Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

HoldYourFire posted:

Fixed that for you :suicide:

Spoilers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Graviton v2 posted:

Our treasonous upstart cousins have a lot of silly bugger notions about sport old chap.

Baseball was invented in Britain.

QI told me so.

And QI is back on next week!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

10 O'Clock Live officially confirmed by Channel 4. 15 hour-long episodes, probably Thursdays or Fridays. Placeholder image of the Lauren pasted next to the Alternative Election Night promo photos.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Graviton v2 posted:

loving nice, the old ones have been on repeat so long now I thought they might have packed it in or maybe Stephen had a particually bad depressive episode.

The new episodes were recorded months ago, I have no idea why they wait so long to put it out. Ross Noble makes his QI debut this series!

According to some Stephen Fry interview, one regular insists on seeing the questions ahead of time (as opposed to all of them, as I had assumed), and went on to insist it wasn't Alan or Rob Brydon. Popular opinion is Rory McGrath, but I think people's opinions are coloured by his "cheating" on They Think It's All Over, when he's actually very clever from what I can gather, and I think only did it because it was funny. Honestly the show wasn't that great looking back, compared to Buzzcocks or HIGNFY in their primes, one of the few strong memories I have of it is Hancock getting annoyed at Rory's sometimes-blatant cheating.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

gently caress yeah, Four Lions arrived in the post. Anyone got a cardboard slim style DVD box instead of the usual plastic issue?

I think that's standard, had a quick look at the box (with almost no text on it) and I think it was card. The sturdy kind, not really slim if you asked me. Nice case.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

New QI tonight, it's even the one I was looking forward to, Phil Jupitus, Jack Dee and Ross Noble.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sort of UK TV related: Stephen Fry to play Mycroft Holmes in the sequel to last year's movie.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

It is!

Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan! Dan! no wait he hasn't seen us...Dan!

On the subject of Coogan, Saxondale worth getting on DVD?

gently caress yes.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

lionlegs posted:

New Harry Hill tonight! :dance:

New Louis Theroux tomorrow! :dance:

It really is a good thing you posted this because honestly how could any of us know this without actually having to watch loving ITV.

I had a leaf through his new book yesterday, think I may have to pick it up, I really loved Flight From Deathrow, though it's been years since I read it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

slotbadger posted:

I heard that. I think it was on Robin Ince & Josie Long's Utter Shambles, which is an excellent podcast. I don't think Jupitus thought it was out of order, he's pretty loving blunt with himself about being a fat gently caress. If you listen to the Perfect 10, he's constantly on diets and usually off alcohol too.

I think it was a recent QI, with the question about the "baseline specimen" of humanity that he said his body type was "a duvet stuffed with meat".

I've never had a problem with him, I liked him on Buzzcocks when I was still watching it and his contributions to panel shows. I think I've only seen him do actual standup on "We Know Where You Live, Live!" when he did a good bit about who should have been Obi Wan in the Star Wars prequels.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

justcola posted:

“Harry Hill encapsulates everything wrong with British society. What signals is he sending out to his big white shirt and large NHS spectacles? Fooling about, a qualified doctor needed by everybody.” - Mark E. Smith

loving self-determination! :argh:

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 23, 2010

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

That's not the edit button. That's not the edit button at all!

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 23, 2010

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Time to see how funny this is after this much time, with only the sound on, whilst working.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

If anyone's not seen it yet, this weeks QI features Eddie Izzard, I think for the first time since the pilot. Also Danny Baker, who I'm sure we're all wishing well.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Ddraig posted:

Man, I just read about Baker and that's a really lovely thing to happen. Hope he recovers quickly.

QI is prerecorded way before it's aired, though, so that's probably an episode where he didn't even know.

I think he's known for a while, he apparently made reference to his "radioactive medicine" on his radio show.

Leyburn posted:

This seems to be on the iPlayer, not listened to it yet, but it might be good. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00p84qc/Red_Dwarf_Infinity_Welcomes_Careful_Drivers_Episode_1/

I remember it being good, it's basically the audio book with sound effects from back when BBC radio did awesome things like that and Batman: Knightfall.

