Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Gram-O-Phone posted:

If there was any justice in the world that nasty smug two-faced lying sack of poo poo would have disappeared from public sight when he was sacked from the Mirror for publishing fake pictures of British soldiers abusing Iraqis.

Why the gently caress does he keep getting work?! Are the public really that loving dense?

He must have a lot of dirt on people, it's the only explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

LE0N posted:

Pub is burning down , smoke filling your lungs...what do you do? go for the money in the till for more crack.

Phil mitchell you true crackhead :allears:

I'll suck for crack!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I think it's wicked. It still has the full 7 days although you're right, you can't order it by channel and have all the shows listed alphabetically.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Jimbola posted:

drat, I was cracking up when Will started shouting that jazz over the wheelchair kid. Hilarious.

Yeah, was pissing myself at that bit too. Also pissing myself that there were actually sausage rolls at the wheelchair kid's assembly.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

hounslow rob posted:

westwood will be amazing. people just don't understand him. he should replace jonathan ross, not graham norton.

I fully agree, Westwood is ace.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Mark was already very pissed when he hit that bong, would've been more unrealistic if he didn't whitey.

Edit: Speaking of unrealistic portrayals of drug use, did anyone else stay up and watch the Breakfast Club last night? Got about 4 hours sleep because BBC insist on putting classic films on at stupid times.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 21, 2010

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Aye, Inbetweeners was loving poo poo this week.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
No one plays Champ Man anymore, they can't even get that right...

Will's a lot better than Simon, who is just a twat.

Edit: Although that said, he probably had the funniest line in the episode with "Crap's a swear word?"

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 27, 2010

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

lionlegs posted:

Don't know about that; I think "Eat the dog" is an even more apt phrase than "Jump the shark".

(It has got better since then though).

Didn't think that episode was that bad, the one with the gym was worse. Peep Show has never been bad though, it was at its best last season.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 29, 2010

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

A Humble Narcissist posted:

Oh ha, ha. I mean it's not bad, I just hate Victoria Cohen which is probably why I don't like the program.

I find her unbearable too. Again I think it's the voice, and that drivel she writes in the Guardian.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Armstrong and Miller is loving brilliant and it's a million times better than that Mitchell and Webb shite you all seem to put up with.

I'm actually amazed that it's on primetime BBC1, given how filthy some of it is. The sketch they did with the teacher getting pilled up in a club and running into his pupils was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I liked the little documentary he did about quantum physics and generally think he's a fairly likeable chap.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
This seems to be on the iPlayer, not listened to it yet, but it might be good. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00p84qc/Red_Dwarf_Infinity_Welcomes_Careful_Drivers_Episode_1/

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I gotta say I much prefer Channel 4 News' new blatant gayer Arts Editor to boring old Nicholas Glass.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

fuf posted:

I've never seen "only connect" before but I'm watching the Children in Need special. What's with the lack of an audience? Is it always like that?

Yeah it's strange, I've never been able to make it more than 10 minutes into an episode.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Peter Kay was loving hilarious when he was still a rising star and Phoenix Nights was one of the finest sitcoms of the past 20 years.

It needed said.

Michael McIntyre is funny as gently caress too.

Sorry to have strayed outside the the Stewart Lee/Charlie Brooker/Armando Iannucci bubble of acceptable comedy.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
People hate him because he's released the same DVD every Christmas for about 8 years running and not written any new material since he hit the big time, but he was still very funny. I remember seeing his Comedy Store special before I knew who he was and it was hysterical.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Roffle are people in this thread trying to pretend that Seinfeld isn't good? Seinfeld is the best sitcom ever. Get a grip people.

Edit: Also, finding Peter Kay funny = BNP supporter. Thanks UK TV IV Thread, I never realised everyone I know, and my entire family were so full of race hate.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 24, 2010

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Sorry for being poor and common. How can I be more like you 'proper' folk?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Was a bit gassed last night. I can only apologise for my poo poo patter.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
My personal favourite has to be "Judge Not" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVRODdXVI3Q

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I thought it was pretty funny. Wish I hadn't watched his new DVD last week though. Almost every bit of stand up (except the first 10 minutes maybe) were lifted directly from his last tour.

Loose Women Iran was the best bit by far.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

He's like a Scottish Peter Kay.

No, he's the Scottish Jimmy Carr.

Kevin Bridges is so obviously the Scottish Peter Kay.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Some Strange Flea posted:

Jimmy Carr has released a DVD in early November every year since 2004. I've watched a few of them, but I gather from this that a lot of his stuff is recycled?

