Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Gram-O-Phone posted:

It's not funny the fiftieth time and constantly repeating, and re-repeating it out of context, and actually analyzing the scene and the performances, ruins an otherwise perfectly good piece of comedy slapstick. The worst thing you can do to a joke is repeat it and dissect it.
So it's quite interesting that Lee bases half of his act on exactly that!

Just kidding, I love him too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

wickles posted:

That was a slowed down bit from one of his stand up shows (with the gentleman bombers line missed out!)* with a few bits added - but it worked really well.

One of the things I appreciate about Lee is that when he does re-perform a routine that a lot of his audience will have seen, he finds a way to put a new spin on it. In the original stand-up set, the IRA bit came across as Lee without persona, just presenting something provocative and unconventional as a stand-up topic. This time round I felt like he was sort-of doing a send-up of a 'traditional' comedian (in contrast to that idea of 'alternative comedy' from the 80s) - emphasising the twisted patriotic elements and disregard for P.C.

And of course the Armando bit to go with it was the cherry on the cake...

*In the Stewart Lee book, he mentions that around the time of the original one or two other stand-ups came up with the same line independently, so maybe he didn't want to tread on any toes. I did miss when he got that audience to "have a little clap" for the IRA, but I guess it wouldn't have worked within the episode.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Mr. Squishy posted:

It instilled the feeling I'm more used to while on the internet: that is, the uncertainty of which would be weirder: this guy existing, or someone willing to spend so much time to create him. I mean, given that it's Banksy, I'm ready to believe it's the latter, but drat; that was an actual young Mr. Brainwash in some of the shots.

I figured it was most likely that the 'deception' in the film occurs at the point when Banksy told him to put on a little art show. Rather than just offhand suggesting it, I suppose the two of them put their heads together to work out how to make a show that would intentionally expose these street art poseurs as being entirely undiscerning. Certainly I'd like to believe that all the rest of the film happened as shown...

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Paperhouse posted:

I don't think it's so much about Amstell ripping apart a certain type of "celebrity", but I would say that when he became host the show did become less about the quiz and more about mocking the guests. I'm sure there are a lot of examples of people who were "in" who still got some pretty harsh treatment from Amstell, and vice versa.

The loss of Lamarr was as damaging to the show as losing Littleton from I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue and Deayton from Have I Got News For You, because they all occupied the straight man role. There's something grounding about having a host who wants to appear entirely above the games that they are presiding over (not to mention how much better autocue material is from someone who can tell it with a straight face).

In particular Lamarr was a lot like a good compère at a stand-up gig, putting down guests who were getting disruptive with a well aimed barb. Amstell never deployed his wit with the same direction to my mind, it drew attention to a guest instead. Still, not as bad as drafting in the same guests to host the show, which is more like letting the lunatics run the asylum...

Heavy_D fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 2, 2011

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

incredible bear posted:

I'm glad you guys have that show. I did see some of the battenberg episode (I assume this is the right show?), couldn't get hooked on the premise of 14 people all making the same thing with the same stuff though.
Someone already mentioned that non-technical rounds let the participants do different things, but I just had to say that I really liked the battenberg round because of how objective it made the competition. You could absolutely see why the best ones were best, no wishy-washy judging!

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Trin Tragula posted:

I got horribly turned off by Stewart Lee when I saw that ridiculous bit where he talks about Del Boy falling through the bar. Anything can be unfunny and banal if you talk about it in a stupid voice and only use words from Dick & Jane.

I interpreted that bit as less of a literal criticism of the sequence in which Del Boy performs and more the way in which endless repetition can rob a comedic sequence of the humour it once had. This angle seems fitting to the material it was attached to, which was tediously repetitive. If you wanna say you hated that bit because it was tedious and repetitive then I can't deny that it was, I just don't think it was intended to be taken at face value.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

You guys might be interested in a work by acclaimed filmmaker Ken Korda, who filmed a TV special on Pat Sharp. I am happy to be able to present it to you because a patron of the arts has uploaded it to youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cd2TLIbhMg

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Kuno posted:

Oh my God; I just finished watching 15 Million Credits. It was incredible. The guy playing the main character should get some sort of award for that speech, that was an incredible piece of acting.
But wasn't your enjoyment slightly ruined by the fact that the show instantly undermines it? The idea of the rebellion being packaged up and marketed to viewers extends beyond the reality of the show. You as a view of Black Mirror are being emotionally manipulated by the same speech packaged in a way you can consume happily. Not to say that it was the wrong decision to do so or made the show worse at all, it just made me instantly guilty for loving it...

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

http://www.bristol.gov.uk/sites/default/files/assets/documents/Myth%20busting%20booklet%20on%20Gypsies%20and%20Travellers.pdf isn't necessarily the most comprehensive factsheet but it is the nearest to hand.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Z-Magic posted:

Get The Chris Morris Music Show. Think you can get it from Cookd and Bombd. Personally I think it's some of his best work to date.

If you enjoy this, there are a couple of other shows from this era (the "comedy on Radio 1" era) which you might also like. There are maybe 6 shows of the same format but with Armando Ianucci hosting, again I think Cookd and Combd have it.

