Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
A license fee is not a unique thing to the UK in any way, but I am not sure whether the license fees in other countries go directly to their state broadcasters in the way it does here.

Remember, a lot of state broadcasters, even though they may receive money from taxation, also do show adverts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

CBC too in Canada is taxation funded but shows adverts. Which reminds me. Hockey will be back on ESPN America soon gently caress yeah!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

The one good thing Channel 5 ever did was the British version of The Mole, which was absolute genius but died after two years because no fucker watched it because it was on Channel 5 :argh:

(The presenter, Glenn Hugill, later took a light-entertainment Endemol format and, as executive producer, turned it into this. Can't think of a more deserving bloke to get the success.)

He developed that? Christ.

The Mole was top.

Also this from his wiki:

quote:

In 1980, as a ten year old schoolboy, he garnered a degree of notoriety when a national I.Q. test designed for under 16's calculated his I.Q. as 207. It was the highest recorded result in the country. Local newspaper The Northern Echo then reported he took another test designed for adults and recorded a result of 177, which was the highest score the test was capable of registering.[1]

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

STV and UTV are independent of ITV, in that they're not owned by ITV plc but by STV group and UTV Media, who all have shares in the ITV franchise. ITV plc's organisational structure is the result of this shitfest:

Edit: I was reading that diagram wrong, I thought STV and UTV were on it somewhere but they're not, it's just ITV plc's diagram. But I'll leave the rest of this post here as written.

My Guernsey-born colleague insists that you amend that and add Channel Television to that diagram, as he worked for them briefly. They're an important part of the ITV cog, given that pretty much all of the legal/compliance stuff goes through them. For those readers who don't know, when OFCOM fine the network for some transgression, they actually fine a percentage of advertising revenue from the nominated region that handled the compliance. Channel being the smallest region means its revenue is tiny, so ITV plc. funnel all of the compliance through them. So the fines are massively reduced when a show like Britain's Got Talent fucks up. Mahmoud can probably provide more info about stuff like this or correct me if I'm wrong about anything.

Here's an interesting tidbit for you all. The ITV network of the modern day is less resilient and less configurable than in the old days. I've been doing a lot of nerdy reading about the network and how it was all linked together, back in the days when individual regions were responsible for their own playout. So a region could just opt out at any time from the network feed and do something on their own. These days, with all of the ITV plc.-owned regions having their playout systems located in Leeds (North) and London (South) and run by Technicolour, it's not so easy anymore for a region to just flick a switch. It all has to be coordinated. Back in the day there was a horrendously complex arrangement between the regions, the IBA, and British Telecom who were responsible for the hard-switching of lines into and out of the regions, and then on to the network.

STV's continuous opting out from the network feed is hilarious, though. They're pretty much just sticking two fingers up to ITV plc. in order to prove some kind of point, but all of the viewers are revolting because they're missing out on stuff. In order to stick two fingers back up at STV, and to a lesser extent UTV (but not Channel because they like Channel) they only provided a "dirty" feed to those regions, which means it had promos and branding that required some very quick cutting on a vision mixer with excellent timing to avoid a quick "flash" up of something from another region or some network branding. Mind you, Channel coped well enough with a dirty TVS/Meridian feed for years, I guess you get good at it after a while.

Nerdy post done. I could probably do more.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 7, 2010

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah refresh I just amended a shitload :)

I thought you'd put every region on the diagram but you've only put the ITV plc. ones on. My bad.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I saw a picture of a Channel TV news studio once. It was literally in what looked like a storage room, with shelving around the cameras, and the desk plonked at the end, single cameras setup.

Back in 1979 when there was an industrial dispute at ITV, the union involved actually made sure that there was NO strike action at Channel, because they recognised that the lost revenue would bankrupt the company and then NONE of their members would have a job. Which was nice, I thought.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

When are Channel 4 crashing that plane?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Game On was loving top entertainment in my secondary-school-attending years.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

XFM is pretty good, so I don't want to see them go under.

:negative:

6 Music is better

Come with me into the past....

XFM started out as a wonderful pirate station which eventually managed to get the very last London FM local licence. It did very well and was highly regarded by all.

Then Capital came along...

They wanted their own Virgin Radio, so they bought XFM and within a few days it had totally changed. Eventually people complained and it was found that they were going against their licence remit, so they had to bring back some of the alternative songs on the playlist, but a lot of mainstream stuff remained.

This was about the time that Gervais and Merchant left, voluntarily, only to be asked back by Capital. The two of them made quite a thing about that.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Bah, can anybody find last night's CDWM on 4od? I practically bum Iain Lee and everything he does so I wanted to watch it. Apparently Lembit Opik was an utter oval office but everybody else came across well.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Dennis Nedry posted:

Simons exposed bollock instantly reminded me of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjXSgS0ThLI

It reminded me of the outdoors sketches from The Fast Show.

