Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr
Is anyone going to be watching that new Phone Shop that's been advertised loads on Channel 4 when it's on? Anyone? No thought not.

What scares me most about it is they may have put the best jokes on the advert, I'm cringing at the thought of the lesser material on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

Dicky B posted:

Is that a new series? The first one was excellent and I was hoping they would bring it back for another.

Yup, new series of 6 episodes.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

Bloodbath posted:

Episode 2 of Partridge works abroad. Can't seem to find one for ep 1 though :(

Edit - "Simon Le Bon, which is actually French for Simon The Good"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucrpgmJxx0E&feature=player_embedded There you go.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

cloudchamber posted:

Search Youtube for a show called Space Cadets.

As in the Johnny Vaughn presented reality show which sent a the winning members of the public into space?

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

cloudchamber posted:

Nope. The Sci-Fi quiz show hosted by Greg Proops with Bill Bailey and Craig Charles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKFNqN6Pjgk

Look out for the episode with Terr Pratchett.

Ah, well that's OK then, I thought that recommendation was a little out of place.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

DaWolfey posted:

I loved that but my friends found it bewildering.

Easier to follow was an original show he did on (I think) the Paramount Channel - Either/Or

It was on UKPlay. The best gameshow where the winner lost...

If you're ever in Edinburgh for the fringe try and catch his AGM. About an hour of FutrTV/Attention Scum stand up and poetry, then off to an art gallery (which seemed a lot more like just one of his mates houses), for wine and a nice game of Chess-Pool.

reality_groove posted:

The internet is no doubt chock full of hilarity as most of us are aware, however it seems that every comedy show now uses youtube clips and website comments to replace actual content. I'm looking at you Russell Howard's Good News and [b]Have I Got News for You.[b]

The worst part is it used to be quite good rather than just 'Oh look at this funny youtube clip'. Good news is a format built on lazy, HIGNFY is one that slowly descended.

reflir posted:

David Mitchell has never been on Never mind the buzzcocks. Paul Foot probably came closest.

Stephen Fry was a guest team captain once... He looked rather out of place, but it was a very good show, though if he was on all the time it may have started to grate (or just become increasingly fantastic).

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

marktheando posted:

They should either cancel HIGNFY or get a new permanent host and new team captains. As great as Hislop and Merton have been in the past I'm just really fed up with them doing the same old poo poo every week.

If I remember rightly didn't Merton leave for a series or 2? Mind this was probably 15ish years ago. Was he focusing on stand up, then decided HIGNFY was easier?

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

Purple Gromit posted:

Someone mentioned Life on Mars earlier and it reminded me of the weird american remake (with Harvey Keitel as the Gene Hunt character).
Thinking about it there have been quite a few brit shows remade in the US to varying degrees of success.
Queer as Folk and the Office did well doing a variation on the originals.
Cracker and Life on Mars stuggled through one season before cancellation.
Finally theres the poo poo pilot only attempts at Spaced (never even shown anywhere), Red Dwarf (twice) and the IT Crowd.

Are there any programs that could be improved or even matched in a remake, or are they doomed to be a pale imitation of the original?

Sanford and Son done well, but I've just found out there was a Men Behaving Badly remake, I can't imagine how anyone though that would translate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_Behaving_Badly_%28U.S._TV_series%29

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

Lady Demelza posted:

I'm not sure about this programme. With less engaging hosts it would be unbearable. The pre-recorded sections are great but the bits in Hawaii seem too much like filler.

The Hawaii bits are awful, because of that woman host. Have you noticed she keeps saying stuff is fantastic, brilliant or amazing in the most uninterested voice often while changing the subject.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

MisterLizard posted:

Back to the story and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to tune in for next week.
Nope it's on tonight, so we get to make more judgements quicker

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

Ratjaculation posted:

Why Jeremy Vine, what did we ever bloopity-do to you?

I love people just breaking down into nothing but laughter on air.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

incredible bear posted:

Okay I've tried Google News and Twitter, what's this Jeremy Vine thing about?

I think it's the Adam and Joe show Points of View music talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu62FBIm49k

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
I'm forever getting Josie Long and Josie D'Arby mixed up, listened to about 10 minutes thinking that it was the ex CBBC presenter.

It made sense in my mind because she's done some comedy things like the second series of Look Around You. I'll try not to make this mistake again. What makes it worse is that Josie Long has a really distinct voice.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

henpod posted:

Noo, channel 4 had stopped showing frasier at 8 am on weekdays :(. I always watch that while I am getting ready to go to work. Now its been replaced by T4 twats and Friends :(. Not happy.

