Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
gently caress Andy Parsons I hate him so much :mad:

I'm glad others agree.

Can anyone confirm my suspicion that Britain is the only country that has these kinds of "comedy quiz shows" (Mock the Week, HIGNFY, Shooting Stars, Never Mind The Buzzcocks, etc).

I just don't think shows like that really exist in America (or elsewhere?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

incredible bear posted:

Re: Getting On

It is a new series, the first episode was directed by Peter Capaldi, who will be appearing later on in the series too. Gonna be a 6 episode season rather than 3. Also it is brilliant, and probably the second most realistic piece of fiction I've ever witnessed after The Wire.

Thanks for the recommendation. Just watched this on iplayer and it was very good, but also very depressing. Black comedy with an emphasis on black. Jo Brand is really funny, but the shape of her body is just baffling.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I loving loved Jonathan Creek when it first aired and I was pretty young.

But I convinced some friends to watch it recently and we couldn't get past the first couple of episodes.

I think everyone (like me) remembers the awesome mysteries but forgets that there is like 45 minutes of dull, unfunny side plots in between. Caroline Quentin is incredibly annoying, and so is the magician guy Jonathan works for. Alan Davies is still fantastic, but he can't hold it all together on his own.

I really, really wanted to love it as much as I used to, but I just don't think it's worth watching any more :(

Haven't seen any of the most recent episodes though.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
The only thing I remember about Captain Scarlet is that 13 strikes of Big Ben thing. It must have made a deep impression on a lot of us for some reason.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

An0 posted:

I'm halfway through the first episode of "The Trip" and am pretty bored - is it worth continuing ?

Watch the bit with the impressions if you don't like that you won't like the show.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Was anyone else kind of bummed out by Eddie Izzard's performance on QI? At first I was annoyed 'cos it seemed like Bill Bailey and Alan were talking over him a lot, but then when he did get a chance to speak he wasn't very funny :( .

(also he talked about B52s flying over Nazi Germany but actually they were B17s)
:goonsay:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I've never seen "only connect" before but I'm watching the Children in Need special. What's with the lack of an audience? Is it always like that? It's freaking me out hearing all these witty jokes being followed by total silence. It all just feels really ackward.

e: also if the point of the game is to find the connection between the things, why do they drop from 5 points to 3 points for introducing the second thing? How could they possibly get the full 5 points with just one thing? There would be nothing to connect it with!

fuf fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 17, 2010

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Just wanted to say again that "Getting On" is really good and you should all watch it on iplayer.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
How does adblock manage to block video ads, that's crazy. Crazy awesome.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Seinfeld might appear a little dated if you've never seen it before but it's still absolutely fantastic.

Curb is like a whole new level of comedy and way better than almost all contemporary British comedies.

I think a lot of British people just can't get past the American style of presentation and assume all American comedies are committee-written cheesy sitcoms.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

*Drinks frothachinomochalattelapsangcurry, wears new designer invisible clothes*

See, people can't get over the presentation.

Not every good comedy has to be gritty and English. Enjoying curb isn't succumbing to some American consumerist cultural hegemony or whatever.

Every comedy should be treated like a beautiful unique little snowflake and given a chance on its own terms.

I mean sure everyone has different tastes, but I honestly can't see how anyone who has watched a lot of good comedy can deny that curb has moments of genius, Larry David is just too ridiculously talented.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Meltdown321 posted:

I treat comedies as unique when they appear to be so. When there`s a mass-producing formula that`s currently in vogue and churning out poo poo like Seinfeld, etc, i just tend to ignore them instead.

Edit: And watch something decent like Black Books or Danger Mouse.

Seinfeld ran from 1990-1998, so your "currently in vogue" comment doesn't really work unless you think comedy moves at a glacial pace.

For its time, Seinfeld was absolutely as unique as Black Books. It was the work of two people, not a "mass-producing formula". If it appears that way now, it's because it's the most influential sitcom ever so we have become completely familiar with its style.

Curb is even more unique, more so than Black Books, which was incredibly well written but pretty familiar in its sitcom style.

