Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I saw Nina Conti play at my student union about 10 years ago, and she was loving awful then. And then like two weeks later she appeared to my astonishment on Comic Relief. Ever since then I have remained shocked at the fact that she manages even her meagre level of fame - and her act has moved on not one iota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Not watched this week's HIGNFY, but Osman is fantastic on Pointless.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

There's a lot more subtlety to Miranda than it gets credit for. For one thing, it's a conscious homage of seventies sitcoms instead of just lazily being one like Mrs Brown's Boys. It's also basically an extremely lonely and depressed woman trying to work through her psychological problems and indulgently avoiding them through fantasy in about equal measure. It is, for instance, transparently obvious in the show that Miranda Hart loathes her own mother, probably second only to how much she loathes herself (her pretty and successful public school friends are third in the hate-list).

Pretty much the driving force for the plot of the series is her pining over a boy she fancied in University but never asked out. In the first episode, she goes on her first date ever (with anyone) with him. Miranda Hart is over 40. Another episode involves her booking a holiday for one to Thailand and then backing out because she mentally can't handle the pressure, but then can't bare to face her friends so she books a week in a local hotel instead. One episode is entirely her getting counselling.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

They show you the murder at the start, which is absolutely baffling for a howdunnit series like Creek.

They only did that in the first episode.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I thought The Men Who Made Us Spend was bloody terrible. It's full of mock outrage and desperate point-scoring on its targets. The bloke seemed incapable of accepting the basic fact that new iPhone models are qualitatively better than their predecessors, using the incredible fact that he chatted to three idiots in the line to buy one as proof. His other docs are the same as well - in The Men Who Made Us Thin he was moralising on how terrible it was that drug companies are working on pills that let you eat what you like and not get fat, as if a pill like that wouldn't be loving amazing. The presenter also has an incredibly irritating sing-song cadence to his voice.

There's a great documentary to be made on the roots of modern consumerism, except that doc has already been made and it was Adam Curtis' Century of the Self, and this looks like that if it was made by five-year-olds.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 16, 2014

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Surprised there's no talk about Babylon, it's back after the pilot and pretty great. It certainly works better as a proper series than as a one-off.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It's pretty funny that The British Comedy Awards astonishingly managed to cajole Stewart Lee into turning up this year, only to not give him any awards and then give a lifetime achievement award to the Mrs Brown's Boys bloke.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

pentyne posted:

WILTY has become increasingly hilarious as David Mitchell is slowly losing his mind and abandons all attempts at pretence and Lee Mack is just given nothing but implausible premises and does his best to make it funny while it's blatantly obvious that no one believes it.

ftfy

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

A few days later and I'm still laughing at the Guardian TV writer who got paid to write that no comedy is actually funny, you're just tricked into laughing and in this day and age, no one likes to be tricked. I'm not sure what kind of dead-inside person you have to be to believe that.

Pretty rubbish post without a link.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jesus, Lenny Henry looks good on Comic Relief. If it wasn't for some flecks of grey in his beard he could pass for being in his late twenties.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Murder in Successville is amazing. I just loved that Made in Chelsea guy saying "Yeah, well, I murdered an innocent woman."

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I had literally never even heard of the Made in Chelsea bloke but I thought he was hilarious.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I don't think they've ever shown the semis on BBC1 or 2 since they started doing them.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

What is it about 90s music that makes people angrily insist that widely popular music was terrible and Damon Albarn was tantamount to a child murderer? I've seen this exact argument like five times in he past week because of TFI Friday.

And as for the other discussion going on, they should reboot Tomorrow's World but "Top Gear-ify" it. It seems crazy that we don't have TW on any more with all the crazy poo poo that's being invented these days.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I watched the first couple of episodes of People Just Do Nothing, but I found that the fact that the main bloke had cribbed his performance from David Brent was so blatant that I just couldn't continue.

By the way, am I the only one who loves Fake or Fortune? It's basically like the closest they could come to making a real-life CSI show. Fiona Bruce and Philip Mould are hilariously sort of like Emma Peel and Steed, and Bendor's their Chloe-in-24-style computer guy who stays back in HQ. They even have a recurring villain in the form of the Wildenstein Institute who repeatedly blocks obviously real paintings from being authenticated. All the show is missing is Fiona Bruce going :argh: and shouting "WILDENSTEIIIIN!"

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The success of the GBBO is down to the fact that it takes the proven talent show format, but then makes it super-middle class, thus capturing the large audience who find programmes like the X Factor too low class, even if only subconsciously.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

A new series of Who Do You Think You Are? has started, and the intro brings us this chilling image, that strikes into the hearts of all decent people:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

There are those who said this day would never come:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGG5OhEcpOQ

What are they to say now?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I saw that Jennifer Aniston was doing a new ad for some face cream earlier, and despite the fact that Rachel From Friends was doing an ad for a beauty product, I was outraged - OUTRAGED - to see that she failed at any time to say "here comes the science".