Ned! Your bollock's hanging out!

thehustler fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 15, 2010

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Some Strange Flea posted:

I want to watch THE CUBE but UTV have decided that Tuesday at 11:05pm is a better time slot than Sunday primetime.

UTV: Sticking it to the network feed since 1959.

Edit: Do you have Sky? If so, you can get the other regions can't you?

thehustler fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 20, 2010

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Daimo posted:

Anybody else else watch Dispatches?

As an ex-squaddie that program confirmed everything people at my level think, although it was basically a rip of Lewis Page's book. Highly recommended watching if you're interested in the MOD and missed it earlier.

Also being "in a bubble" was pretty much spot on. Is it just mine or do everybody else's facebook news feeds read like a screenplay of the Inbetweeners?

That Lewis Page book is loving brilliant, and angered me. But I read Private Eye so I'm angered on a daily basis. Don't forget he writes for The Register too.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

And once again today we're reminded of why having two transmission centres for ITV's output leads to problems. A powercut in Leeds due to roadworks an hour or so ago knocked out every region handled by Technicolour's Northern Transmission Centre, with ad breaks not firing, local opt-outs for news not switching properly, and eventually the entire output was replaced with London's.

Back in the old days when each region ran their own transmission, this wouldn't have happened.

Obligatory "black screen better than usual output" comment.,

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Irisi posted:

So here I am, fully prepared for an hours' worth of period drama stodge from ITV in the shape of Downton Abbey. The nights are drawing in, I had chocolate, and Maggie Smith had donned her corsets in order to entertain the nation, oh happy day. (Look, I'm female, I'm allowed to enjoy this sort of thing, okay?)

Except I live in Scotland, where STV -in their infinite wisdon- has decided to show a repeat of some Billy Connelly bollocks from a year ago instead.

This was the one thing ITV has done in the past five years that I have actually wanted to watch. I really do wish they'd all stop playing silly buggers with the programmes in this manner.

STV are perfectly entitled to opt-out of anything they drat well like on the London network feed with the exception of ITN, which ALL regions are bound by the rules to take.

They're doing it to basically stick two fingers up at ITV plc., and I do find it quite funny that they are doing it. Sometimes they opt-out of the most amazing examples of ITV dross, but the Scottish public, in their infinite wisdom, still want to watch them. Fools.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Ddraig posted:

I really don't think Karl is an act. I've genuinely met people like him, and despite that I do think he's a bit aware and plays it up slightly. If you've ever listened to the old XFM shows him, Ricky and Steve did then he's much more laid back than the podcasts and things he's done since, but he's still the same old Karl.

Plus he'd really have to be the best character actor alive to be able to keep it up for this long without a single slipup.

Seriously though, I'm getting really annoyed at having to explain this everywhere.

Look at the old XFM series. He joined in. He laughed. He had a personality and wasn't afraid to give stick to Ricky and Steve. They were three friends dicking around and having fun. Karl was head of production at XFM. This is an important job. He was responsible for the overall "sound" of the station - so the jingles, the music beds, the way everything is stuck together in the right order, that kinda thing. Probably also DJ Rotas too. He's no fool and that is a top-level job in a radio station.

Then as the XFM show got older, his personality changed. He said more and more outrageous things, and rather than having his own personality he kept himself to himself more until it was comedically an apt time to say something.

And then the podcasts came along. And it was even more "acted". And then they started repeating stuff.

As an old school fan, it upsets me to see how it's all turned out, but I guess I shouldn't begrudge them the success.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah, I'm not saying I necessarily agree or disagree with the decision, just that it's interesting how they do it, when they decide to do it, etc etc.

You're perfectly right in that people don't care about rules, so it's up to STV to explain the decision to their viewers. They said originally they were doing it to show more relevant localised Scottish content, but apparently nobody cares about it.

It's just fresh in my mind because I've been learning so much about it recently.

PS: there's always the option to watch another region either by bleedover reception or if you have Sky etc, but it is shady that STV are forcing people to do that.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Graviton v2 posted:

My god Victoria Coren is fit.

That is all.

Nerds Choice.

If you don't watch Only Connect you're missing out.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

A Humble Narcissist posted:

Yeah, you're missing out on the most pretentious TV program I have ever seen.

What's the matter? Scared of intelligent people?

It doesn't take itself too seriously and indeed takes the piss out of itself for being like that. When you get a question right sat on the sofa watching it it actually feels good.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Whites was really really good and I hope it gets a second series.

