Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

I think they have different writers for each episode, which explains the weird drop in quality. The only part I liked in the last 2 episodes started the moment Will Mellor just said "gently caress it" and ran into the flat.

Basically, and have to emphasise that I never thought I would ever say this, this show needs more Will Mellor.

And Oona Chaplin :swoon:

Speaking of weird drops in quality, what the gently caress happens to a BBC show when they go from good cinematography to poo poo lighting, shakey cam and terrible shooting angles?

I'm watching Hotel Babylon and the change from series 2-3 is night and day. It looks terrible and I guess it was a cost saving method or something, but it's really jarring to see the change from one episode to another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Austen Tassletine posted:

There's a new Ramsey's nightmare show on channel four eviscerating British expat restaurants in Spain. It's more like the old UK style rather than the recent US ones, which is a good thing.

You can really see the influence from the US version though. He's still doing the "resolve family squabbles" and giving the place a full renovation. Can't believe that lovely chef was still employed there either, I've seen bad cooks but that guy was one of the worst.

I don't expect that chicken place to last. He said they owed €350k and unless they have several phenomenal years they're going to fall behind and lose the business.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I would love to see the outtakes from the latest WILTY. I swear the reason they keep bringing back Bob Mortimer is he has the most unbelievable true stories and David gets increasingly agitated as they go on.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

tdrules posted:

I hope someone makes a .gif out of David's maniacal laugh at the end.

Between his surreal hostile appearance on 8 out of 10 Cats countdown and the latest WILTY I'm wondering if he's barely holding back his resentment at having to do panel shows and is another bad show away from snapping and yelling at everyone to gently caress off.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Tell me more about his 8 out of 10 apperance please?

He started out being very dry, and went into quite an amusing rant about how a word is a thing and letters are arbitrary, and words are made up of lines that are arbitrarily groups as letters, then Sean made a crack about David’s books not selling, and he just kind of smiled and completely stopped.

Afterwards he then went on a rant about how there’s only one number, 1, and all others are just made of combinations of 1. It seemed prepared and not particularly witty.

During the numbers part he didn’t even bother to try and just went on a short rant. As a whole he wasn’t really saying much during the show compared to other guests I’ve seen.

Near the end of the show was when he “snapped”. The guest said she hoped everyone would have positive thoughts about her and Sean winning, and then David went

“Imagine if there is power in positive thinking, and you are seriously asking, in this troubled world, for people to focus that energy on you solving a loving anagram.” in a fairly aggressive tone.

And it wasn’t done in a funny way, it was more like he had reached his limit and just didn’t even bother pretending he enjoyed the game anymore.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Octy posted:

I'd feel sorry for anyone who appeared on that show. The whole 45 minutes was just completely bizarre.

I think it came down to bad casting. David is good on WILTY because of the format of the show and focus on others (plus him and Lee area a great team), as well as allowing him to be pedantic and insanely dry, but something like 8of10 countdown he's supposed to be consistently witty in a happy way that he's never been known for so putting him on the show seemed like a good idea given his fame but with how superficial and banal the show is he just lost it, stopped giving a poo poo, and by the end raged at a simple comment in a hilarious way the normal 8of10 wouldn't respond to well. You could tell by the editing cut that they immediately moved past that outburst back to normal "Hey this is a joke/audience laughs" style with Sean that they wanted to move past it.

Even during the celebration, he showed no care and seemed to simply walk up next to the dog without making any attempt to pet it or seem friendly. During the wrap up you can see the camera ignores him and at the last second his legs come into shot by Jon but he makes no attempt to pet the dog.

All in all, it came off as a show where David Mitchell did everything he was legally obliged to do, snapped at some point, and then kept quite to finish out the recording.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

There's actually an entire series 9 already in the can. IIRC, they're gonna do 10, then call it quits.

Here's hoping they still work as a team. Ambassadors was pretty great, but it was pitched as a comedy and was really, really dark for that and Mitchell mentioned it was being retooled as a drama.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DominoDancing posted:

WILTY very much depends on the chemistry between Lee Mack and David Mitchell, so I don't think replacing one of them would work out in the long run, but I agree. Greg Davies was great.

There are very few WILTY guests who are absolutely fantastic at it. Off the top of my head it'd be Bob Mortimor, Greg Davies, Rhod Gilbert, and David O'Doherty for completely blowing the item prompt and continuing his story with a straight face.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Lee Mack has no chemistry with any human. His side of the banter is so forced that anyone could do it.

I mean I never really enjoyed him on WILTY, but it wasn't until Not Going Out that I realised how terrible he actually is.