I think it's for the summer, hopefully it'll be back eventually. Though it does feel like they have done this to spite me as I'm off for 2 weeks, and I have to leave the house about 10 past 8 to get to work so I never catch a full episode.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

Wormophile posted:

that sort of prison talent show thing,

That would be The Slammer

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

HERAK posted:

But they are inexplicably not using the bandwidth freed up to add additional multiplexes for more channels.

Selling it to phone providers is much more profitable.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

Cerv posted:

Oh God, do we need more channels?

No, just the ones we have already in HD.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

thebardyspoon posted:

So will the Eddie Izzard and David Mitchell with a beard team be able to make up for getting Jamie Oliver and Miranda Hart on Big Fat Quiz of the Year?

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

Mid Morning Matters is one of the densest pieces of comedy I think I've ever seen. There are just SO many funny moments crammed into the like 8 minutes that it's impossible to savour every single one. It's got the same sort of pace as Arrested Development, in a way.

Will the next episodes still be short, or will they be half an hour or whatever? It'll be interesting to see if they can maintain the same pace.

11 Minutes according to places. I'm liking Alan's quote on the return of the series.

Star of the show Alan Partridge said: "I've always been more than comfortable in my association with this warmly regarded mid-range lager. I am quietly flabbergasted that the good people at Foster's think that, by associating themselves with my webcast, people will consume more of their product.

"I don't drink it myself but I'm familiar with it and firmly believe that the 20-30 age demographic should have access to affordable lager. Going forward, I look forward to moving forward with Foster's in an atmosphere of bland co-operation. It's a good fit. It feels right. I like it."

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
No you have it all wrong, the 3 little pigs is the new Go Compare advert.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

Mr Owl posted:

Great news for fans of Luther!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/mar/22/luther-movie-idris-elba

Third Season and a Movie! I honestly never thought we would get too see Luther again after Idris Elba became so big in hollywood so this has cheered me right up after the 19p increase on greggs sausage rolls made me sad earlier

What? I used to have one of them with my last 50p when I was hungry, how much will they be after this hot pastry budget tax rise? I am livid.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

Kojiro posted:

Dang, that must've been a shock. He was aces on the show, my favourite part of it, easily. Shame he went out like he did, that was a little lame.

I thought they would have done more with the Hal being an Old One angle. Everyone just seemed to accept it rather too quickly rather than being extra weary of him, or shouting at him more than usual. Maybe they'll bring back the Mark Gatiss character with an 'old ones can't die easily' or just saying that he didn't get staked like they bought Herrick back with

That said I did really enjoy the last 3 episodes.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

netally posted:

He even has his own workout DVD. What the gently caress is all that about? I hope that this isn't going to start a trend of comedians doing workout DVDs. That's for ex-soap stars.

There was a Max and Paddy one too.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

Testro posted:

Re YouView, aren't you guys worried about being kicked out of the trial for breaking the confidentiality agreement?

I think reading the Olympic thread has made me a bit skittish!

What happened there?

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

Giedroyc posted:

1. Father Ted - Great. Terrible cop out 'happy ending'.

My old boss at work missed the last episode of this, so he asked his mate what happened.

It turns out the 3 main characters were bank robbers that fled Ireland after a huge heist and assumed the identity of priests so they could live a quite life with no bother on Craggy Island. No one would suspect a priest robbing a bank. The last episode was about the cops twigging on and surrounding the island to recapture the dangerous criminals. I think it ended in a big shoot out, possibly with Mrs Doyle as a hostage.

It was a few years before he managed to catch the real last episode, he was very disappointing when he saw it.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

Buml0r posted:

It is bothering me enormously that I don't know this, because it means my one true skill is flagging. I can sing you songs from Chips' Comic for flip's sake, I should be on top of this.

s it the days of the week song, "Turn around it's Monday again"? Because that gets stuck in my head periodically.

I was going to guess Henry's Cat for the music but after flicking through an episode on YouTube it has no incidental music. Though the style of music on the theme tune kinda fits.

Also thanks to my brother I've sat through an entire episode of Penny Crayon.. I don't think the music was from that now.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

NaDy posted:

I don't care about the gherkin's political views, it just tastes so good.

Seinfeld pretty much invented gherkins.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Ok, strange request, but did anyone have Sky back in the early nineties? Early as in before The Children's Channel was TCC?

