Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, see, that's not in-place updates, since the old crap keeps running, too. What I understand under such a term is to replace code in active processes, and that's just plain not practical.
You can't do it for an arbitrary piece of code, but it has been done for patching the Linux kernel. In fact, a company did it a while ago and was bought by Oracle. Even if you remap syscalls and bounce them around to new pages, that won't fix the problems with programs that might be referencing pointers to outdated data structures provided to them by the kernel. It especially won't help if there's been a data structure modification that requires some userspace cooperation to handle properly.

Malcolm XML posted:

looks like they might just dump broadwell entirely. Why even bother with Skylake so close and broadwell being essentially a marginal improvement?
I think the implication may be that Skylake could be getting delayed because of some of the delays occurring within Broadwell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

necrobobsledder posted:

I think the implication may be that Skylake could be getting delayed because of some of the delays occurring within Broadwell.

I'd be very surprised if most Skylake consumer parts don't slip to 2H 2015. We're not going to have any Broadwell in consumer channels until 2Q 2015 now, it almost doesn't make sense to produce Broadwell at all.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hasn't "The plan" been to just make mobile broadwells (Core-M stuff which is already in production) and skip the desktop versions entirely? Or something of that sort.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Rexxed posted:

The CPU will throttle itself at 99 or 100C down to like 800mhz until you stop trying to kill it. I forget the thermal limit but it might be 105C or something on the core? I wouldn't let it sit over 80C for long periods of time but 75 max is not a huge deal and that 80 is more of a personal preference thing (since the temperature monitoring isn't exactly what's on the core it could be warmer inside and I'd guess I have some bad cooling and it might get dusty and kick things up a few degrees or whatever). It's a little warm, sure, but not terrible.

If you're concerned and want lower temps the Hyper 212 EVO is like 30 bucks and goes on sale down to 25 regularly, it's just bulky and can be annoying to install if the motherboard is in the case and there's no cutout behind the cpu socket. I have an i5-4670K overclocked and the max temps I get are 68C or so with regular loads. Benchmarking and stability tools like Intel Burn Test and Prine95 can get it hotter but they're intended to do that (also don't run them if you're using adaptive voltage).

How do I know if I am using adaptive voltage?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Knifegrab posted:

How do I know if I am using adaptive voltage?

Check your BIOS.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd be very surprised if most Skylake consumer parts don't slip to 2H 2015. We're not going to have any Broadwell in consumer channels until 2Q 2015 now, it almost doesn't make sense to produce Broadwell at all.
I haven't kept close watch on the Broadwell and Skylake updates, but I would assume that the delays are due to the new process having issues. Since that's what Skylake should be on, whatever affects Broadwell process enhancements will affect Skylake. Have we ever had delays from Intel for anything besides new process problems (or that one pesky bug on Cougar Point I think it was)?

Gwaihir posted:

Hasn't "The plan" been to just make mobile broadwells (Core-M stuff which is already in production) and skip the desktop versions entirely? Or something of that sort.
They've gone back and forth but last I remember they were going to release just mobile versions and later introduce the desktop versions. Given the schedule slip and the rather serious burns to the bottom line, I would expect them to not bother with the desktop Broadwells anymore and just push enthusiasts to pick up Skylake. Intel has given itself a little time with the Haswell-E release I suppose.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrYenko posted:

I'm now putting together a new machine, because either my motherboard, or the i7 930 @ 4.2 that lives in it has finally given up the ghost. Lots of random crashes, even after I took the overclock out. :(

Nehalem was loving BEASTMODE though.

I was hoping to hold out for Skylake, but it simply wasn't to be.

My Nehalem chip LIVES. LONG LIVE OLD poo poo. :black101:

It ended up being a bad (read: cheap OCZ) SSD causing weird-rear end crashes. New Samsung drive, and I'ts running like new.

Twerk from Home posted:

What kind of voltage? That's an absolutely monster overclock, and if you were running high voltages to support it I'd absolutely expect the chip to not be in the best of shape 4 years later.

1.3875v Vcore. I don't really remember most of the settings. I got it stable, and just used the thing. For years.