I dunno I just get the impression a lot of people haven't even watched these shows properly before dismissing them.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny

I think it's a case of this. Seinfeld seems old and boring now because all the good comedies mimic it. For its time, Seinfeld was an incredibly new concept, and without it there'd be no The Office or shows of a similar ilk.

I was about to edit my post to add that Black Books (and all the other non-cheesy, non-sentimental comedies) wouldn't have existed without Seinfeld, but yeah you've made the same point.

edit:

Meltdown321 posted:

Maybe it`s a culture thing

I definitely think it is a culture thing, and most of my friends would agree with you completely. They refuse to watch any American TV and we have this exact argument all the time. I just think it's a shame, because if you can get past the "American TV = dumb" theory that is part of the British mindset there's actually a lot of really good American comedy.

Meltdown321 posted:

i like my comedies with more thought and less huge great signs pointing out the humour.

Oh man please don't make the "thinking man's comedy" argument, it just doesn't work. You honestly think that Black Books doesn't have any "huge great signs pointing out the humour" but Curb does? That's just not the case.

fuf fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 23, 2010

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Meltdown321 posted:

I quite like Yes, Prime Minister and also The Good Life.

They probably would never have existed if it wasn`t for Seinfeld.

come now that's just silly.

I was only arguing with you because you said this:

quote:

...a mass-producing formula that`s currently in vogue and churning out poo poo like Seinfeld

This is just an incredibly stupid thing to say and I couldn't live with myself if I let that kind of misinformed opinion go unchallenged.

But yeah that's probably enough Seinfeld discussion, sorry.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
You guys are really terrible posters and I don't even know what you are trying to argue anymore, if anything, but I'm gonna respond anyway.

If you don't like Seinfeld: whatever, people have different tastes. But to claim it is objectively "poo poo" puts you in a pretty small minority.

If you think Seinfeld is formulaic: this is pretty hard to argue because the characters and almost every storyline on the show were original. I really don't see much similiarity between Cheers and Seinfeld at all. Cheers (and most American sitcoms) was about basically decent people and the dynamics of their relationships, usually ending with some feel-good message where lessons are learned. Seinfeld was about horrible people with no redeeming qualities screwing a bunch of people over. None of them ever learns a lesson or forms a relationship that doesn't end in hatred or death.

If you think Seinfeld was not influential: I guess it's pretty hard to demonstrate what influenced what, but Seinfeld was very popular amongst critics and comedians and ran for a really long time. If you don't think it was influential at all then that also puts you in a pretty small minority.

And obviously there was good comedy before Seinfeld.

Meltdown321 posted:

I am, it`s making that shape there. ^

Use the key two keys over from the L key, not the key above the tab key.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Poor Robert Webb. It must suck being the less successful (less funny?) half of a double act.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Got The Hunger Ted posted:

I think it comes down to "do you like impressions?" or not.

Definitely. But they're not impressions in the terrible Alistair Mcgowan sense, and I actually find it really interesting when they talk about the logic behind the voices.

I thought the "Gentlemen to bed" scene from the latest episode was absolutely hilarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYxx2-lw4VY

I mean it's not an actual impression of anyone in particular, but I love how they just perfectly capture the essence of all those historical dramas.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Oben posted:

Daniel Kitson

People talk about this guy being the best comedian ever, but he refuses to do anything for TV so I've never been able to see him. It's pretty annoying. I think he needs to get over it.

The Perfect Element posted:

How about the new Bill Bailey DVD? Anyone checked that out yet? I was pretty disappointed by Tinselworm, but he's had a few years since then to come up with new material, and hopefully will avoid making lame George Bush jokes this time.

It's much better than the last one, which was way too bombastic and extravagant, but it's still not as good as the old stuff. He has some pretty good stand-up sections, but the songs just aren't as good as the old ones.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Brokyn posted:

So what's up with you guys and panel shows? I've noticed you have a treasure trove of them. I'm trying to think, but I'm pretty sure we don't have a single panel show over on this side of the pond (and I'll be embarrassed as hell if I'm wrong). Which is odd because I think they could definitely fill a good niche here. Moreso if our censors were as loose as yours.

