Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«149 »
Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004
The Benefactor

go3 posted:

You're not going to convince IT guy since he is a cast-iron idiot. If you want change, convince the people above/around him.

"My lovely laptop I got for $300 at walmart runs our software twice as fast as the machines you just finished building for us, why is that? Were they even cheaper than $300?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wake up and
smell the murder.

Aquila posted:

Probably never. Intel is very bad about actually bringing enterprise ssd's to market, and demand for the P3600 and P3700 is phenomenal.

KHAAAAAAN!

I really, really want those drat drives when I refresh our server offerings. Unless anyone else can think of a good PCIe SSD for write-heavy(ish) loads <$1.50/GB.

KillHour fucked around with this message at Sep 18, 2014 around 06:48

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

My name is a killing word.

I seem to remember Intel teasing a feature where they could basically sleep a computer, and then have it instantly wake up to (say) respond to an attempted connection. This was different from a typical Wake on Lan.

Anyone remember what I'm talking about? Is that feature in any of the NUC PCs?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

I can do sex. It's just alien sex.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I seem to remember Intel teasing a feature where they could basically sleep a computer, and then have it instantly wake up to (say) respond to an attempted connection. This was different from a typical Wake on Lan.

Anyone remember what I'm talking about? Is that feature in any of the NUC PCs?

Connected Standby?

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

My name is a killing word.

Not quite but this let me dig up what I was talking about.

quote:

Ready Mode essentially allows a 4th Gen Core processor (and presumably newer chips, which are slated to arrive later in the year), to enter a low C7 power state, while the OS and other system components remain connected and ready for action. Intel demoed the technology, and along with compatible third party applications and utilities, showed how Ready Mode can allow a mobile device to automatically sync to a PC to download and store photos. The PC could also remain in a low power state and stream media, server up files remotely, or receive VOIP calls. Ready Mode will be supported by a number of Intelís system partners in a variety of all-in-one type systems a little later in the year.
http://hothardware.com/News/Intel-O...nd-More-at-GDC/

More or less the same concept, but aimed at the desktop market instead of Atom processors and Metro apps.

I want this on a NUC or something similar as a low-power server. Doesn't look like it's available yet, though.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at Sep 19, 2014 around 20:59

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

C7 is disabled by default, because most PSUs except the most recent ones don't support it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Does HDMI 2.0 support just require a board redesign or does it require cpu support as well? Is it possible we could get some haswell boards with hdmi 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

I can do sex. It's just alien sex.

It requires a board redesign because of the huge clock speed increase, to 600 MHz from 340(?) MHz. Haswell and Broadwell support HDMI 1.4, not 2.0, and that's that.

«149 »