The thing is with my Dad's sky box you could turn the audio channels over to French, German etc. and somehow one day I found that turning over to a certain audio channel gave English Audio, but the ad breaks were odd.

Every advert had the exact same tune, but depending on the advert the tune was a different length (as in made especially for that length of advert) or in a different key.

I used to love that song, but I got banned from switching to that audio channel because it done my families head in.

In case it jogs anyone's memory (or if people want to get inside the head of someone who had a crazy dream and believes it), here is my approximation of that tune for a very short advert.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

I think this (youtube) is what you're thinking off?

Oh yes! I thought I was the only one who knew! That has made my night.

Now the next question is why? Why did they do it?

Roidweiser fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 13, 2013

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

Presumably to cover up for English Commericals in the time before you could cut to regional streams easily?

ALso, if you happen to come across some Link Achnorman action, that'd be much apreciated, ta.

I was going to say I had no idea what you meant by Link Anchorman then I found this song video and it all came flooding back http://youtu.be/RVxAFj5pKtQ all his mannerisms.

Edit: I thought I could remember Ratkan II, well I remember watching it in the mornings, but any videos of it don't look as familer as I would expect. Except the intro http://youtu.be/F2tD-HgKPec

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

sex pervert posted:

I've seen ads for two different shows in which Olivia Colman (Sophie off Peepshow) was doing a "devastated face" and walking towards the camera. One of them was shown a lot. I guess that's her specialty. Voice of McVities chocolate digestives too! It's starting to feel like every consumer item I can think of has had an ad voiced by a Peepshow actor.

I always think of her as Carrie from the car insurance advert. "Carrie??" "Barry?" "Barry???" "Carrie????"

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

Irisi posted:

Or when we start fighting over whether or not Charlie Brooker has gone soft or not. That never gets old either.

That's scheduled in for next Thursday when 10 O'clock live returns.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

Junkenstein posted:

There's definitely something up with The Big Bang Theory audience laughter. A lot of the time it's just completely disproportionate to the joke. I haven't seen many epiosdes but it occasionaly has a clever little line that's worth a knowing nod and a chuckle, but the 'audience' will be howling with laughter. It really takes you out of it. I've never noticed that with older stuff like Friends, Seinfeld or whatever, or modern multi-cam US sitcoms like How I met your mother.

I think the worst was later series of Married with Children. Whenever someone came through a door there was around a minute of cheering/applause.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

sex pervert posted:

edit: maybe not six series, I can't seem to find out how many there have actually been. More than one is too many though, imo. :colbert:

I don't know like, they've had a whole load of regular series, then live from the clinic, embarrassing fat bodies, probably a series about holidays.

I still think it's there to try and make you sound like a liar when talk to Americans 'OK, so there is a show on over here, where instead of going to the doctors you just go to a TV studio. And they show this at 8 in the evening. And every episode they show boobs. And penis. And vaginas. Full frontal, in huge detail. Yes, I said at 8 ion the evening, no it's not a joke'

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
No love for Cybernet in the games on TV? Just basic news reviews previews without 'attitude'.

http://youtu.be/kHjTIpfNJI0

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

Further down the page it also reveals the Catherine Tate character Nan is getting revived. :(

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
So has anyone watched Storyville: The Great Hip Hop Hoax yet? It's an iPlayer exclusive at the moment. The basic Premise is 2 Scottish blokes hear there is an open audition down London to get a record deal to become the next Eminem/Usher, and they get laughed out the office for being Scottish.

They then decide to put on American accents and pretend they are from California to try and get some gigs down London, and it goes surprisingly well, so they embrace the characters they've created. Not the best documentary (a little muddled in places), but the idea, and how far they get with it is pretty outstanding. Totally worth a watch.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
You know what guys? I think I'm actually starting to miss the unscripted, time filling, come home drunk, late night, impossible to win, ITV quiz shows https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhk8jx_XVuQ

Much more entertaining than the constant roulette that's on now.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

Damo posted:

Also, has there ever been a dude lead acting in an original series and it's remake for another country, which are being filmed and aired basically simultaneously? Seems kind of weird -- I can't remember it ever happening.

I think Wilfred done that, with the guy playing the dog doing the American remake, then going back and doing the second series of the Australian one. Mind I didn't even know the version with Elijah wood was a remake until I watched the original on Lovefilm by accident.

Edit: Oh, just checked wiki and the US one was a year later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003

This is all I think of now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=003rMYfKjRA