Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Ramsays Best Restaurant was pretty good I thought. It's no Kitchen Nightmares but I liked the three tests that they did, it had a realness to it even though it's a competition show.

Did anyone who watch it think that even though Casamia had won a Michelin Star, they didn't seem like they deserved it? The food might have been exciting (if not palletable to everyone) but the front of house didn't seem quite up to par.

I thought the stars only went to truly superb restaurants in both their food and service, perhaps they are not as prestigious as I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7scMC7YSDQ

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

King Crab posted:

hollyoaks using nick cave for their advert? i dread to say that it is luring me into watching it.

I was transfixed by that advert until it said Hollyoaks then I got angry that it had the audacity to entertain me.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

fuf posted:

Was anyone else kind of bummed out by Eddie Izzard's performance on QI? At first I was annoyed 'cos it seemed like Bill Bailey and Alan were talking over him a lot, but then when he did get a chance to speak he wasn't very funny :( .

Eddie Izzard has been terrible in anything that isn't his own standup performances.

He can't act and his brain is wired for long surreal rambling, not quick wittedness and oneliners as required in any tv comedy quiz show.

He was also on Question Time some years ago. He had nothing of any value to say.

I should point out that I do love Eddie Izzard. His standup is fantastic.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
I'd do that to get away from hosting the One Show as well.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The worst part is that it's Series 2

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
I'm going to have to agree with my esteemed colleagues Flatscan and Tardster and echo my hated of Miranda too.

It's just very bad.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The best american sitcom of all time is The Larry Sanders Show.

Second place is one that only lasted one series called Action which is such a shame because it was loving hilarious, if you've never heard of it I strongly suggest you give it a watch.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Are we going to take bets on if Robert's Web is going to be poo poo?

Even Robert himself played it down a bit

@RealRobertWebb posted:

Can I just say that although Robert's Web is fab, not everything is instantly as good as a beloved sitcom that's been with us for 7 years...

How good can a weekly funny youtube video show be?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Beeswax posted:

You know what is and was great? Attention scum. That's what.

Wonder if it'll ever make it to DVD.

I loved that but my friends found it bewildering.

Easier to follow was an original show he did on (I think) the Paramount Channel - Either/Or

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Yeah... not great is it.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
So channel 4 going for the unfunniest hour on tv then. It's a bold strategy i'll give them that.

Also agreeing that Smack the Pony was fantastic.

edit: Oh and it's followed by the big bang theory. Make that 1.5 hours.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Hey, who remembers those loving muslims eh ? Ach they were as funny as the rotting body of jade goody being shat on by a coked up john leslie ?

I have fixed that for you to be more realistic.

The Perfect Element posted:

Tinselworm

Never mention Tinselworm

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
So Frankie Boyles new show has got the reaction Channel 4 needed to stir up some controversy and get some viewers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11976410 posted:

Channel 4 has defended the right of comedians to make jokes which "push boundaries" after reality TV star Katie Price complained about Frankie Boyle.

Price said Boyle's joke about her disabled son Harvey was "vile" and she criticised Channel 4 for showing it again in a repeat.

Media regulator Ofcom has launched an investigation into the complaint.

The charity Mencap described Boyle's joke as a "disgusting" attack on a disabled child.

Price said: "By repeating Frankie Boyle's show, Channel 4 are embracing and exploiting discrimination."

(I don't know what the joke was but I imagine he said gently caress in it, just because he can on late night channel 4 tv)

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Giles Brandreth

Or as an out-there suggestion, Brian Sewell

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
This lecturer is terrible did he really just posit "but two objects of the same weight but different surface areas fall at different rates don't they! You've seen snowflakes drifting to earth and a snowball just hitting the ground" then do an experiment with styofoam to prove it and then doesn't go on to say "but of course in a vacuum they would fall at the same rate. It's the air thats doing it, gravity affects both objects the same" because that is a terrible abuse of science and is teaching kids exactly the wrong thing.

The dick.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
This 2010 Unwrapped with Miranda Hart is pretty good. Very "xxxx the stupid version".

Except when Miranda is on the screen.

Obviously.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Reminder that the finale of Peep Show is on tonight at 10pm rather than Friday.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Anyone watching David Walliams' Awfully Good?