I actually made this exact point in this thread a few weeks ago. I thought maybe panel shows were a uniquely British thing, but apparently there are European versions of QI, and I've seen an Australian show that was kind of like Mock The Week (and it was terrible, sorry Australia).

But yeah it's weird that panel shows don't exist in America. They are probably really cheap to make, and it's a good medium for comedians. I think they're much better than chat shows in a lot of ways, because the focus isn't just on one person so it flows better.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

They got rid of their permanent host years ago after a cocaine and prostitute scandal which was a bit sad but kinda had to be done because it's hard to take the piss out of MP's doing skeezy things if prostitutes are selling stories about you.

Oh man, I will never forget the episode just after that. The tension as we wait to see who will bring it up first, Ian making a bad joke, and then Paul taking it way too far by busting out the t-shirt...

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I can't decide if I like Episodes or not. It's started laying on the drama pretty thick, and no one other than Joey is really that funny (and he was barely in the latest episode).

I think part of the problem is we are meant to be sympathising with Tamsin Greig's character, but I actually find her a little annoying. It's hard to make a character likeable and funny when they are pissed off the whole time.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Skeksis posted:

Mid Morning Matters with Alan Partridge is back, with quite possibly the best episode so far: http://www.youtube.com/user/fosters

This is one of those things I have to leave playing in another tab and half-listen to while I do something else because it is just too excruciating to look at directly.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Pablo Bluth posted:

My estimate is that for every hour long popular factual programme, there's only actually 20 minutes of content; the rest is lost to repetition and recaps. Which is why I'm so grateful for BBC Four, which is far less plagued by that disease.

My favourite thing about BBC documentaries is the unnecessary drama they feel they have to inject, lest I change channel or fall asleep because of all the boring facts.

"But without realising, Smith had stumbled upon a discovery that would completely transform our understanding of [something scientific], and threaten to shake the scientific community to its very core."

*30 seconds of sped-up footage of Smith standing awkwardly in a street while pedestrians rush past him and busy-sounding classical music plays*

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I think a lot of Stewart Lee's stuff is really good, but I'm not gonna pretend that I don't get frustrated by his "talking really slowly" thing. I'm not convinced that it adds the kind of profundity he thinks it does, as if his style of delivery is going to transform a comedy act into some kind of aesthetic experience.

The material is great, but it's not that mind-blowing that I need 10 seconds of silence between each sentence to imbibe its complex meaning or whatever.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
The problem with shows like Blackadder and Red Dwarf is that I watched every episode over and over when I was young, so now I find it impossible to judge whether they are actually good or not.

When I watch them I can still remember every line and joke and so I get caught up in this weird mood of childhood nostalgia. Are they actually funny? I have no idea.

As far as British sitcoms that Americans might like, I have found that Spaced always goes down well, because it has a normal enough setting but still some pretty surreal comedy. Also most of its cultural references are to American movies or TV shows so there's not too much quirky British knowledge required.

I also like showing Americans Outnumbered because I think it is quite a nice look at an average middle-class British family. They usually love it, especially the little kids obviously.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

marnold posted:

Sort of going through a withdrawal of british comedy.

Office UK is my favorite comedy of all time (Party Down/Arrested Development/Futurama/Simpsons round my top 5)

Enjoyed IT Crowd, though didnt think it was brilliant. Black Books was great. Peep Show is great.

Been sort of amiss with the last few years of British Comedies. So what is worth watching peeps? Awkward Office-esque style humor with a heart is the best of all worlds.

Someone just asked this exact question so the last few pages of this thread are full of recommendations for good British comedy.

e: well I guess the recommendations are kind of spread out but they start on page 157

fuf fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 2, 2011

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Yeah that list is way too long to be of any use to anybody. It's just like a wikipedia "list of British comedy".

Maybe an easier way to list recommendations would be to say "if you like comedy X, then you will probably like comedies Y and Z."

Although I couldn't even think of an easy, uncontroversial example and had to use X, Y and Z so it's probably a terrible idea.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Kin posted:

Maybe we should have a vote as to the best in each category. We could do it AV style (unless you're too stupid to figure out AV :v:), so you knock out your preferences and boom, we get a decent list ranked in order of best to worst.