There will probably be times you think you are listening to the rest of the cast, Chris Barrie does every single one of them perfectly.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

Have they stopped putting QI XL on then? Used to be put up On Demand over the weekends, have no idea when it was actually on the telly but for the past couple weeks it hasn't been put up. Wanted to see more of Eddie Izzard.

I think it's just a matter of if the material is there to do an extended one. Or they may just decide it based on what else is on that Saturday.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

osici posted:

The whole season has been good so far. The Catherine Tate one was the weakest.

This should really go without saying.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

No, the worst part is when she runs around in her underwear.

No! That's not true! That's impossible!!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Best thing about 4oD and iPlayer is you barely see any obnoxious adverts.

And absolutely no adverts on 4oD if you install ABP.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

fuf posted:

How does adblock manage to block video ads, that's crazy. Crazy awesome.

Black magic, think it recognizes content not coming from 4oD or something. It does mean you will usually have a bit in the middle where it will need to stop and stream again where the ads should be. I have a mate who's always had ABP and had a sudden moment of realization when I explained that to him, he never realized there were meant to be ads to begin with.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I see all my favourites save one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUKOebCbINc

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Raeg posted:

For radio, it'd be worth giving Just a Minute and I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue a try.

When something doesn't seem to make sense, listen for a few more episodes, then you'll get it.

Been a while since I last saw a forum game of Mornington Crescent, good times.

You'll probably also like "Would I Lie To You", similar concept to the Unbelievable Truth but with more in common with normal panel games rather than being monologue-based, and has David Mitchell as a team captain. Gets similar participants to 8 Out of 10 and QI as well.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Akuma posted:

You know, I've come to hate the word "banter." It gets used so much it's lost all meaning. JUST A BIT O BANTER INNIT. That may be in large part due to having to design a video game around a heavily "banter-based" panel show and getting frustrated and having to ask people to quantify what "a bit of banter" actually means from a gameplay perspective. poo poo those were some long design meetings.

You watch a lot of Dave's continuity then? What was the game, if you can tell us?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

thehustler posted:

His observations are usually so out of left field, that's the funny part. It's not his gags, it's the little details that he sees that NOBODY else would notice.

"Have you ever noticed how you start looking like your clocks?"

I really don't understand how anyone can be upset by Harry Hill. He's on ITV, so it's not like it's hard to avoid him.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Twitter tells me David Mitchell and Ross Noble are panelists on QI tonight, so high expectations since they have been good contributors I think. That's Ross's third appearance this series, surprising since they are also his first appearances.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

thehustler posted:

That's it! He said it on Mock the Week

I think it was on Would I Lie To You.

I can't remember if it was true or not.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Noonsaliwah posted:

e: Oh poo poo, this was meant for the X Factor thread, how did I end up here?

Get out, before you shame yourself further.

Noonsaliwah posted:

So, uh... What'd everyone think of an evening with Michael Buble? I love that guy, and he came off as genuinely funny, even if all the audience questions were scripted.

Too late..

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

Did he have the Canadian guy doing the support? I found the Canadian much better than the main attraction to be honest.

I suspect you're talking about Stewart Francis by the way, and yeah, he's really good.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Padje posted:

Is that the one-liner guy from Children In Need Mastermind?

Not seen it but he is very much a one-liner guy. Sounds like he's channelling Steve Martin a lot of the time.

"I do tell a lot of racist jokes, but that's okay, all my friends are racist too."

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Uncertain Frog posted:

Speaking of Ross Noble and Paul Merton, ITV made a show called something like Thank God You're Here based on an Australian version that Ross used to show up on alot. Did they ever make more than one series? It was hilarious.

Speaking of Ross Noble, I'm seeing his stand-up tonight :smug:

Wiki says there was only the one series and it didn't perform well. Offhand I will attribute this to being too good for ITV.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Ratjaculation posted:

I think that Paul should become the host and they should get someone far less Daily Mail than Ian "I don't understand football - look at audience, lean head" Hislop to replace Paul as team captain.

Stewart Lee - but he hates doing panel shows

There are many legitimate criticisms you can level at Ian Hislop but it is in no way fair to call him "Daily Mail".

