Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Figaro posted:

I only have an iPhone :(

I'm pretty sure theres a Iplayer app isn't there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

A bit off-topic, but the re-release of Back to the Future is showing in most UK Cinemas at the moment, I highly recommend going to see it if it's showing locally to you. It's a completely different experience on the big screen compared to the yearly viewing at Christmas on television, and whats even better is that most teens have no interest in seeing it. Me and the missus went last week and it was us and a half dozen other late 20s/early 30s couples in there, not a single noisy texting talking teen in sight. (Young people! :argh:)

I'm actually hoping they re-release the Part III as well now, Part II...ehh not so much. (I would also love to watch Ghostbusters on the big screen again :sigh:)

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Russell Howard is like that friend you had in college who was mildly amusing but not hilarious and if anyone was ever asked their opinion of him, would think for a minute before always replying 'Yeah he's a nice guy'.

I don't think hes particularly funny but I don't hate him, and if it was a choice between Russell Howards Good News, or another re-run of Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps, then let poor well meaning Russell have the timeslot.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Dara 'O Briains DVD is really good, hes the happy medium between comics like Michael 'Gosh aren't I nice and boring' McIntyre and Frankie 'I'm so edgy...you oval office!' Boyle.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

7seven7 posted:

Ain't nothing racist about it man, bad jokes in a Nigerian accent are still bad jokes. And almost all of her humour is centred around being Nigerian. I get it, that's a big part of her identity, that's cool. But come on woman, there are other avenues of comedy to explore. 

I think that might be why I don't really find Julian Clarey all that funny. He's gay and he can celebrate that fact and that's a beautiful thing. But dude, is there nothing else to you? It's so one dimensional. 

The weird thing is, I can still find Julian Clary quite funny on occasion, yet I can't stand Graham Norton or Alan Carr who does the same camp shtick.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Kin posted:

Simon Amstell never went too far. :colbert: If some of those stuck up "celebs" cant take a ribbing with jest then they deserve to have the piss taken out of them even more. You don't willingly throw yourself into the spotlight and decide "i'm never taking any criticism, gently caress you, i'm special", especially if it's obvious to everyone you're a minimally tallented flash in the pan.

I was really disappointed that both Phil and Noel have slagged Simon off since he's been gone in various articles and blaming him for the show not being as good anymore.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Adrianics posted:

Did anyone watch The One Ronnie, by the way?

Me and the wife groaned our way through it. On the one hand I kept thinking how absolutely terrible and pedestrian it was, but on the other it instantly transported me back to Christmas Dinner as a kid with the Two Ronnies Christmas special on, followed by the same Morcambe and Wise special, the one with Angela Rippon that you've watched a 100 times already.

If you haven't seen it, I'd say watch it for Nostalgias sake, not comedy.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Lauren Laverne reminds me of my mum, in that she likes to talk about the news and politics, but doesn't really understand what she's talking about and thinks parroting opinions shes heard on television/read in the paper makes her terribly clever.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Hahaha, I'm sick off work with a awful cough/cold right now and watched Channel One for a while today, and they showed the penultimate episode of Voyager*, sucks for anyone who hadn't seen it the dozens of previous run throughs and was looking forward to the finale tomorrow.

*Yes I know it is terrible.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

Charlie Brooker thing on at 10pm BBC 2.

Definitely tuning in tonight for this:

Charlie Brooker's Twitter posted:

Tonight's ep of How TV Ruined Your Life contains harrowing sexual mime. Not by me, but by the actor Kevin Eldon.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Pour five out rapid for a fallen homie:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12549622

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Did anyone read this article about Jim Davision yet?:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12569498

I can't decide if its just a cynical ploy at trying to make a comeback or if he is genuinely changing his views.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Anyone else annoyed at BBCs news website headlines of late?

poo poo like this is starting to annoy me:

MELTDOWN ALERT AT JAPANESE NUCLEAR PLANT!:
Article: The IAEA says there are no signs of a meltdown and cooling is going as planned.

