Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Fatkraken posted:

They should make an Eastenders channel. Use the dead daytime space on BBC3 to broadcast the series, in its entirety from the start, 6 hours a day every day for however many years it takes to get through it all.

The dead daytime space on BBC3/4 is used for the CBBC/CBeebies channels. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Apart from the too-long intro for the school dinners program, I thought it was actually alright for a US-produced program, certainly none of the digital zoom reaction shot edits onto people's faces you get on poo poo like US Kitchen Nightmares. It also didn't repeat itself after advert breaks, which is more than you can say for some UK TV programs (Location, Hotel Inspector etc).

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Jimbola posted:

They do this on Dragon's Den and it drives me nuts.

Does the UK Dragon's Den get exported to be shown in other countries? That might explain it, but they could still cut those bits out.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
That Panorama (about supermarket food), which I had on in the background while wrapping presents, was distracting because they kept using that whoosh sound effect from the final Icon of Sin level in Doom 2 (according to the Doom Wikia site the catchily named "Disc 6015, track 28-1: Fire,Ball - Impact and large fire burst, rumble").

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Graviton v2 posted:

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

e: That was exteamly low content wasnt it, Wall-E is on iPlayer if you got kids who havent seen that, its real a good movie, if I recall correctly I actually teared up at some point when I watched it first *cough*fag*cough*

They're repeating it on BBC3/HD later this week, which is useful as I forgot to record it on NY's day. :allears:

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

FractionMan posted:

The fact that trawlers are allowed to eat fish they catch but are over quota for gave me an idea for a cruise trawler, serving up fish it can't bring back to a hundred hungry guests. It's a nice idea that could only ever work on paper.

Smelliest cruise ship ever.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Mickolution posted:

The ads for Sky Atlantic claim they'll have Mad Men series 5. I think 4 is on BBC now, isn't it? They bid 25% or so more than BBC, so they're going for this big time even beyond the HBO deal, which looks like cracking value on it's own.

The BBC started with Mad Men series a few months ago now, while repeating series 1 at the same time. They still haven't shown 2 + 3 again. Same with Damages. :allears:

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Padje posted:

The closest cinema to my flat is the oldest in the UK (apparently). They serve cured meats with olives, slices of cake and cups of tea on saucers. It's fine in concept, but watching the people trying to quickly eat it before they even get seated, so as not to try and pilot greasy or crumbly food into their mouth in the dark, with nowhere to rest a teacup, is sad and ridiculous. You walk out after the film and there are plates on the floor.

Are you talking about the Electric? Their tortilla chips are still a bit expensive though :( But they do sell some proper local ale (Purity).

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

wickles posted:

Yes you pretty much have to watch the first 2 series for it all to make sense. It is excellent though so you're in for a treat.

Also good is The Killing currently being shown on BBC4

If by 'currently' you mean 'finished last week', then yes. (It was good.)

BBC4 really should have repeated the first two series of Spiral before showing this new one, I missed it when it was first shown.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Raffles posted:

Could someone spoiler tag a quick recap of why the finale was so poorly received for someone who is never going to watch it?

From what I've heard, they don't actually reveal who done it.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Kerbtree posted:

Wot, no [...] Uncle Jack adaptions?

Ah thank you! I've been trying to remember what that was called for ages - knew it had 'Uncle' in the title somewhere. All I could remember though, was a monster covered in green moss or something. Very hard to find YouTubes of it.

edit: OK, so didn't read this page - seems there's quite a few people who remember that show.

quote:

Also anyone remember The Girl from Tomorrow?
That's another one I couldn't remember. I remember asking before, but as soon as I said 'kid's program' and 'time travel' the suggestion was always 'Tomorrow People'.

Carpet fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 7, 2011

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I think The pHo means Round the Twist.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Brainwrong posted:

I've got a Humax Freesat HD digibox thingy wotsit and have recently connected it to the internet with an ethernet cable.
I need to get a longer cable to try this.

Pablo Bluth posted:

My local Co-Op has loads of signs hanging from the ceiling with 'Christmas is here', and tons of Christmas offers. What sane person would buy an advent calendar and mince pies on 1st November?
Ban all Christmas advertising until 1st December.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

A5H posted:

Why does live football look pretty poo poo in HD? Is it because they can't beam it all about at a decent bitrate or something? It's really annoying.

What channel? I watched a couple of episodes of Alphas on one of the digital Channel 5, er, channels, to see if it was any cop, but suffered from blocky bits. In that respect, it seemed at times like the same quality of a non-HD TV rip.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Not on DVD :(

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
One of the Being Human seasons on DVD has something on the back about 'content edited for contractual reasons' - anyone know anything more specific?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Mr. Squishy posted:

Only Connect Sports Relief was on today too. Featured Victoria Coren wearing sweatbands as their sole concession to the charity. Also, one of the teams was named "The Cutters".
Did we come to a conclusion about Dirk Gently? I thought the christmas special was awful, but this last series seemed sort of good.

Oh for gently caress's sake. Uni Challenge final didn't record for some reason, then I discover I missed an Only Connect. Two programs I could have watched while eating my tea :(