Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of sitcoms... as a non-Brit I just wanna say that it's a shame that not a single one of the Brits I know remember 15 storeys high :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Another solid tip if you like banter-based panel shows is, well... Banter.

Does exactly what is says on the tin. Richard Herring, Russel howard, Will Smith and others.
http://www.fistoffun.net/downloads-banter.htm

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Akuma posted:

You know, I've come to hate the word "banter." It gets used so much it's lost all meaning. JUST A BIT O BANTER INNIT.

S... Stewart? Stewart Lee, is that you?

for the record i agree

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 25, 2010

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo Robert's Web is a real thing. It's like something out of a Lee & Herring routine.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You know what is and was great? Attention scum. That's what.

Wonder if it'll ever make it to DVD.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Now I'm Swedish so I don't know all that much about Question Time but is there a rule that they, at least in every other show, must include someone who really is a Terrible Human Being? How is it acceptable for any mainstream outlet, let alone a flagship discussion program, to have people like Melanie Phillips or John Gaunt or Kelvin MacKenzie on? I aaafhashahgsdfdadddddddddddddddd :bang:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I genuinely don't think there is a British pundit I hate more than Kelvin MacKenzie. He is the worst human being.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Idioteque Dance posted:

Good thing the topic is about standup at the moment because that's what I came here to ask. Stewart Lee is my favourite standup artist going and I love his brand of alternative comedy. In that regard I love Richard Herring's shows too due to it being a different kind of humour, aside from the usual observational standup.

What I want to ask is which alterative standup artists I look into next, with Stewart Lee being a favourite? I know he's getting quite popular again but his style is still really something else (and I absolutely loving love it).

Speaking of Jimmy Carr, I did watch his latest the other day, as by now you can go into his show with reasonable expectations knowing it's going to be an easy-watching one-liner fest, and is it just me or was he really struggling with his style this tour? There's so much recycled material, poor jokes and basically no evolution (understandable) or actual improvement of jokes from his previous works. He was also way softer on the audience.

My go-to recommendation is (perhaps predictably) Simon Munnery. He's collaborated with Stewart Lee on stuff in the past and is an absolute joy to behold most of the time. His stye is a long way from Lee's monotonous repetition but I love them both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga-LLG0HS0w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_fFx-Nq1GM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h676I2T0F-8

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

hookerbot 5000 posted:

QI is pretty popular over here, that and HIGNFY are the most mainstream (and I think best) of all the panel shows and I can't see it ever being cancelled.

But one thing that popped into my head the other day is could anyone other than Stephen Fry host it? His place as national treasure and comedian and certifiable genius as well as having complete composure and confidence in himself is pretty unique to him. Can anyone else think of who would be a good replacement if one was needed?

I'm sure they could find a replacement if they had to. Hell, they've kept ISIHAC going even after Humph's departure (from this world). There might not be anyone as suited for the role as Fry is but there are plenty of competent people who could have a shot at filling in for him.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The best thing about Widdecombe is that she literally is an old lady from a Monty Python routine. Literally. In a literal sense.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Tim Key is fantastic and I'm glad to see him alongside Coogan in MMM. :)

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Herring's a weird one in that he's really best when he does his podcasts. He's great as the unruly bully next to level headed Andrew Collins, and I love the self referential wankery of AIOTM, but I've always thought his standup is fine at best. And he's not really cut out for the panel show format. It's hard to do great soundbites and one liners when lot of what you do revolves around stuff that isn't broadcastable, or recurring jokes that take several separate set ups to really get going.

Mind you, him and Andrew are good on six music as well but that's mostly due to having genius set pieces like the recurring poetry smackdowns featuring stuff they wrote when they were teenagers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCNZF5Q5DBE

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It might not look like the best lineup ever but it's hardly terrible. The most glaring omission is Rob Brydon, he's been consistently great in the Big Fat Quiz.

I mean 3 for 6 is okay. Fielding is good as long as he's got someone to play off of (assuming Aoyade). Aoyade is good (or at least he was when he was paired with Mitchell). Ross is perfectly fine. McIntyre and Carr I could do without and Ruth Jones is a total unknown (to me).

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Paperhouse posted:

yeah I'm actually looking forward to seeing Richard Ayoade in it, I've no idea what he'll be like but he's been excellent in everything I've seen him do and I imagine he's a naturally funny guy. Alan Carr and Michael McIntyre can gently caress off though

Ayoade was on the Big Fat Annniversary Quiz (celebrating 25 years of Channel 4) with David Mitchell. He was really good if you ask me. Him and Mitchell gelled fine as the token nerd team (or, as Ayoade suggesting indignantly after several allusions to them not exactly being jocks while discussing team names "Look, let's just call us the Speccy Nerdy Fucknuts and get on with it")

You can probably find it on youtube.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Domalom posted:

I haven't seen it yet, but I was hoping it would be good, not because of Boyle, but because Rab Florence is a writer for it.

