Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
For 2011 I'm greatly looking for to the new series of the Thick of it (I'm wondering if they will bring back Malcolm in the official opposition) and that new Jewish sitcom Friday Night Dinner. Will be interesting to see what it's like compared to Grandma's house which was so much like my own family that they even had some of the same furniture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I seem to remember watching Little Britain and amongst the unfunny catchphrase comedy you would very occasionally get a clever and funny line that wasn't picked up on by the canned laughter. Then it would return to catchphrases again.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

midge posted:

I left the UK a year ago. Does it have any decent comedy from the last year I should download?
Series 6 of Peep Show, Grandma's House, Newswipe with Charlie Brooker.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Megaterium posted:

Did anyone else check out Episodes? I quite enjoyed it but not as a comedy, I'm more intrigued as to how the show just gets progressively worse.

I felt this way as well. Struck me as being more of a lighthearted drama than anything else but it was still entertaining .

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Mickolution posted:

I'd be very surprised in Boardwalk Empire's second series started in America less than a year after the first. HBO series usually have around 18months between series except Entourage which is only 30min episodes.

The ads for Sky Atlantic claim they'll have Mad Men series 5. I think 4 is on BBC now, isn't it? They bid 25% or so more than BBC, so they're going for this big time even beyond the HBO deal, which looks like cracking value on it's own.

I vaguely remember that that beeb starting showing series 4 of MM when it was finishing in the States?

Mad Men is only contracted for 5 seasons with AMC, but I believe there's discussion about doing a sixth. Anything beyond that would ruin it for me and turn it into a soap opera. I really can't believe they would want to take it into the 70s (I wouldn't want them to either to be honest).

I recall Sky saying there would be some original content on Atlantic at well so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out..

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

I'm often left wondering how all these poo poo digital channels make any cash. Shopping channels have an obvious income but other ones have such low viewing figures I can't see how they make any money at all.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Does anyone remember the old super serious Horizon format?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

goatface posted:

You mean when it was good?

Basically.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

lionlegs posted:

Yes, that was an excellent episode. The final part of the programme asked all the leading nuclear physicists to predict when the first drop of nuclear fusion power would feed into a national grid. I've still the episode, and occasionally dig it out to remind me of their estimates.

What was their verdict? 100 years?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

I love Nathan Barley. I'm actually rewatching it on 4od right now. Benedict Cumberbatch is the accountant for the guy that offers the film grant. I like the way, despite Nathan being an appalling human being he always wins.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 18, 2011

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Jonattan Yeah? is my favourite character. I kind of get the impression he has the same opinions as Dan but chooses to act like an idiot.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

slotbadger posted:

Actually it was filmed ages ago but didn't air due to Sachsgate.

Shame. I miss Amstell as presenter.

Some of the guest presenters are loving terrible, James Corden and Catherine Tate are probably the worst I can think of.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

goatface posted:

254 flu deaths in the UK from "this outbreak".
The BBC report includes the important numbers in the middle of their online report.

Assuming the percentages flow, H1N1 has killed 40 people who weren't considered "at risk". Brooker normally likes pointing out media panic at things like this.

He wrote an article in his Guardian website section when swine flu started about how he wasn't going to criticise news coverage of it at that stage. I don't know wether he's changed his mind or not though.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

My verdict so far is that some of it has worked and then the rest is awful (particularly Carr and Laverne's bits). Also the improv bits are the best so far I think.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Junkenstein posted:

How many episode in this run?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Thought this was quite funny http://twitpic.com/3ru6l2

I will watch next week. If they can hammer down the format this could be a great show.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 21, 2011

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

reality_groove posted:

I think a lot of you have pointed out a lot of the preliminary flaws with 10 o'clock live but here's a few more:

There's absolutely no reason this show needs to be live. It puts unneccesary pressure on the comedians and mucks with the pacing. Tape it the night before or on the day.

Scheduling it opposite Question Time and Newsnight is ballsy but is it wise?

The set looks like a Saturday morning kids show from 10 years ago. Where's the faux professional set from the adverts?

More interviews and chats, less 'bits'.

They need to structure the show more around the comdians' strengths. Keep Carr to the headlines/punchlines stuff, keep Mitchell for interviews and debates, let Brooker rant and use Laverne to link between segments.

They should bring in bring in guest comedians who have satirical backgrounds such as Andy Zaltzman, Marcus Brigstocke etc. who are used to riffing on current events. It would be brilliant if they could get someone to represent the Conservative viewpoint. All British comedy is very left wing at the moment, we need somoene from the other side even if it's in a Colbert style pastiche.

I thought that the set was pretty odd considering they trailer as well. I was expecting something like The Day Today or Brass Eye.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 21, 2011

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

I vaguely remember him suggesting he voted Lib Dem or would vote at one point.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

LE0N posted:

Dont really see what "episodes" did/is doing to provoke such hostile reactions its been getting, its not terrible and its above mediocre.
I think it's probably because it's listed as a comedy but isn't really very funny. A bit like whites (which was like a sitcom with just the situation in my opinion).