All he mostly when not having to think on his feet about a ridiculous lie he's been given does is dive into the tired jokes of "David is so posh and doesn't know anything about pop culture".

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yeah that puppet lady is loving shite. I was all ready for some reasonably attractive young lady to revolutionise a dead artform and make her stupid granny puppet funny, but it just didn't happen. And now she keeps turning up on different shows and I think she might have legitimate mental issues

Who's the puppet lady?

You know who I want to see on more panel shows? Trevor Noah. Pretty much every show he's on he'll get prompted to do the Xhosa language clicks and its always amazing to hear.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Big Taff Man posted:

Is there like a list of female comedians because I just tried to think of one I like and I couldnt, but thats more because I was thinking of the ones I hate

There's been a few female comedians on WILTY and Mock the Week that are pretty funny in small doses but like most comedians listening to them for a full hour of stand up would be unpleasant.

Just imagine Andy Parsons or Chris Addison doing a full stand up routine. By the 4th minute they'd be unbearable.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Have any other panel guests ever come out and talk about how poo poo it is to guest on Mock the Week. I was watching old episodes and I noticed that after a season or two most recurring guests never return.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Going to check out some of the non-Rincewind Discworld specials. Charles Dance as Vetinari seems utterly perfect.

I was pretty surprised at how good the Going Postal special was. I expected some cheap adaptation but it was actually pretty good. Plus, Charles Dance is the perfect benevolent dictator.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Maybe someone more in tune with BBC television can help me figure this out, but does Milton Jones have some incriminating pictures of the Mock the Week production heads or can they not find anyone else willing to guest on the show? Jones is literally the least funny person I've ever seen on a BBC show, and that includes the random American celebrity guests who are clearly out of their element and are awkward as hell.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I was browsing for shows to watch and Waterloo Road caught my attention. As someone from the American public school system it makes almost no sense at all to me. Season 2 starts with them expelling the worst kids, fighters, stabbers, arsonists, general troublemakers, and the show tries to portray it as some reactionary overreach that ends up having a terrible effect on the community.

Personally, watching the show I can't help but think "gently caress those kids, they had a chance and spit on all the rules". It creates this image where in towns all over the UK "feral kids" who are expelled in their teens basically run rampant all over the town destroying shops and bringing the community to its knees.

Still a fun show, despite the fact that everything portrayed as "bad" seems like sound educational policy to me. Any other similar BBC drama/pseudo soap operas in the same vein?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

I haven't seen it for years but I remember 'Teachers' owning back in the day.

holy poo poo Rick Grimes as a teacher? definitely at the top of my list.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Creature posted:

Series 1 and 2 have Raquel Cassidy, who's brilliant in everything. Don't bother with it after she's gone.

It feels like that seems to be how most long running British shows/dramas go. A brilliant first season is followed up by a not too bad second, then its garbage from there on. The only examples I can think of are Misfits, Hotel Babylon, Downton though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cerv posted:

quite the sociopath

Fair enough.

Also lol there's a plot where a US young earth creationist church buys a "share" in the school and starts pushing anti-Darwin schooling and the US's brand of evangelical religion.

I know the US's fascination with creationism and anti-evolution is well known, but I thought that the rest of the world roundly mocked that attribute and some US megachurch trying to push it in a European country would get laughed out of town.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 27, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

I doubt anyone on here still watches Waterloo road, but Lisa and Shaznay are loving scumbags. How they haven't been expelled or prosecuted so far this season is beyond me.

Why am I watching this poo poo? :bang:

I gave the show a try, and really liked it in series one. It seemed like they treated things as serious business, with a angry father actually being arrested for showing up and punching a teacher, and how that would result in his son being taken into care and have repercussions beyond that little fight.

2 series later there's all sorts of unbelievable behavior going on that isn't addressed because the show turned into a lovely soap drama. The tipping point for me was the autistic girl brought to the school and how the older flirty blond woman who was now the school nurse didn't even bother to give the girl her meds, so when the older rear end in a top hat teacher starting yelling and berating the girl she panicked and threw a chair at him, leading to teachers threatening to strike and that one rear end in a top hat guy still blaming the school head for his wife dying when she ran into a knife. For the kicker the nurse was all "oh what did it matter, she's a spaz anyway" went confronted on failing to do her (extremely important) job, like it would've been okay to forget to give a diabetic child their insulin.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So since I don't want to be left out, but since I don't want to sit through hours of mawkish melodrama - what was so angering about the way The Missing ended?