He is? drat, that's disappointing. I've liked Rab ever since the early Consolevanias and thought Burnistoun was pretty drat good for the most part. Sad to hear he's involved in this poo poo.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Herring just a script editor for like one show? He did several bits on AIOTM about how he only worked there for a really short while (and mainly for the free Haribos)

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I reckon it's mostly that McIntyre is so overexposed at the moment. Among comedians he seems to be thought of as a decent guy who's getting more fame, fortune and success than he deserves. Like Joe Stalin said a lot of grumpy comedians (like Lee, whom I love) seem to think he hasn't earned his dues, so to speak. Personally I don't have a problem with him, even if I'm not actively going to seek out anything he does. He's a decent but unexciting observational comedy dude.

If I lived in the UK I might have been fed up as all hell though, who knows.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't mind Corden when he's hosting a League of Their Own, but Horne & Corden was dreadful, he seems to have a reputation (among disgruntled colleagues perhaps?) of only hanging around with other celebrities now that he has made it, and he needs to stop joking about his weight. A lot of fat comedians do it and it's always about as fun as hearing comedians from ethnic minorities tell us about their hilarious parents.

In conclusion white people eh eh eh, black people doo doo doo. Skinny people eh eh eh fat people doo doo doo. Straight people eh eh eh gay people doo doo doo.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

haywire posted:

It seems to be getting ever increasingly common for large companies to hire comic personalities to do their ads. Kinda depressing, I can't imagine it's a hard life being a massively popular TV personality, so selling out to adverts just seems greedy. On the other hand, it doesn't really affect anything (like musicians watering down their sound for well paying contracts), so I guess it's okay.

I just hope that these "endorsements" don't mean that these people are bound from saying certain things in order to keep sponsors happy.

Well I'll give it to you straight...

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

You've listened to Infinite Monkey Cage on Radio 4 right? Brian Cox pairs with Robin Ince there, and they get some good guests on. Doesn't seem to be any on iPlayer right now, but they podcast it so you can just add it to your RSS feed or iTunes.

The best episode ever was when they had Paul Foot on, being himself to a ludicrous degree.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Padje posted:

I turned on about halfway through and caught a clip of some TV call in gameshow I remember used to take over every channel a few years back. The presenter was revealing the 'answers' to the clue 'hand' and each one could earn the caller money. The answers were things like 'handan' and 'handcuff bracelet chain' and and 'handsome dog you've got there, Barry' and 'handover fist, blinf blang bloop' and other seemingly made up phrases. If anyone knows how to locate this on youtube, I would be pleased.

This?

(about three minutes in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a6ttnaeNmI

edit: I guess this isn't quite as outlandish as your description but it seems like a pretty good fit anyway.

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 5, 2011

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Adrianics posted:

Big Fat Quiz was my first experience of Richard Ayoade outside of IT Crowd and I've got to say that I didn't care for it.

Oh my loving God it doesn't get funnier and funnier the more you do that "I'm going to pretend I don't know the answer and write down whatever random butterfly roundabout jellyfish in a purple tinted turtleneck bullshit pops into my oh-so-precious head" shut up shut up SHUT UP

and yeah, just to prove I'm not biased: The rest of it was poo poo, too. I only got to March so maybe it got amazing after that, I don't know.

The whole monkey cheese purple dishwasher oh god how wacky-stuff is more of Noel Fielding's thing though. He does that in any situation. Ayoade was on the Big Fat Quiz previously, paired with David Mitchell and was pretty drat good. But this year's edition certainly wasn't a home run, even if I'm not as down on it as most people seem to be.

edit: If there's one thing that TBFQ needs it's Rob Brydon. I'm not in love with the man but his whole fatherly, slightly condescending thing has worked great when he's been on.

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 6, 2011

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The worst panel show lineup would be
Jack Whitehall (just terrible)
Charlie Higson (seems like a sweet man but is completely lost on panel shows and somehow still gets booked from time to time)
Germaine Greer (why on earth is she doing panel shows and comedy quizzes?)

vs

Peter Serafinowicz (another one of those guys who can be funny but not in panel shows. That, or he just gets shat on by the editors in anything he's on)
Keith Chegwin (self explanatory. He did some panel shows while promoting his latest book. Oh the cringing...)
Ruby Wax (just terrible)

and the kicker? Andy Parson would host it.

Also, by "that Nigerian chick", do people mean Andi Osho? She's not great but she's not THAT bad. Or maybe she is, and I'm just cutting her slack because I find her really attractive. :shobon:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah I knew there was another Nigerian female stand up, but I couldn't pin it down!

Yeah, Gina is dreadful...

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Wait, people dislike Miles Jupp? What the-

As for the definitive worst panel show lineup, my picks were mostly off the top of my head people I could recall doing Buzzcocks or Mock the Week or You have been watching in the past year or two. If we're free to drag in people like Justin Lee Collins or Peter Kay then all bets are off.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hoisin Crispy Owl posted:

The drug takes control of your nervous system, like a...herbal terrorist.