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Whites had a lot of decent comedy actors but failed to use them properly. The characters were all so unlikable as well, but not in a good way like Nathan Barley. I don't think I laughed once through the entire series.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

I can't think of any satirist in the UK under 40, which is probably why there aren't any on 10OCL.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

DaWolfey posted:

Miranda wins against The Trip and Grandmas House.

Jesus christ.

I loved Grandma's house. What is this cuntery?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Hoops posted:

And I'm sorry, crucify me if you will, but the impressions became *horrifically* overdone by the end, and they ended up being this massive yoke around its neck where half the episode was simply annoying.

I agree, the cringe factor really became unbearable for me by the end because of this.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

BiggusDickus posted:

This is loving outrageous, since the Japanese have only during the last decade very half-heartedly apologized for some of the war crimes they committed during WW2, and are yet to apologize for their sex slave camps. gently caress the Japanese.

Yes but the BBC operates under the idea that if they cause any kind of offence to anybody (no matter how small) it will increase their chances of losing the license fee.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Kin posted:

Well the news this morning was going on about a new scottish digital channel takig funds from the licence fee.

We don't need local stations because gently caress all ever happens here that's worth making any shows about.

Politician seem obsessed with the idea of carving up and redistributing the license fee to greatly inferior causes. So far the BBC has managed to resist though, not sure how long they can keep that up in the next 10 years with the onslaught of the web and all that.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It is because it suits their agenda for the destruction of the BBC. The quality goes down, the new local stations are unwatched, and the liscence fee is too high for what people receive. The liscence fee system has obviously failed, they will say, bring in Murdoch and the free market.

I wonder how the collapse of the newspapers in the next couple of years will affect politician's decision making process. Will be interesting to see wether they will have the balls to do the right thing instead of backing down all the time.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Kin posted:

Next couple of years? Newspaper rags will be around for a lot longer than that. Especially if 30% of the country is full of the type of ignorant cunts who do nothing but read The Sun and watch Sky News.

edit: Even moreso with the Tories in charge.

Okay maybe I should have said ten years, but still their sales are dropping year on year. Their influence hopefully should have wayne somewhat within a decade.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Kin posted:

For them to vanish, there needs to be an outright eradication of my parents' generation. My parents are in their 50's just now, so that's about another 20 years or so.

You're massively overestimating the reach/influence of non-printed news saturation throughout the UK. Granted, from our generation onwards there's obviously going to be a steady decline, but there are a lot of older people in the country who will still buy newspapers until they day they die.

Newspapers and tabloids will still be here well after 10 years from now and even if they arent, their replacements in the form of TV news/stations/networks will still be preaching the same bollocks for decades to come.

I guess I'm just way too optimistic :smith:

But I did think there were strict rules over news stations being biased which is why our TV news hasn't turned into the same pile of poo poo that the US's has.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

On the subject of BBC iPlayer, here's a pretty good French film available on it:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00hq387/My_Best_Friend/

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

How TV ruined your life wasn't as good as newswipe for me, didn't think much of the skits either. Newswipe and screenwipe seem a lot more cutting and less relaxed than this if that make sense.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

I agree with this but it was still decent. And Charlie's hair does like miles better like this

Oh yeah I'll still watch every single one. I was just assuming it would be as frantic as his other stuff.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

I went to primary school in the 90s and high school in the noughties and have seen some of those films before during lessons despite them being ancient. The one with the substation I remember the most.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 26, 2011

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Flatscan posted:

Did you get the one about not playing on building sites? That one was always my favourite.

I don't recall that one but it's possible. The kite one in HTVRYL is familiar as well.

Most of the educational videos I remember are from the 70s bizarrely, science especially (even the sex ed vids).

Was everything back then actually beige or brown?

Look around you is great if you like that kind of thing.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Flatscan posted:

Edit: Ha, found it on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7ag5dzfC6c

I'm amazed at how many times they use the word amazing to describe things that are not that amazing.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Bit embarrassed to admit this, but I'll probably end up watching the whole of the new series of Skins. Partly in hope that it might be as good as the first (which it won't) and partly as an example of how not to make TV. Series 4 was awful in every way possible (but really it's been declining since the second), especially near the end when it seemed like they suddenly realised they only had a couple of episodes left so they need to jam as much in as possible and subsequently ended up leaving a boatload of loose ends and unanswered questions.

Perhaps series 5 won't be such a massive depressionfest with characters unnecessarily being given permanent psychosis or whatever.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Oh no they're still doing the Carr news round up at the start.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

reality_groove posted:

Where else would you put headlines?

I guess. It just feels a bit stinted or something still.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

I kind of think that maybe Simon Amstell would be good at the the interview sections.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Some Strange Flea posted:

Absolutely. He's trying too hard to have an opinion and "do" the interview than being funny.

I'd almost go so far as saying he's maybe too polite?

Oh no definitely, personally I think he should be laying into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Switched over to newsnight to see Eric Schmidt as a 1950s cartoon dad.