Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
I enjoyed the It crowd special. There were some good jokes and I like how it sort of warps the shows BUT at the same time leaves a lot of it up in the air. It kept me entertain for 48 minutes and that is all I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

I have been re watching some old Art Attacks. The early seasons, where there is a guy playing the head is rubbish. He kept moving hsi shoulders up and down. Also, at times you can see the hole the actor sticking his head through. Still, he was a dark and cheecky sort of head. I like him.

The robot/puppet head is pretty awesome too.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Do you see her take it out and leave it somewhere? I was watching but also doing something else. Either way. I get that he trashed the bake goods. I have moments like that where I was just like "F THIS" and threw out things.

Also, I have a feeling he didn't want to be on the show.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Ms Boods posted:

Right, that combination got my attention! Will have to check this one out -- our usual decompression TV is going through older shows on dvd (and when I say older, we're currently on I, Claudius, as Mr Boods has never seen it.)

D: someone hasn't seen I, Claudius? Blasphemy.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Ms Boods posted:

Mr Boods was also the only person in Britain of his generation (he's 46) who didn't know how Blakes 7ended.* I deliberately timed the last episode to fall on his birthday. :sun:

We've just been through Rome over the summer; he's only seen one or two episodes. It was actually quite a bit of fun as he knew some of it was dramatic licence, and some of it taken from history. 'What?! That really happened?' and 'What the gently caress, why is Octavia marrying Mark Antony?!' and 'So you get to study this and lecture on it?!' Cleopatra's fake out to get Antony to commit suicide really wounded him; he was quite cross with her.

He's finding I, Claudius a bit of a jolt to get used to after Rome, as it's all minimal sets and shot as if it were a play, but he's getting a huge kick so far out of Livia. Myself as always anticipate when John Hurt shows up and steals every scene he's in.

*His mum wouldn't let him watch it because she thought it was rubbish.

Holy poo poo, I did not know that John Hurt played Caligula.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

I enjoyed the Mrs Brown Christmas special. I laughed a few times, unlike the Miranda special. That was just.... brutal.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

I liked that Miranda got married in the end. I mean, this was obvious, but I liked it anyway.

I think it totally went against the message that Miranda had been trying to say through out her whole show. Plus, What's his name is a manipulative, lier, shady, rear end in a top hat who really just doesn't give a gently caress about her. I hated him. Always hated him.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The new series of Uncle starts on BBC 3 soon :allears:

Talk about your gems hidden among poo poo.

Is there a set date? I need a date.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

1. S4 E1 Sherlock is alright. It was good background noise as I did my jigsaw puzzle. However, I was not totally drawn to it as I was with season 1.
I miss season 1 Sherlock. The best season in my opinion.

2. Is anyone watching Delicious? With Dawn French?
I was hating it while I was watching it (though my 70 year old mum seemed to enjoy it). But I find myself thinking about it.
I don't trust that doctor. She knows everything.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Jakabite posted:

Stephen Moffat is a hack who ruins everything he touches and I have absolutely no idea how he keeps getting work. He hosed up Dr. Who and from the little I've tried to watch of Sherlock it's absolutely terrible. It genuinely frustrates me that someone so untalented gets to make primetime TV for BBC1.

FINALLY I FOUND SOMEONE WHO HAS THE SAME THOUGHTS AS ME.

When Moffat took over Doctor Who, everyone I talked to believed that Moffat was God because of "Blink", and that he was actually going to save the show. I was like "WTF? Don't you all have a brain?"

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Can we all agree that Mrs Hudson driving an sports car while blasting classical music is awesome? In fact, can we all agree that Mrs Hudson is just an bad rear end lady in general?

I would watch an entire show of her driving around, solving crimes, while pretending to be innocent scared old lady; then BAM, she beats the bad guys up. Oh! Inspector Greg Lestrade can come in to arrest them while making a funny comment. Oh, and Molly can have some cameos.

Pretty much can I have a show with all of the supporting cast?

EDIT:
Oh. My. Gosh. There is a new season of Endeavour. :D

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

HookShot posted:

As someone who hated last week's episode, I thought this one was really well done. I mean sure there wasn't much of a "mystery" per se but it was a coherent storyline and it was actually entertaining and involved character development.

Mrs. Hudson in the car was amazing.

So was "Big Brother's watching"
"Literally"

I also laughed at
"We couldn't have seen this coming"
"Well he shot Magnussen in the face not long ago so yes, we probably should have"

The big brother is watching joke was funny, but also hinting the plot twist.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

Speaking of Martin Freeman, remember when he said this?

Because I don't, but it's quite shocking imo

WOOOOOW.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Cerv posted:

has anyone watched the russian bootleg of tonight's sherlock finale?

I have heard of it but I have not seen it anywhere. I think it's all a lie to be honest.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

I liked the idea of a government secret cave that holds some of the most insane/evil/horrible people in the world.
I liked Moriarty entrance. I liked Mrs. Hudson.

There were good bits. Writing as a whole though is a total mess.

S3 was about pleasing the fan girls by showing more everyday life with the characters.
S4 was to making Sherlock even more human so the fan girls can be like "SEE HE IS A KIND HEARTED WONDERFUL NON rear end in a top hat"

Edit: The last 5 minutes was actually really nice.