Is there an applicable emoticon for "unnecessary moral panic"?

Pretty sure it's :derp:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't have a problem with someone calling out Mark Watson for advertising cider. It's obviously easy to be snide here in the peanut gallery but I really do get annoyed with people who definitely can make a comfortable living in the first place then decide to become the face of some product.

That said Frankie Boyle can go gently caress himself. He oscillates between moral grandstanding (ranting about how no comedian should be going after 40, or slagging off people for selling out) and doing the laziest, most unpalatable jokes picking on weak groups like the disabled. gently caress him.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
To be honest my main issue with Mark Watson isn't the Magners thing (thogh that's mainly because I never have to see/hear any of it. I had to look it up on youtube to know what Stwart Lee was referencing in his routine). What's really strange to me is him hosting a show as laddish as Mak Watson Kicks Off. He's always had a pretty nerdy image (god I love We Need Answers) and now he hosts a show with wank jokes, the odd bikini babe and loads of ~~sportz~~?

I don't mind really, it's just baffling.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Junkenstein posted:

The 'putting on a Welsh accent' thing was a bit weird, mind....

Yeah, especially how he waffled back and forth explaining it afterward.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
No real story to tell. When Mark Watson started doing standup he did it in a welsh accent. He's from a welsh family but grew up in Bristol and has no accent, apart form the one he used during stand ups. I've only read second hand sources regarding why he put on the accent but it's ranged from "He used to have an accent when he was growing up" to "He says he used it as part of his stage persona, because it added another dimension to his material". It's all just rather puzzling but who knows, maybe there is a really simple answer out there somewhere.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Flatscan posted:

His constant jokes about Kerry Katona? Those are the news reports and newspaper stories reduced to their fundamental "laugh at the nutter" roots. Jokes about Jordan's son? The "Look at my retarded kid" intent of every time she parades him in front of the the cameras made explicit. The tourettes and downs jokes? Direct responses to the so called "documentaries" they show these days that are no different than paying your shilling to bait the inmates of Bedlam.

Really? Really?
"Direct responses"?

This interpretation is beyond generous to Boyle. This is like saying that because racism exists in the media, any racist joke is simply a satire of the current media climate.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Flatscan posted:

Like where he says "Did you see that Channel 4 documentary on tourettes?" I'd call that pretty loving direct.

I bet you're one of the retards that denounces In Sickness and in Health as racist.

I'm not from the UK, and I have no idea what In Sickness and in Health is. But good to see you're keeping a a high level of discourse, going with "retard" after one post questioning your point? :bravo:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Flatscan posted:

A) Try google.
B) Try addressing my point rather than my idiolect.

Strangely, I don't feel inclined to jack poo poo for you after you come out all guns blazing acting like a loving idiot.

Algol Star posted:

Re Derren Brown, does anyone know how the spirit cabinet is done? Know the original was just the medium but I can't work out how Brown's version is done, at least one must be a stooge.

Also, does anyone else get the impression that Brown is just a new type of magician except instead of convincing people he's magical he just plays off simple tricks as this amazing psychology? I know some of it relies on his being a Savant and I can believe that but I can spot a lot of his leads that he gives for his tricks and sometimes pick out where it's going but it seems too obvious, like it's left there to fool anyone who's looking for it and make it seem like more than it is. Regardless, he's a great showman and great fun to watch, one of the greats.

Yeah, Derren's greatest masterstroke is presenting himself and his tricks as some sort of nearly superhuman psychological tricks when they are in fact mostly about misdirection and obfuscation. I usually really like him but he seems to have made his mannerisms even more full on in Enigma, which gets annoying.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What comedian could they possibly dig up to (unironically) argue a conservative standpoint?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I admit I turned off Episodes about ten minutes in. There was nothing wrong with the premise, and I can't fault the casting - I like Mangan/Grieg/LeBlanc - but my GOD were the jokes obvious. It was downright baffling, the way they set up a premise and started hammering it home from the first goddamn scene and what then followed was a long list of EXACTLY the jokes you had been primed to expect, delivered in a thoroughly unexciting manner. It did absolutely nothing for me.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I really wanted to like Whites, and initially - I did. But the goddamn milquetoast chef that everything centered around was such an unlikable pushover that I ended up not watching entirely because of him. Shame really, a lot of it was solid stuff.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Some Strange Flea posted:

Just out of curiosity, what's the general feeling about that radio show what he did? So Wrong It's Right. I thought it was pretty funny!

It was an archetypal radio banter show. Ie a flimsy premise to get some comedians on to joke around a bit with each other. It was good, solid, predictable fun.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Metrication posted:

Also, new Louis Theroux tonight about ultra zionists. BBC 2 at 9PM.

I love Theroux but I might explode with rage if I actually watch this.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Here's the bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYM_Jy20Fcg#t=3m40s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOJXT6UFhQI

edit: Burnistoun was uneven as all gently caress but when it was good it was really good