I don't know, I've only seen one of Carr's DVDs. They're just similar in that they both do short, punchy gags in a deadpan style and have stupid laughs.

Boyle is terrible for reusing the same material all the time, I doubt Jimmy Carr is as bad in that respect.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

A5H posted:

Who?

Jimmy Carr.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
What the gently caress has happened to Question Of Sport? It's full of celebs instead of sports men/women and all the rounds are hosed.

Boo!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

HauntedRobot posted:

I get the feeling he's either blown the first half of his budget falling off the wagon and writing the first thing that came to his mind while hungover, or he's decided he's "too popular" and is deliberately trying to sabotage his own chances of getting on TV ever again.

I reckon he's just a lazy bastard.

Some of the sketches have been funny, like Loose Women Iran, or the hidden camera one where the guy's mate pretends to have killed a child.

Everything about it just screams "That'll do". He's even been reusing gags from Mock The Week, which is just inexcusable.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Frankie Boyle isn't a good comedian when he's not reacting to other people, because shouting pedophile or oval office or rape aren't punchlines. After bailing out from Mock the Week and complaining the BBC were holding him back, he then gets his own programme on another channel, where in the series premiere he covers such up-to-date topics as the Winter Olympics, which happened 11 months ago, the John Leslie sexual assault allegations, which happened 7 years ago, The Green Mile which was released in 1999 and then recycles material from the programme that was "holding him back".

He's poo poo.

So you're saying that you can't joke about anything that's older than 6 months? I mean I see what you're getting at, he reuses far too much old material, but he's allowed to do sketches about The Green Mile if he wants, that alone doesn't make him poo poo.

I gotta disagree with the statement that he relies on shock value alone too. He just tells jokes he finds funny and doesn't let good taste get in the way of a funny gag. He still tells plenty of jokes that aren't shocking in any way (hello Mr cheese!), although admittedly that hasn't been true for Tramadol Nights so far, where he does seem to think that shock value alone will stand in for a punch line.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

SeanBeansShako posted:

I think Flatscan pretty much stated he could do better, he just needs to swallow some of his ego and let a producer use his professionalism to give him criticism on what is good and what is bollocks.

The thing is, with some serious quality control applied to the sketches and some new stand up material Tramadol Nights could actually be very good.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
It's not even that specific either, it's not like idiots trying too hard to be cool is a new thing. I watched the whole series and I think the only time I really laughed at it was when he was rapping in bed with that girl.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Yeah, way before he became a chef. They talk about it on the DVD.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Singles sales are actually at an all time high in the UK. Went from 44m in 2002 to 120m in 2009.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Psybro posted:

A great thing about Stewart Lee is that he satirises people who won't like his act, during the act, and actually does it throughout the Top Gear bit, something lost on people who prefer stuff like the American stand-ups he takes the piss out of.

The absolute pinnacle being lying flat on his back off stage screaming about Del Boy falling through the bar, before looking at the camera and resignedly saying, "That's what you like."

So wait... what's the problem with that particular scene again?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Hoops posted:

I dunno, in my opinion Only Fools and Horses has dated horribly, has never made me laugh even once and is looked upon with nostalgia-tinted glasses by a shockingly high number of people as some great British sitcom institution. If they aired it now it would get slaughtered in the press. I'll take people's word for it that it was hilarious in its day but that style of comedy is long gone now and personally it does nothing for me.

I imagine a lot of people will find this post very contrarian no matter what so I may as well go all out and throw in Fawlty Towers and Dad's Army in there with it too. They're not funny.

gently caress it: Father Ted and Red Dwarf weren't as good as people remember either.

Madness, every single word!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I dunno, I reckon Only Fools and Horses is the best sitcom this country has ever made, you've just got to pretend those last three never happened.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Psybro posted:

Nothing, it's about the fact that a straightforward bit of slapstick has attained legendary status far beyond its significance because of the lazy reductiveness in popular culture, that produces these talking heads shows focusing on individual moments.

Yeah after watching the clip I completely get where Lee is coming from, I had never seen that bit before.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I really can't see any BBC produced drama appealing to me, but I may as well give this a bash for one episode at least.

Why not in HD BBC?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
What an absolute pile of shite this is.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The only thing that would have surprised me would have been that stupid ship landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I watched half of the ice episode and it had some amazing stuff in it. Definitely gonna try and catch up with the rest.