It would run really, really loving hot (~97°C at full load, and I've spiked it even higher a handful of times, on accident,) even with an Evo212. I've abused the gently caress out of this chip, and it still won't die. I think I'm going to dial it back a bit until Skylake comes out, though.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is Broadwell or Skylark going to offer anything that's going to make me regret getting a Haswell in the next 2/3 months?

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Ragingsheep posted:

Is Broadwell or Skylark going to offer anything that's going to make me regret getting a Haswell in the next 2/3 months?

If you need to ask ... no.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

r0ck0 posted:

Check your BIOS.

I don't have anything called adaptive voltage in my bios but I do have something called adaptive thermal monitor enabled. Is this the same thing?

Could it be called Intel speed step technology?

Edit: never mind, I found it, all my voltage settings are set to auto, not adaptive, is that OK?

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 25, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Knifegrab posted:

I don't have anything called adaptive voltage in my bios but I do have something called adaptive thermal monitor enabled. Is this the same thing?

Could it be called Intel speed step technology?

Edit: never mind, I found it, all my voltage settings are set to auto, not adaptive, is that OK?

Uh sure its ok, what are you trying to do? I think you might be looking for:

Overclocking Megathread 3.11 for Workgroups
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465021

or

Haus of Tech Support
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

r0ck0 posted:

Uh sure its ok, what are you trying to do? I think you might be looking for:

Overclocking Megathread 3.11 for Workgroups
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3465021

or

Haus of Tech Support
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170

Not Overclocking at all, I just want to stress my cpu to make sure its not having any heat issues. A poster above mentioned that I should run some utilities but only if I am not on adaptive voltage.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

looks like they might just dump broadwell entirely. Why even bother with Skylake so close and broadwell being essentially a marginal improvement?

Skylake will be a new chipset and a new memory type, and both will have a premium (probably a pretty big one for the memory)

Broadwell will socket right into existing motherboards and use existing, cheap memory.

Producing both might seem foolish, but intel has already done all the work to get broadwell to market, so the additional cost of actually making and delivering it is very small by comparison, and there is certainly a segment of the market to fulfill. We still see older pentium and core2 CPU's being made simply to meet a cost:value market niche.

I'm betting the performance of skylake and broadwell for most day to day loads, and even for most gaming loads, will be effectively identical.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

EoRaptor posted:

Broadwell will socket right into existing motherboards* and use existing, cheap memory.

*Existing 9 series chipset motherboards.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

Jan posted:

*Existing 9 series chipset motherboards.

Yes, sorry, also only if they get a firmware update and some just wont ever work, etc, etc. I just always assume that will be the case for this type of thing.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Anyone want a Xeon Phi 31S1P for $195 $150, cooling solution not included?

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 29, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Will this get me 60fps in farcry 3?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

r0ck0 posted:

Will this get me 60fps in farcry 3?

With 57 cores, how can it not? I suggest buying ten or twenty.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
That's bonkers. That's like an 85% discount. Did they fall off a truck?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What is that thing anyway? A GPU that isn't a GPU?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

No Gravitas posted:

What is that thing anyway? A GPU that isn't a GPU?

It's an add in card with 57 Intel Atom cores on it. It's Intel's version of Nvidia's Tesla co-compute cards.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lowen SoDium posted:

It's an add in card with 57 Intel Atom cores on it. It's Intel's version of Nvidia's Tesla co-compute cards.

poo poo, sounds pretty cool actually. I don't suppose I can boot Linux on that?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

As could be expected for a 270W card with no fan, cooling is *very* important for these. If you're interested, look at the Supermicro 4U passively cooled GPU/Phi chassis to see what they do.

No Gravitas posted:

poo poo, sounds pretty cool actually. I don't suppose I can boot Linux on that?

It runs Linux. You can SSH to it.

They aren't Atom cores, they're Original Pentium (P54C) cores without out-of-order execution, 4-way hyperthreading, and an wide-rear end vector unit bolted on. Next-gen will have Atom.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PCjr sidecar posted:

As could be expected for a 270W card with no fan, cooling is *very* important for these. If you're interested, look at the Supermicro 4U passively cooled GPU/Phi chassis to see what they do.