Speaking of Davies, just about to finish a Jonathan Creek marathon, as I've never watched it before. It's bloody brilliant, and features bonus Emma Kennedy in a bath of porridge oats.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

New Partridge is amazing!

Re Alan Davies, he's getting a LOT of poo poo this morning for not wanting to cross the NUJ picket to fill in for Danny Baker on 5live. If you saw his recent activism series about his youth on Channel 4 you'd understand why he's done that, but everyone is really laying into him on Twitter for it.

Robin Ince is another person who has pulled out of a show because he refuses to cross a picket.

A few other people have crossed pickets and have basically used the "I'm not a journalist" defence, but that's not really the point is it?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Dicky B posted:

Getting On was fantastic tonight. Probably the best episode yet. Few shows manage to keep me this consistently impressed, and sitcoms even less so.

It's The Thick Of It in a hospital, basically. And it's loving marvellous.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

FreakyZoid posted:

I think this new Partidge is really what suits the character best - with a full show they sometimes take it to bizarre conclusions, while the small budget and single location here keep it focussed on him.

That is exactly why I'm loving it too

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

James Blunt is more quick witted than Eddie Izzard.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I was particularly amused by the spazzy Pudsey that came up before the last round and was clapping. Clearly his mental capacity has lowered over the years.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Watching that unfold on Twitter last night was hilarious.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

A Writers Guild award last night for Getting On, if Twitter is to be believed. It's written by the three main cast, if you didn't know.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

butch thumperton posted:

ITV1+1 is launching on all digital platforms early in 2011. It has taken this long because of contract rights issues, and because there's 22 regional variations of ITV1 with different adverts, unlike ITV2/3/4 which are the same across the country.

22? That seems too high. I'm pretty sure it used to be 16 or 17 until last year when they've merged some regions for cost-cutting/news purposes and now there are 10. There may be some sub-opts in some regions to facilitate more directed advertising.

Either way, it's bollocks these days. I miss my Granada G, goddammit.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Zorba the Greek posted:

Harry Hill is perhaps the most annoying piece of crap I've ever seen on TV. He talks like a loving retard and he is not funny in the slightest. My family love the guy and I can't understand why. He is just annoying beyond belief.

His observations are usually so out of left field, that's the funny part. It's not his gags, it's the little details that he sees that NOBODY else would notice.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Which comedian was it that was nearly recruited as a spy while at university? I can remember it from an interview or something.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Hugh Dennis I think

That's it! He said it on Mock the Week

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Re Simon Munnery, does he still do The League Against Tedium thing with the minature video camera on the screen? I remember that from stand up shows on TV in the 90s.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The balls that Angus has are staggering. I love how he knows how horrendous the show will be and how much it's going to hurt, but he still does it. He doesn't even try and squirm out of, he seems perfectly happy to take it. A similar thing happened after this years election when Lembit Opik went on having found out that he'd lost his seat on parliament about 6 hours earlier.

And that's why people ended up feeling sorry for him. He took it well, but ultimately, he couldn't present the show anymore because he'd become such a figure of fun.

Merton says as much in his brilliant Parkinson interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMXiR089ARQ

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Started watching Saxondale.

Christ on a bike it's brilliant.

Morwenna Banks's character is annoying as gently caress, though.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

echoplex posted:

Filming THAT scene:

Canon 5 or 7D? Also why the slr? Budget or style reasons?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Old Madeyes posted:

Did I just hear Robert Webb voicing an advert for Cushelle toilet roll? :/

Yes, you did.

Also, David Mitchell is involved with the new Go Compare stuff.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Jonathan Ross can be an annoying prick, but he seems to be pretty interested in nerdy stuff and the more celebrities promoting science etc the better.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

http://transmitblog.wordpress.com/2010/12/15/preview-10-oclock-live/

Review of the 10 o clock show pilot.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Megaterium posted:

Tell that to David Attenborough.
It's quite old but there's a series of videos by Iain Lee ringing up these sort of programs with the same answer over and over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA0au9lnZYE

He had to stop doing this because people started realising it was him.

Shame really. Also obligatory plug, Absolute Radio, Monday to Thursday nights, 11pm-1am.

It's hilarious and his callers are insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Speaking of drugs, did anybody watch the new Michael Mosley documentary on BBC4 last night about the brain?

He visited David Nutt, the government advisor who was sacked some months ago for having the nerve to say cannabis wasn't that bad.

And then they injected Mosley with the active ingredient of magic mushrooms. It was piss funny, he just started blabbering on about anything and wouldn't stop.

Next to Brian Cox, he's my favourite science TV presenter.