Ross Noble was great tonight, I've now seen him kill 5 guinea pigs (flogged) one budgie (stomped upon by the UN) and one panda (beaten)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Padje posted:

Ollie from the Thick of It would be perfect (I've forgotten his real name!)

Chris Addison.

Has the BBC decided Andy Zaltzman has "a face for radio"? Why is he never on the panel shows? Think he'd be good in place of Merton.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

slotbadger posted:

Chris Addison and Andy Zaltzman currently do an excellent news show for Radio 5, along with thread-confirmed goon-totty Sarah Millican. It is called "Seven Day Sunday". You should all go get the podcast.

I already do, it's was what I was mostly thinking of since he get's to do radio work quite a bit, he's been on radio 4 a bit too.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Trickjaw posted:

Well, Corrie was fun. I was in tears laughing as Rita was killed by a cascade of weighed sweeties. Those loving midget gems are deadly.

To be honest, it reminded me of nothing so much as the Earthquake ride at Universal Studios.

Wha...haha...what? Please let this be on YouTube. Did no one realise there is no way for that to not be funny?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

wickles posted:

Or this could happen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKOJnMh8Zqo

Incredible.

Edit: content! I just marathoned The Trip, fantastic show, you have until tomorrow evening to see it on iPlayer.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 13, 2010

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Okay, all the suggestions have been pretty great but I can just imagine the joy Brian Blessed would get choosing to dress up as Historical characters every week.

As if he needs an excuse!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Zorba the Greek posted:

Wow, sorry I just had a brain fart. Ugh, that looks pretty poo poo. I don't mind Alan Carr but the rest are just pure shite.

What? Do you mean Jimmy Carr? Because if you so much as "don't mind" Alan Carr you should really be put out of your misery.

LE0N posted:

A reminder that last year mitchell and brooker hardly made any jokes or any attempt really to make people laugh and were oddly quiet and forgettable during the usual banter-filled quiz of the year. They even played up the "heh we are old fuddy duddies" routine till it wasnt funny and got tiresome.

I think literally all they did was give the right answers and do nothing else.

"A trombone made of lacquered poo poo?" is probably the most memorable line of the night.

Anyway, lineup looks poor even when I don't take as dim a view of them as some. Alan Carr has no business on TV. Or stage. Or land.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

There's a new BBC2 sitcom starting a week tomorrow. It's called Episodes (thus making it impossible to google). It's a BBC-Showtime co-production, set on the set of a fictional British Sitcom disastrously being remade in the US. It's written by one of the Friends creators (David Crane) and somebody who has a string of short-lived sitcoms (Jeffrey Klarik) and stars Matt LeBlanc. I can't help feel it might be a humongous train-wreck.

Thanks for saving me a Google, I was sat across from someone reading about this on a train, so just saw promo pictures of Matt LeBlanc with Steve Mangan and Tamsin Greig. Worth noting that LeBlanc will be playing a caricature of himself (I don't really know what that entails, is that just Joey?)

It's an interesting idea, what with so many UK shows and formats being attempted in the US, though maybe it's a bit late since the US Office actually became a success and has merit of it's own.

The idea's good enough that I will probably give it a shot unless I see some really bad preview material for it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Akuma posted:

We saw all of that spread over 10 years. Honestly I don't think you're remembering right. When they're at the coffee house or at home it's before or after work, or at the weekend. It's not hard to reconcile, especially since all of them but Ross spent time unemployed.

He was put on sabbatical or something though (which he would stress angrily whenever it was implied he was sent home for being crazy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

It always annoyed me that the ads would say a Mac can do "fun stuff" like, erm, photos and videos and music (and of course, PCs have followed suit there now) and yet there is no mention of games.

Not as annoying as the Mac/PC arguments that occurred before then:

"A Mac is way more powerful than a PC!"
"Are you comparing like for like valued machines?"
"Of course not! The Mac is three times as much!"
"What if you compared these two identically priced machines?"
"But it's not a Mac!"

Mitchell and Webb seem fairly mercurial about advertising, That Mitchell and Webb Book has a bunch of "rejected campaigns" that send up the Apple ads.