People wanted it to end a certain way and were furious when it didn't.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fyuz posted:

I thought that was the point, as in kid goes missing so hunt the paedos! Paedos everywhere! When the reality was more mundane (the car crash at least, what happened after maybe not). I can't argue with the end of your post though, the fact that the car would presumably have blood all over it from the impact, as would the road and yadda yadda. Still, I enjoyed it and will probably watch the second series.

One of the reviews I read mentioned that people were actually angry that it wasn't a "roving gang of pedophiles" after all. Story and plot reasons aside, The Missing really seemed like it tried to create a true to life depiction of how horrific losing a child like that is and inventing a cliche from the days of moral panics would've been an absolute disservice. Most missing children cases are depressingly simple, there was a recent one in New York where a woman reported that the boy she babysat went missing, and a week later they found that body and it comes out that the boy wasn't kidnapped and it looks like she allegedly killed him. There is never some monstrous pedophile gang or group of Satan worshipers abducting kids, it's almost always a simple accident or a tragic event or a deliberate murder by a close associate.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Doublepost- Carrie Fisher turned out to be far from the most baffled participant QI has had, and was a really good sport about the Star Wars talk. I was expecting another John Hodgeman situation.

What happened with Hodgeman? He seems like he'd be a perfect fit for QI.

Also, Carrie Fisher is a huge surprise guest for a BBC panel show. It's like she was hanging around the studio waiting to do some The Force Awakens presser and they relentlessly begged her to come on the show and she agreed.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 26, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Jack Whitehall's dialogue with Chico during the Big Fat Anniversary Quiz was amazing.

Jack Whitehall isn't a good stand-up comedian but in the last few years he's been consistently hilarious on panel shows and when bouncing off other comedians.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Big Taff Man posted:

I cant loving stand Warwick Davis, he comes off as so fake and fame hungry

It seems more like he's desperate for money and hoping to get a bit part in the new star wars movies by raising his profile.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xachariah posted:

But he... already has a part?

edit: beat, apparently

I saw the comedy sketch where he's plays the phone call between him and JJ where Warick loses his mind at being given a chance and tries to keep his cool.

For him, this will make sure him and his family are set for life and more. The other big name actors are just "Yeah, I'd love to have one more chance to play this role" but for Davis he's securing his financial security.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

Looks like a British Drunk History started this week. Any good?

Rob Beckett was funny, but the story he was telling was so messed up to begin with it wasn't hard.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

It'd be a drat sight better if they actually got comedians with an interest in history.

I'd love to see Al Murray do it. Or David Mitchell.

I think a blind- drunk David Mitchell trying to talk about history would be the greatest thing ever put to screen.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Josie Lang.

She's not hilarious, but given the absolute garbage that are most British panel shows I don't see why people get so angry. WILTY has even gotten worse as David Mitchell is slowly losing his mind and abandons all attempts at pretense and Lee Mack is just given nothing but implausible premises and does his best to make it funny while it's blatantly obvious that no one believes it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I just discovered Flintoff Lord of the Fries and I'm enjoying it more then I expected. It helps that the Downton Abbey butler Jim Carter is the narrator but Flintoff really seems like he's having a really good time with it which makes it fun to watch.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sri.Theo posted:

Has anyone here watched 'Outlander'? It's based on a series of books which I've never read but the series is excellent. Thought people in here might appreciate the interaction between the Redcoats and the Scots, the real racism and attitude that the English have to the Scots and the interaction between the two is excellent.

Outlander is amazing, and has been getting an insane amount of press in the US, mostly because the female audience is tuning in en masse. It started out as "UK book on Starz" with little attention and instantly blew up. It got renewed for a 2nd season right off the bat.

It's more of a US show done in the style of UK dramas. It's got its own thread as well to post in.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sri.Theo posted:

Definitely not the patriot style, there is one character that comes close to caricature but he's only their briefly and is really funny. The subtle portrayal of calcium, resentment and bitterness is fascinating as it all takes place between the lines. In some way's it reminds of a series set in Afghanistan.

Portrayals of racism during the 1700-1900s in the UK are usually tough to do right because there was a lot of horrible poo poo that each sides did to each other, and the English often really hosed over the locals. It reminds me a bit of The Wind that Shakes the Barley" where the soldiers treat the Irish like subhuman and the Irish take any chance they can get to kill some English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So I've binged through Cadael twice and aside from the fact that they replaced Hugh Berringer every loving season it was an amazing show. Anyone have recommendations for similar types of shows (in the broadest terms) that I could watch? I know that Derek Jacobi is an immense talent that none can replicate but they're must be some amazing 80s/90s series in a similar style.