You might spot Lee & Herring guesting on the second season of that show. If you like what you hear there then you can track down their Fist of Fun radio show, and the music show follow-ups in the same vein.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Panorama ran a show a few weeks back detailing the tax avoidance schemes of several large corporations engaged in robbing the country of billions, but that got slightly less than gently caress-all coverage in the media. I'd speculate :tinfoil: that was because the same morally-outraged media outlets condemning Carr are probably funnelling huge chunks of their revenue through the same avoidance schemes that were exposed in the programme.
Private Eye confirmed serveral newspaper groups do this a few issues ago. I don't know which is more disappointing, the two-faced way that The Guardian condemns tax evasion then practices it anyway, or The Mirror which does it without comment.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

That's rich coming from The Guardian which is a...you guessed it, massive tax avoider. You should buy from gofasterstripe though because they're awesome. If you like buying things from awesome people, I can also vouch for Lucy Porter's The Good Life and Simon Munnery's Hello. They don't quite come with the same level of awesome packaging and extras that Fist of Fun got but they are fun jaunts into unusual stand-up.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Kin posted:

If you're looking for actual innovation in journalism, it's come in the form of putting the camera in the hands of the public. We just need to get some "professional" journalists to actually loving report on it now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9FaIyc4vpU
Mr Curtis agrees

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Watched Revolution...not fantastic but I couldn't help laughing at them dressing as chuggers to be vulgar to some bankers. I'm surprised that nobody has compared it to the Friday Night Armistice without the studio bits. For reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErMO33ttR68
Although the Armistice gets two free point just for featuring Simon Pegg, I think it's stronger anyway. I've been desperately searching for the clip where they try to trigger the 1997 electon early by removing Major's majority of one using any means possible, but it seems to have disappeared from youtube (although it might be within one of the many full episodes lodged there).

In its place you could compare doorstepping red-carpet celebs with questions on bailouts to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLLW3c3g-F4

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

TinTower posted:

And especially as he was saying "It's on the autocue, I have to do it!" about his Hull joke, I wonder how much the show's producers strong-armed him into telling the joke.

It's certainly one of those things that a panel show with a regular host is much less vulnerable to - a guest host wouldn't have nearly the same amount of power over vetting material beforehand. A regular host is much more likely to be contributing to the writing, and so more able to suggest a less offensive alternative. Radcliffe can't really threaten to not come back next week, because he's not coming back next week...

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

sex pervert posted:

edit: I think it must have been some comedy inside joke. Like The Actor Kevin Eldon, but a car.
I think the server must have eaten some of your post, so I fixed it.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

That bit where Brian Cox ripped off Drugs Live was surely telly everyone could enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ruBtLIvJM

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

The Power of Nightmares and The Century of the Self are two of his best. I found some of the early, more self-contained strands like Pandora's Box and The Living Dead a bit harder to get through, there was less of a hook to them.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

[UK] The Great British programme discussion: "More Miranda?" "Nah, you're ok"

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Exploiting-the-licence-fee-terms-TV-catchup-time: Charlie Brooker edition

Best moment: Paddy McGuinness descending smoothly from a pipe to the sound of Mario Bros

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Jonnty posted:

It completely ruined the effect Apple were going for when they did the UK version of the PC vs. Mac ads.

Yeah, but Apple were in a bit of a bind, as their first choice obviously wasn't going to work out...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih41uU17P_o&t=114s

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Saying it in a high voice doesn't make it any more true.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

I think we should write in demanding other shows in this mould - like 15 to 1 Out of 10 Cats or The 8 Out of 10 Cats Drop Live*

*Disclaimer: no actual cats dropped

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

ineptmule posted:

The Day Today was amazing and that started on Radio.

Also Knowing Me Knowing You...could it be that Alan Partridge is the key to a successful transition?

Actually I'm Alan Partridge is a better example of how to get it right - because it was a TV show it was easier to step outside the radio shows that Alan was doing and explore his off-mic life.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

onoflalks posted:

and now Limmy

Limmy is actually a really good fit for the show, if he's doing bits in the format Doug Stanhope had.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Fatkraken posted:

The narration/speaking directly to the audience also works much better on the radio. There are other radio sitcoms where this is also the case, I quite enjoy Clare in the Community in a kind of middle of the road way, but I don't think it would work as a tv show without being completely retooled
That Mitchell and Webb Sound could offer a hundred examples of that same phenomenon, the Snooker Commentators went from effortless to over-the-top in a really disappointing manner. Not to say that the TV series offered nothing - the "behind the scenes" sketches where Mitchell and Webb spoofed themselves work well - but most of the shared stuff carried over poorly.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

onoflalks posted:

Speaking of great news and thread favourites, Chris Morris will be in the new series of Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle, which starts a week on Saturday (the 1st of March).
The Armando interview segments in the second series were a great move - cutting down on the hit-and-miss sketches for the much more enjoyable head-to-head chats did the show good (plus made it cheap enough to commission!). Morris did a set of improvised interviews with Peter Cook called Why Bother? - so I'm expecting good things from him in this role.

