Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Akuma posted:

I was fairly excited for This Is England 86 until they started showing actual bits from the show, at which point I realised it's probably going to be Shameless: 1986 and lost all interest in it.

Some of the adverts do make it look disconcertingly wacky, but I have faith in the production team and director to make it awesome. Can't wait :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
What did everybody think of This Is England 86, then? I thought it was about on a par with the movie, and I'm fairly sure it's gonna get much more intense as more episodes come out.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Thought that the last episode of Grandma's House was awesome. Very dark, and very funny. It also, I think, expanded Clive's character and made him more sympathetic: yes, we was being a total drunken oval office, but it also proved that he wasn't quite as vacuous as Simon or we thought.

Another thing I liked about the show was that the fact that Simon is gay has never been a focal plot point or the punchline of any joke; I've found that even in these liberal, tolerant times of ours, homosexuals are rarely treated as ordinary people - their sexuality is almost always crucial to their character.

The same thing, in fact, applies to ethnic minorities as depicted on television: they may be likeable, decent people, but their ethnicity, their simple not-white-ness, is always important to their character or the plot of the show they're in.

Curb Your Enthusiasm in particular annoys me with this (and it's one of my favourite shows) because it has literally never featured a black character whose essential, defining characteristic is that they're black.

Anyway, that's enough ranting from me.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Pretty much the only show which has portrayed pot in a realistic light is Spaced, I think. They just casually smoke joints and don't act like twats, unlike in virtually every other show ever made.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Jay crashing his bike was the highlight of the episode for sure, but I can't really remember much else, other than the big girl crying at the end. This is either because it was unmemorable, or because I was drunk, maybe even a subtle fusion of both.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
http://www.bbc.co.uk/apprentice/series6/stuart-baggs.shtml <- I see now way in which this guy can fail to be a colossal prick.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

TheVertigoOfBliss posted:

From the first two episodes of masterchef it would seem spending a few weeks working in burger king qualifies you as a professional.

Not even some, but most of them seem totally clueless.

I was glued to the last series of masterchef australia, great tele.

My ex-girlfriend has qualified to be in the next Australian Masterchef. I think this compels me to watch it, even though who really gives a poo poo about Australian Masterchef? Other than you, of course.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

kru posted:

Is that 'Dan' from Partridge?

It most certainly is.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Getting it then, caught a few episodes and enjoyed it.

Worth bearing in mind that all of it is up on See-Saw for free, if you're a cheap-skate like me :)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

meme posted:

You guys caught Harry Enfield's new sketch show? Opinions? I thought it was pretty funny, but I'm not as critical as some of you guys.

Do you mean the third series of Harry and Paul? If so, it's pretty funny, and I like the fact that by getting rid of the canned laughter they can make their jokes weirder and slower.

There are a lot of misses to go with the hits, though, and I think the Parking Padawayo thing is pretty racist. The only black character in the whole show and he's a vindictive retard. I get what they're doing and the one the other day with the slow-mo was funny, but it still rubs me the wrong way a little.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Ratjaculation posted:

When the loving gently caress oval office rear end twat is The Thick Of It series 4 coming? I need my Tucker fix.

I think I just heard "autumn". Which I guess means soon! Can't wait :D :D :D

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Akuma posted:

There was a trailer for the new series of Misfits during Inbetweeners last night. Hooray! It's about time.

'YOU loving BURIED ME ALIVE YOU DICKS!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!' Not actually seen the show, but I thought that was lame-as-hell. In a kind of lovable way.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Paul Foot! I've never actually seen him on TV, but he used to go to my school and came back once to do stand-up there and it was pretty weird all round.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
loving hell, Buzzcocks tonight was one of the most awkward and stilted bits of television I've ever watched. Catherine Tate can't even read.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

goatface posted:

Just watched this weeks HIGNFY on iPlayer. Is it just me, or is John Bishop yet ANOTHER comedian incapable of reading a loving auto-cue?

He did struggle at points, but I think in general he did a pretty good job. His banter with the others was consistently funny.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

DaWolfey posted:

I was transfixed by that advert until it said Hollyoaks then I got angry that it had the audacity to entertain me.

Hollyoaks tends to play some quite cool music. They had some lovely dream sequence with M83 playing over it last year, I remember :)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Bishy posted:

I loved the Bond/Neeson bit in The Trip tonight.

