Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Fatkraken posted:

Off topic, but I LOVE Drop the Dead Donkey, the only example I know of of the topical sitcom. It was set in a newsroom and featured up to the second stories based on the previous weeks news. I don't know if it was largely written in advance and the topical jokes spliced into the script or if it was literally put together wholecloth in a week

My memory might be failing me, but I think the topical jokes were added in to the meeting/round up bit at the start of the show, with the odd reference put in occasionally throughout the rest of the show. The actual story of the episode was written in advance. So I think it was filmed on the day of the evenings show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Did they just recycle a Frankie Boyle joke?

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Noonsaliwah posted:

Yep, his name is Mark Williams and those sketches were from The Fast Show. That was some quality entertainment when I was 10, but god I don't want to imagine how bad it's aged.

PS. He plays Arthur Weasley now in Harry Potter

He also seems to be a massive engineering nerd (like Chris Barrie and Robert Llewellyn) as he has presented a bunch of programs about the industrial revolution that regularly pop up on the cable/satellite channels.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Speaking of Brooker, it seems that How TV Ruined My Life is not on this week :(

Gotta make way for the cricket world cup I guess.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

I used to love Automan as a kid :ohdear: Thanks Charlie for pointing out how homo-erotic it was.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

delicious beef posted:

Slightly offtopic but hopefully not too much - has anyone got or played with one of the Sony internet tvs that have lovefilm and iplayer and stuff built in? There's a cheapy one with a PS2 in Richer Sounds I was thinking of buying and I was wondering if they're worthwhile.

I bought one in the January sales and I am highly delighted with it. Few things...

4oD is currently not available, although apparently it is on the way.
I have a Virgin Media 20MB broadband connection and it streams just fine, although it does choke up on the LoveFilm HD content.
Speaking of LoveFilm, only a small selection of Films are available to stream to your TV, all in Standard Definition. You can only watch Trailers in HD at the moment.
BBC iPlayer content is not in HD.
Depending on the model, you may have a wired ethernet port, although it should have a usb connection so you can get the sony wireless card for your tv. If you fancy streaming HD content, go wired.

Also, download PS3 Media Server, you can stream most video formats from your PC to your TV.

Thats about all I can think of at the moment, although if you have anymore questions I will try to answer them!

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

marnold posted:

Sort of going through a withdrawal of british comedy.

Office UK is my favorite comedy of all time (Party Down/Arrested Development/Futurama/Simpsons round my top 5)

Enjoyed IT Crowd, though didnt think it was brilliant. Black Books was great. Peep Show is great.

Been sort of amiss with the last few years of British Comedies. So what is worth watching peeps? Awkward Office-esque style humor with a heart is the best of all worlds.

Ideal, with Johnny Vegas. Best thing to have come out of BBC 3 in my opinion.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

NaDy posted:

I literally don't understand how they could have let the Sri Lankan government to get away with this. How can we justify going into Libya and do nothing for the Sri Lankans? I'm so bloody confused with governments in general, they've all left me so jaded.

How much oil does Sri Lanka have?

Exactly.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Metrication posted:

Does anyone remember that series with Sue Perkins and a guy who was a food critic (I think) and they recreated the diets of various eras?

That would be Giles Coren, Victoria Corens brother. I think it was called The Supersizers go... They also did one where they tried to live 'The Good Life'

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Shanty posted:

Three? What the heck. Are they doing the Thor story as a three-parter or is this some entirely new batch of lunacy?

From here.
I think they are new episodes, the synopsis (spoiler tags for your pleasure)...

In Episode 1, Dirk discovers the link between a client who believes the Pentagon are trying to kill him, and a seemingly unrelated client who’s horoscopes appear to be coming true.
In Episode 2 Dirk returns to his old university to protect a valuable woman-shaped robot which is stolen, plunging Dirk and Macduff into a murder mystery where they’re the prime suspects.
Episode 3 sees Dirk’s old clients being murdered at random, with him as the only connection.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

DominoDancing posted:

QI Series J started yesterday. Was it just me or was it really weirdly edited? The klaxons didn't go off once (except for that little joke on Victoria Coren at the end), yet somehow Jimmy Carr and Alan Davies had negative scores.