It runs Linux. You can SSH to it.

They aren't Atom cores, they're Original Pentium (P54C) cores without out-of-order execution, 4-way hyperthreading, and an wide-rear end vector unit bolted on. Next-gen will have Atom.

So it will run GNU Octave 20+ times at once?

If so, this is exactly what I need.

Except cooling. And power supply.

poo poo... Hmm...

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

No Gravitas posted:

So it will run GNU Octave 20+ times at once?

If so, this is exactly what I need.

Except cooling. And power supply.

poo poo... Hmm...

You'd need to recompile Octave (the architecture is technically not 'i386/x86_64' but 'k1om'.) There's only 8 GB of RAM on-card, so there may not be enough memory. If you're doing anything but large floating-point matrix algebra you're not going to get very good individual performance (a single core is about 1/10th the performance of a desktop core on integer workloads.)

If you compile Octave with the MKL on the host or your desktop you can use the automatic offload to send large matrices to the card for processing automatically.

At $150, they're very cheap FLOPS if you can use them.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

PCjr sidecar posted:

Ah, you are correct.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

That's not something MKL would automatically use if available though, right? It would need to be explicitly redesigned to use it.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Ika posted:

That's not something MKL would automatically use if available though, right? It would need to be explicitly redesigned to use it.

https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/11MIC42_How_to_Use_MKL_Automatic_Offload_0.pdf

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Someone buy one and tell me if it's legit or if you get a rock in a box. TIA.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

KillHour posted:

Colfax and Advanced Clustering are legit.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

So is this basically what became of the Larrabee project?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

KillHour posted:

They're on sale everywhere; apparently Intel's about to announce the next generation or something.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, yes. Oh, yes. I want this.

What kind of cooling does it need?

Does it just plug into PCIe or something?

atomicthumbs posted:

They're on sale everywhere; apparently Intel's about to announce the next generation or something.

Can you give me some links? I think I want one, but I don't want to buy from that company. Some system with a checkout cart and all that, maybe?

This is almost exactly what I need for my work.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
FYI - There's a 3rd party company selling the same model on Amazon for $80.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

The_Franz posted:

So is this basically what became of the Larrabee project?

Yep.

atomicthumbs posted:

Next generation architecture is Knight's Landing, which has been announced earlier this year. The first announced delivery of systems based on those are NERSC and NNSA machines scheduled for delivery in 2016 and I'd be surprised if there was general availability before then. I'd also be surprised if they did a die shrink of Knight's Corner.

These are the low-bin Phi parts and I'd guess Intel is fire-saleing them to clear inventory / build the developer community / gently caress with NVIDIA. If they are planning a revision, Supercomputing is in three weeks, I'd expect an announcement there.

No Gravitas posted:

Oh, yes. Oh, yes. I want this.

What kind of cooling does it need?

Does it just plug into PCIe or something?

http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/7048/SYS-7048GR-TR.cfm

For four cards, Supermicro has 2 80mm fans front & rear.

PCIe Gen 2 + a couple PCIe of video power connectors.

quote:

Can you give me some links? I think I want one, but I don't want to buy from that company. Some system with a checkout cart and all that, maybe?

This is almost exactly what I need for my work.

Linked earlier: http://www.colfaxdirect.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2642

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

PCjr sidecar posted:

For four cards, Supermicro has 2 80mm fans front & rear.

are four 80mm fans really enough to dissipate 1.08 kilowatts of computing power heat

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

atomicthumbs posted:

are four 80mm fans really enough to dissipate 1.08 kilowatts of computing power heat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0osWXSfWPsc

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

atomicthumbs posted:

Server-grade 80mm fans can push some serious air. Loudly.

fakedit: ^^ Good demonstration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

atomicthumbs posted:

That should be plenty. These put out about the same amount of heat as a 290x and those work fine with just a single fan blower. It won't be a quiet solution but it will certainly work.