Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«156 »
necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, see, that's not in-place updates, since the old crap keeps running, too. What I understand under such a term is to replace code in active processes, and that's just plain not practical.
You can't do it for an arbitrary piece of code, but it has been done for patching the Linux kernel. In fact, a company did it a while ago and was bought by Oracle. Even if you remap syscalls and bounce them around to new pages, that won't fix the problems with programs that might be referencing pointers to outdated data structures provided to them by the kernel. It especially won't help if there's been a data structure modification that requires some userspace cooperation to handle properly.

Malcolm XML posted:

looks like they might just dump broadwell entirely. Why even bother with Skylake so close and broadwell being essentially a marginal improvement?
I think the implication may be that Skylake could be getting delayed because of some of the delays occurring within Broadwell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

necrobobsledder posted:

I think the implication may be that Skylake could be getting delayed because of some of the delays occurring within Broadwell.

I'd be very surprised if most Skylake consumer parts don't slip to 2H 2015. We're not going to have any Broadwell in consumer channels until 2Q 2015 now, it almost doesn't make sense to produce Broadwell at all.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009

Hasn't "The plan" been to just make mobile broadwells (Core-M stuff which is already in production) and skip the desktop versions entirely? Or something of that sort.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

G = Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with the knife!

Rexxed posted:

The CPU will throttle itself at 99 or 100C down to like 800mhz until you stop trying to kill it. I forget the thermal limit but it might be 105C or something on the core? I wouldn't let it sit over 80C for long periods of time but 75 max is not a huge deal and that 80 is more of a personal preference thing (since the temperature monitoring isn't exactly what's on the core it could be warmer inside and I'd guess I have some bad cooling and it might get dusty and kick things up a few degrees or whatever). It's a little warm, sure, but not terrible.

If you're concerned and want lower temps the Hyper 212 EVO is like 30 bucks and goes on sale down to 25 regularly, it's just bulky and can be annoying to install if the motherboard is in the case and there's no cutout behind the cpu socket. I have an i5-4670K overclocked and the max temps I get are 68C or so with regular loads. Benchmarking and stability tools like Intel Burn Test and Prine95 can get it hotter but they're intended to do that (also don't run them if you're using adaptive voltage).

How do I know if I am using adaptive voltage?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Knifegrab posted:

How do I know if I am using adaptive voltage?

Check your BIOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd be very surprised if most Skylake consumer parts don't slip to 2H 2015. We're not going to have any Broadwell in consumer channels until 2Q 2015 now, it almost doesn't make sense to produce Broadwell at all.
I haven't kept close watch on the Broadwell and Skylake updates, but I would assume that the delays are due to the new process having issues. Since that's what Skylake should be on, whatever affects Broadwell process enhancements will affect Skylake. Have we ever had delays from Intel for anything besides new process problems (or that one pesky bug on Cougar Point I think it was)?

Gwaihir posted:

Hasn't "The plan" been to just make mobile broadwells (Core-M stuff which is already in production) and skip the desktop versions entirely? Or something of that sort.
They've gone back and forth but last I remember they were going to release just mobile versions and later introduce the desktop versions. Given the schedule slip and the rather serious burns to the bottom line, I would expect them to not bother with the desktop Broadwells anymore and just push enthusiasts to pick up Skylake. Intel has given itself a little time with the Haswell-E release I suppose.

«156 »