(It's poo poo, he's not funny)

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

reality_groove posted:

I really enjoyed Penn and Teller's show, although it's a shame they don't explain how the tricks are done

What was odd was that they did explain one of them - the guy who did the Derren Brown style subliminal message thing with Ross and the cards, they just came right out and said it was a trick deck.
I found it odd because they didn't explain anybody elses to us or obfuscated their conversation with the magician by using magician lingo. It made me wonder if they just hated that guys act or have a problem with all mentalist style acts. Penn was very vocal about how that stuff was bullshit...

Part of me thinks the entire show was a setup either just to make that specific point about mentalism (and diss Derren Brown) or to make us think that guy with the orange envelope trick was actually a genius when he looked like an amateur because he "beat" Penn and Teller.
That whole mystery adjudicator thing, what the gently caress was that about? Some guy in Rosses ear who he uses to gloat "Nope guys! He beat you!" Seems like some sort of misdirection to me :colbert:

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Fast and Loose

More like

Comedians Can't Do Improv But Corpsing Gets A Laugh So That Will Do

edit:
ok this top down scene thing is funny, but not because its improv, but because it's silly

DaWolfey fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 14, 2011

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Jonattan Yeah? is Thom Yorke

(Also professing my love for Nathan Barley)

Terrorists are gay,
Terrorists are gay,
Terrorists are gay!
... it's obvious!

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
1. No more WNN
2. Too many segments (or the show isn't long enough) I was frustrated by the constant "and we've run out of time for this bit, sorry"
3. The contrast between the serious interview bits and the comedy bits clashes pretty badly.
4. David Mitchell could be amazing but he desperately needs to learn how to conduct an interview. It's not that he was bad but he could be so much better.
5. Brooker isn't good at riffing, I want him to be better at it because I know he is funny and has good stuff to say but he's just not that good at it.
6. Why is Laren even there? She's not playing "the straight man" as someone said earlier because she's trying to be funny, but its like watching a young child thinking they are acting like an adult, it's sort of endearing to watch them try and play a grown up, but funny it ain't.
7. Debates aren't conducted by everyone saying "I think that" while ignoring the previous point. That's not a debate, its a series of speeches. Since they're all strong comedians in their own right you can expect this sort of thing as they all want to make their joke and get a laugh and they're used to being the center of attention. But there's not a lot of meat to chew on.

I liked it though, it was a first attempt and I have a lot of hope for it in the future.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Pretty off topic but if you've not heard of them, there is a guy who did video reviews all three Star Wars prequels. He utterly, totally, obliterates them, I mean, really tears them to shreds.

They're long (1 hour, 1h20, 1h40) and you're probably thinking "A review of a film thats longer than the film? gently caress that, who would do make such a dumb thing, and who would be dumber to watch it ?" but I promise you that they are well worth it, and they are very funny too.

Mr Plinkett of Red Letter Media

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Mike McIntorycunt wins best male tv comedian.

(against harry hill and david mitchell)

edit: British Comedy Awards, CH4.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Miranda wins against The Trip and Grandmas House.

Jesus christ.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Sarah Millican is.. ok I guess?

DaWolfey fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 22, 2011

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
loving YES

NEWSWIPE WINS BEST COMEDY ENTERTAINMENT PROGRAMME

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Rarity posted:

Wow, Samantha Spiro looks gorgeous.

I have literally no idea who she is.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Gram-O-Phone posted:

Get that loving oval office Russell Brand off my TV right now.

Except for what he just said about Brooker.

Because it's true.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
He said Charlie should go back to being an outsider reviewing tv/news and games on his couch with his clock on the wall and not a celebrity with new hair and a blue peter wife.

(He said it jokingly of course, but it's still true).

The people have spoken and they want Miranda Hart.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
drat, Konnie really changed the look of his front room.

DaWolfey fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 25, 2011

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
It was good. Thank gently caress for that.

Hey everyone, Charlies back!

I suppose it was a more accessible, more BBC2 *wipe with a bigger budget.
Though I wonder if Adam Curtis was involved at all.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Campbell knows that David is a total walkover in an interview, he's just totally in control of this.

I think the problem is that i'm sitting here and I want David to be witty, and clever, and go on one of his logical analysis rants.

But he can't. He's against an opponent with media training, not another comedian who knows to shut up and let him go for it because they're doing a comedy show. Instead he's stuttering out what he wants to say, he's making statements rather than asking questions. He's just listening, paralysed with no angle to make a joke.

