Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Fatty posted:

On the topic of Rogue Traders, the most recent one seemed really disingenous. They created a fault in a computer that could literally only arise by someone going inside and fiddling about, and then had the old man say "It's been getting really slow and just stopped the other day". My first thought would be some sort of hardware failure, it wouldn't be that this old man had improperly installed a hard drive just before it stopped working and neglected to tell me.

Also Brendan started off as a nice old man, but he just seems to get more and more sinister.

I've not seen the episode, but to be fair, rule 1 of IT Support is to disregard 99% of what the customer says and assume they're lying. Seriously, they're always lying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

thehustler posted:

I love how the focus yesterday was on Ceefax in the news, and not the last switchoff of analogue. There was very little mention of what is a big deal, I would have thought.

It is and it isn't, I suppose. It's been coming for years and most places are long since used to it.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

DrVenkman posted:

Except that wasn't what actually went out and it seems that for whatever reason C4 put the halt on it. Probably because their legal team said "You can't do this". Don't forget that after that Brown was being called by Politicians to explain himself and had a lot of heat on him.

Uh, you're not really buying this? Unless someone is accusing him of actually fixing the lottery that week....

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

jfjnpxmy posted:

Is anyone else watching Threesome on Comedy Central? I keep watching it, and I don't know if I find it funny because it's funny or if it's just because Amy Huberman has, like, the best face in the world.

We're loving Threesome, but it is a kind of guilty pleasure. You're right about Amy though!

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

blunt posted:

The footage exists and was presumably supposed to be in the reveal (they used snowflakes in the show and the trailer).

The actual method was almost certainly just camera trickery though.

Yes, but the one thing we know is that he most definitely did not legitimately predict the lottery results prior to them happening so everything else just comes down to presentation. I don't doubt he filmed some other stuff, but to imply a cover up or legal wrangling is either silly or accuses a lot of people of some very serious offences.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Even if there was no actual manipulation of the results (which we all know there can't have been) I can see why the lottery wouldn't want him to broadcast footage of him predicting the results before the draw. Even if it wasn't broadcast until afterwards it would still send out a bad message about whether or not its genuinely random.

And imagine if by some trillion to one chance he did predict them beforehand, there'd be chaos. I can understand them not wanting to even have to think about that.

This is just silly. The point is, he did not and will not ever 'predict' them before the draw. For that reason, he'll never be shown predicting them before the draw. Whatever was recorded on that bus was either build up or was an alternative to the rather lame split screen trick he did use.

And as for the second paragraph.... Really?

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Strom Cuzewon posted:

^^^^^Oh yeah it is, I always forget to ignore the order of the balls.

Oh yeah he's not going to actually do it. But to show someone trying and apparently succeeding before the draw (instead of alongside it) I think would do some pretty severe damage to the brand of the lottery, and it seems perfectly reasonable that they would not permit it.

And yes the second paragraph is silly. I just find the idea of it amusing.

But how would they not permit it. You don't need a license to make a prediction of something, on TV or not.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Irisi posted:

So like any sensible human being, I like listening to BBC Radio 4 while going home, and the programme starting at 16.30 was all about stories and myth-creation on the internet.

So of course they talked about the creation of Slenderman on the Something Awful forums for a good section of it :stare:. I can safely say I never expected to hear about this forum on that station. Radio 4 puts our some weird stuff sometimes, I do love it.

Aw gutting - my drive home starts at 1630 and I, too, use Radio 4 to keep me sane on the motorway but today was my day off. May have to grab that.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Derrenchat: http://derrenbrown.co.uk/apocalypse-qa/ Here he responds to accusations of fakery and actor-use, and legal questions. Apparently you do not have to have any kind of ethical discussion or consent for TV programmes - you just have to clear it with lawyers and health & safety!

He gave consent during his audition. Now, personally, I think there would be a good legal case against that but clearly their lawyers disagree and I'm sure they chucked some cash at him at the end.

And he's not saying there were no ethical considerations, just that there is no powerful ethics committee like in medicine.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

That's transphobic, because it implies that trans* people aren't "normal" which is mean.

I have no issue whatsoever with anyone in the LGBT community, and others, but pretending that it's a "normal" / "default" setting is just silly. Accepting them with open arms, absolutely, but it's no use pretending that "CIS" people aren't a standard majority.

(On the other hand, I suppose in a sense it's no different to being called straight but I am rather bored of seeing cis used as some kind of reverse-derogatory term. I can see my own trans, post-op friend stays away from being a part of any kind of community)

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

NaDy posted:

Caught up with Toast of London yesterday, such a loving weird show and I love it.

It's like the time I discovered Black Books 10 years after everyone else, except this time it's still new. I'm still surprised the wife will watch it with me, to be honest. What time period is Toast actually meant to be set by the way? It's weirdly early 90's.

I'm just so glad they didn't write him as the bumbling fool I expected when I tried it.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Is anybody watching Endeavour? I'm finding it a great way to chill out with the wife and a brew - very easy watching, but interesting enough that it keeps you engaged for the 2 hours.

I'm also a huge fan of Bluestone 42 - they're all caricatures, but I do think the show gets them pretty much spot on. I love the rapid switching from funny joke to oh poo poo and back again, because that's how people in those circumstances seem to operate.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
I absolutely loved the ending, though it was pretty harrowing to feel that sense of 'We'll never, ever know for sure' as the credits started.

I don't think it was a masterpiece of tv, but it was very well executed and some of the IMDB and other forum comments just show how stupid the average audience is - moaning about inconsistent subtitles at the start etc. I mean, the show laid on the 'this is as final as it gets for most people in reality' theme pretty thick, but some people missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Gorn Myson posted:

One did and the other one didn't. I'm really not sure what you mean by forced, the ending matches with the way the characters were portrayed. Emily managed to cope the tragedy by leaning on her new family. Tony isolated himself and had nothing, so he spends years wandering Europe, unable to find closure. Had the show ended by finding Olly's body, he'd have just spent the next few years trying to hunt down the Romanian who killed him. Hes doomed until he accepts that an opportunity for relief has already presented itself and all he needs to do is to take it. But hes not going to do that. Hence the reason why the final shot of the show is a close up of his distraught face.

This is exactly how I read it and why I liked it - maybe because in truth, I think I'd be like Tony until it destroyed me or put me in jail.