio audience at the start when they were introducing themselves they were louder than the presenters.
I could have sworn Lauren's mic was busted but it could just be the crowd being obnoxious.

Also the other thing that's bugging me about 10 O'Clock Live is how Jimmy seems to be using the "look towards crowd then make a bewildered face to the camera" thing after at least half the jokes in his monologue bit. I mean, it's kind of funny, but it probably won't stay funny.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Gelf posted:

God Jimmy Carr is increasingly becoming the weakest link for 10 o'clock live.
Jimmy Carr is the new Lauren Laverne and Jimmy Carr.

Tom Cruzizgay, seriously?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

The Supreme Court posted:

Lauren Laverne's slideshow
Oh christ I completely forgot about that. That was loving awful.

It was a god drat PowerPoint presentation.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
10 O'Clock Live seemed to go by without a whine this week. All I will say is that everyone has already heard the one about the Olympic logo looking like Lisa Simpson sucking someone off and people need to stop telling it.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
QI starting basically right now, just in case you were all wondering?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Dear lord, does Matt Berry do the voiceover for everything now? Is the E4 guy retiring or something?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Strom Cuzewon posted:

And, hilariously, even if you DO watch live you'll be covered by your home's license provided the laptop isn't plugged in. Gotta love loopholes.
Seriously? That's excellent!

When you say "plugged in" do you mean to mains electricity or to a wired internet connection (or both)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Lord Dekks posted:

Beckham [...] of Peckham
Heh.

I know exactly what you mean though. "2012 countdown ready to go" was one that caught my attention. The article was not about the Apocalypse but instead about Olympic tickets going on sale.

The meltdown stuff in particular is... well, not exactly annoying me but certainly raising a couple of my eyebrows. It'll be mentioned in the article that a meltdown "like Chernobyl" is highly unlikely whilst vaguely implying elsewhere that Hey! This is kind of like Chernobyl you guys! The Tokyo situation comes on the International Nuclear Events Scale at around a four but some guy said it might be a five or six oh btw Chernobyl was a seven THAT'S KIND OF CLOSE OH NO Get your jet black hair dye and razorblades at the ready because HERE COMES THE FALLOUT, BOY.