I think some of the impressions are okay, but they really need to exercise some self-restraint. Both episodes now have followed the not particularly exciting formula of: drive to restaurant, sit in restaurant, eat the food, make mildly funny jokes, do LOTS of impressions, Steve Coogan has a depressing phone call, end.

I dunno, it either feels like it needs to be a bit longer, to establish a sense of the 'trip' in question (brief shots of them driving through northern countryside at the beginning don't count), or it needs to be snappier and less self-indulgent. It's definitely watchable, but hardly mesmeric.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
People who haven't watched the new episodes of How Not to Live Your Life yet probably ought to. It's a pretty funny show :)

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Thought that Any Human Heart was pretty decent, made 105 minutes feel like a lot less. Looking forward to seeing where they take it next.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Flatscan posted:

Oh god, I think I just vomited up a kidney.

None of you guys have seen the endlessly repeated advert?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
loving hell, I return from the pub to find this thread with 84 new posts?! I think all you people who seem to absolutely detest pretty acclaimed shows should maybe back up your opinions with some kind of argument, else you're pretty much the kids who will just dismiss a book as 'boring' and feel that is sufficient.

For my part, I feel that what a lot of the Seinfeld haters have failed to recognise is the way in which it differs from the vastly inferior shows its format has spawned. There's a deep underlying core of cynicism in the show that I think a lot of English viewers would enjoy if they gave it half a chance (rather than dismiss it because it looks like Friends, and the music is loving awful). The characters are greedy, selfish, lazy and want to do little else but get laid, but they're still friends and enjoy hanging out with each other, and that chemistry is what really makes the show work. The same situation pretty much exists in any Graham Linehan comedy - albeit with more wackiness - so I think the guy who held up Black Books as some kind of comedic paragon ought to reappraise his criteria for what he thinks is good comedy away from some kind of jingoistic snobbery.

I'd try to write about why I think Curb's great, but it's half two in the morning, so gently caress.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

cloudchamber posted:

What do Channel 4 have with that obnoxious oval office.

The whole media is in love with him and his lovely band, it's utterly bizarre. He had a feature in the Observer last week, the BBC seem to love him, now channel 4 have joined the pack as well. I really, really don't get it.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Tardstar posted:

yes because entertainment of purely subjective value requires you to back up any possible dislike.

I'll give you a report anyway:-

Ok i'm now watching seinfeld

It's poo poo and you're a prick

Now how about you provide an arguement about how Seinfeld is good? Or rather don't because the counter arguement is always going to be 'shut the gently caress up you seinfeld liking twat'

Christ, that's a lot of rage right there.

Yes, obviously enjoyment of anything is subjective, but that still doesn't mean you can't elaborate on what exactly it is that you find so repulsive about it - and the show really does seem to raise your heckles a great deal.

And I did provide an argument as to why Seinfeld is good. It was in the post to which you so furiously replied.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Akuma posted:

You know, I've come to hate the word "banter." It gets used so much it's lost all meaning. JUST A BIT O BANTER INNIT. That may be in large part due to having to design a video game around a heavily "banter-based" panel show and getting frustrated and having to ask people to quantify what "a bit of banter" actually means from a gameplay perspective. poo poo those were some long design meetings.

I'm seconding this, but not merely restricting my hatred to television. "Banter" here at uni has taken on a whole new level, where now it basically means lots of cunts going to a big club and getting wankered, so it's pretty typical to see "£1.50 drinks, free shot on entry and PRICELESS BANTER" or what have you on fliers. Every time I see the word now bile rises in my throat.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Taear posted:

I don't normally enjoy I'm A Celebrity but this year seems really good. Dom Joly is absolutely hilarious, Stacey Solomon is really pleasant and bizzare and just generally I actually care about what's going on in it this year.
I hope Dom wins.

Yeah, we've been watching it every night in my house, it's been awesome. The public seem to be voting off the right people as well - Shaun, Dom, Gillian and Stacy should all stay as long as possible.

Kind of in love with Stacy, actually. She's just so weird and silly, it'd be nice to have her around!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

The pHo posted:

Tried watching the Stewart Francis DVD after being recommended it in work. Can't say I found what I saw of it to be that great. Fast burst jokes can be OK but they have to either be very clever/slightly surreal (like Steven Wright) or utterly groan worthy. Francis' material just sits in the middle and doesn't work amazingly well.