Also I think Jimmy Carr and the audience sets the wrong tone. Or more accurately, it sets a tone that I don't want it to have.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Awesome Charlie bit. The audience needs to be a little less hasty to start laughing before he finishes a sentence, but at least he wasn't stopping and looking puzzled this time.

Yes. Great bit.

And I agree, the pace does seem to less frantic this week (a good thing)

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Eurovision chat:

Via twitter:

@bbceurovision: We're very proud to announce that the rumours are true - Blue is the UK representative for Eurovision this year. Full details to come...

@MrDuncanJames (A member of Blue I guess)
Yes the rumour r true!! We r representing the uk in this yrs EUROVISION! We r really excited and cant wait till u hear the song!! ITS BIG!!!

So how do we feel about not even getting to choose the song or singer at all this year? Because it pisses me off. Other countries go through a very lengthy selection process that the whole country gets involved in (think X-Factor but on a national pride level) whereas we toss out any old failed pop band and leave them to it.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Oh look, the song is one of their new songs.

And oh look they reformed in 2009 and have been gigging, now writing new material in 2010.

And oh look they want some free publicity.

And there's going to be a documentary about them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/eurovision/news/2010/announcement_2011.shtml

No no no, I wanted a good, well established band to try but not like this... not like this :gonk:

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Uncertain Frog posted:

If we seriously wanted to win the thing (though why would we) we need to take a look at the rest of Europe and the sort of things they put forward. They don't want a generic boyband song, they want something stuck in the late 80's / mid 90's, plenty of neon, smoke machines, fans and pyrotechnics and hopefully an electric violin or two.

They want a good song and they want to see we're trying and taking it seriously, nothing more.
Scooch or that x-factor bin man fit your criteria and they bombed horribly because the Europeans rightly realised that we were not taking it seriously and were just mocking them. In fact the overriding respone to the x-factor guy was "He was a bin man? Are you loving serious? Why are you sending us this? The UK has many great bands, why do you always send us this poo poo?"

We will never win if we send what we think they want because we always get it wrong. Besides, what DO they want? There is more variety in Eurovision songs than we perhaps think. Should we send a ballad? How about a dancy number? Or maybe an "indie" song like Germany did last year? Or maybe opera? or some sort of easy European tribal music ?

We will only ever win if we send something that is genuinely, sincerely on par with what we are capable of producing.

Tinribs posted:

someone well-known (if a tad Andrew LLoyd Webber-y)

It WAS Andrew Lloyd Webber. He was sat on stage during the performance "playing the Piano"!

Alan BStard posted:

if you are a successful British musician why would you enter something that is regarded as incredibly naff and a massive joke?

It is a shame that it is this way but it's only us who consider it as a massive joke. Naff it may be but Europe in general takes it seriously, if with tongue-in-cheek.
Other countries enter popular bands from their countries, but we never have until now which I suppose I should be applauding, but it's sticking in my throat because we've not had a say in who or what is going, we've just been told and it feels unfair, like a cynical attempt by a band who wants to ride on the Return Of Take That coattails and this is their fast track to achieve it.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Steve Higginson posted:

Ireland don't really take it seriously either. We sent a famous puppet last year (?) and this year we're apparently sending those tall-haired wank jobs.

Ireland know drat well that if they wanted to win it, they could. When they try, they win. They choose not to because they can't afford it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
And here is the reason why no good UK bands ever enter Eurovision.

http://eurovisiontimes.wordpress.com/2011/01/31/manager-blues-eurovision-bid-is-reckless-insanity/ posted:

This Saturday the BBC announced that the boy band Blue would reunite and represent the United Kingdom at the Eurovision Song Contest in Germany this May. The band will enter their self-penned song “I can” into the competition. Now their former manager Daniel Glatman has called the decision of his former protegés to represent the United Kingdom “reckless insanity“. “They will have to win. Anything less and their reputation would be in tatters. It is the equivalent of Lewis Hamilton entering a go-kart race - he will be the strong favourite but there is also the possibility he could lose. So why risk it?,” he explained.

Fear of humiliation. Humiliation being not winning because obviously we would have to win against all these unknown foreigners or we'd be a laughing stock of the whole world! Can't even win against Lordi? A rock band that's been around since 1996 and have made 5 albums? Nope, you've destroyed your reputation if you lose against them. Or how about that weirdo Verka Serduchka? What? 8 albums you say? Not just a Eurovision fad artist? Beloved in the Ukraine? Nope - sorry your reputation would be in tatters if you lost against him.