TAKEAWAY JOBS BAN FOR IMMIGRANTS:
Article: People from outside the EU can't get work permits to come to the UK to work in takeaways.

Its like they're going for Daily Mail/Sun style grab headlines. They also keep posting headlines with only the persons surname on it, there was one a few weeks ago that was particularly stupid, it was something like 'BECKHAM CHARGED WITH BENEFITS FRAUD: Brian Beckham, 42 of Peckham is up on charges of...'. (Obviously not that exact headline/name but you get the idea). Yes they're technically correct but it seems they're wording them just to grab readers rather than the content of the actual article.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Some Strange Flea posted:

THAT'S KIND OF CLOSE OH NO Get your jet black hair dye and razorblades at the ready because HERE COMES THE FALLOUT, BOY.

Btw, this is now one of the top 10 sentences I've ever seen on this forum. :)

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Kin posted:

edit: Sci-fi shows are best when they bring highly imaginative, unique and creative wonders and stories to the screen; not [stereotypical character conflict] in [half assed sci-fi setting] No. 15.

Its not like the settings have to be all cgi and exotic looking, BSG was mostly brilliant, and 90% of the time was set inside the ship or other planets that all happened to look like Earth but you would happy to accept it. TNG was mostly the bridge, ten forward and engineering (with the odd hokey holodeck episode tossed in) and worked. I would prefer an expensive but believable ship than terrible budget cgi that always looks wrong.

Mind you, that said, as much as I enjoy Doctor Who, I wish the relaunched series would be a bit more interesting, oh hey I have this machine that can go literally anywhere in space and time, so lets spend most of it visiting earth and human run space stations instead of other planets or London in [time period].

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Well 2011 sucks so far, First the Brigadier and now Sarah Jane :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13137674

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Ben Soosneb posted:

BBC two still does a "pages from ceefax" broadcast, late at night. It's on now. for 40mins between 3.20am and 4.00am on a wednesday night / thursday morning.

This has made me happier than it should have done.

There also have Ceefax online:

http://www.ceefax.tv/txtmaster.php?page=100&subpage=0&channel=bbc1&search_string=news&fontsize=2

Edit: Looks like information hasn't been updated in a few years :( It used to be a live mirror.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Graviton v2 posted:

Watched it as promised, thought it was good. I dunno where the dislike comes from. Its not perfect but its better than 99% of the cack surely?

I think the problem is that they tried to bill it as a brilliant late night satirical look at politics and the news, and while it has its funny moments, its really not that great at actual satire.

Also I watch The Colbert Report (:911:/:britain: citizen :smug:) and can't help comparing the two which is unfair as different types of audience and show.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Paperhouse posted:

I don't understand how they make any money, let alone why there are so bloody many of them. I've got really used to watching all my TV online and the other day when I actually sat down in front of a TV I found that almost every advert just annoyed the poo poo out of me

Obivously we need a Compare the Comparison market site.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Graviton v2 posted:

Sorry man im well older than most people on the Forums but that means nothing. I do remember the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon though. (that was poo poo even when I was that age)

So no sorry, not a clue what you on about. Head doctor?

I remember it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TijnZsmbGo&feature=related

Edit: Doh, just saw that MisterLizard already answered this.

Lord Dekks fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 7, 2011

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Carpet posted:

I think The pHo means Round the Twist.

No, Round the Bend was hosted by a Aligator who lived in a sewer and had such cartoons like the He-Man parody: Wee-Man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_the_Bend

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Paperhouse posted:

The quality of Netflix I thought was really good, it's just there's nowhere near enough content for it to be worth it yet. Dunno how you can say it was unwatchable, looked as good as watching TV to me

I believe the U.S one self adjusts quality based on your bandwidth and connection, so if your ISP is being crappy, then its a really low bandwidth stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

FreakyZoid posted:

I would have thought it's a grey area, verging on the black because of how they are promoting it. You're paying a 3rd party service to enable access to content that is not licensed in your country.

Yeah this pretty much, you are not going to get into trouble for it or anything, but its technically watching content that you are not licensed to watch in the UK.