Woah there, if what I've been told over the last few months is true then if we use AV all the far-right comedies will end up at the top of the list.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I take back all the poo poo I was saying about Stewart Lee. The "Identity" episode was really good.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Jawidar posted:

Edit: Man, Phillip sure isn't putting up with any of Fiona Bruce's poo poo.

No poo poo. This is hilarious.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Brown Moses posted:

If there was an episode of QI with David Mitchell, Charlie Brooker, and Andy Parsons I wouldn't be able to watch it.

Thankfully Andy Parsons is too stupid to ever be on QI.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Z-Magic posted:

That sounds like his hilarious appearance on Room 101. I think the chatroom was called 'Beauty's Castle'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAjD8c6cFc8

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Quanta posted:

I lost interest in The Shadow Line when the villain took several bullets to the chest, survived, and walked out of hospital a few days later (after foiling an expert assassin). Its best episodes are before Glickman and the psychopathic twink become players in the story, and then it mutates into a bit of a mess.

Those episodes were genuinely absorbing as noir drama before the tone turned silly.

This is exactly my opinion as well. I thought it was really, really good until the scene where Glickman accidentally shoots the kid. (I guess we should still spoiler?)

Everything after that felt like a completely different show. I didn't really like the last two episodes.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Rarity posted:

Worth mentioning again. Outnumbered rules, we should talk more about that and less about all this ITV shite.

Yeah, why the gently caress are you people watching game shows on ITV? And then getting angry that they are terrible? It's ITV. I don't think I've ever watched anything on ITV in my entire life except maybe the occasional adventure of monsieur Poirot.

Outnumbered was ok, but I kind of think the children are a little old now and not really that funny anymore.

I am being a negative nancy in this post :mad:

There was a great documentary about the Normans on BBC4 last night, check it out. :)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Derek Agony posted:

It depends on the university. Manchester, for example, always have a very strong team because they have multiple large-scale well-publicised tryout sessions. However, a lot of others (my university Exeter included) put up a couple of posters and choose the best 4 from the approximately 20 people who turn up at the right time and place.

My uni (Warwick) is the same. It's all left up to the Students Union and I'm pretty sure they just walk into a bar and pick four people at random.

They tried to do "tryouts" one year and I went along for fun (I'd probably be too scared to go actually on even if I was clever enough). All of their sample questions were utterly bizarre and nothing like real University Challenge questions at all. A few studious-looking people (who probably would have been quite good on the actual show) got angry and left.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Yeah I mean I'd never even heard of this show "The Simpsons" until now. Maybe I'll check it out.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Watch House of Cards. 3 parts, 4 episodes each. The main performance is really entertaining and the plot is straight up political intrigue.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

SeanBeansShako posted:

:siren:Brian Blessed alert!:siren:

Are people just joking when they go on about Brian Blessed? I really don't get it. I saw him on that episode of QI and he comes across as one of those insufferable thespians, like the kids in school that did drama and would take it in turns to recite little monologues and anecdotes to each other instead of actually having conversations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I didn't mean his acting. I just think it's weird that he's heralded as a lovable public figure by the same people that love Stephen Fry and David Mitchell and other people that are actually likable. He seems like the ultimate annoying hoorah Henry and I don't know why people find that type of personality appealing.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Paperhouse posted:

yes, this is all true, but to suggest that he quit the show because he's the least funny thing in it when he wrote the drat thing and it's all based on his actual life is fairly ridiculous. And the reason the show has great comic actors is because it's intelligent and well written, if it wasn't then they wouldn't sign up to be in it

Someone can write a show and still be the least funny actor in it. The writing and the performance are two different things. Seinfeld was the worst actor on Seinfeld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Paperhouse posted:

but was Seinfeld the least funny thing about a show called Seinfeld, written and creatively controlled by Jerry Seinfeld. the answer is no!

Yeah you're right, I guess I thought HauntedRobot's initial post implied he was just talking about the on-screen performances, which would have been something different. But whatever this is silly.