Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Ben Soosneb posted:

It was more enjoyable than I was expecting.

One thing that I found strange was the way that Warwick Davis kept looking straight into the camera after saying stuff. I guess it was deliberate but it seemed odd. Might have just been me though.
It's a fake documentary, the people in it are aware of the camera & crew being present so looking at the camera is actually used thematically.

I thought the show was ok. My only real (big) criticism is that I knew when the beats were coming. I also thought the acting of the black guy Warwick asked to press the buzzer seemed really poor. He didn't seem to acknowledge the camera being there yet answered questions in such an obviously "abrasive for the show" manner. It just stuck out to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Lionel RichTea posted:

I think it's pretty bad to be honest. I've got the same problem with it that I've got with the US version of The Office - it's supposed to be a fake/parody documentary style, but all pretence is lost straight away because the scenarios are so outrageous. It's like they've thrown together The Office and Extras (with Davis straight up playing David Brent), and watched a lot of Curb Your Enthusiasm at the same time, and disregarded that they're different types of comedy, and what made The Office work is different to what makes something like Curb Your Enthusiasm work. Also, let's be honest, it seems like a lot of it is lifted straight out of Extras and The Office.
What I found unintentionally amusing about this weeks episode was how Warwick told the BBC guy that the chairman was afraid of cameras, BBC guy says "there's only one camera".

Cut to news report showing the feature and it's shown as shot-reverse-shot. Thought there was only one camera?

It's a very minor point in the grand scheme of things but it's pretty shoddy. LTS is easily Gervais/Merchant's laziest and uninspiring piece of work to date.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Rob Brydon was sorely missed on Big Fat Quiz. Jamie loving Oliver.

Did however laugh at Walliam's jibe at Izzard regarding him being a fairweather transvestite. I guess the goatee does make things awkward.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Local Group Bus posted:

Someone has to. I wonder where Brooker left the skin and hair before stepping into his new role of media commentator instead of agitator. Maybe it's under the screenwipe couch.
It was inevitable really. Marriage to Konnie Huq has mellowed the guy out.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

Have I failed at Charlie Brooker by wanting to punch Doug Standhope in the face?
I've liked Stanhope's previous skits on *Wipe but thought the one on royalty was bad, not because I'm some royalist afficiando or something but because it just felt laboured.

Having said that I did laugh at him saying how damp the UK was, and how he struggles to keep a cigarette lit. That's pretty much exactly what I imagine US folk coming to our shores must think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

madey posted:

What did I miss? I get how the central premise was that technology allows us to be more callous and do bad things to each while easily bypassing our conscience. But the Rafe in the hut was literally a simulation and not a human at all. I thought Jon Hamm had the worse fate by far.
Human or not, it had sentience and consciousness which most would agree qualifies it for certain considerations you wouldn't give a simple AI. Sorry to be blunt but if you can't see the difference between torturing an AI and one of these cookies, I think you missed the point as Rarity said.

I too think that this cookie system could've easily had it's own feature length episode, and hope that we see one in the future.

Also there's a whole thread on this magnificent show