How could you forsake us, Rachel? It's within your power to make the 90s come back! I want to be a teenager drinking Hooch and wanking to Eurotrash again! Why won't you let the science come, Rachel?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It was nice seeing Trevor Noah on WILTY though, as it will probably be his last appearance on British television.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Pottering about on iPlayer last night, on a whim I decided to watch Asian Provocateur on BBC3, Romesh Ranganathan's new show. And it was actually pretty good - the premise is that Romesh, whose parents came from Sri Lanka, feels he is a "coconut" (brown on the outside, white on the inside) and is completely disconnected from his culture. So he basically does a bit of a travel documentary and goes around Sri Lanka seeing weird stuff. Romesh is very funny, seemingly constantly pissed off for being asked to do anything, but there's a bit of genuine pathos in Romesh's sadness in having his own culture be so alien to him.

It's only 30 mins an episode too, so I'd say it's worth checking out.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Lucy Worsley's slow transformation into high-brow TV sex kitten is really weird. It definitely seems like she's encouraging it as well.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The weird thing about Lucy Worsely is not so much that she's being put forward as attractive, which she is in a "weird crush" sort of way, but that she doesn't seem to be being pushed or pressured into it at all, but instead seems to be very enthusiastically seizing that mantle herself, as if she's constantly ringing up BBC commissioners and pitching BBC 4's A Cheeky History of British Dildos. It's a bit odd for a respected academic.

In other news I just watched the first episode of the new TFI Friday revival and it was bloody awful, just a ramshackle mess and not in a fun way.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It's very clearly a lovely Ch4 sci-fi where aliens serve as a metaphor for our feelings about immigrants.

AKA what District 9 did a million times better 7 years ago

Yeah, it's so obvious, I wonder what the point of making them aliens is. I feel like if you're going to do something like that you should really have the budget to have "aliens" who don't look identical to normal humans.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

For someone who never watches Sport or Movie channels would a Smart TV with Freeview, Netflix and maybe Amazon Video be a good substitute for Virgin or Sky? I feel it would be cheaper in the long run and basically give you access to all the same content, just not quite as early.

I believe that NOW TV has basically all of Sky's non-sport or movie content. But frankly, I just :filez: that stuff as I consider it to be more moral than giving money to News International.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

BBC programming these days to me is summed up by those shows that feature couples whose major dilemma is working out which £500,000 property to purchase while most people under 40 living in a city are destined to never escape renting.

You mean Location Location Location, the Channel 4 show?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Catzilla posted:

He's probably talking about Escape To The Country.

Well, that and a couple of other similar daytime shows definitely encapsulate all of the BBC's programming.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Apparently, Victoria Wood has died.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This Russel T Davis Midsummer Night's Dream is pretty bad. Since he couldn't do the dialogue, he went all out and made everything else the most RTD thing ever.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Cerv posted:

actually it was pretty good

If William Shakespeare was alive today he'd know exactly how to improve the play: more touchscreens. And a completely pointless dictator subplot no one ever actually mentions.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

mrfart posted:

Euhm,
Does the Jonathan creek-kid from outnumbered look like a bouncer now?

Apparently he's a semi-professional rugby player in real life now. I rather enjoyed the Outnumbered special, not sure why it had been so under promoted.

I just finished watching "The Entire Universe", which was pretty embarrassing. Eric Idle's material was so dated I thought he would break out jokes about Harold MacMillan.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Pretty weird that everyone's ready to poo poo on Stephen Moffat for this when the only episode of the three he wrote by himself is the one everyone agrees was the best, and the episodes that everyone hates were Mark Gatiss'.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The sexism against GB2016 was real, and loud, and loving terrible, but it is true that Sony then steered into that sexism in an attempt to delegitimise the reasonable criticisms of the film - especially the first trailer, which was bloody awful (and kind of racist).

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Just something about the fact that they have the "contestant" openly gun down celebrities at the end is hilarious to me.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The last episode of Successville being a clip show was a pretty big disappointment.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Mark Watson was the host of the unforgettable Improvisation My Dear Mark Watson.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

In much much better news:

https://twitter.com/AccidentalP/sta...296955312246784

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Robot Wars is life!

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I like the Mash Report, but I think it could do with maybe one less chunk of the fake headline bits and one more chunk of Nish doing satire behind a desk bit.

I do appreciate that they pretty much explicitly admit that everyone watching the show will be left wing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The main character's mum literally being called "Leda Strike" is one of the most ludicrous things I've ever heard.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 10, 2017