Probably because the QI score rules were written by the same chap that writes the rules for Mornington Crescent.

Real answer is that they probably film about 2 or 3 hours of material, so the editor decides what gets shown

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Metrication posted:

'There are legends on the railway and then there are leg ends'

My thought when I watched that was 'and you are a bell-end'. I got a real David Brent vibe off that manager guy.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Bob Godfrey, creator of Roobarb has died, 5 days after the narrator Richard Briers :( RIP
There goes another bit of my childhood.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21552718

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Xachariah posted:

Has there ever been a traditional family sitcom anyway? Most of the comedy in family sitcoms is due to wacky family members.

What about Butterflies? From what I remember, that had a typical family, with none of the members being particularly wacky. Although I do remember it being slightly dark and depressing, also.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

So, it turns out that Brian Blessed is a massive space nerd! He is on The Infinite Monkey Cage this week, talking about Space Tourism and how he desperately wants to go to Mars.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

thehustler posted:

Susie Dent is the best thing about Countdown, obviously. :heysexy:

I think you spelled Rachel Riley wrong.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Ben Soosneb posted:

Looks like a cracking bunch this year. I was hoping Toby was going to pull it out of the bag in the final round but he had a bit of a disaster throughout. Much laughing from our sofa when he'd realised his salty mistake.

Still one of the most entertaining things on the telly.

e: What with so many people in the early rounds. I sort of wish they'd do an internet only extended version. They skimmed over some pretty impressive looking cakes. What was going on with the hat?

That's one of my pet peeves about the early rounds. Less chitchat about the social history baking, save that until the contestants have been thinned out a bit. More focus on their cakes please!

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Radiapathy posted:

Hello thread. In the USA during the mid 80s, A&E used to play a British import show on weekday afternoons where teams had to complete a series of outdoor challenges using their ingenuity and a number of items left by producers of the show.

For example, they might have to ascend a cliff, and all they'd have to do it with would be "a pulley, a milk bottle, and a ball of twine."

What was the name of this show? I've searched on and off for years. It was back-to-back with Danger Mouse for a couple of years.

Was it Now Get Out Of That?

I completely forgot about that, until your post. I think I used to enjoy it too! In a similar vein, you may like The Adventure Game, a similar show but more aimed at children.

Edit: Bonus Youtube.

Catzilla fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 29, 2013

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Captain Mediocre posted:

For some unholy reason I was reading the comments under an article about this show the other day. Mostly anti-Oliver but one guy was defending the principle that home-made food is cheaper than frozen supermarket equivalents. He proudly did the maths to show that home made pizza is cheaper, if you spend £50 at once to make ingredients for ~60 pizzas. If you aren't smart enough to eat gradually deteriorating and mould-cultivating pizza every day for two months then poverty is what you deserve I guess.

That doesn't sound right to me. For £5 worth of ingredients, I can make enough dough and sauce for 8 pizza's. It's only a cheese and tomato pizza, but it is a pizza.

Besides, you do know you can freeze the pizza dough and sauce and you don't have to make 60 pizzas at once...

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Irisi posted:

Either way, it's rather grating. She's a marvellous baker, but the constant, piteous moping is getting too much.

She is a philosophy student, so constant, piteous moping would be her natural state.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

I don't think either Kimberly's or Ruby's cake was good enough to win in an earlier round, let alone the show stopper round of the final. And I can totally see Francis opening a cake decorating business on the back of this.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Korak posted:

So I've been looking for something new to watch with my partner. We both love Luther, Being Human, Sherlock, anything by Charlie Brooker. Have there been any new shows out that kind of match up with those types of shows that we may like?

Have you tried Misfits yet? It's funny as hell, pretty dark in places and has quite high production values.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

jfjnpxmy posted:

That was one hellacious rigged episode of Only Connect, tell ya what.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice that Victoria Coren appeared to give The Board gamers so much more leeway than the other team.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Don't forget Ideal a slightly surreal comedy with Johnny Vegas about a small time weed dealer (about the best thing BBC3 has done in my opinion)

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Jehde posted:

Finished 15 Storeys High and moving on to Ideal, another great recommendation. Apparently blokes in a flat is my favourite type of sitcom.