DrNewton fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 17, 2017

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Taear posted:

Usually that stuff happens because people point out bad things in a show and then you notice it even more. It's not "hivemind" because that's dumb.

So many shows have been ruined for me because of that. Sometimes I just enjoy a show for what it is. Is that wrong?

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

You know what annoyed me the most about the Sherlock. That Sherlock was told he was the middle chil when clearly he is the youngest.
1. The girl actress looked and acted older. 2. Sherlock gets whatever he wants, and gets away with anything, and generally is a spoiled person. He is really seen as a baby. He demands more attention from his family and peers and are a bit of a rebel by just doing his own thing.
That screams youngest child to me.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Megaspel posted:

I do actually enjoy watching Doctor Who usually, just because I already know it's gonna be utter naff when I go in, it's like junk food. It's usually got just enough pseudo-science babble that it lets my mind wander and explore scenarios in my head loosely using the same sorta logic/format. That said, the Christmas special was so very, very bad, to the point where it was pretty much completely unenjoyable.

I found the Christmas special kind of boring. Also, the female character, who is suppose to be smart, hard working mom, did poo poo all and had to be saved.

My 11 year old nephew liked it though. It has a superhero in it!

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

My favorite thing from the season 3 special is sherlock's coat when he's falling from the top of the waterfall:

For a show about details, they seem to miss quite a few of them :allears:

It's like they just gave up. They knew the fangirls would happy with a wet Sherlock, and didn't think otherwise. :(

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Who has been watching the current season of Endeavor?
Whats your theories on those tarot cards at the end of each episode?

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Padje posted:

My mate told me there could never be a black Dr Who cuz in an older episode, that Dr Who was like 'we don't have black people in space'

Uhhh... NewWho has broken ClassicWho rules so many times. Either they found a solution to keep the angry middle aged nerdy men happy or they just flat out ignore it and do their own thing any way. Hack, the Doctor is suppose to due after this current one, but they did some "creative writing" and now the doctor is pretty much God.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Tonight's Endeavour has put some serious money into its camera drone shots.

I can't wait to watch it. :3

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Khablam posted:

They banned VPNs a long time ago. However, it's IP-blacklist based so you've probably just been lucky up til now.

Now word this in a way that I can explain to my 70 year old mother who doesn't get computers.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Rumda posted:

Apparently Capaldi deciding he's served his time on Who counts as breaking news this evening. Thanks BBC.

And that kids, is what finally broke Britain.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

thehustler posted:

What if the robot is an exact replica of your wife, physically and mentally?

Richard Herring asks that in his podcast.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

thehustler posted:

That is why I said it

YEAH! A fan of the podcast! \o/
I live in Canada and have yet to meet someone knows my references.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

Maybe you should stick to Dr Who if Taboo is too spicy for you. Get a clue.

Escobarbarian posted:

Don't do that. Taboo ain't high art. High camp, at best.

Making fun of peoples TV tastes is bad. Don't do it.

:)

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

Sounds like you don't get it. Try watching it again?

Or it's simply just overrated.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Anyone watch the new series of Uncle? Properly great sitcom starring Nick Helm. It's all up on iPlayer from the beginning right now.

Final episode goes up next week, and I'm gonna miss it.

I am waiting for the all episodes of season 3 to air before I watch the last series.
I will miss that uncle/nephew duo.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Paladinus posted:

He's been doing podcasts with a ventriloquist doll lately. There's a clear pattern.

Honestly, I think that just quarantine and this pandemic getting to him. I have done some weird poo poo at home these pass few months. I just don't post it on Twitch.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Mr Phillby posted:

Ah you're not familiar with 'Me1 vs Me2 Snooker with Richard Herring' a video podcast where Richard Herring plays snooker with himself with comentary by Richard Herring.

Its first episode was in 2011.

I used to be a big fan of Herring's podcast but ultimately most british comedians have revealed themselves to be pretty poo poo at this point so I kinda lost interest in hearing them interviewed. He's reasonably funny and I'm sure he'll be fine on Taskmaster.

Looking forward to Johnny Vegas the most though, creative/lazy is peak taskmaster contestant IMO.

Yeah in my mind Me1 vs Me2 isn't so crazy. Again I spend a lot of time alone. I listen to his podcast too, he is putting effort to find less lovely guests, and had a lot more women and non traditional comedians which I like.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Seb Patrick has died suddenly, and he seemed to have been known by a lot of my friends, so I figured he’d probably have been known here too.

He final tweet was amazing. Which makes me wonder, if he killed himself (I don't know how he died).

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

crispix posted:

Channel 5 seems to show a lot of these starting around mid-November. The acting can be so bad that they have comedy value for about 3 or 4 minutes

The writing is so bad too. So many of those lines are not everyday sentences.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

I like the little Christmas stuff like pottery throw dowm, sewing bee, etc.Ghosts Christmas special will be nice too.

That being said, I do find myself watching Vicar of Dibley Christmas specials and other classic shows specials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Best friend from school was an octochamp on Countdown.
gently caress knows where he got the skills for that, we were smoking weed and doing acid most weekends.

Wait, so getting high and then spending hours researching and watching documentaries on a specific topic is uncommon?