Also to try and head off the same arguments over the show each week: Stewart Lee's arrogant persona is part of both the performance and the joke. It is possible to be aware of this and still not enjoy his comedy. It would be swell if we could skip past all the "how do you enjoy this self-important twat" and "you just don't get it man" posts.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Chunk5 posted:

I tried Lee's career resurrection due to goon recommendations. I generally like his choice of subject matter but I find his slow style quite grating. And tonight's episode with the recycling of his whole set, only on a pretend phone, was unforgivable. I found his short stint on This Week easier to deal with.

Am I missing something?

I think there was an intentional connection between the content and form of the show, all of which related to imagination. The hypocrisy of Stewart Lee the Comedian criticizing lack of imagination, while simultaneously recycling material from earlier in the set and the imaginary telephone conversation conceit from a previous series, is meant to be laughed at. They edited the show intentionally to undermine his proposed ending, leaving him hanging and denying him his blackout - the joke is at his expense. Someone mentioned elsewhere that the phone conversation idea is only made funny by the power of imagination - the audience filling in the blanks with something amusing. I don't think it was the funniest bit of Stewart Lee standup, but I do think there were ideas there.

Chris Morris launched pretty ferociously though - took him only five minutes before Lee was agreeing he was "The Devil". Wasn't so sure where the wikileaks bit came from though (apart from the general censure of the Internet) - perhaps the interview was edited down too far for all of it to click.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Squalitude posted:

Stuff like this makes me hope the license fee will be abolished soon.

Stewart Lee just called to say he'd like to buy this quote for the cover of his next DVD.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Gorn Myson posted:

Watching Stewart Lee and Chris Morris crack up at the end of that series has got to be one of my favourite bits of TV this year.

I'm not sure that Chris Morris lived up to the level Armando Iannucci set in the prior series, but the bit where Morris is tabling satirical animals-in-things, and Lee dismisses "Sausages?" with a slightly taken-aback "Not on their own, no" struck me as a lovely moment.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Often TV networks screen shows close to their US airdates in order to mitigate the urge/need to pirate them online. They certainly lose that advantage if they're gonna be half a season behind by the time it's aired to completion.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

eating only apples posted:

Not TV but the beeb: there's going to be a Radio 4 adaptation of Good Omens starring Mark Heap and Peter Serafinowicz as Aziraphale and Crowley respectively. Also Paterson Joseph as Famine. And a few other people. I want to know who Simon Jones and Clive Russell are playing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/r4-good-omens

That's a brain-meltingly good combination of leads. Have to wait a while for it though, from the link:

quote:

Fans will have to wait excitedly to hear the final drama as it is currently scheduled to air in December. It will broadcast across a week in five half-hour episodes and culminate in an hour-long final apocalyptic showdown, on a Saturday, shortly before Woman’s Hour, should the world not actually end.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Irisi posted:

3 hour retrospective on Chris Morris' radio career was broadcast on BBC4 Radio Extra today, know a lot of folk in this thread like him. It's available for the next four weeks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04sp5pq

Yeah, this is excellent. I love how they took the time to really sort the myth from the fact, and they picked some great bits of the 1994 radio show to share (the tortoise euthanasia bit always stuck with me). I also found a fun bit of Chris Morris not quite off-the-radio in its entirety for the first time - the Select Magazine Flexi-Disc where Chris plays Wayne Carr:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3SNS5OWEZI

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Jehde posted:

Brass Eye - I loved the sort of satire in this, reminded me of Look Around You, one of my favourites. It was good, but too short and could be inconsistent at times.

If you enjoyed this, you could do worse than The Day Today, an earlier Chris Morris show which satirises broadcast news as Brass Eye does current affairs programming.

To not exclusively post about Chris Morris twice in a row, I'll throw a recommendation in I don't see often enough in this thread: the one man Rob Brydon vehicle Marion and Geoff. It's kinda closer to Peep Show than anything else in your list but it's kinda equal parts comedy and drama, so it's not always applicable.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

On a radio programming note, the adaptation of Good Omens with Peter Serafinowicz and Mark Heap started last night on Radio 4 with a double bill, and it's just as good as I'd hoped. There's now not enough time to catch up before the 3rd episode airs live, but it's all there on iplayer to enjoy...

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

McDragon posted:

Some day these experts will become wise to Philomena Cunk, and it will be a sad time.
Yeah, it's part of what did for Chris Morris as a prankster, he was just too well known to pass as Wayne Carr or anything.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

If you're missing Limmy from weekly wipe, he's left you a valentines day message instead (another part of the strand of videos posted by Mr Squishy)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02j5llz/funny-valentines-limmy-a-wee-video-for-the-lassies

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Is this one really worse than the last four times? Clarkson gets into Top Gear profile-boosting trouble with such regularity, it's almost as if it weren't real...

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Could Alan Partridge be the next Mama Bear of Top Gear?

Perhaps the UKTV thread has some suggestions, Claudia Winkleman? Just hope it doesn't become yet another "guest presenter" show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Junkenstein posted:

I hope he doesn't chicken out of this and he gets a right kicking as his final Beeb appearance.

I hope he gets replaced with a tub of lard. On Top Gear as well.