If you like physical comedy, Bottom is pretty great.

On that note, did anyone watch the Rik Mayall tribute last night? I got pretty choked up at the end there. :(

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

DaWolfey posted:

Mongrels and The Smoking Room were the only good BBC 3 shows.

Ideal

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Comrade Fakename posted:

You mean Location Location Location, the Channel 4 show?

He's probably talking about Escape To The Country.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

goatface posted:

I remember getting angry at a daytime show where they were lauding a guy for buying a nice 4-bed inner city house and turning it into a massively overcrowded 7-bed student let that he could rent out for about three times as much. According to my sister (who watched a lot more daytime tv than I ever have) this was pretty much the core premise of the programme and they always ruined the houses.

Ahh, Homes Under The Hammer, or as I like to think of it, a list of people who will be first against the wall when the revolution comes.
Very rarely do people buy houses on that to live in.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

oceanside posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for good 90s or early 00s crime dramas?

Been re-watching the likes of Cracker, Prime Suspect, Murder Investigation Team, The Lakes and of course The Bill.

Any good shows along these lines that I might have overlooked?

Inspector Morse is worth watching also.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

On Black Mirror, did anyone spot the Bioshock reference in episode 2?
"Would you kindly open the door...

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

loving hell, Ethyl and Ernest is destroying me :smith:

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Lemon posted:

Well, I'm not very bright, you see. It's been bugging me actually, I want to find a screenshot or something to see just how I could have missed it, but there's nothing online yet.

And when I say a big fan, I mean, like, a major part of my formative years, can recite the entire script to Bottom Live 2 big fan. So really I've no idea.

There is a picture in this tweet:
https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/942767862367731713
That bizzaroAzreal posted a little further up.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Funnily enough, I'm in a hire car with a digital radio and this is a good and correct opinion and I'd never listened to 6music that much before now

Comedy option, listen to LBC for gammon opinions.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

I saw it in the cinema. It's really worth watching.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Taear posted:

He's always like that, doesn't look any different to me?

I wish this bakeoff hadn't had Russel Brand in it. He's like that guy in every internet community who tries to be interesting by using big words and that's all there is to him.
Loved Jon Richardson though.

I thought he was ok in it. Not as irritating as i thought he would be. Besides, he did gat Mary Berry to say the words 'giant vagina' on tv (I'm not sure if she was referring to him though)!

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Pissflaps posted:

That was Pru Leith not Mary Berry.

Berry is older and has weird curled up claw hands.

Dammit your right. Sucks getting old I guess!

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

They should have come up with one of these and offered Lord Sugar the first ride.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Escobarbarian posted:

Why would I be offended by some lame twist ending over normalising the worst slur for gay people on what will no doubt be the most-watched show in the country on Christmas Day

I didn’t see it, but am curious now, could some one let me know what happened (in spoiler tags)?

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Dell_Zincht posted:

Season 4 has been announced too, and the idea is that a different female writer will be responsible for each season. Season 1 was Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Season 2 was Emerald Fennell and Season 3 has been written by Suzanne Heathcoate.

I'm with you on Season 2's poor writing. I managed to make it to the end, and thought the final episode was pretty bad. Part of me hoped there would be no more, but a large part of me wanted to see more Villanelle. I'm glad that judging by the trailer Season 3 won't be "The Adventures of Eve and Villanelle" as like you say, the characters seem to have had a soft reset.

Season 2 ended pretty much where the last book ended, but took a completely different route to get there. I wonder if Luke Jennings is having much input in the series going forward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

crispix posted:

I watched a bit of it again last night partly because I fancy one of the blokes in it. I think the problem with Lucas is how unpersonable he is. He tries too hard to make jokes and when he can't make them he resorts to doing wacky accents at people. He doesn't give a poo poo about the people there or what's going on with their stuff

It seems Noel Fielding seems to have a genuine rapport with contestants whereas Matt Lucas seems to just treat them as a straight man to his jokes