There's at least 20 of these 'just in time for Xmas' discs and none of them appear to hold a candle to Lee or Herrings efforts from earlier in the year. Al Murrays and Sean Locks seem alright, but nothing special, Boyles is the usual c-grade material interspersed with sometimes amusing audience participated call outs and while I'll give the rest a shot there's not many which make me think 'ooh this might be good.'

How about the new Bill Bailey DVD? Anyone checked that out yet? I was pretty disappointed by Tinselworm, but he's had a few years since then to come up with new material, and hopefully will avoid making lame George Bush jokes this time.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

cloudchamber posted:

Is Any Human Heart worth watching? The write up sounds pretty interesting.

It really is. The last episode aired last night, and the way it resolved itself left a lump in my throat. I wouldn't say it was perfect - I thought sometimes it became a little melodramatically overblown - but every episode was really engaging, and the acting was pretty brilliant across the board.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
does the new bbc comedy ident with charlie brooker imply he's got a new show airing soon?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Zorba the Greek posted:

Whats the line up for it?

edit: wow, a lot of people responded to that before I did :/

for content: the lineup does look pretty awful, but I've never seen Ruth Jones on a panel before, I think. She's pretty funny in all the sitcoms she's in, but is she good in this sort of context?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Purple Gromit posted:

Someone mentioned Life on Mars earlier and it reminded me of the weird american remake (with Harvey Keitel as the Gene Hunt character).
Thinking about it there have been quite a few brit shows remade in the US to varying degrees of success.
Queer as Folk and the Office did well doing a variation on the originals.
Cracker and Life on Mars stuggled through one season before cancellation.
Finally theres the poo poo pilot only attempts at Spaced (never even shown anywhere), Red Dwarf (twice) and the IT Crowd.

Are there any programs that could be improved or even matched in a remake, or are they doomed to be a pale imitation of the original?

A lot of people seem to rate the US version of 'The Office' tremendously highly. Never seen it myself, though.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Who is, of course, an entirely impartial conservative MP.

loving sickening, that.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Watched the Brooker year review thing on iPlayer last night, I thought it was pretty good. The Sky News coverage of the Haiti earthquake he highlighted was just depressing, though.

Really vile channel.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Pablo Bluth posted:

Tried to watch Zen. Got bored and watched Bruce Parry instead.

I saw the advert and my mum and I just laughed. It just looked absurd.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Ben Soosneb posted:

Yep. Very disappointing.

Unless David falls off as well, I could live with that.

And Helen needs to have some serious complications. Otherwise she'll probably eat the baby.

I listened to the last five minutes because radio 4 was on in the kitchen. It was very meagre. I speculated that maybe there was going to be a shooting, and the pregnant mum would get in the way somehow. Having an absurdly foreshadowed roof-fall was very underwhelming.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Daimo posted:

I've just seen Come fly with me for the first time and quite enjoyed it - for the most part. What's everyone else's verdict around here?

Seems fairly divided as far as I can tell. I think some people are uncomfortable with the racial stereotyping and general crudity of it, and others think it's quite funny. Personally I fall into the latter camp, but then I only saw it on Christmas Day, and I haven't made any effort to see any more, so it wasn't that good.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
The thing that always rubs me the wrong way about people like that girl going to Hawaii is that I know that I am partially paying for her to be there. I know this is an argument that could be applied by anybody to anything, but it still seems like an unnecessary extravagance.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Daimo posted:

Nobody else apart from my mother dislikes the messianic smile he talks with then?

My mum didn't like his smile, either. I told him it's because he was infused with the joy of science, which was met with a grudging 'I suppose so.'

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Anyone else watch The Sinking of Laconia on BBC2 tonight? I thought it was brilliant, can't wait for part two tomorrow.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh we should have listened dammit.

Every time I hear about these badly researched knee jerk casual drug documentaries I always think of that scene in the movie adaption of Fear and Loathing of that paranoid as gently caress Marajuana propaganda movie.

I like the one in Harold and Kumar when the kid takes a toke on a spliff then shoots himself in the mouth with a rifle because he feels he can survive ANYTHING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Beeswax posted:

I'm not from the UK, and I have no idea what In Sickness and in Health is. But good to see you're keeping a a high level of discourse, going with "retard" after one post questioning your point? :bravo:

Then you respond with a smiley which looks like a retarded person! YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM TOO, MAN!!